• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sony Q4 FY2021 (Jan-Mar) Results - PS5: 2.0m (LTD: 19.3m), PS4: 116.9m (+0.1m) / 47.4m PS+ Subscribers / FY2022 forecast : 18m

Waiting for ArmGunar thread to be published, but in the meantime, this should do:

Screenshot_20220510-082526.png

They are forecasting 18M PS5 for the upcoming FY, which would be a significant increase.

18m forecast for this FY points to big numbers, they just made it look worse by initially aiming for the biggest year for a PS console.

That is a gigantic revenue forecast for FY3/2023.

18M PS5 HW for FY3/2023 makes a lot more sense than Sony's initial 23M+ prediction (i.e. biggest annual HW sales ever for a PlayStation platform) but it is still very high. Let's hope they have the supply to reach that number.

18m Ps5
Lets see if they can manage to produce and ship that.
This number is still 9m during the holidays and 3m every other quarter.

Quite a downgrade from the original forecasts last year.

Last edited:
I don't understand what he mean for real(my English is not enough)

And side note: Monthly active users and PlayStation Plus subscribers also dropped in Jan-Mar.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out what a reason psvr2 number is and how much of the revenue increase it would account for.

Their forecast was 14.8m and they missed by 3.3m, so I'm not much confident they will actually hit 18m, but would be a significant improvement in supply, so it will be good for gamers if they can ship that many consoles.

Last edited:
I don't understand what he mean for real(my English is not enough)

And side note: Monthly active users and PlayStation Plus subscribers also dropped in Jan-Mar.

For whatever reason Gibson thinks because PS5 supply will rise, switch’s should too and thus it should sell 26 million this coming FY instead of their predicted 21M, calling it conservative. This of course ignores the declines in sales isn’t so much stock related (or really at all) but demand related.

That 18m forecast is more than the 17.70m the PS4 shipped in it's second full fiscal year. For 18m they will need a an average of 3.33m for Q1, 2 & 4 and an 8m Q3. We will have to wait untill next fiscal year for that coveted 20+m.

Last edited:
Its proved that PS Plus hit the peak and can't break 50 million. Let's see how much Sony can improve with the new tiers.

The new tiers will certainly increase revenue/profit but I doubt they will improve the number of subscribers unless they make a big push on PC/Mobile.

For whatever reason Gibson thinks because PS5 supply will rise, switch’s should too and thus it should sell 26 million this coming FY instead of their predicted 21M, calling it conservative. This of course ignores the declines in sales isn’t so much stock related (or really at all) but demand related.
Thanks. So, I understood correctly what he means. Just that I didn't want to believe this is what he truly said

there's nothing about PS4? Can we officially call 117 million as the final number?

EDIT: Nvm can't read lmao

6m more ps5 should be a 10% increase in total revenue, right?
Also the usd/eur strength looks to increase the revenue by 6-10% based on the revenue distribution per country

PS4 leg is like dead on track. We will see how the new PS+ tier goes there. Maybe it can be a good injection of life for the number there.

This is inaccurate. Switch sales declines from original projections were due to production capacity this fiscal year, not reduced demand. Nintendo is being conservative based on supply, not demand.

The impact of production capacity on shipments is much more significant for Sony right now, of course. They’re selling millions less than they would be able to with a normal supply for this point in a console’s life cycle.

This is inaccurate. Switch sales declines from original projections were due to production capacity this fiscal year, not reduced demand. Nintendo is being conservative based on supply, not demand.
I’m talking about next fiscal year. And no Nintendo is not being conservative with a 21 million forecast. That is a huge amount and the idea they’d be able to sell 26 million this coming FY is completely outside the realm of possibility.

I’m talking about next fiscal year. And no Nintendo is not being conservative with a 21 million forecast. That is a huge amount and the idea they’d be able to sell 26 million this coming FY is completely outside the realm of possibility.
I 100% agree that 26 million is outside the realm of possibility, but I think 21 million is being conservative. OLED is driving sales growth and not consistently in stock yet, though it’s getting better. If supply improves, I would expect sales around 23-24 million for the year. I just don’t think production capacity will make that possible. Switch isn’t nearly as impacted by this than Sony and Microsoft, but they are being impacted.

I 100% agree that 26 million is outside the realm of possibility, but I think 21 million is being conservative. OLED is driving sales growth and not consistently in stock yet, though it’s getting better. If supply improves, I would expect sales around 23-24 million for the year. I just don’t think production capacity will make that possible. Switch isn’t nearly as impacted by this than Sony and Microsoft, but they are being impacted.
Eh, it will depend on when the bottom drops out for the OLED in terms of demand then. I think that will happen during this FY, but we’ll see.

Eh, it will depend on when the bottom drops out for the OLED in terms of demand then. I think that will happen during this FY, but we’ll see.
If that happens, they will have to adjust the projection down somewhere along the line.

I think is possible(if they can make that much console) but the given profit and software sales number doesn't fit. And I don't see any reason for them to do this.
I am talking about price cut + a lot of bundle.

I thought Jim Ryan said PS4 wasn't discontinued. Those numbers certainly look like it's on the brink.

11.5M PS5's for the fiscal year is decent. They look like PS3 numbers which is not good after all that talk of it being the fastest selling console. Shortages weren't kind to Sony this year.

Its proved that PS Plus hit the peak and can't break 50 million. Let's see how much Sony can improve with the new tiers.
I think this is one of the very reasons we are seeing Spartacus. If you can't grow in pure volume, then you should increase the ARPU (and that's what they'll do).
I thought Jim Ryan said PS4 wasn't discontinued. Those numbers certainly look like it's on the brink.

11.5M PS5's for the fiscal year is decent. They look like PS3 numbers which is not good after all that talk of it being the fastest selling console. Shortages weren't kind to Sony this year.
PS4 resuming production is for the following FY (so the current one), you won't see any effect in the FY Q4 numbers. Still, the increase we are talking about is very modest (1m).

I think this is one of the very reasons we are seeing Spartacus. If you can't grow in pure volume, then you should increase the ARPU (and that's what they'll do).

PS4 resuming production is for the following FY (so the current one), you won't see any effect in the FY Q4 numbers. Still, the increase we are talking about is very modest (1m).
I see. It's weird that they would halt production for so long just to restart it for a new FY. It's better than nothing.

18 million PS5s shipped next year is decent considering all the struggles Sony has with manufacturing. Hopefully they'll be able to beat that number, because with how quickly last-gen died and how Game Pass becomes a bigger and bigger factor on Xbox, the PS5 install base will be very important for console-focused publishers.

As allan-bn pointed out, it's clear that PS+ can't reach above 50M in its current form and the restructuring of the subscription service couldn't have come later. Hopefully it works. That said, the number of MAU remains very stable too. Of course they sell only a single-digit million number of consoles every quarter, but from the looks, it's mostly people migrating from PS4 to PS5, and not really attracting many new customers at this point. Perhaps that will change as shipments get bigger.

The overall forecast for the G&NS segment is excellent. The lower profit forecast has mostly to do with the planned acquisition of Bungie. Looking forward to Sony's software plans for this year. I'm also curious if the slower-than-anticipated PS5 adoption has any impact on their plans for the PSVR2 rollout.

I believe that Switch will reach 5M in Japan this FY year due to a very strong September to December period(Splatoon 3 & Scarlet/Violet).
So I cannot really see them not surpassing 21M by a decent chunk without some major disruption like lockdowns in China & Vietnam.

Q: Is Sony's Steam releases included in the Playstation software or where are they accounted for?

14.5M first part games feels a bit low, especially since 2 brand new high profile games were released.

New releases:
Jan - God of War (steam)
Jan - Uncharted: Collection (PS5)
Feb - Horizon: FW (PS4/PS5)
Mar - GT7 (PS4/PS5)

+ Catalogue

The overall forecast for the G&NS segment is excellent. The lower profit forecast has mostly to do with the planned acquisition of Bungie. Looking forward to Sony's software plans for this year. I'm also curious if the slower-than-anticipated PS5 adoption has any impact on their plans for the PSVR2 rollout.
Suspect its more to do with HW releases.

18 million PS5s shipped next year is decent considering all the struggles Sony has with manufacturing. Hopefully they'll be able to beat that number, because with how quickly last-gen died and how Game Pass becomes a bigger and bigger factor on Xbox, the PS5 install base will be very important for console-focused publishers.
It's good but they just missed forecasts so I'm not so confident

Q: Is Sony's Steam releases included in the Playstation software or where are they accounted for?

14.5M first part games feels a bit low, especially since 2 brand new high profile games were released.

New releases:
Jan - God of War (steam)
Mar - GT7 (PS4/PS5)

+ Catalogue
I don't know if it is low but i asked about the previous two big games imo and got the following:

TLOU2 was Q1 FY20. (18.7 mil 1st party sold.)
Ghost was Q2 FY20. (12.8 mil 1st party sold.)

I think its about right.

New releases:
Jan - God of War (steam)
Mar - GT7 (PS4/PS5)

+ Catalogue

PC is not included in the numbers

P9. Software unit sales include PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 software

Actually surprised that they even managed to ship 2 million units this past quarter. Outside of Japan supply seemed so extremely dire.

That is a gigantic revenue forecast for FY3/2023.

18M PS5 HW for FY3/2023 makes a lot more sense than Sony's initial 23M+ prediction (i.e. biggest annual HW sales ever for a PlayStation platform) but it is still very high. Let's hope they have the supply to reach that number.
That 22.52m PS2 FY 02-03 playstation record is almost 20 years old and needs to be beaten. I think PS5 can beat it in either FY 23-24 or FY 24-25, demand is there for 25m year if supply can keep up.

Thanks for pointing this out. This caps the launch quarter shipments of Horizon Forbidden West + Gran Turismo 7 at 14.5M.

Since Sony's catalogue sales are fairly strong (relatively speaking), the actual launch quarter shipments of Horizon + GT7 is probably more like 7-10 million.

Last edited:
The news story here isn't PS5 sales numbers.

Playstation is nearing $35B a year in revenue (from an outdated exchange rate as the usd/yen rate has collapsed recently). They're predicting a 34% growth, $8B in a year in growth. I'll make a more detailed post later but I expected this and it won't be long before Playstation is making $40B a year. They'll be working on bringing their margin up as well, won't be long before they're both the largest gaming company in the world and the most profitable. I don't see Tencent being able to keep up with Playstation.

This is without taking acquisitions into account. For instance, a SE acquisition will add around $4B in revenue to that figure. Bungie could offer a potential 1B in revenue down the line (right estimates are 300-500M)

Napkin estimates on where the growth is coming from:
  • 1-2B from PSVR (Oculus sells around 7-10M and generates 2B in rev, with a expected lower price point)
  • 1-2B from PS+ Premium
  • 1-2B from 1st party growth
  • 2-3B from hardware/ecosystem growth

If Sony actually manage to ship 18M PS5s I'll buy a hat and then eat it. I really don't think the current manufacturing and distribution reality is going to improve anytime soon.

Even after Microsoft's AB deal goes through which includes money-printer Candy Crush? Crazy if so.

Playstation would be like Xbox + Nintendo + Activision (revenue wise).
I don't see Xbox or Nintendo being able to grow like Playstation is either, so the gap is expected to get bigger.

Last edited:

Playstation is nearing $35B a year in revenue (from an outdated exchange rate as the usd/yen rate has collapsed recently). They're predicting a 34% growth, $8B in a year in growth. I'll make a more detailed post later but I expected this and it won't be long before Playstation is making $40B a year. They'll be working on bringing their margin up as well, won't be long before they're both the largest gaming company in the world and the most profitable. I don't see Tencent being able to keep up with Playstation.

This is without taking acquisitions into account. For instance, a SE acquisition will add around $4B in revenue to that figure. Bungie could offer a potential 1B in revenue down the line (right estimates are 300-500M)

Napkin estimates on where the growth is coming from:
  • 1-2B from PSVR (Oculus sells around 7-10M and generates 2B in rev, with a expected lower price point)
  • 1-2B from PS+ Premium
  • 1-2B from 1st party growth
  • 2-3B from hardware/ecosystem growth
They are quite way off from current Nintendo margins. I mean as both have consoles in different parts of their lifecycle I could see Sony making more money in some years but on average I think Nintendo stays ahead. Also with booming Chinese market Tencent can absolutely stay on top.
Even after Microsoft's AB deal goes through which includes money-printer Candy Crush? Crazy if so.
We have zero idea how much money MS makes from gaming (considering how they subsidize gamepass probably nowhere near Sony or Nintendo) as they don't share that data. Also especially in short term you can't just add current Activision revenue and profits to MS gaming division as they surely will lose some of their current PS earnings and also other revenue/profit as MS transforms their business to fit their gamepass driven model.

Playstation is nearing $35B a year in revenue (from an outdated exchange rate as the usd/yen rate has collapsed recently).
I applied the corresponding exchange rates per quarter and arrived at $23.87B in revenue for FY2021. How did you arrive at close to $35B? Maybe I'm missing something.

Betting on discless PS5 was the right move.

I'm still mad I could only get the one with a disc drive!

Back
Top Bottom