EU (doesn't include Germany or UK)
January - sales up 202% (3.02x) YOY source
February - sales up ~400% (5x) YOY source

UK
January - sales up 98% (~2x) YOY source
February - sales up 316% (4.16x) YOY / up 27% over January source

Japan
Sales up 285% (3.85x) YOY
Famitsu: 738.847 (January 2nd to March 19th 2023) vs 192.031 (January 3nd to March 20th 2022)

Last year Sony shipped 2M in this quarter, and we know it sold around ~800k in US and ~250k in Japan during that period.

Should be easy for them to sell 3x’s as much as last year with the horrible stock they had. It was damn near a crisis

US
January - sales up YOY, sold 369K in 2022
February - sales up 300%+ (>4x) YOY 533k+ in 2023 vs 128K in 2022

EU (doesn't include Germany or UK)
January - sales up 202% (3.02x) YOY source
February - sales up ~400% (5x) YOY source

UK
January - sales up 98% (~2x) YOY source
February - sales up 316% (4.16x) YOY / up 27% over January source

Japan
Sales up 285% (3.85x) YOY
Famitsu: 738.847 (January 2nd to March 19th 2023) vs 192.031 (January 3nd to March 20th 2022)

Last year Sony shipped 2M in this quarter, and we know it sold around ~800k in US and ~250k in Japan during that period.
Yep looks like the 6.2M will most likely happen. I always believed that it would.

I just found out that if Sony reaches 6.2 million forecast for this quarter, total PlayStation home consoles sales would be at exactly 500 million. First console maker which reached 500 million home consoles sold.

Yep looks like the 6.2M will most likely happen. I always believed that it would.
Yeah them increasing their forecast when even 5 million would have been enough to impress stockholders made me think they would hit it. There was no reason to increase forecast unless they legitimately thought they can and would hit it

Quoted by: SSN
Yeah them increasing their forecast when even 5 million would have been enough to impress stockholders made me think they would hit it. There was no reason to increase forecast unless they legitimately thought they can and would hit it
Exactly! But people still doubted they could do it just because it was unprecedented.

Judging by when this thread was posted, I assume the next one will be made available exactly in one month right?

Updating my post, for Q1 we have:

US
January - sales up YOY, sold 369K in 2022
February - sales up >300% YOY, >533k in 2023 vs 128K in 2022
March - sales up >120% YOY, >620k in 2023 vs 282K in 2022

EU (doesn't include Germany or UK) - sales up 369% YOY source

UK - sales up 180% YOY source

Japan - sales up 215% YOY
Famitsu: 812.488 (January 2nd to April 2nd 2023) vs 258.171 (January 3rd to April 3rd 2022)

In comparison to Q1 last year numbers have more than doubled in US, tripled in Japan, with the biggest increase % wise coming from EU (excluding UK) with sales increasing almost 5 times YOY.

We'll get the FY resuts next week.

We can actually get a range from the stated data. Assuming rounding isn’t too bad and other defunct consoles weren’t substantial.
1.5=P+S+X This year
1.5/1.41=P/4.69+S/.82+X/.9 Last Year
P>S>X>0
Plug that into something like wolframalpha and it yields a range of about 720k to 760k for PS5.

I assume that like UK, PS5 should most likely represent over 50% of the total console sales during Q1 in EU (especially considering how weak Xbox usually is in these countries, unlike the UK where they are at least able to sell a significant amount). When we look at Spain for example we see a 10:1 difference between PS5 and XBS during this year.

So in terms of actual sales we are probably looking at like 1,6M+ in US, 1,2M+ in EU (including UK and Germany) and 800k+ in Japan. Don't know how relevant the ROTW is, but I think we can safely assume they sold-through more than 4M consoles during this quarter at least.

I assume that like UK, PS5 should most likely represent over 50% of the total console sales during Q1 in EU (especially considering how weak Xbox usually is in these countries, unlike the UK where they are at least able to sell a significant amount). When we look at Spain for example we see a 10:1 difference between PS5 and XBS during this year.

So in terms of actual sales we are probably looking at like 1,6M+ in US, 1,2M+ in EU (including UK and Germany) and 800k+ in Japan. Don't know how relevant the ROTW is, but I think we can safely assume they sold-through more than 4M consoles during this quarter at least.
There's no way EU (including UK+Germany) is below USA. It's the strongest region for PS. Not to mention the fact that Sony should be prioritising EU this Q, since the supply situation was much worse there before.

Last edited:
There's no way EU is below US. It's the strongest region for PS usually. Not to mention the fact that Sony should be prioritising EU this Q, since the supply situation was much worse there before.
Well unless Dring’s reporting is wrong, Germany and UK would need to do the heavy lifting to close a nearly million gap between what we know for Europe (based on the reported total console sales and individual yoy percentages) and for the US.

There's no way EU (including UK+Germany) is below USA. It's the strongest region for PS. Not to mention the fact that Sony should be prioritising EU this Q, since the supply situation was much worse there before.
It was pretty easily the case last year.

Europe being the strongest region for PS meant that they focused their shipments where Xbox is more competitive, i.e the US.

We can actually get a range from the stated data. Assuming rounding isn’t too bad and other defunct consoles weren’t substantial.
1.5=P+S+X This year
1.5/1.41=P/4.69+S/.82+X/.9 Last Year
P>S>X>0
Plug that into something like wolframalpha and it yields a range of about 720k to 760k for PS5.

How are you solving this?

p_1 + s_1 + x_1 = 1.41
4.69p_1 + 0.82s_1 + 0.9x_1 = 1.5

You'll get bounds for all variables

How are you solving this?

p_1 + s_1 + x_1 = 1.41
4.69p_1 + 0.82s_1 + 0.9x_1 = 1.5

You'll get bounds for all variables
I put the three equations I said into wolfram alpha. PS5's bound is just numeric. (1.5 is 1.5 million)

0.718563<P<0.760652, S≈0.0002325 (35626 P - 23919), X≈-0.000255183 (36378 P - 27671)

0.718563<P<0.760652, S≈0.0002325 (35626 P - 23919), X≈-0.000255183 (36378 P - 27671) (In case the picture breaks)

Last edited:

Just checked and that EU number doesn't include a bunch of european countries.

Poland, Netherlands, Romania, Greece, Austria, Serbia, etc.

Ftr this is the GI.Biz list:

Console hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

For UK we know the PS5 sales are >200k. And I'm assuming Germany shouldn't be too far from those numbers since it's a similar sized market for PS.

I checked this thread since I was curious

and assuming the data is close to accurate, these european countries together match PS4 US sales (~34M):

Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.

It was pretty easily the case last year.

Europe being the strongest region for PS meant that they focused their shipments where Xbox is more competitive, i.e the US.
I expect the share of US sales for PS5 to go down this year and probably reach the PS4's ~28%. There's no threat from Xbox anymore.

For UK we know the PS5 sales are >200k. And I'm assuming Germany shouldn't be too far from those numbers since it's a similar sized market for PS.

and assuming the data is close to accurate, these european countries together match PS4 US sales (~34M):

Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.
Assuming that the share of USA sales has gone down this Q to probably something like ~29%, here are my estimates:

Assuming the PS5 sell through in the USA was ~ 1.7M and subtracting JP's 862K from that would give us ~3.3M for the whole of Europe+ROTW regions.

If Europe (including UK, Germany and other untracked markets) is 66% of that 3.3M number, that should give us total sales for it around 2.18M.

In summary here's how I expect the breakdown of PS5 sales for this Q to be:

Total= 5.86M
USA= 1.7M
JP= 862K
EU= 2.18M
ROTW= 1.12M

Assuming that the share of USA sales has gone down this Q to probably something like ~29%, here are my estimates:

Assuming the PS5 sell through in the USA was ~ 1.7M and subtracting JP's 862K from that would give us ~3.3M for the whole of Europe+ROTW regions.

If Europe (including UK, Germany and other untracked markets) is 66% of that 3.3M number, that should give us total sales for it around 2.18M.

Total= 5.86M
USA= 1.7M
JP= 862K
EU= 2.18M
ROTW= 1.12M
The Europe and ROTW are way too high. Europe should be just a bit higher than Japan at around 1-1.2 million and ROTW should be max half Japan so 0.4M.

Total= 5.86M
USA= 1.7M
JP= 862K
EU= 2.18M
ROTW= 1.12M

EU should be around 1.2-1.5M. We also need to include Canada, Australia. RoTW is around 10-15% usually now so:

US: 1.7M
EU (UK+ GER+others missed): 1.5M
JP: 0.862M
Other countries but not RoTW: 0.25M
= ~4.3M

RoTW = 4.3/(0.85->0.9) = 4.78-5M

EU should be around 1.2-1.5M. We also need to include Canada, Australia. RoTW is around 10-15% usually now so:

US: 1.7M
EU (UK+ GER+others missed): 1.5M
JP: 0.862M
Other countries but not RoTW: 0.25M
= ~4.3M

RoTW = 4.3/(0.85->0.9) = 4.78-5M
The Europe and ROTW are way too high. Europe should be just a bit higher than Japan at around 1-1.2 million and ROTW should be max half Japan so 0.4M.
I don't get it. Why should EU be below USA for PS5 when it was always above it for PS4 (expect probably for the launch year)? What's the logic behind it?

If PS5 is experiencing an evident surge in popularity in USA, the most competitive market, why shouldn't that be replicated everywhere else? Especially so when one of its competitors is borderline collapsing and the other one is entering its 7th year.

Oh and we aren't even considering Hogwarts legacy here, a game that Europe will certainly have greater affinity for.

I'm sticking to my guns and I believe I'll be proven correct in 8 days.

I don't get it. Why should EU be below USA for PS5 when it was always above it for PS4 (expect probably for the launch year)? What's the logic behind it?
Maybe XBO being stronger than XBS in the US (especially this quarter)? The PS/Xbox markets are cannibalistic to a degree and the overall PS+XBOX market in the US is a good bit ahead of the EU.

If PS5 is experiencing an evident surge in popularity in USA, the most competitive market, why shouldn't that be replicated everywhere else? Especially so when one of its competitors is borderline collapsing and the other one is entering its 7th year.

Oh and we aren't even considering Hogwarts legacy here, a game that Europe will certainly have greater affinity for.

Using the range MegaxZero calculated, PS5 EU is ~ 720-750k without UK/GER/others.

Sony did prioritise shipping to US over EU and UK (PS5 is above PS4 now whereas in the UK is still behind a fair bit) and there is more opportunity for PS5 to grow in the US by taking marketshare away from Xbox.

With full shipments everywhere, we do expect like you said EU to be ~US or above.

Total= 5.86M
USA= 1.7M
JP= 862K
EU= 2.18M
ROTW= 1.12M

Seems too high for EU imo. I don't think the countries not covered are enough to justify a increase like that for this quarter. No clue about ROTW.

EU should be significantly higher than Japan, like mentioned in the posts above. Even when you only consider the countries covered by GI.biz, plus UK and Germany, there's already a significant difference.

Seems too high for EU imo. I don't think the countries not covered are enough to justify a increase like that for this quarter. No clue about ROTW.
Do we have any hardware data for Germany? I have a hunch that it could certainly be doing the heavy lifting for the quarter, maybe even higher than UK.

Plus Europe would be the biggest opportunity to push shipments this quarter to reach their goal since its father behind PS4 there.

Do we have any hardware data for Germany? I have a hunch that it could certainly be doing the heavy lifting for the quarter, maybe even higher than UK.

No, though I imagine it's likely higher than UK for this quarter (which was >200k) since Germany was a bigger market for PS4, and PS5 was more supply constrained there compared to UK in the first years since Sony prioritized markets where Xbox was stronger.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Deutschland GmbH is really late this year with publishing their annual report.
But then again, it took them until June in 2017, so who knows.

It will be one year old data anyways.
April 2021 to March 2022 sales.

Sony sold ~1.6 Million Playstation each in FY14 and 15 across the DACH region. That's the highest number they ever achieved (PS2 era might be higher, I don't know)
Recently the last 3 years were below 1M units.

Last edited:
How many hours are left in the quarter earnings release? This is definitely the most anticipated one of PS5's lifecycle.

Also any last minute hardware predictions??

How many hours are left in the quarter earnings release? This is definitely the most anticipated one of PS5's lifecycle.

Also any last minute hardware predictions??

Yeah its so weird to see such a huge Q1. Though I think the coming Q4 will be very interesting as well with Spiderman 2, potentially TLOU and a slim PS5.

6.2M, 1T ¥ total revenue for gaming

After this Friday's report, starting next week (it's already May) we can realistically wait for the Showcase announcement.

After first 10 quarter Switch was at 36.87 million shipped, so if Sony reached it's forecast PS5 will be higher and that's with much higher price and with shortages.
Demand for Switch was much lower in it's first 2 years, coming off the back of the catastrophic Wii U and the moderately successful 3DS they had no momentum to work with.

Also here's a couple of predictions:

5.7 million PS5's shipped for Q4
23 million forecast for the 23/24 FY

After first 10 quarter Switch was at 36.87 million shipped, so if Sony reached it's forecast PS5 will be higher and that's with much higher price and with shortages.

Switch had shortages in many markets in 2017 (since launch) and crazy shortages in 2020 (when Animal Crossing and pandemic hit).

In Japan thousands of people queued up around stores for the chance to buy a Switch for months.

Last edited:
Yes, Switch too had shortages, even if not as severe as the PS5's ones
PS5 shortages have been so severe, on the other hand, that we are now in the rebound-phase, "inflating" not the global numbers but the sales curve

surely it will be interesting to take a look at PS5 in 18 months from now, to see how COVID and consequent shortages changed the "yearly pace"!

Switch demand was noticeably weaker at the start in Europe and Asia compared to now even if the US, Japan and France always had amazing sales.

I can see Sony going conservative with 22 or 23 million this fiscal year and if need be raising the target. I don't see them going all out with a 25 million + right away. I think this could be its peak year due to Covid screwing up its trajectory. Gradual declines from here on out is what I can see. 22 - 24 million then a decline to 20 - 22 million the next. I see PS5 beating PS4 and selling around 120 - 125 million at the end of its run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom