Archivist
Archivist Expert
Pronouns
He/Him
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/

02-02sony1.jpg

02-02sony2.jpg

Sources

Financial Statements - https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q3_sony.pdf
Presentation - https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q3_sonypre.pdf
Supplemental Information - https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q3_supplement.pdf

Last edited:
PlayStation 5 has shipped 32.1 million units worldwide(Didn't they also give the sold out before that?, anyway)
46.4 million PlayStation Plus(-1.6M)
Software combined sold 86.5(-6.2M)
First-party software sold 20.8(+9.5M)
PlayStation Network monthly active users hit 112 million(+1M)(maybe record?)
12.8M shipped. Reaching the 18 million goal is very hard to come by. Now that the console accessible, we will maybe see if there is so much accumulated demand.
the total software number continues to decrease despite the fact that more consoles are sold compared to last year.

Last edited:
PS4 9 quarters LTD: 37,700,000
PS5 9 quarters LTD: 32,100,000

PS4 Q4 2015: 8,400,000
PS5 Q4 2022: 7,100,000

PS4 full year 2014: 15.7M
PS4 full year 2015: 17.6M

PS5 full year 2021: 12.8M
PS5 full year 2022: 14.8M

Last edited:
Massive jump in first party sales, which we got a sneak peak of via SSM earlier today. I don't think 112 is their record, coulda sworn its hit in the one-teens previously, but I could be confusing something else with MAU.

They could reach 15 million PS5s for the fiscal year. If they shoot for the moon and go for 20M next fiscal year then I say it has a shot of surpassing PS4.

They could reach 15 million PS5s for the fiscal year.
They will go way past 15 million since there's actual availability for people to buy PS5s. To reach 15 million they only need 2.2 million in Q4. That would be a huge, colossal disappointment if it only sells that many.

Can someone compare the last q3 with these q3 games?
I think it is probably shows that it is affected by the economy.
FIFA 23 is bigger than 22. First party is bigger than 2021. More consoles sold. minus Call of Duty
I don't remember the rest of the third parties

They could reach 15 million PS5s for the fiscal year. If they shoot for the moon and go for 20M next fiscal year then I say it has a shot of surpassing PS4.
Full year shipments
PS4 2016: 19.5M
PS4 2017: 19.4M

PS5 would have to do crazy stuff like 22M shipments the next two year to catch it.

There's still a lot of unfulfilled demand in EU at least which got the short end of the stick in terms of stock for these past years.

What was the PS4 peak in Q4 for shipments? Did they ever reach 4M?

Think 20.8m is the second highest q for first party sales just beaten by 21m??? Haven't looked too far back though.

There's still a lot of unfulfilled demand in EU at least which got the short end of the stick in terms of stock for these past years.

What was the PS4 peak in Q4 for shipments? Did they ever reach 4M?
3.1M in 2014. Every other year was sub 3M

They will go way past 15 million since there's actual availability for people to buy PS5s. To reach 15 million they only need 2.2 million in Q4. That would be a huge, colossal disappointment if it only sells that many.

Maybe but these are the months that people traditionally cry into their credit card statements. Demand is usually depressed.

Full year shipments
PS4 2016: 19.5M
PS4 2017: 19.4M

PS5 would have to do crazy stuff like 22M shipments the next two year to catch it.

GTA6 is crazy stuff. I expect unprecedented numbers when that game comes out.

So, launch aligned, about ~10 million less than the Switch? And ~3 million less than the ps4? Even though the ps5 launched with 2 different models and price points?

So, launch aligned, about ~10 million less than the Switch? And ~3 million less than the ps4? Even though the ps5 launched with 2 different models and price points?
It’s been heavily supply constrained. This past holiday quarter some parts of the world felt that lift but others still didn’t. The last quarter of the fiscal year should be when the constraints are gone.

Will they ship 5.2 million in this coming last quarter to meet their target? I’m not so sure but could happen if every month is a banger.

Maybe but these are the months that people traditionally cry into their credit card statements. Demand is usually depressed.
?

Jan-march quarter is usually second biggest quarter for actual sell trough (tax returns in US + winter overall that boosts demand). if you have weak Q4 shipments it means you stuffed the channels during holiday season. That is not a case with PS5.

3 million less than the PS4 is impressive considering it was basically impossible to find the PS5

?

Jan-march quarter is usually second biggest quarter for actual sell trough (tax returns in US + winter overall that boosts demand). if you have weak Q4 shipments it means you stuffed the channels during holiday season. That is not a case with PS5.
Maybe but we are talking shipments and according to PS4 history it's probably best to manage expectations even if the PR people crow otherwise.

That's a great result, but I think it will be difficult to meet their full-year goal of 18 million units shipped.

Maybe but we are talking shipments and according to PS4 history it's probably best to manage expectations even if the PR people crow otherwise.

Aside from launch holiday PS4 really wasn't ever supply constrained and hence there were always supply left from holiday season to be sold during Q4. The fact that Sony still clings to their FY target means big Q4 shipments. Even if they don't quite reach it. They will not miss it by millions otherwise the target would had been adjusted.

Aside from launch holiday PS4 really wasn't ever supply constrained and hence there were always supply left from holiday season to be sold during Q4. The fact that Sony still clings to their FY target means big Q4 shipments. Even if they don't quite reach it. They will not miss it by millions otherwise the target would had been adjusted.
Or big drug use... They really should have revised it downward by now. Personally, I am not buying into the PR blitz. Yes demand is still there but a 5 million unit quarter? Not likely.

Amazing OP Oscar. Those hardware comparisons are delightful :)

And it's a good moment like any other to ask the question but what happenned to ArmGunner?

They may be able to photo finish across the forecast, they’re gonna have to do something big like a showcase or something to get hype up

Yeah excellent OP - charts are great, and highlights just how poorly the PS3 performed at the time.

However, it's a bit of a pain to browse on mobile - maybe having the charts behind spoiler tags would make it a bit better?

Was that from me on Neogaf or someone else? I also heard 19m but wasn't sure.

ResetEra, a few users mentioned it. I was hearing the Q&A but stopped because the questions were all about the changes in Sony leadership.

Apparently they have a lot of inventory.

A 6M Q4 would be unprecedented no?

ResetEra, a few users mentioned it. I was hearing the Q&A but stopped because the questions were all about the changes in Sony leadership.

Cool, I don't want to be the guy spreading around misinformation. Hopefully will get confirmation

Higher than Wii, Switch or PS4 ever achieved. DS might have beat it at some point but yeah...

Amazing results.
7 million is more than I expected.
There is a real chance that Sony can meet its forecast for the fiscal year.
They are at around 13 million consoles shipped, they need 5 million for the next quarter.
Last year they shipped 2 million when PS5 stocks basically didn't exist. I expect no less than 4 million for the next quarter.
Given what I'm seeing PS5 stocks are at an all-time high, Sony is starting the marketing campaign again as if PS5 came out today, in my country, in Europe there are PS5 restocks practically every day, which is a thing that I've never seen before with PS5, in the US Walmart alone sells more than 1,000 PS5s a day and in Japan they sells 30-40k or more a week. Signs that stocks have not dropped at all.
They will reach 18 million consoles forecast for this FY or they will come very very close to doing that.

EDIT:
Apparently they have even increased the forecast for the current fiscal year from 18 to 19 million.
It means that they are pretty much certain to reach 18 million and are even aiming to exceed it. You don't raise the forecast for the fiscal year when there are 3 months to go if you know it's difficult to reach the result.
At this point I would say we can almost take it for sure. Impressive result

Last edited:
Find it weird they're only raising their operating profit forecast by as little as they do if they really intend to ship 6M units in the coming quarter?
Other expenses coming in to effect?

Console HW isn't very profitable on its own unless you are Nintendo

Console HW isn't very profitable on its own unless you are Nintendo

The Live stream is available there
(edit: transcript coming soon)

They probably are not making much if any, on every hardware sold.

PS5 was no longer selling at a loss back in 2021 and with more console sales there should be peripherals, games, subscriptions added on top of consoles to.

They expect to have the biggest non-holiday quarter ever based just on pent-up demand?

I don't know what to say. Would be amazing to see, so good luck to them.

Yeah even with enough consoles available 6M seems like a very high bar for this period.

In terms of software I'm only seeing Hogwarts being able to push some consoles since it'll be next gen exclusive temporarily. Jedi Survivor would be a big one too but it got delayed for the next quarter.

I don't think PSVR2 will have a big effect considering the price of entry, it's a niche product.

PS5 was no longer selling at a loss back in 2021 and with more console sales there should be peripherals, games, subscriptions added on top of consoles to.
The PS5 with a disc-drive was no longer sold at a loss in 2021. We didn't get any info about the digital SKU.

Good point about the rest, however keep in mind that they raised their console's price in 2022 (probably as a consequence of higher manufacturing costs than in 2021).

They didn't in the US so it is possible they are taking a loss there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom