• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sony no longer reporting PS4 shipments; final total for the console is ~117.2 million as of March 2022

PS4 will be seen as the console that restored PlayStation's cultural hegenomy and financial dependability after both were fractured under the PS3.

But its also a paradigm shift away from the success of 1/2's eastern foundation and towards a greater focus on Western development, markets, and trends.

It's only major stumbling block was execs cutting its legs in favor of PS5. Buyers swept through PS4s 2020 yearly stock by April and Sony never adjusted for this post-Covid demand. Could have easily sold millions more units between then and now.

Still, a dominating figure in the industry for almost a decade.

PS4 will be seen as the console that restored PlayStation's cultural hegenomy and financial dependability after both were fractured under the PS3.

But its also a paradigm shift away from the success of 1/2's eastern foundation and towards a greater focus on Western development, markets, and trends.

It's only major stumbling block was execs cutting its legs in favor of PS5. Buyers swept through PS4s 2020 yearly stock by April and Sony never adjusted for this post-Covid demand. Could have easily sold millions more units between then and now.

Still, a dominating figure in the industry for almost a decade.
The cost to produce PS4 would've spiked thanks to COVID. Materials that could instead be used on PS5 as well as the logistics and shipping priorities in a high demand market would necessitate focusing on the newest product.

The last total was 116.9 million from Sony, but so many have 117.0m, 117.1m or 117.2m. Did they forget the -200K adjustment Sony made a year ago? This is the final data i have:

Playstation-4-HW.png

Last edited:
Sony lists their data on their site. When I last checked, it was listed as "More than 117.2 million"

I think it's legacy will be the console that dug them out of the gigantic pit that the PS3 got them into.

More than that. PS4 has essentially brought back Playstation closer to PS2 levels of platform dominance. We're looking at 50-60% of all third party console sales globally.

Their 1st party went from near number 10 to now being close to if not already Top 5.

The timing was incredibly lucky. This was all at a generation where digital ecosystems were incredibly important and sticky and where publishers entire revenues went from physical to digital.

PSN is approaching $20B in total third party revenue. By some estimates this may be bigger than Steam, Xbox and Nintendo combined. Definitely bigger than Xbox and Nintendo combined.

I'd say this is the general trend in the entire gaming market for third parties. Japanese publishers used to be the biggest or at least rival the big Western publishers, but ATVI, EA and T2 have run away with it.

The best selling titles tilt heavily to Western publishers and pretty much every popular multiplayer/GaaS game is from a Western publisher.
In fact, I don't think any of the third party JP pubs have the capability of doing a new AAA GaaS bar SE's MMO team.

Software development communities are crucial, which have exploded, especially in the US. Talent is constantly cropping up and you can see that in how easy it is for AAA devs teams to form there compared to Japan.

More than that. PS4 has essentially brought back Playstation closer to PS2 levels of platform dominance. We're looking at 50-60% of all third party console sales globally.

Their 1st party went from near number 10 to now being close to if not already Top 5.

The timing was incredibly lucky. This was all at a generation where digital ecosystems were incredibly important and sticky and where publishers entire revenues went from physical to digital.

PSN is approaching $20B in total third party revenue. By some estimates this may be bigger than Steam, Xbox and Nintendo combined. Definitely bigger than Xbox and Nintendo combined.

I'd say this is the general trend in the entire gaming market for third parties. Japanese publishers used to be the biggest or at least rival the big Western publishers, but ATVI, EA and T2 have run away with it.

The best selling titles tilt heavily to Western publishers and pretty much every popular multiplayer/GaaS game is from a Western publisher.
In fact, I don't think any of the third party JP pubs have the capability of doing a new AAA GaaS bar SE's MMO team.

Software development communities are crucial, which have exploded, especially in the US. Talent is constantly cropping up and you can see that in how easy it is for AAA devs teams to form there compared to Japan.

Yeah, I would say outside of nintendo there aren’t many Japanese developers capable of putting up numbers on the scale of EA, Take Two, Activision, Epic…etc

GAAS and multiplayer games have taken too much marketshare. Even the big AAA single player stuff aren’t consistently doing over 10m in sales.

The last total was 116.9 million from Sony, but so many have 117.0m, 117.1m or 117.2m. Did they forget the -200K adjustment Sony made a year ago? This is the final data i have:
The total as December 2021 was 116.9M and Q4 of the FY ending March 2022 was reported to have been 0.1M.
Of course there is some small rounding in the two numbers but the total as March 2022 is likely 117.0 < x < 117.1 so for me it's "over 117.0M as March 2022".

kNBSdOi.jpg

Last edited:
Did PSP only do 76.4+ million worldwide? I was under the impression that it was closer to 85 million. 3DS got very close to those numbers.

PS4 did great, I wonder if Sony is a bit disappointed it didn’t do more?

Did PSP only do 76.4+ million worldwide? I was under the impression that it was closer to 85 million. 3DS got very close to those numbers.

PSP and Vita are outdated due to Sony combining both in reporting. It's why PS2 is stuck at 155M despite selling more. Sony hid PS3 figures in 2012 by combining it and PS2 together.

I get the impression sony didn’t care about hitting a milestone with the PS4. They could have easily given it a price drop in the last year, or a super slim model like their other consoles, probably could have gotten well into the 120’s.

Let's just agree final number for the console are around 117 million and call it for the day.

All things considering incredible result.

Back
Top Bottom