• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

[Sony FY 22] Playstation 1st Party revenue, incl. Bungie, +41% YoY. Estimated $3.6B, 150% growth in 6 years

enpleinjour

Enthusiast
Pronouns
He/Him
Thought I would make a dedicated thread since we finally have the data to see the revenue of Playstation 1st party over the years and maybe even their profitability.

From the FY presentation:

Screenshot-2023-04-29-at-00-03-51.png

We got data from the ATVI case on PS Studios FY21 revenue on console:

And we got a graph on the growth of PS 1st party sales and costs in a prior FY report:

image-15-1652184147914.png

So we can now estimate the revenue via pixel counting. Its not perfect since its CY vs FY iirc:

Screenshot-2023-04-29-at-00-50-12.png

Sony also discloses R&D costs per year so we can do a somewhat crude comparison on profitability over the years as well.

Screenshot-2023-04-29-at-01-00-06.png

There was much prior discussion if the strategy of $70 would work out. The big games are doing better than ever. Total unit sales for the year are down and yet revenue being so up shows the strategy work.

All this and there is still growth to be had. Franchises are still breaking records, new IPs are coming up, we will start to see the beginning of Sony's GaaS initiative soon, acquisitions made prior have yet to release a title, there is the PC/mobile expansion and there are future potential acquisitions.

Worth noting how Sony had constantly mentioned rising dev costs as well. The idea of dev costs stabilising, whether its from AAA talent being very sought after now, or other economic factors, is not one I expect this gen. The Sony transcript shows clear intention to accomodate increased dev costs and keep margin low as a result. Also due to continued acquisition costs.

Really curous what PS studios looks like 5Y down the line and how much higher it can go.

Playstation sold 43.5M first party games in FY22. If your estimate of $3.67B in revenue is correct, that would mean the average revenue per game sold being $84.36. Doesn't sound right, unless Playstation 1st party has some absolutely massive DLC income I'm unaware of.

Playstation sold 43.5M first party games in FY22. If your estimate of $3.67B in revenue is correct, that would mean the average revenue per game sold being $84.36. Doesn't sound right, unless Playstation 1st party has some absolutely massive DLC income I'm unaware of.
This includes Bungie/Destiny 2 revenue which comes entirely from MTX.

This includes Bungie/Destiny 2 revenue which comes entirely from MTX.
Do we know that expansion sales count as DLC and not game sales? Both would kinda make sense.

There are no real numbers regarding Bungie revenues. The upper end estimates seem to be $500m per year. If we assume that all of that counts as DLC revenue, that would still mean an average revenue of $72.87 per full 1st party game sold. Still doesn't seem realistic.

Unit sales tell a different, more complex story.

FY19 49.2m
FY20 58.4m
FY21 43.9m
FY22 43.5m

The Nintendo-like price strategy has had an immediate generational impact, total units fell as catalog evaporated. I posited in the other thread though that this is a calculation Sony's fine with as it holds value for their subscription services which they'd rather funnel players into over buying catalog games at deep discount.

The revenue uptake is impressive and driven by MTX from the Bungie acquisition. Buying immediate revenue growth rather than organically growing it was a shrewd move on PlayStation's part (also masking their inhouse FGS decline) but this is the future pivot (services) they're looking at so might as well get a headstart. Given all this I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped reporting 1st party unit sales soon either.

This includes MTX and DLC sales. The 43.5M number also does not include PC sales. PC sales and other platform sales are accounted in Other.
Bungie also had a huge expansion release.

Further evidence of the estimates being really good:

IMG_0460.png

Game sales + MTX/DLC for FY19-21 adjusted for USD rate changes = ~$39B
39*0.17 = $6.63B
Estimate = 1.53+2.38+2.6 = $6.51B

Comparison to other 22 pubs (not every FY lineups) (PC and console) :
  1. EA - $6.127B
  2. Nintendo - $5B+
  3. Sony - $3.6B
  4. ATVI - $3.406B
  5. T2 - $3.1B
  6. Epic - ~$3B
  7. Ubi - ~$1.8B

Nintendo's FGS alone will probably be north of 6B in a given year. They consistently sell north of 100m packaged games a year at mostly full MSRP. Then you can add MTX/DLC, Services (NSO), amiibo, mobile, etc.

Nintendo's FGS alone will probably be north of 6B in a given year. They consistently sell north of 100m packaged games a year at mostly full MSRP. Then you can add MTX/DLC, Services (NSO), amiibo, mobile, etc.
Unless I’m missing something (or fudge the math on my phone) this is just easily calculated using the numbers given in the FY slides by Nintendo. And since it’s first party no worries about the third party revenue reporting.

FY22 (ending March 2022): 1639.2 billion yen for hardware, accessories, and software, slide 4. Average yen to dollar from the sales slide 5 (different on profit slide) was 112.34 so around $14.59 billion.

Hardware percent total from slide 18 notes 48.4 % includes accessories. So 51.6% is software or around $7.53 billion.

First party software is for FY22 78.8% or $5.93 billion. Mobile was $0.47 billion so combined around $6.4 billion.

Actually looking back this is the same issue as before. Where the only way this works is NSO is just being assumed and subtracted from the total but now we are subtracting more?

Last edited:
Unless I’m missing something (or fudge the math on my phone) this is just easily calculated using the numbers given in the FY slides by Nintendo. And since it’s first party no worries about the third party revenue reporting.

FY22: 1639.2 billion yen for hardware, accessories, and software, slide 4. Average yen to dollar from the sales slide 5 (different on profit slide) was 112.34 so around $14.59 billion.

Hardware percent total from slide 18 notes 48.4 % includes accessories. So 51.6% is software or around $7.53 billion.

First party software is for FY22 78.8% or $5.93 billion. Mobile was $0.47 billion so combined around $6.4 billion.
This is great math on your part! $6.4B seems like a much more realistic ballpark though I'd argue excluding the T2L category (amiibo) is iffy as they're operated and function more like packaged (DLC) software and historically other competitors like Activision or Ubisoft definitely included T2L in their console games earnings. I also question about Publisher only MGS (which NSO really is) as those 3rd party figures certainly include EA Play, Ubisoft Plus, etc.

This maybe an unpopular opinion but I actually support SIE pivoting to a Nintendo like pricing strategy of holding the price of their premium games. I think this is the only way to effectively compete with the "value proposition" of the gamepass. With kind of budgets they're putting into their first party games, they were never going to outflank Xbox from the pricing side.

Setting up PlayStation as the only place to get premium home console experience is the right way imo.

Now the only thing they need to optimise is their release schedule. If they want to grow the share of first party game sales, a new game every quarter is a must.

This maybe an unpopular opinion but I actually support SIE pivoting to a Nintendo like pricing strategy of holding the price of their premium games. I think this is the only way to effectively compete with the "value proposition" of the gamepass. With kind of budgets they're putting into their first party games, they were never going to outflank Xbox from the pricing side.

Setting up PlayStation as the only place to get premium home console experience is the right way imo.

Now the only thing they need to optimise is their release schedule. If they want to grow the share of first party game sales, a new game every quarter is a must.
Agreed. 4 games a year is the right cadence.

SIE did technically have a new release every quarter last FY.

Q1
04.01.22 MLB The Show 22 (PS4, PS5, XBO, XBS)
04.05.22 MLB The Show 22 (NSW)

Q2
08.12.22 Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PC)
09.02.22 The Last of Us Part I (PS5)

Q3
10.19.22 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (PC)
10.27.22 Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PC)
11.09.22 God of War Ragnarök (PS4, PS5)
11.18.22 Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PC)

Q4
02.15.23 Returnal (PC)
02.22.23 Horizon: Call of the Mountain (PS5)
03.24.23 MLB The Show 23 (NSW, PS4, PS5, XBO, XBS)
03.28.23 The Last of Us Part I (PC)

Surprisingly though they published more non-PS SKUs than PlayStation SKUs for the year. As a 1st party publisher they have definitely slowed in terms of total output but 3rd party (PC, Switch, Xbox) is starting to fill the gap a bit.

Back
Top Bottom