• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sonic Frontiers Sells 2.5M Units Globally [Update 2: Now 3.5M]

I couldnt find any solid sales numbers for Sonic Forces so I couldnt do comparison. But since the PR this time is actual numbers instead of a vague "sold well" I guess it sold pretty good.

Last edited:
Was just asking about this when last month's NPD released. Great performance for 1 month. Hope that Sega refines the gameplay going forward.

Patch up and polish the current game to a shine and it should end up duking it down for Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest 11 in 5-6 million unit range.

Sonic games usually don't come out swinging like this. It took a critically acclaimed game like Mania about a year to break the 1mil barrier. It says a lot about how much the brand's staying power has grown since then, that it can sell this much in such a short amount of time. It will likely have strong staying power with kids and parents too, as Sonic games tend to. This bodes very well for the future.

Wow! 5M-6M lifetime is a realistic number for this one. Congrats to Sonic Team and Sega!

Really happy to see SEGA investing in the Sonic Team and them providing a fan favorite hit after a long time.

The game is really poor technically, but on the foundation the gameplay is kinda fun.
It seems Sega found a path for the future of Sonic, but they need to deliver a more polish experience.

Kinda crazy how open-world Dark Souls, Pokémon (×2), and Sonic all happened in the same year, and all were big smash successes.

From what I recall, this is looking like it'll be the biggest Sonic game since the first sequel.

I'm liking what I'm playing so far and there's a lot of room for improvement and refinement.

The biggest change I'd want to see in a sequel is better implantation of the environment in the open world for courses and challenges. The rails and hover platforms are getting stale right now. I love that you can go anywhere from the start and do the stages in any order but I wish there was a better was to segment each island section into its own little level. I'm imagining Sonic 1's 3 acts of Green Hill Zone all being available as one "island", which in 3D would offer plenty of variety in terms of "natural" obstacles and paths, as opposed to copy paste rails, springs, boosters, and platforms.

Sonic Lost World (3DS, Wii U):
- Oct 2013: Launch
- Dec 2013: 640K
- Mar 2014: 710K

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric (Wii U) and Shattered Crystal (3DS):
- Nov 2014: Launch
- Mar 2015: 620K

Amazing performance, Sonic Team deserved the W.
There's a solid foundation for them now, hopefully we'll see a Sonic Frontier 2 that focuses on improving what's already been built.

I'm liking what I'm playing so far and there's a lot of room for improvement and refinement.

The biggest change I'd want to see in a sequel is better implantation of the environment in the open world for courses and challenges. The rails and hover platforms are getting stale right now. I love that you can go anywhere from the start and do the stages in any order but I wish there was a better was to segment each island section into its own little level. I'm imagining Sonic 1's 3 acts of Green Hill Zone all being available as one "island", which in 3D would offer plenty of variety in terms of "natural" obstacles and paths, as opposed to copy paste rails, springs, boosters, and platforms.

Same the open world just feels like a jungle gym to me. There is no cohesiveness or reason for all the obstacles to be where they are. The saving grace for the open world are the mini-bosses

The legs will be interesting, Holiday games usually have bigger shipments to cover all bases.
I expect the game to recieve quite a bit of post launch support even besides what is already announced. This is the first big win for Sonic team in a while and they are gonna milk everything out of that stone until a sequel is ready. So yeah this should sell for a long time, especially during sales and Holidays.

The legs will be interesting, Holiday games usually have bigger shipments to cover all bases.

With Christmas and Sonic Prime I can see it having a healthy boost (just look at how the Sonic 2 movie made Mania and Colors resurface on the charts of many countries... Hell, even Forces appeared here and there right after the movie).

I wonder if they can achieve 4 million by January or February, but with Sega being so bad at giving sales figures I doubt we'll even know how well it did after all is said and done... I mean, Mania's last sales update is still at 1 million.

Sonic Lost World (3DS, Wii U):
- Oct 2013: Launch
- Dec 2013: 640K
- Mar 2014: 710K

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric (Wii U) and Shattered Crystal (3DS):
- Nov 2014: Launch
- Mar 2015: 620K

For Lost World, did we ever get the totals after the Steam release happened?

---

That said, really impressive for a Sonic game. It's been a bit since we've seen sales this high (including Japan). Hoping Sega does address some problems with the game (controls definitely need to be modified or more options regarding this, as there's some accessibility issues I ran into playing it, even with trying to swap around the buttons to make it easier for me to play), but they seem to have found something that probably will work for them going forward.

I hope they take some more time with Frontiers 2 now that they know the formula works well. maybe do or outsource a remake of something like Sonic Adventure 2 to pass the time

I hope they take some more time with Frontiers 2 now that they know the formula works well. maybe do or outsource a remake of something like Sonic Adventure 2 to pass the time
Bigger development team, bigger budget, better tech baseline (I assume the sequel will not be on the current Switch, and that the Switch 2 is an appreciable jump over the current one), and iterating on the design of this game, and I can see the sequel being a substantially better game.

Sonic Frontiers has sold 3.5 million units (16:40):

Last known number was 3.2 million as of March 2023:

Since I've checked for another thread/forum that claimed Sonic Frontier to be the best selling 3D Sonic game of all time:

Sonic Heroes has shipped 4.58 million units between the PS2 and GC versions (XB1 version didn't cross 1M).
If the DC and GC versions are added together Sonic Adventure has shipped over 4M too.

Last edited:
Since I've checked for another thread/forum that claimed Sonic Frontier to be the best selling 3D Sonic game of all time:

Sonic Heroes has shipped 4.58 million units between the PS2 and GC versions (XB1 version didn't cross 1M).
If the DC and GC versions are added together Sonic Adventure has shipped over 4M too.
Where did you find the GC data for Sonic Adventure 1?

Great comeback from Sonic there. While there is still lots to do to build a proper great Sonic game. But at least this time, they had some base that they can use for future Sonic.....Until they dumped it for some new mechanic due to trend chasing lol.

Back
Top Bottom