• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Say "Thanks !": a new feature is here !

Hello everyone !

I hope you are all having a good day.

As you know, a key aspect of our community is that we contribute and often invest a lot of time into seeking, compiling, and properly presenting sales data. As such, these contributors, which are pillars of our Community, are often on the frontline for the Community's benefit. It is however quite hard for them to know sometimes how much their work is essential. They don't have a direct and valuable feedback from the Community.

So, with that in mind, we decided to implement a new feature : "Thanks !"

• What is "Thanks !" ? A feature to show your appreciation of another member's post
  • How can I use "Thanks !" ? By pressing the button at the right bottom of the post you want to thank the member for.
  • It is going to be another popularity contest isn't it ? Not at all, the number of "Thanks !" isn't publicly visible, only the poster will know
  • Which posts should I use the feature on ? Every post that you believe adds something to the conversation and shows effort from a member. Therefore, you can also thank posts that you don't agree with.

The feature might be new, but don't hesitate to use the "Thanks !" button on older posts among The Market and The Database.

I remember spending a lot of time discussing this feature on the discord 😂

Nice to see it implemented, and I think it was done in the best way possible

Last edited:
I like the Thanks! feature a lot because when someone makes a giant post compiling years worth of sales, I often don't really have anything to add to the discussion other than to express my appreciation for their hard work. I don't want to make a canned response, so having a way to say Thanks! privately to the Poster is perfect.

In my opinion, this incorporates all the best parts of a "Like" system while simultaneously avoiding all of the negatives.

I must say I absolutely love this and have already been sending and receiving thanks messages. It feels great.

This seems like a really good idea, and keeping the numbers private really reinforces the idea imo

I like the Thanks! feature a lot because when someone makes a giant post compiling years worth of sales, I often don't really have anything to add to the discussion other than to express my appreciation for their hard work. I don't want to make a canned response, so having a way to say Thanks! privately to the Poster is perfect.

In my opinion, this incorporates all the best parts of a "Like" system while simultaneously avoiding all of the negatives.
this.
it's such an easy way to be polite and friendly without any peer pressure. and it's a nice little reward for your thought and care, like a tip.

Ah, so thanks isn't publically visible. I just wanted to ask, because I wondered why great postings like silpheed's photo impressions from Japan never show a "thanks" on them. Now I get it.

(Sorry for double post, but eh ... )

I just thought about the feature again. I'm fully for hiding the "thanks"-clicks to not turn something into a popularity contest. However, I wondered if it were possible to make it so that postings that receive a lot of "thanks" (whether that threshold is 10, 20 or higher) receive a public "thanks" or something to indicate "this is a good posting that in some way enriched IB".

Doing it this would prevent that just any posting with 1 or 2 "thanks" would attract more "thanks" only because there's already those 1-2 "thanks". Yet, it would both help indicate that a posting is worth taking a closer look to and make the poster feel a little better.

Just an idea.

3 months in and I'm still loving this. Makes me feel really appreciated. So are you guys/gals using this feature?

3 months in and I'm still loving this. Makes me feel really appreciated. So are you guys/gals using this feature?
Same, i love it. I use it a lot (hopefully, i don't see a counter) but i often forget to use it while catching up to a thread.

I'm not very active (getting close to being a member after more than three months) and i was only a lurker on Resetera (no account) so it's nice to see the thanks notifications.
It makes me feel more appreciated and shows that my comments/posts are read.

I just thought about the feature again. I'm fully for hiding the "thanks"-clicks to not turn something into a popularity contest. However, I wondered if it were possible to make it so that postings that receive a lot of "thanks" (whether that threshold is 10, 20 or higher) receive a public "thanks" or something to indicate "this is a good posting that in some way enriched IB".

Doing it this would prevent that just any posting with 1 or 2 "thanks" would attract more "thanks" only because there's already those 1-2 "thanks". Yet, it would both help indicate that a posting is worth taking a closer look to and make the poster feel a little better.

Just an idea.
We've discussed this among the staff. We really appreciate you thinking along with us (please continue to do so!)

As you know, the reason why Thanks are hidden to others is to avoid a popularity contest at all costs. Some members with high quality posts would get a lot of Thanks, while others may not get as many Thanks as they want. By hiding the number of Thanks to others, we wanted to avoid any possibility of facilitating jealousy or frustration among members.

We believe your proposal to show the number of Thanks on high-scoring posts to the public would eventually lead to the situation we were trying to avoid by hiding the number of Thanks, although to a lesser degree because only the most popular of posts would be highlighted. We want to avoid any possible situation where people feel like they are influenced to create popular posts, or where they feel influenced by the popularity of others.

Also, the end result might be a bit like Instagram. You may not have the illusion that a photo of yours could get as many likes as Kim Kardashian's. However, the fact that she gets so many likes means people will treat her as more important on that platform. Translate that to Install Base, which is a platform for meaningful debate and discussion: as a staff, we don't want to create a situation in which the opinion of one member could be deemed more important than someone else's because they get a high number of Thanks.

However, we are always thinking about ways to highlight quality posts and your recent suggestion sparked some interesting discussions among the staff. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom