• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sales Design Gazette: A Video Game Sales Magazine #001

f4qcKBY.png

Sales Design Gazette #001

I've often wondered what a video game magazine focused on sales and the business side of the industry would look like. Game Developer was the closest thing we had, but that ended its run in 2013 and the industry-focused publications still running today (primarily GameDeveloper.com and GamesIndustry.biz) are websites rather than magazines.

Since I've had a little more bandwidth the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd try putting a sales/business-focused mag together myself, and see what came out of it. I've been working on this in my spare time, usually late at night, so the end result is anything but professional...but hopefully it's close enough that it gives one a sense of what such a project might look like, were it actually to exist.

I picked the topics myself and tried to include a mix of longer, shorter, and micro features. While I would've loved to reach out to other members of the forum for contributions, unfortunately there just wasn't enough time. It's not perfect, and given more time I might have chosen to do a few things differently, but hopefully folks still find what is in here interesting and insightful.

Features:
  • Final Fantasy XVI's launch sales
  • Are the stars aligning for wipEout?
  • Nintendo's evolving relationship with third parties
  • Food for Thought

M7qHPkb.png
YUQMgVL.png
uRK5U7c.png

A preview of what's inside.

[You can download the full issue here.]

Last edited:
Congrats on working and releasing a sales mag, dont know when ill get to it but those are some interesting topics for sure. wipEout ? Yeah im gonna have to check this one out, to figure out what this is about.

Just wow.

Feels like a very good magazine. Even if you get the feeling of this being the first, you never get the feeling that something is not interesting.

That's some tremendous work Ishaan, congrats and thanks for sharing !

It is a prime example of what the Community is able to do, and we should aim at fostering these initiatives. Hopefully with a pool of reliable contributors and a dedicated section.

Really enjoyed the bit on third party relations and how far Nintendo has come since the Wii U and even the Wii days. Great first issue!

This is absolutely beautiful and such a nice read! Great work and thank you for this!

I’m honestly amazed at your formatting. A few spacing errors here and there but overall it looks like a legit gaming magazine. Read two of the articles and I liked the cadence of your speech in both of them— I particularly liked how you summed up Nintendo’s third party situation.

I’m honestly amazed at your formatting. A few spacing errors here and there but overall it looks like a legit gaming magazine. Read two of the articles and I liked the cadence of your speech in both of them— I particularly liked how you summed up Nintendo’s third party situation.

Thanks! And yeah, there were definitely some errors that I didn't catch in time for the first upload. A v1.1 has now been uploaded with (hopefully) the spacing/formatting errors sorted.

@Ishaan what's the release pace your are targetting ? Around you looking into making it a monthly occurence ?

Haha, no way. I actually wasn't even sure if I'd do another... It took a tremendous amount of time to write all those features (one of them I'd already been working on before I thought of doing the mag), and then even longer to do the layouts and formatting. If possible, I'd like to do it quarterly, but honestly without any help it's a tough ask, just because it eats into so much free time...

Haha, no way. I actually wasn't even sure if I'd do another... It took a tremendous amount of time to write all those features (one of them I'd already been working on before I thought of doing the mag), and then even longer to do the layouts and formatting. If possible, I'd like to do it quarterly, but honestly without any help it's a tough ask, just because it eats into so much free time...
In the OP you mention there wasn't enough time to reach out to other members for help, but maybe doing that (if you want of course) can take some of the workload of your back?

how are the topics chosen are they more of the what's interesting for the month or personal picks

In the OP you mention there wasn't enough time to reach out to other members for help, but maybe doing that (if you want of course) can take some of the workload of your back?

In theory, that would be a lot of fun and I'd love to give it a shot. In practice, it's more complicated because it's a lot of work in exchange for nothing (in terms of compensation). Plus, people on the net can be flaky. Unless they're passionate and invested enough to put in the time and effort, there's a high chance they bail the moment it becomes apparent just how much work it is. It is a lot to ask for. And then, when you consider the fact that you need writers with a good enough grasp of the industry and as few biases as possible, that narrows the pool even further. And finally, you need all these people to be willing to come together and work under a single editor, and that's a whole other can of worms.

how are the topics chosen are they more of the what's interesting for the month or personal picks

A mix of stuff I felt was topical, suitably complex, that I personally enjoyed, and that I felt I was equipped to write about. :)

In theory, that would be a lot of fun and I'd love to give it a shot. In practice, it's more complicated because it's a lot of work in exchange for nothing (in terms of compensation). Plus, people on the net can be flaky. Unless they're passionate and invested enough to put in the time and effort, there's a high chance they bail the moment it becomes apparent just how much work it is. It is a lot to ask for. And then, when you consider the fact that you need writers with a good enough grasp of the industry and as few biases as possible, that narrows the pool even further. And finally, you need all these people to be willing to come together and work under a single editor, and that's a whole other can of worms.

If you need some help I'd gladly contribute with perhaps a section on sales history of niche franchise. I had a blog some time ago about sales: https://graphmag.wordpress.com

Woah, this is really cool!! Thank you for doing this! I’ll definitely make a note to read this when I get home!

If you need some help I'd gladly contribute with perhaps a section on sales history of niche franchise. I had a blog some time ago about sales: https://graphmag.wordpress.com

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. Ideally, we'd need quite a few people to who pledge to contribute before I'd be comfortable committing to any sort of timeline on these. Until then, it's probably just going to be something that comes around periodically.

Congrats
I could contribute too but let's be realistic

What about a yearly appointment? Maybe analyzing what have been the most significant topics in the industry/the most followed threads on IB/the most historical milestones achieved during the "past year" + "most wanted/awaited topics" of the "next year"

In this amazing format

Could we turn this into a IB yearly magazine?

If not, congrats anyway and sorry for the proposal haha

This is amazing! I can’t even begin to imagine how much time this took to plan, design, create graphs and write… congratulations on producing the 1st edition! I feel like the sales stories featured on IB could be great retrospective sections for your magazine if that’s something you plan to add, and even though I only contributed 1 story I’d have no problem if you wanted to use the material for your magazine. However the focus on current topics and recent rumors is great, extremely looking forward to whenever the next version releases.

Best of luck towards the future copies of the magazine, and if you do plan on looking for other writers to contribute, I’d be open to writing a short article every once in a while :D

Late to the party as usual, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I can't begin to think how much energy and time went into it. Keep up the great work Ishaan.

I'll definitely keep reading going forward.

Congrats
I could contribute too but let's be realistic

What about a yearly appointment? Maybe analyzing what have been the most significant topics in the industry/the most followed threads on IB/the most historical milestones achieved during the "past year" + "most wanted/awaited topics" of the "next year"

In this amazing format

Could we turn this into a IB yearly magazine?

If not, congrats anyway and sorry for the proposal haha
Yeah, or quarterly or just once every six months.

Can do it with more breathing room, while also taking a larger view of the market and writing about it with more perspective.

I'd also recommend a section or something for the mudslinger in each and everyone of us.

Just make it humorous, impartial and again funny.

Beautiful work on this first/last/only issue though.

Back
Top Bottom