• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Rebellion Group Annual Report 2022-23: stable year without new releases

DarkDetective

Staff
真実はいつもひとつ! There's only one truth
Rebellion Group has deposited its Annual Report for the fiscal year ending 30th June 2023 with the British Companies House.

Revenue: £56.1 million (~$71.5m; -21%)
Gross profit: £16.7 million (~$21.2m; -26%)
Operating profit: £-0.9 million (~$-1.2m)
Profit for the year: £3.0 million (~$3.8m; -77%)

Revenue by segment:
- Game publishing sales: £50.1 million (~$63.8m; -23%)
- Publishing sales: £4.5 million (~$5.8m; -1%)
- Film & TV sales: £1.2 million (~$1.5m; +5%)
- Miscellaneous sales: £0.3 million (~$0.4m; +11%)

Staff remained equal at 465 as of June 2023 (+0), of which 308 involved with game development (+11).

There were no game releases in the year, with one major release in 2022. The majority of the Group's turnover has been delivered by games released in prior years.
Within the games division, new major releases are planned in the coming years, including some new and exciting IP. The back catalogue of titles continues to perform well.

In the publishing division, the vast catalogue of comic and book IP's continue to grow and provide a steady level of turnover. In the year the division has been exploring new ways to introduce Rebellion IP to a new audience.

The entertainment division, whilst not having any new releases in the year has a number of film and TV projects in the pipeline with releases in future years.
Since the end of the financial year, the Group has began to implement a new Consumer Products and New Media division, that will complement the existing group offering and provide new and exciting ways to bring the Group's IP to consumers.
On 1 August 2023, the Group acquired 100% of the equity of Blackshore LLC for a total consideration of up to £8,717,083 ($11,000,000) payable in three instalments. Blackshore LLC is a full-service talent management, influencer marketing and content production company, who use YouTube to engage audiences and deliver meaningful marketing results for businesses. Blackshore will be key contributor in the new Consumer Products and New Media division in the Group going forward.

GDUXCTqWQAAiTup.png

GDUXQr0WUAAHHXq.png

KYjtKAi.png

bgI5MmJ.png

GJvjiGZ.png

(Not from the report)
During the fiscal year (1st July 2022 - 30th June 2023), Rebellion has released no new video games.

Compared to the following list of releases in the previous fiscal year (1st July 2021 - 30th June 2022):
- Sniper Elite VR on 8th July 2021 for Windows, PlayStation VR and Oculus
- Evil Genius 2: World Domination on 30th November 2021 for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War on 26th April 2022 for Nintendo Switch
- Sniper Elite 5 on 26th May 2022 for Windows, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One

Rebellion Group Annual Report 2021-22

@DarkDetective Kept you waiting, huh? Reason being I totally forgot...wanted to first look up what Rebellion has been doing recently order a Zombie Army Bite Pet bowl in time for National Pet Day! Speaks to the strength of the overall game ball shooting business that it can lean on back catalogue in a relatively quiet year. Eager to learn more about its Future Shocking plans...

Respect to Rebellion for sticking with its VR side business, company has always been very saavy but using mainline series like Sniper Elite & Zombie Army has the jumping off point for VR entries must keep the project scopes in check. As for the sections you've highlighted, I'd imagine joining the dots between the various divisions is the goal...starting with Rogue Trooper?!
Within the games division, new major releases are planned in the coming years, including some new and exciting IP. The back catalogue of titles continues to perform well.

In the publishing division, the vast catalogue of comic and book IP's continue to grow and provide a steady level of turnover. In the year the division has been exploring new ways to introduce Rebellion IP to a new audience.

The entertainment division, whilst not having any new releases in the year has a number of film and TV projects in the pipeline with releases in future years.
Aneurin-x-Rogue-headshot-blog.png

Duncan Jones Wraps Principal Photography on 2000 AD's Rogue Trooper Movie

29th January 2024
Duncan Jones’ (Moon, Source Code, Warcraft, Mute) eagerly anticipated movie adaptation of classic British comic Rogue Trooper has wrapped principal photography in the UK. Written and directed by Jones, Rogue Trooper is an animated science fiction feature from Rebellion and Liberty Films.

Shot at Rebellion Film Studios in Oxfordshire, breakout talent Aneurin Barnard (The Goldfinch, Dunkirk) stars as the eponymous Rogue Trooper, alongside Hayley Atwell (Captain America: The First Avenger, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One), Jack Lowden (Slow Horses, Dunkirk), Daryl McCormack (Bad Sisters, Good Luck To You Leo Grande), and Reece Shearsmith(Inside No. 9, Saltburn). Rounding out the cast is an incredible ensemble, which includes Jemaine Clement (Avatar 2: The Way of Water), Matt Berry (What We Do in the Shadows), Diane Morgan(Cunk on Earth), Alice Lowe (Black Mirror), Asa Butterfield (Sex Education, Hugo) and Sean Bean(Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings).

Comic Book Punks: How a Generation of Brits Reinvented Pop Culture by Karl Stock looks to be a good primer on the overall UK comic book scene. However if you're an illiterate fool like me and/or looking for something accessible that is specifically about 2000AD then I'd recommend the (now OOP) Future Shock documentary released on DVD/Blu-Ray by Arrow Video. I would also hasten to add there is more to Rebellion than comics, a quick glance reveals a whole range of genre novels, interesting both in their own right & for potential source material.

Roanne-Lau-Acquisition-Announcement.png
Solaris-Acquisition-Announcement_RT-Ester.png

Solaris to publish The Serpent Called Mercy by Roanne Lau for the UK

Solaris is delighted to announce the acquisition of The Serpent Called Mercy by Roanne Lau for the UK, a Malaysian Chinese-inspired epic fantasy novel for fans of Squid Game and The Witcher in which a debt-ridden slumdog joins an illegal monster-fighting arena.

Lythlet and her only friend Desil are shackled to a life of debt and poverty that she fears they will never escape. Desperate for money, they sign up as conquessors: arena combatants who fight sun-cursed beasts in the seedy underworld of the city.
The Serpent Called Mercy will be released in January 2025.​

Solaris acquires dark sci-fi debut The Ganymedan by R.T. Ester

Solaris is thrilled to announce the acquisition of The Ganymedan by R.T. Ester, a dark and compelling science fiction debut that examines agency and sacrifice through one man’s desperate attempt to reach home.

The prodigal son of an anti-AI rebel faction, Kerwin Dotnet tried to make a life for himself as a mixologist on Mars. Now his tyrannical employer, the richest man alive, has been murdered, and K-Dot must depend on first-generation AI spaceship TR-8901 to get him to safety on Jupiter—or suffer a fate worse than death. But TR has a direct interest in identifying the murderer, and its devotion to law and order is the only thing keeping it from purposely self-destructing after 200 years of obsolescence.
The Ganymedan will be released in November 2025.​
One thing that really struck me about the strip and the ending is that it feels like there’s a lot more to be told with Antumnos and Agent Sharpe? Is that the case and how eager are you for Tharg to get in touch about continuing it?
JON LOCK:
If the option presents itself, I’d leap at the chance to expand the world of Antumnos. Contact with the fair folk and their otherworldly fortress of Caer Sidi has significant consequences for humanity, leaving HERNE on the frontline of a brewing war.

I’d also like to explore exactly how humanity survived its first contact with the Otherworld, centuries prior, and what secrets remain hidden beneath the Welsh landscape.
Revolution Software inspired (or hired!) to make an point & click Autumnos? Hire me Sir Chris & Jason! On the subject of Revolting Displays...y u delist Republic: The Revolution Rebellion?!
brokensword1_27.gif
brokensword1_28.gif
..when you’re replying to a 3 months old post by & you inadvertently come up with an idea for the Greatest Game of All Space & Time. 😊 Seriously. I want it. I want to play it. I want to work on it. I now want to see how Broken Sword: Reforged turns out even more than before & how the above scenes play out & see about summoning up the courage to contact Jon Lock & Richard Elson.

nanomachines videogames son!​

Thanks for digging into the film and publishing side of their business. I hadn't bothered with that yet, but it looks like they're certainly active with that.

I find it difficult to gauge how much they can expect from those productions and properties. I haven't grown up with the "2000 AD" series, so I feel no connection with it at all. I wonder how big the audience for that is...

3 days later not 3 months, customer service is slowly improving! 2000AD entry point, if you've seen Dredd (if not, why not?!?) check out both of the free tie-in comics. On writer Jon Lock...
00.large.jpg
00.large.jpg
00.large.jpg

DREDD MOVIE PREQUEL

Jon is a writer with over 10 years' experience of
creating amazing worlds and stories. His work has been published by 2000AD, Macmillan and
Retroware.
The best advice I ever received is that 'there is nothing more overrated than a good idea'. I pride myself on having good ideas (and maybe a sense of humour to match) but those ideas would be nothing without the determination needed to make them a reality.
I feel attacked. But a valuable reminder of how talk is cheap, you have to walk the walk.
Toxie-screenshot-2.jpg
Toxie-screenshot-4.jpg

Need help with your project or just want to say
hello? Please get in touch. I’d love to be of
assistance.

Gotta summon up some of that @Aostia82 top notch Jupiter-tier courage to contact 'em.

Publisher Retroware hired me to write the upcoming Toxic Crusaders video game based on the hit characters from Troma Entertainment and Lloyd Kaufman.​
Back on topic & to answer your query directly, no idea. The only way to find out is to develop more titles in-house and/or license them to others. Starting with the Rogue Trooper feature.
Rogue-Trooper.jpg

The animated film, which is being created with Epic’s 3D tool Unreal Engine 5, was adapted by Duncan Jones from the comic book published by 2000 AD, home to “Judge Dredd,” “Halo Jones” and “Sláine.” “Rogue Trooper,” produced by Rebellion and Liberty Films, has wrapped principal photography at Rebellion Film Studios in the U.K. The film is set to be finished next year.

Duncan Jones said: “2000 AD offers a very different flavor of comic action: Political and brutal at times, but always with a Pythonesque twinkle in the eye. ‘Dredd’ (2012) was a taste of what 2000 AD has to offer and now we get to show the world another side of the beast. It is a genuine privilege to be given the opportunity to make ‘Rogue Trooper.'”

Treehouse Digital (“The Well”) is creating all imagery and animation for the film, working with Jones to bring to life the world of “Rogue Trooper” in Unreal Engine 5.

Producer Stuart Fenegan commented: “The advancements in Unreal Engine 5 and the inclusion of MetaHuman rigs mean that it is now possible to achieve a very high standard of animation within an indie budget. Working with our amazing partners at Rebellion, Epic and Treehouse Digital we are pioneering and developing a new creative pipeline that will enable independent production of CG animated films.”

Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley, who is a producer on “Rogue Trooper,” added: “’Rogue Trooper’ highlights Rebellion’s leading position within the entertainment industries. It has been filmed at our dedicated Oxfordshire film studios and combines beautiful storytelling from our iconic 2000 AD comic-book universe with animation and production technology from the video game industry. We cannot wait for everyone to see these incredible stories brought to life on screen.”
Ideally there is a new Rogue Trooper game already in the late stages of development by Rebellion Developments in collaboration with Treehouse Digital, sharing UE5 work materials where possible & practical. That is bearing in mind the major differences between creative mediums & engines. The latter depending on whether or not Rebellion is still using its Asura engine...

Hoping that it'll be announced to coincide (roughly) in time for the feature but if its not currently in the works, then it should be greenlit pronto! Well that & a certain Rebellion North title...
Sep 3, 2022
Surprised no one mentioned Eternal Darkness remaster yet. Didn't sell that much on the Gamecube (less than 500k according to https://www.eurogamer.net/eternal-darkness-sanitys-requiem-retrospective) but it did have a 92% metacritic score, and I think the Switch audience is much more amenable to such a game (and just very slightly bigger).
While unlikely, not least due to what @Blue Monty has mentioned, Nintendo could seek out third party studio that have already done good work on Switch like Rebellion Developments (Sniper Elite, Zombie Army). Third person over the shoulder, balance staying true to original narrative & improving upon the gameplay loop (see Homeworld 3 developer quote from the other day). Bonus points if they have a 2000AD comic book tie in, hell they could hire one of its many artists to freshen up the in game visual style. Comic Book Cosmic Survival Horror! (edit: the old ones typo).
Feb 25, 2023
Not sure why people are questioning if new hardware we know nothing (officially) about is up to the (unspecified) task when the Switch has been used by many developers to good effect (Doom, The Witcher 3, Alien Isolation) plus lesser known examples like Rebellion Developments studio Rebellion North widely praised Switch versions. Extra, extra, read all about it!

How Rebellion North are spreading their wings with best-in-class ports and original projects
Our "Sniper Elite 4" Journey: Lessons in Porting AAA Action Games to the Nintendo Switch
Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition: Switch vs PS4 Tested - A Superb Conversion!
Zombie Army 4 - Switch vs PS4 - A Next-Level 'Impossible Port' - DF Tech Review
Nintendo can identify games with quality ports on Switch, seek out the studios responsible & investigate the possibility of offering contract work for new projects. Eternal Darkness Reboot?
a86ab9fb-c0d5-4da0-95a3-cfd1ed2ecf30_text.gif
Setting aside my Rebellion Developments/2000AD fan-fiction (for now) if its a question of financial risk, then why not take a leaf out of the Skybound crowdfund/public investment book?

Video game developed by global entertainment co. of The Walking Dead, Invincible​

Got Problem?
127280-1712012462-3e8b40a0afb03b863613587cca03dcdd16cb3f54.png

Most crowdfunded video games are centered around indie games and retail investors rarely have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of AAA game publishers. Skybound is developing a highly produced, high-octane blood bath that is anything but indie. Our bona fide global hit IP, Invincible, is at the center, and we've hand-picked our own team, consisting of more than 30 gaming industry veterans to make it happen.

We have successfully raised $18 million from everyday investors and fans via Republic/Seedrs, and we are inviting you to join us once again.

What do you say? Guts, gore, and potential investor glory?

Found Solution!
30 experienced employees from the likes of Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts (EA), Epic Games, and more as the driving force behind our in-house studio. The studio will be headed by newly appointed Head of Games Publishing, Chris Paulson (formerly of Activision Blizzard), and EVP of Games Production, Patrick Gilmore (formerly of Amazon Games).
  • Developing a AAA studio of 30+ vets from EA, Activision Blizzard, Epic Games, Amazon Games, and more. High octane games with meticulous development and incredible production value
  • This is the first of many Invincible, The Walking Dead, and other popular IP that Skybound will continue to make games for in-house

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom