• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PS5/XBS Stock Watch: 2024 and Beyond

Which console do you think will sell best this month in the US? Looking back over the weeks, it looks like PS5 has received a huge stocks this month.
In the prediction thread I'm going Switch > Xbox > PS5

Switch has been in stock for awhile now, no longer selling out, so it's hard to determine when its demand will actually fall below the other two. I think it's a safe bet as #1 as it has been most of the year.

Xbox always has the Series S as a buffer to PS5 which is why I think Xbox > PS5. I'm hesitant to have Series X be a absolute monster seller in July as the Amazon restock was small and no GameStop drop happened, but it should still be the second best month for the X behind March.

In the prediction thread I'm going Switch > Xbox > PS5

Switch has been in stock for awhile now, no longer selling out, so it's hard to determine when its demand will actually fall below the other two. I think it's a safe bet as #1 as it has been most of the year.

Xbox always has the Series S as a buffer to PS5 which is why I think Xbox > PS5. I'm hesitant to have Series X be a absolute monster seller in July as the Amazon restock was small and no GameStop drop happened, but it should still be the second best month for the X behind March.
In addition to that, it is very difficult to know the restock at Walmart, Target or Best Buy, as there are always some available, the only way to know is by people who do not have one in their state one week and do the next.

Seems like similar stock levels:
F3v6Bip.png

People get 3 days to buy the console after being invited so we'll see how they place Thursday
Yeah. But so far not a big discrepancy. That's something to note.
There was a time people were super fast pulling the trigger on every PS5 drop. Those times seem to be over.
Series X is also normal demand, as that console isn't scalped anymore even the US, right?

Yeah. But so far not a big discrepancy. That's something to note.
There was a time people were super fast pulling the trigger on every PS5 drop. Those times seem to be over.
Series X is also normal demand, as that console isn't scalped anymore even the US, right?
The Horizon bundles sell slower than the regulars but still sell out by days end.

Series X isn't scalped anymore.

Did the Horizon bundle disappear from the amazon best sellers archive charts? Checked this morning and couldn't find it.

After half a day

#3 PS5
#5 Series X

More days will better show the real difference but right now I'd say PS5 had somewhat more units

Did the Horizon bundle disappear from the amazon best sellers archive charts? Checked this morning and couldn't find it.
Where did you look? I see it in July.

July 2022 Full Month (July 02 - July 30)

PS5 - NPD: ???
Week #StoresSource Post
1AntonlineSource
2GameStop / Amazon / Best BuySource
3GameStop / Best Buy / AntonlineSource
4GameStop / Sony Direct (3) / Antonline / Sam's ClubSource

Xbox Series - NPD: ???
Week #StoresSource
1Target / Best Buy / MS StoreSource
2Amazon (2)Source
3Walmart / AntonlineSource
4Antonline / VerizonSource

Notes
Major Amazon update: The Xbox Series S vanished from the rankings June 17th and hasn't come back. This isn't due to a drop in sales, even previous months results have disappeared. Why this happened I don't know.

Amazon full month rankings: #32 PS5 Horizon Bundle $549 / #83 Xbox Series X $499 (PS5 $499 was also in stock but fell outside top 100) (Amazon full month goes from July 01 to July 31) Source

Best Buy is selling units in store on a store by store basis. These sales don't get announced, but online drops will still be reported.

Xbox Series S is in stock at every major and small retailer.

Xbox Series X was in stock at Best Buy and Microsoft the entire month and Walmart and Target starting Week 3.

Target now sells Xbox Series X|S and PS5 in store as stores get units, no longer on event schedule.

July looks to be an up month from the lows of last quarter. Both PS5 and Series X have made plenty of restocks and have stayed in stock longer than expected. PS5 seems to be taking advantage of the messed up supply-demand curve and has silently raised the price of both PS5 models with a forced Horizon Forbidden Bundle which has been the main offering since June. These bundles are the ones that stay in stock the longest, either pointing to lower demand for more expensive PS5's or that there are simply a lot of them.

Xbox Series X is going to be interesting to look at. 3 of the 5 major retailers had reliable and consistent supply this month, the first time since March. There's nothing else to really say as there are no numbers to help quantify what the Series X sells day to day.

Last edited:
August 2022 - Week 1 (July 31 - August 06)

PS5
August 01: Amazon [1]

Xbox Series
August 01: Amazon [1]

[1]

Notes
Amazon rankings for the week: #6 PS5 Horizon Bundle $549 / #11 Xbox Series X $499 / #13 PS5 $499 (Amazon weeks are from Monday to Sunday, so this week was August 01 - August 07) Source

Best Buy is selling units in store on a store by store basis. These sales don't get announced, but online drops will still be reported.

Xbox Series S is in stock at all major and smaller retailers

Microsoft has been sending out emails with direct links to buying an Xbox Series X

Target sells Xbox Series X|S and PS5 in store as stores get units, no longer on event schedule.

*Series X is available at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and the Microsoft Store and has been since July.

Last edited:
Right now is the slow demand time of the year.
Let's see how things go into late summer and early fall plus holiday shopping.

Major shortages could come back, if supply doesn't increase with demand.
This will probably be the first holiday period that tells us something about real demand for the consoles.
Hopefully we see 2m+ for November and December again.

Small Amazon update but PS5 fell behind Series X in the hourly rankings earlier today, 6/7, now the ranking is 6/8

Series X/PS5

Couple more hours and the monthly chart will update.

Yeah, super hard to predict. July and August are generally the worst months.
@Welfare what are the historical bet July results?
May is actually the worst month.

For PS and Xbox (using the same data set I made when you asked the top 10 non holiday months for them), July's average is 163.1K, May 150.5K

Here's every month, note that I'm also counting results after a console's successor would be out, so 7th gen beyond 2013 and PS2 after 2006 are counted. Should still be a fair comparison between each month which is what I'm comparing, not necessarily the most accurate "real" average.

Jan: 198.8K
Feb: 252.1K
Mar: 247.8K
Apr: 165.8K
May: 150.5K
Jun: 227.5K
Jul: 163.1K
Aug: 167K
Sep: 238.9K
Oct: 201K

Best months for PS/Xbox on average

February
March
September
June
October
January
August
April
July
May

Key takeaways: February is the top month even above 5 week months due to tax returns always peaking this month. All 5 week months take the next 3 places, March in front due to residual tax returns effect from February, September is the start of Fall spending, June is when school is over and summer vacation begins.

October is next due to it being between September and November. January mainly benefits from December and sometimes tax returns can start in the second half of the month.

The bottom 4 are interchangeable in demand but certain factors help some more than others. August is prime time Madden month, April is the wind down from March, July is Month 2 of summer vacation and wind down from June, and May is basically stuck between the continued demand decline from April and the guaranteed demand spike from June.

July should be good this year due to increased supply. It should easily beat May.

May is actually the worst month.

For PS and Xbox (using the same data set I made when you asked the top 10 non holiday months for them), July's average is 163.1K, May 150.5K

Here's every month, note that I'm also counting results after a console's successor would be out, so 7th gen beyond 2013 and PS2 after 2006 are counted. Should still be a fair comparison between each month which is what I'm comparing, not necessarily the most accurate "real" average.

Jan: 198.8K
Feb: 252.1K
Mar: 247.8K
Apr: 165.8K
May: 150.5K
Jun: 227.5K
Jul: 163.1K
Aug: 167K
Sep: 238.9K
Oct: 201K

Best months for PS/Xbox on average

February
March
September
June
October
January
August
April
July
May

Key takeaways: February is the top month even above 5 week months due to tax returns always peaking this month. All 5 week months take the next 3 places, March in front due to residual tax returns effect from February, September is the start of Fall spending, June is when school is over and summer vacation begins.

October is next due to it being between September and November. January mainly benefits from December and sometimes tax returns can start in the second half of the month.

The bottom 4 are interchangeable in demand but certain factors help some more than others. August is prime time Madden month, April is the wind down from March, July is Month 2 of summer vacation and wind down from June, and May is basically stuck between the continued demand decline from April and the guaranteed demand spike from June.

July should be good this year due to increased supply. It should easily beat May.
I find it very strange that the stock of series x lasts in best but, target or walmart for weeks, and in amazon it has lasted for hours.....😅😅😅

I suppose it will be because it does not warn of reruns, right?

By the way, in gamestop they haven't sent consoles for a long time?

yesterday I saw a tweet from gamestop where they announced that there were consoles through all access but maybe it's in the future, I don't know

@Welfare
Thanks, as always. But I was looking for the top 10 best selling July to see what records could be broken.
Xbox/PlayStation only

Xbox 360Jul-10444,000
PS2Jul-02436,000
PS2Jul-01352,000
PS2Jul-03310,000
PS2Jul-04305,000
Xbox 360Jul-11277,000
PS2Jul-05262,000
PS2Jul-06242,000
PS3Jul-08225,000
PS2Jul-07222,000

Nintendo consoles included

WiiJul-08555,000
Xbox 360Jul-10444,000
PS2Jul-02436,000
WiiJul-07425,000
SwitchJul-21400,000
PS2Jul-01352,000
SwitchJul-20340,000
PS2Jul-03310,000
PS2Jul-04305,000
Xbox 360Jul-11277,000

The Horizon PS5 bundle is now being sold on Amazon

The HFW Bundle had more stock than regular PS5.
So overall the PS5 shipment on Amazon was a lot bigger than Series X. But that's to be expected.
Only including Series S sales, Xbox Series can sell more. Just Series X having better stock than all of PS5 would result in a huge sales gap.

Amazon August so far:
#5 HFW PS5 disk
#9 Series X
#12 PS5 disk

Last edited:
The second wave of Amazon stock happened today.

August 2022 - Week 2 (August 07 - August 13)

PS5
August 08: Amazon

Xbox Series
August 08: Amazon

[1]

Notes
Amazon rankings for the week: #3 PS5 Horizon Bundle $549 / #7 Xbox Series X $499 / #10 PS5 $499 (Amazon weeks are from Monday to Sunday, so this week was August 08 - August 14) Source

Microsoft has been sending out emails with direct links to buying an Xbox Series X

Target sells Xbox Series X|S and PS5 in store as stores get units, no longer on event schedule.

*Series X is available at Walmart, Target, and the Microsoft Store and has been since July.

Last edited:
Another Amazon drop for Series X and PS5.

Amazon has been the only retailer this month lol.

Somewhat makes sense, that classic retailers want constant stock to drive consumers to the store and make other related purchases.
Amazon is probably happy with just getting shipments 2 or 3 times a year as that is more cost effective for them.
These 3 drops in August are probably just one big shipment (at least purchase order) split on the selling side.

Might be that Amazon is done until the holiday season after this again.

Series X on Best Buy went from Sold Out to Unavailable (near me) yesterday so I think some regions are getting it again.

August 2022 - Week 3 (August 14 - August 20)

PS5
August 16: Amazon
August 17: Sony Direct [1]
August 19: GameStop [2]

Xbox Series
August 16: Best Buy / Amazon [3]

[1]

[2]

[3]

Notes
Amazon rankings for the week: #8 PS5 Horizon Bundle $549 / #9 Xbox Series X $499 / #20 PS5 $499 (Amazon weeks are from Monday to Sunday, so this week was August 15 - August 21) Source

*Series X is available at Walmart, Target, and the Microsoft Store and has been since July.

Last edited:
Series X Best Buy is starting to come back in stock. Florida has them for pickup within 5 days.

PS5 GameStop is rumored for Friday.

Series S is having a free game deal today. Doesn't have an end date from what I can find.

Series S is having a free game deal today. Doesn't have an end date from what I can find.

So that is Best Buy and the Microsoft Store already.
Might be the first nation-wide manufacturer promoted discount for a next gen system.

Xbox generally loved to do those around the Madden release.

edit:
Yes
Amazon, Target and Gamestop, too

Last edited:
August 2022 - Week 3 (August 14 - August 20)

PS5
August 16: Amazon
August 17: Sony Direct [1]
August 19: GameStop [2]

Xbox Series
August 16: Best Buy / Amazon [3]

[1]

[2]

[3]

Notes

The Sony Direct sales are tracked by NPD?

The Sony Direct sales are tracked by NPD?
NPD estimates all retail numbers to 100%. If they don't get exact numbers from Sony (and Microsoft from the MS Store), they would still project these sales.

Series S + Madden shows up in the Amazon hourly chart at #321
Not as good as the prime day deal, but still moving some units.
There are also 7 different games to choose from.

Series S + Madden shows up in the Amazon hourly chart at #321
Not as good as the prime day deal, but still moving some units.
There are also 7 different games to choose from.
Series X also got some stock today. #5 and ahead of both PS5 models

It's stupid that the main Series S SKU doesn't show up in the rankings but the Madden pack in will lol

More Amazon drops today. Let's see if these weekly drops continue into September

August 2022 - Week 4 (August 21 - August 27)

PS5
August 22: Amazon / Sony Direct [1]
August 23: Walmart / Sony Direct [2][3]

Xbox Series
August 22: Amazon [3]

[1]

[2]

[3]

Notes
Amazon rankings for the week: #12 Xbox Series X $499 / #48 PS5 $499 / #96 PS5 Horizon Bundle $549 (Amazon weeks are from Monday to Sunday, so this week was August 22 - August 28) Source

*Series X is available at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and the Microsoft Store and has been since at least week.

Last edited:
The Horizon Forbidden West ps5 disc bundle has now been in stock at PlayStation Direct for 32+ hrs now and is still in stock right now.

The PS5 disc sku by itself has been in stock for 8+ hrs now and is still in stock at PlayStation Direct right now.

PlayStation Direct also has the digital ps5/Forbidden West bundle in stock right now. I'm not sure how long that's been in stock for.

It looks like Sony is starting to get a better handle on their supply issues, at least in terms of PlayStation Direct supplies. There have been constant drops at PlayStation Direct and each time, stock has lasted many hours each time. Right now, this is the longest stock has ever lasted.

Last edited:
The Horizon Forbidden West ps5 disc bundle has now been in stock at PlayStation Direct for 32+ hrs now and is still in stock right now.

The PS5 disc sku by itself has been in stock for 8+ hrs now and is still in stock at PlayStation Direct right now.

PlayStation Direct also has the digital ps5/Forbidden West bundle in stock right now. I'm not sure how long that's been in stock for.

It looks like Sony is starting to get a better handle on their supply issues, at least in terms of PlayStation Direct supplies. There have been constant drops at PlayStation Direct and each time, stock has lasted many hours each time. Right now, this is the longest stock has ever lasted.

I wonder how stock is improving in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom