• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PS5 Trend in Europe

Star Ocean

Banned
Student
User requested account closure
Territories includes Nordic, Benelux, uk, France , ireland , italy , oceania and Iberia

OeL70xm.png

RZF6h94.png

Keep in mind only PS5 Native SKU

Makes sense to me considering how expensive Sony's first party games and some third party games are on PS5 (80€). You save a significant amount of money, from 15 to 20€, by buying at retail.

A question about the second graph: if we sum the retail and software units ratio, do we get the PS5 tie-ratio for software sales (with the PS5 Digital version excluded as aforementioned)?

A question about the second graph: if we sum the retail and software units ratio, do we get the PS5 tie-ratio for software sales (with the PS5 Digital version excluded as aforementioned)?

We dont need to exclude ps5 digital version , we add retail + network sales (full software digital sales). We have the ratios but for month wise specifically

Though kinda sucks the data is missing September which had big sport releases

We dont need to exclude ps5 digital version , we add retail + network sales (full software digital sales). We have the ratios but for month wise specifically

Though kinda sucks the data is missing September which had big sport releases

Oh my apologies: when I read your footnote in the OP I thought you meant that only the PS5 SKU with the disc-reader was included for the tie-ratio rather than both the version with the disc-reader and the one without it; meanwhile, you were specifying only PS5 native SKUs were tracked. Now I get my own misunderstanding XD

So

PS5 software tie-ratio (retail SKUs + digital SKUs) / (PS5 regular + PS5 Digital Version)

November - 1,79 games per system
December - 1,97
January - 1,98
February - 1,72
March - 1,53
April - 1,59
May - 1,72
June - 1,81
July - 1,76
August - 1,78

Also, since the first graph shows cumulative software sales month after month, by extracing the monthly differences between cumulative totals + pixel counting shouldn't we be able to compute monthly hardware sales as well?

Interesting. Two observations: the overall attach ratio is a lot lower than I expected and the continued increase of physical share is not what I expected either.
Oh my apologies: when I read your footnote in the OP I thought you meant that only the PS5 SKU with the disc-reader was included for the tie-ratio rather than both the version with the disc-reader and the one without it; meanwhile, you were specifying only PS5 native SKUs were tracked. Now I get my own misunderstanding XD

So

PS5 software tie-ratio (retail SKUs + digital SKUs) / (PS5 regular + PS5 Digital Version)

November - 1,79 games per system
December - 1,97
January - 1,98
February - 1,72
March - 1,53
April - 1,59
May - 1,72
June - 1,81
July - 1,76
August - 1,78

Also, since the first graph shows cumulative software sales month after month, by extracing the monthly differences between cumulative totals + pixel counting shouldn't we be able to compute monthly hardware sales as well?
Seems like it should be possible if our understanding of the graphs is correct. I could do a full run if people want but it comes out to 3.34M LTD sales for the end of August.

(Warning: anecdotal and personal opinion below!)
Yes, I always liked physical and I don't lend or share games but I regularly buy digital games, however with PSN new game prices going up and upgrade costs and other initiatives I don't agree with, I have found myself looking more and more towards retail.

Retail here in Ireland and the UK is dominated by just a handful of businesses but chains like Smyths offer excellent sales compared to PSN, where you could easily save over 60 euro if you bought 5 games there as opposed to on the PSN Store.

If anything it has reinforced how important retail is as an option, to offer competition and alternatives to consumers and I hope more people realize the benefits and long term importance of a healthy retail environment.

I also often see people compare gaming to music and film, however for me I always equated gaming (particularly story based games) with literature... I read and experience a good book and then put it on the shelf till I feel like I need to experience it again and refresh my memory... games like SOTC, GOW, TLOU etc really exemplify that. You look at the game on your shelf and instantly remember and connect with it.

I really have a hard time understanding PlayStation managements strategy here, potentially pricing out customers around launch when marketing, hype and conversation is at its height and the game will only get cheaper from that point.... keeping the game at 60 dollars / euro should have been non-negotiable.

It is particularly hypocritical of Jim Ryan to talk about 100 million+ people playing PS 1st party games and then increasing prices (which always leads to lower sales)...
While the games can barely clear a million sales on PC...

Doesn't this also include bundled games? Many retailers sell the (non-digital) version of the PS5 with one or two games.

Personally i'm glad Sony offered a digital only version since that saved me money.
I only buy ebooks and digital games (except Ringfit and Labo) and since PC gaming is 99% digital i don't think no retail would be a problem.
(I'm not saying everything would improve for everyone. Valve is very different from Sony in terms of key selling etc)

Also makes sense that the ratio between Digital/Physical will continue to lean more towards Physical over time as the PS5 audience expands beyond just the most hardcore enthusiasts and to a wider audience.

Also makes sense that the ratio between Digital/Physical will continue to lean more towards Physical over time as the PS5 audience expands beyond just the most hardcore enthusiasts and to a wider audience.
Dunno. To me it feels that hardcore audience is actually the one that still buys a lot of physical games and casuals are more likely to go full digital as it's more convenient. Like FIFA and COD are games with extremely high digital share nowadays and also games with wide mainstream appeal. of course so far that chart on op shows opposite so maybe it's just my gut feeling.

Dunno. To me it feels that hardcore audience is actually the one that still buys a lot of physical games and casuals are more likely to go full digital as it's more convenient. Like FIFA and COD are games with extremely high digital share nowadays and also games with wide mainstream appeal. of course so far that chart on op shows opposite so maybe it's just my gut feeling.

The ratio here don't show an accurate picture anyways.

Majority of catalogue games are PS4 sku and several digital publishers are not tracked which was highlighted by Zhuge

Back
Top Bottom