• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PS5 Hits 20 Million Units Sold

Welfare

Staff
Scholar Archivist Staff
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"We are thrilled to share that Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) has sold more than 20 million PlayStation 5 consoles globally," said Veronica Rogers, SVP, Head of Global Sales and Business Operations at Sony Interactive Entertainment.

"Since PS5's launch, our teams have worked tirelessly to deliver a truly next-gen gaming console that has won the world over and the we want to take this time to thank the fans for their support. Your passion for the PlayStation brand is what drives us and what inspires us to innovate new technology, engineer the future of gaming, and continue creating the best place to play."

Shipments were 19.3M as of March 31, 2022.

Shipments in First 6 Quarters
PS4: 22.4M
PS5: 19.3M

20M milestone reached
PS4: 20.2M March 1, 2015 (472 days) https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2015/150304a.html

PS5: 20M June 1?, 2022 (~567 days)

Last edited:
From GI.biz,

The console has been in huge demand since it launched in November 2020, and if it was not for a global shortage on components, it will have hit that milestone far earlier. The company says it is planning a 'significant ramp-up' in console production during the remainder of the year.

"We are thrilled to share that Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) has sold more than 20 million PlayStation 5 consoles globally," said Veronica Rogers, SVP, Head of Global Sales and Business Operations at Sony Interactive Entertainment.

"To those fans who have yet to get their hands on a console, please know that we are planning on a significant ramp-up in PS5 production this year and we are working endlessly to make sure that PlayStation 5 is available for everyone who wants one."

I have been seeing more drop alerts from Wario64 recently (at least state side). Hopefully this means we will see healthy stock going forward. Holidays will be a big test.

Nice milestone, can't help but think how high it would be right now if the conditions were right. Hopefully the production problems get solved ASAP.

PS4 reached 20.2 million units back in March 2015, so 3 months head of PS5.

That's still a pretty good results considering shortages.

As of March 31th they had sold 19.5m consoles, do we know when they reached 20m? 500k in two months seems too low
Shipped =/= sold through.

Comparatively PS4 hit 20m on March 1st, so PS5 is now 3 months behind in sell-through.

That's still on pace for a 100M+ selling device if peak sales are yet to come.

If between Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series the industry can maintain 300M sales that's a healthy console market.

That's still on pace for a 100M+ selling device if peak sales are yet to come.

If between Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series the industry can maintain 300M sales that's a healthy console market.
It was 19.3 and that’s a shipped as of March 31. It’s closer to 1m in 2 months than 500k.

Did Sony reveal what day it hit 20 million units sold? I wonder if it was this week or last week. Sony on July 28 announced the PS5 sold 10 million on July 18.

Edit: I asked Chris from GamesIndustry, "Did Sony say what day the PS5 hit 20 million units sold?" and he replied, "I understood it just has, but I can check."

Last edited:
Xbox is clawing back market share but probably not that much and likely only in a handful of markets. I think the 2:1 ratio will hold true for most of the generation.
Right now it's more like +40% for PS5. PS5 would need to somehow triple Xbox for multiple years to get back to a 2:1 lead.

The difference between the two after another few years should only be in the low 10's of millions. Right now the difference is only a few million.

Right now it's more like +40% for PS5. PS5 would need to somehow triple Xbox for multiple years to get back to a 2:1 lead.

The difference between the two after another few years should only be in the low 10's of millions. Right now the difference is only a few million.
So where are you expecting Series to end up in relation to other Xbox consoles?

If we have a 1TB Xbox Series S for U$250,00 this year, and a U$400,00 Digital Xbox Series X, i believe Microsoft can sell 10~12 million consoles per year.
To early.
But next year we should see slight revisions with more ssd space.

A digital Series X is also something I would not expect before a major revision with die shrink.

If we have a 1TB Xbox Series S for U$250,00 this year, and a U$400,00 Digital Xbox Series X, i believe Microsoft can sell 10~12 million consoles per year.
You won't see a $249 Series S until a revision comes out at $299 and the current S is on clearance.

I actually believe and hope that the next X console is just digital only, but it would still be sold at $499.

I don't think Xbox will ever permanently cut the price, only doing deals during the holidays and potentially spring, but that's only when supply for both models are at 100%.

XBS was behind XB1 in US and UK as of the end of 2021.
Worldwide it was ahead which would suggest it was already in that 12M range at the end of 2021. 5 months in 2022 I think even a low ball of 2M additional units is reasonable to assume.

I would guess around 15M too for Xbox Series.

I also expect the gap to move to roughly 2:1 in around a couple of years, with stock improvements.

You won't see a $249 Series S until a revision comes out at $299 and the current S is on clearance.

I actually believe and hope that the next X console is just digital only, but it would still be sold at $499.

I don't think Xbox will ever permanently cut the price, only doing deals during the holidays and potentially spring, but that's only when supply for both models are at 100%.
We see $249 Series S on a weekly basis, it's why I finally bought one :p

I'm pretty sure XBS has sold more during early 2022 than XBO sold during early 2015, both in the US/UK and worldwide, so XBS being below XBO launch-aligned by the end of 2021 in the US/UK won't really hold for much longer.

Last edited:
Did you get it off Woot?

But I think all the Xbox talk in a PS5 thread is off topic.

I disagree. I think it's all connected and we're all talking about the same thing. The sales or lack thereof of one console help put the sales of another into some type of perspective. It's the entire basis of market share.

I disagree. I think it's all connected and we're all talking about the same thing. The sales or lack thereof of one console help put the sales of another into some type of perspective. It's the entire basis of market share.
The last 12 posts were all about Xbox and about half the thread is solely on Xbox.

Like, we need more posts about PS5 at least lol

PS4 US split at 20.2M: ~36%
PS5 US split at 20M: ~38%

A slight US gain for PS5 is interesting given the supply constraints this gen. Shows that Sony is putting a bit more focus on the US over what the natural demand for PS4 was compared to other markets.

The last 12 posts were all about Xbox and about half the thread is solely on Xbox.

Like, we need more posts about PS5 at least lol

PS4 US split at 20.2M: ~36%
PS5 US split at 20M: ~38%

A slight US gain for PS5 is interesting given the supply constraints this gen. Shows that Sony is putting a bit more focus on the US over what the natural demand for PS4 was compared to other markets.
PS5 seems to be selling well on China also. Which market is losing share? Europe?

PS5 seems to be selling well on China also. Which market is losing share? Europe?
LATAM I’d imagine , Xbox Series especially S is a lot more popular there than PS5. In most countries there PS5 is in stock at almost all times due to being too expensive compared to Series S.
Also mainline europe it seems Sony dominance over MS will not be that big so probably also there as you said

Last edited:
LATAM I’d imagine , Xbox Series especially S is a lot more populars there than PS5. In most countries there PS5 is in stock at almost all times due to being too expensive compared to Series S.
Also mainline europe it seems Sony dominance over MS will not be that big so probably also there as you said

Japan as well. XS sells so little so not much in the grand scheme of things, but still a market share loss overall in comparison to last gen. How much of this is stock I believe we will find out second half of next year according to Sony's stock projections.

China wasn't even a market for PS4 until March 2015, after the 20.2M announcement, so that would be a big chunk of share taken from another region.

PS5 China was 670K in March 2022, let's just say it's 700K now. That's 3.5%.

Overall US and China have "gained" nearly 6% of total market share for PS5.

I think if we get get a discless X model, they'd just price match PS5 DE at $399.99. Which honestly might not be a bad plan to coincide with a die shrink, call it the Xbox Series XS or something.

X Box the original 24 million copies sold
360 about 84 million
The next one, I thinks there’s estimated numbers…50 millions?
But we never know the truth

X Box the original 24 million copies sold
360 about 84 million
The next one, I thinks there’s estimated numbers…50 millions?
But we never know the truth
84m for 360 is the last official number reported not the final number, lifetime sales are probabily 88 million or in that range.

Europe is definitely losing market share, it's trailing PS4 in markets we know about and smaller markets are probably hit harder.

As for Xbox sell through I'd guess about 14.5-15m at the same time, so not much difference at all between the two now thanks to the PS5's terrible supply Vs demand this last half a year or so.

I think it's almost guaranteed XBS will finish way ahead of XB1 by the end of the gen now and it's looking likely PS5 will be behind PS4 but it depends how long it goes on and how many extra revisions they bring out.

Probably not. The reported number for PS3 is not it's final number. It was still sold a couple years after iirc. Their numbers are really close.
At the same time, I think if PS3 had without a doubt outsold the Xbox, Sony would want everyone to have known. Not that there a guarantee one way or another, but it would be pretty strange after such a tough drawn out battle for Sony just to say nothing.

Probably not. The reported number for PS3 is not it's final number. It was still sold a couple years after iirc. Their numbers are really close.
The reported PS3 number is almost certainly the final number, reported as 87.4 million as of March 31, 2017 (the number was revealed/announced on their corporate website in April 2019). Sony announced the PS3 was discontinued in May 2017. Did they really keep producing them into the next fiscal year? Almost certainly not, it was probably just a delayed announcement, and even if they did, the number would be insignificant for less than two months of a dying production line.

Xbox 360 certainly outsold it. It was at 84 million in 2014, and insiders have NPD data that gets it over the 87.4 line with 2014-2016 NA alone.

Back
Top Bottom