• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Pokémon Scarlet/Violet sold over 10m units WW in their first 3 days, including 4.05m from Japan

Software go brrrrrrr

I thought the preorder stuff in Japan was just COMG going crazy but wooow 4M is an amazing result

I'm sorry to say this, but the people calling the game buggy fail to understand one thing. *It's still worth the price, by a long shot*. I'm not defending it, yes it should have been more polished, but it's a lovely game and I'm having far more fun than other more polished games out there asking for the same price. I don't understand making a difference by not buying the game when I'm still getting my money's worth, even without future patches.

Game is great fun. Buy it.

I can't say the same thing for BDSP for example. I mean, it probably is still worth the price just for the Pokémon gameplay alone,(again what people fail to realise is that these games are held to a different higher standard, as a stand alone game they offer so much fun and value for money) but there definitely is an argument to be made there, because it's a remake. There's no argument to be made with S/V no matter what glitch you find. Game is worth the asking price, even if it should have launched at a better state.

Even if you exclude its record breaking Japanese launch numbers, Scarlet/Violet would still have roughly the same launch sales figures as Sword/Shield and Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl.

Biggest exclusive launch in video game history?
Yes, and I don't think any other game comes close.

Biggest global openings for system-exclusive games (all of which either confirmed or very likely reached 3m+ units by their first Sunday on the market)

Sell-through in 1 day
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands (PC) - 3.7 million units
Diablo III (PC) - 3.5 million units
World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth (PC) - 3.4 million units
World of Warcraft: Legion (PC) - 3.3 million units
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (PC) - 3.3 million units
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (PC) - 3.3 million units
Halo 4 (360) - 220 million USD
Halo: Reach (360) - 200 million USD (U.S.A. + Europe only)
Halo 3 (360) - 170 million USD (U.S.A. only)
Halo 2 (XBX) - 2.38 million units = 125 million USD (U.S.A. + Canada only)

Sell-through in 2 days
Pokémon X/Y (3DS) - over 4 million units

Sell-through in 3 days
Pokémon Scarlet/Violet (NSW) - over 10 million units
Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW) - over 6.5 million units
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (NSW) - over 6 million units
Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW) - over 6 million units
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NSW) - over 5 million units
The Last of Us Part II (PS4) - 4 million units
Splatoon 3 (NSW) - 3.45 million units (Japan only)
Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 3.3 million units
God of War (PS4) - 3.1 million units
Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS) - 3.04 million units (excluding Europe)
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! (NSW) - over 3 million units

Sell-through in 6 days
Diablo III (PC) - 6.3 million units
Halo 4 (360) - over 300 million USD
Halo 3 (360) - 300 million USD

Shipments in 1 day
Pokémon Sun/Moon (3DS) - over 10 million units

Shipments in 3 days
Monster Hunter Rise (NSW) - over 4 million units
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - over 3.5 million units

Shipments in 12 days
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NSW) - 11.77 million units

Unknown global figures, but definitely among the best too based on regional trackers' sell-through estimates
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) - first week was 2.06 million units in the U.S.A. + 677k units in the UK

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this, but the people calling the game buggy fail to understand one thing. *It's still worth the price, by a long shot*. I'm not defending it, yes it should have been more polished, but it's a lovely game and I'm having far more fun than other more polished games out there asking for the same price. I don't understand making a difference by not buying the game when I'm still getting my money's worth, even without future patches.

Game is great fun. Buy it.

I can't say the same thing for BDSP for example. I mean, it probably is still worth the price just for the Pokémon gameplay alone,(again what people fail to realise is that these games are held to a different higher standard, as a stand alone game they offer so much fun and value for money) but there definitely is an argument to be made there, because it's a remake. There's no argument to be made with S/V no matter what glitch you find. Game is worth the asking price, even if it should have launched at a better state.
You are defending it lol.

It's fine to enjoy it and think it is worth the price of admission. Different people will have different thresholds for this stuff.

You don't need to pretend this isn't an advocation though, it is lol

Anyway, these numbers are bananas. Like holy shit, that is a monumental launch.

In 3 days, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet has exceeded Pokémon Sun/Moon lifetime sales in Japan

Top console games ranked on LTD unit sales in Japan (floor: 3 million units)
af78Sx6.png

Systems
NSW - 14
NDS - 11
3DS - 8
GMB - 5
Wii - 5
FCM - 4
SFC - 4
PS1 - 3
PSP - 2
GBA - 2
PS2 - 2
PS4 - 1

Publishers
Nintendo (incl. The Pokémon Company) - 43
Square Enix (incl. Square, Enix) - 9
Capcom - 6
Konami - 1
Level-5 - 1
Microsoft Game Studios - 1

Series
Pokémon - 16
Super Mario - 6
Monster Hunter - 6
Dragon Quest - 6
Mario Kart - 5
Animal Crossing - 3
Final Fantasy - 3
Splatoon - 2
Brain Age - 2
Wii Sports - 2
Super Smash Bros. - 1
Tetris - 1
Tomodachi Collection - 1
Ring Fit Adventure - 1
Wii Fit - 1
Momotaro Dentetsu - 1
Yo-kai Watch - 1
Minecraft - 1
The Legend of Zelda - 1
Donkey Kong - 1

Decades
1980s - 5
1990s - 10
2000s - 20
2010s - 19
2020s - 7

Pokémon Sword/Shield - explained here , the Expansion Pass SKU which sold ~200k units according to Famitsu estimates is not included in Nintendo's official shipment data

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 , Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - explained by Chris here

Monster Hunter Rise - the game sold 7,7 million units globally by December 2021 and David Gibson repeatedly reported that domestic sales represented at least 50% of its global sales ( 1 , 2 , 3 )

Monster Hunter: World - explained here , the Master Edition which sold >560k units according to Media Create estimates is not included in Capcom's leaked shipment data

Minecraft - this is the most difficult one to estimate due to the complete lack of official figures, the best we can get is boundaries for its 2018-2021 eShop sales + a guesstimate of its 2017 eShop sales + Media Create's physical estimate. 1m seems to be a good ballpark for its eShop sales as of December 2021 and by then Media Create had the game at 2.281.023 units LTD, since this is a rough estimate I rounded the total to 3,3m.

Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls - Level-5's official shipment data for Yo-kai Watch 2 includes the upgraded version Psychic Specters, so I used the same split found in Media Create estimates:
Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls (via Media Create) - 3.188.989 (54,50%)
Psychic Specters (via Media Create) - 2.662.103 (45,50%)
Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls/Psychic Specters (via Level-5) - 6.170.000 -> 54,50% of that is ~3.360.000

It's hard to process this kind of insane sales and then look at other threads where people are arguing the Switch is on it's last legs and needs a successor asap.

I find it interesting that a lot of the games that “did what the fans have wanted all along” have had record breaking success. Zelda and Pokémon going open world. Mario going back to sandbox. Smash bringing back every character and adding dream characters. Animal Crossing giving players unfettered freedom to customize their entire island. Mario Kart…being Mario Kart. Splatoon letting players skip the intro and play with friends or Salmon Run being available at all times. Elden Ring being an open world souls game.

What’s next?

Pokemon still being a phenomenon 25 years after its initial peak is incredible. They somehow manage to gain new young fans with every new generation. Crazy how catching little pocket monsters resonates so much with human beings.
They completely smashed the japanese record and if this is the fastest selling Nintendo game ever then I guess this has become the fastest selling first party game ever?
What I believe a lot of adult Pokemon fans and armchair analysts don't think about regarding Pokemon is just what you said. The series has maintained this level of popularity for this long because they keep making new fans of children with every generation.

When people say Pokemon games release too often, they are forgetting that while 2-3 years is a short time for an adult, it's a very long time for a child. The Pokemon Company maintains this frantic release schedule because they know that if kids are not exposed to the mania of a new Pokemon generation while they are at a certain age (~10-12 years) then the risk is they will miss out on making those kids into Pokemon fans.

Scarlet/Violet coming up behind Splatoon 3 for the record:

splatoon-inkling.gif

Absolutely unreal sales numbers. Cannot believe the opening record has been shattered twice in the space of two months. Barely believable!
Post automatically merged:

I must say that the biggest thing that has surprised me this gen with some switch games sales (like this Pokemon record) has been the new records set in japan considering demographics collapse of japan compared to DS and especially GB days. Nintendo really has managed to penetrate the older demographics. I thought those old records were unbeatable solely because of that.

A long term tread in the gaming industry is for sales to consolidate around a handful of bigger titles instead of having more modest sales spread out across more titles; the "rich getting richer", so to speak. There's also that gaming as a whole has grown trememdously in that time, so if the total potential audience has decreased the actual audience has grown.

What I believe a lot of adult Pokemon fans and armchair analysts don't think about regarding Pokemon is just what you said. The series has maintained this level of popularity for this long because they keep making new fans of children with every generation.

When people say Pokemon games release too often, they are forgetting that while 2-3 years is a short time for an adult, it's a very long time for a child. The Pokemon Company maintains this frantic release schedule because they know that if kids are not exposed to the mania of a new Pokemon generation while they are at a certain age (~10-12 years) then the risk is they will miss out on making those kids into Pokemon fans.
That’s true. When I was in elementary and middle school, the wait between RSE and DPPt felt like an eternity.

i honestly can’t believe people thought the memes would work against it.

Like, its pokemon not saints row. This will be the third game they release in a 12 month span that will sell over 15m copies within a year

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo started endorsing the memes. It seems they've done nothing but help the game.

Absolutely insane that it already demolished Splatoon 3's opening record in Japan. Biggest Nintendo launch of all time and it isn't even close to the #2.

Impossible to even tell what the most popular game IP is in Japan right now. It's a 3 way tie between Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Pokémon all setting ridiculous new records.

Who gonna achievement the 500 million barrier of games sold?
Call of Duty or Pokémon?
Last I know is 440 (Pokémon) vs 425 (Call of Duty).

Excuse me? I posted the question then updated my post once I saw the Benji-Sales tweets and updated my post by adding his tweets and adding Edit down below.

Easy on the miss-informed judging, and that goes for you as well ILikeFeet, this isn't Resetera, so knock it off.

Their commenting on how crazy the responses to that tweet are. That's literally harmless. Not sure what your issue is tbh.

To think 4million domestic once considered as high ceiling will only be lunch week sales is unheard of and shows switch really is a software powehouse.

There is a reason why Pokemon keep maintaining the 3 years schedule despite all the difficulties. See how crazy their sales is doing there and how they are able to keep rebuilding audience from young to old. TPC and GF is not noob on this stuff.

Also, it is kinda funny for all the talk that Japan is dead market. Nintendo in this gen alone had break the sales record 3 times and thats with smaller userbase vs DS era. Maybe, if company actually target the japanese market they will be reap the benefit.

Their commenting on how crazy the responses to that tweet are. That's literally harmless. Not sure what your issue is tbh.

Aww crap, you're correct! I'm medicated due to a lung infection and misread their replies. RDragon and ILikeFeet, I apologize, I'll edit my post asap.

Just incredible. Obviously the game is a technical mess but the core strength of Pokémon plus an open world is clearly appealing enough to overcome that.

4M in Japan in 3 days is just absurd…

Just incredible. Obviously the game is a technical mess but the core strength of Pokémon plus an open world is clearly appealing enough to overcome that.

4M in Japan in 3 days is just absurd…

I remember one quote my friend said on this game:

He is far more happy to get an ambitious evolution of game like S/V despite all the performance problem. Rather than a very competently made game but staying on the lane of Sw/Sh which mean not as ambitious.

He would certainly love to get both there but if he must choose, S/V is what he wanted. And based on the sales. It seems his take is the correct one it seems.

This kinda remind me of how Skyrim become such big hits as well. Its release on PS is one of the buggiest and jankiest product from Bethesda due to how huge the game is.
But because the core game design is soo strong. In the end, it almost don't matter for the players.

i honestly can’t believe people thought the memes would work against it
Yeah, on videos and tweets about the glitches, there are a lot of comments on how the poor technical performance of S/V would hurt its sales.

And now here we are. For better or worse, people really don't seem to mind the bugs. Hell, they even enjoy them.

Yeah, on videos and tweets about the glitches, there are a lot of comments on how the poor technical performance of S/V would hurt its sales.

And now here we are. For better or worse, people really don't seem to mind the bugs. Hell, they even enjoy them.

Isn't the bugs mostly happen on multiplayer front? If that indeed happen mostly on multiplayer it will just be fun stuff for friends because rather than getting angry, the group of players will laugh at each other for all the funny stuff that happen.

While on Single player, the performance indeed tanks but it is still playable and many sees it as the most wanted evolution of pokemon series in such long time. So it is indeed, the Skyrim of Pokemon.

To think it is GF who become bethesda like before monolith soft lol.

Like, there are no words. This is an astounding level of sales.

The core design in this game is brilliant. I have MANY strong objections to the state the game was released in, but holy hell, the core game is SO good.

Ultimately this is what happens when the Switch is so dominant (Japan especially) but also other publishers have abandoned the younger demographic completely. It’ll hit a top bar eventually but I don’t see any reason not to think it will continue to grow as a series for many years to come.

It's hard to process this kind of insane sales and then look at other threads where people are arguing the Switch is on it's last legs and needs a successor asap.
The gaming enthusiasts are always disconnected from the mainstream market.

In the name of being fair and balanced, the game really is a technical mess. All of the money from the sales really should go into modernizing their team and development process.

Imagine being so upset by the phenomenal, record breaking sales of a video game that you try to steer the conversation into toxicity by posting a video that has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion lol

And then have the nerve to use the term "fair and balanced"

Imagine being so upset by the phenomenal, record breaking sales of a video game that you try to steer the conversation into toxicity by posting a video that has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion lol
Is this you?
Redditors continue to screech endlessly into the void while the rest of the world enjoys a video game lol
To me dismissing actual huge problems with the game while bringing up cross-site drama for no reason seems like what's actually toxic

And then have the nerve to use the term "fair and balanced"
I'm not upset. I'm optimistic for the success for the reason I stated. You do not need to attack other members to defend this game.

3-days ban | Hostile behaviour against other users, thread derail, gratuitous reference to another community
I'm not attacking the game. The money from the sales will help the people making the game which will hopefully help the people playing the game.
Again this is not the thread for those discussions. This is a SALES thread. Not a thread for your specific agenda.

Forgive me if I'm less than optimistic about the games getting significant reinvestment. If it hasn't happened by now I see no reason to believe that will change any time soon.
I disagree. Let's Get was basically flawless. Sun and Moon had issues iirc. The more ambitious games tend to suffer. Some of the more ambitious DS games had issues too but don't remember hearing anything bad about XY. It seems to ebb and flow. Also in the video Arceus runs quite good and looks good to boot and that was just this year.

Back
Top Bottom