PocketPair, Sony Music, & Aniplex Establish Palworld Entertainment

ILikeFeet

Enthusiast
ANNOUNCEMENT #1Pocketpair is excited to announce a joint venture company with Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. and Aniplex, Inc., to establish Palworld Entertainment, Inc., for the purpose of accelerating the multifaceted global development of Palworld and its further expansion!

website

sounds like a hefty investment will be coming from Sony Music/Aniplex. cartoon coming soon?

Genuinely not even sure how to react to this. It feels overly ambitious. Also, this is The Pokemon Company structure. 3 companies come together to form a new branch dedicated to managing and licensing of a single brand.

don't know if I'd call Palworld a flash in the pan just yet now that the recent update gave the game some life. future updates made with the new influx of money could sustain good numbers

how Palworld will handle life in the non-gaming world is up in the air. I assume Aniplex already has plans to put out a cartoon or something. though with a new merchandising angle, I can see all the original slavery stuff being buried

Cool, honestly. We need someone to throw some spice in the industry and give us something to talk about. Nintendo parallels are obvious, but Nintendo is a company that should be emulated more often than it currently is.

though with a new merchandising angle, I can see all the original slavery stuff being buried
Burying the darker parts in your original outing is such a Pokémon thing that it thematically fits in the Palworld saga.

Merchandise I can see pretty easily, though I'm guessing the pals won't be allowed to hold guns in Japan?

As for an anime.... I'm not really sure how that'd work or what it would be about? There's not a real story in Palworld as of now and battles are less actual battles and more of just the player shooting pals with guns and using their own pals as a distraction. I guess they could possibly go with a Yokai Watch like spin on it and make it a slice of life where they focus on the pals building aspect?

They made a killing do I guess they need to spend the money on something.

But I feel like palword hype already collapsed so how much demand will there actually be?

On the merchandise side, I don't see it doing well at all. A lot of them are gonna end up looking like bootleg off brand Pokemon plushies to your casual consumers.

Staying power will be the key, considering anything substantial is sometime away. As long as they dont pull a Yokai Watch with oversaturation though.

My first and only reaction to this ist 'Good Luck'.

Don't see people investing in a knock off brand when the original exists and is still present but you never know with the market.

Doing all kind of business moves when the OG game is still not final, has lost a ton of players and runs like ass on Xbox is a bit weird to me but they probably have a plan.

Isn't Aniplex already a direct subsidiary of Sony Music Japan? They're more integrated compared to something like Sony Music and SIE, which basically functions like two different companies, no? So it feels weird they're listing them separately as part of this joint venture. Makes it feel like an inorganic attempt to replicate the Pokemon Company's three-way structure when it could've been a two-way joint venture just fine.

Next they'll make a Palworld anime that airs at the exact same timeslot as the Pokemon anime.

Honestly not sure what to expect about this, tbh. Feels like a rather elaborate attempt at cashing in on the Palworld IP, and not sure this is going to have any lasting power (guess that would depend on how the game fares in the long-run).

Also, this is The Pokemon Company structure. 3 companies come together to form a new branch dedicated to managing and licensing of a single brand.
Hmm, not quite as TPC is also involved in the production of games, which doesn't seem to be the case of Palworld Entertainment as PocketPair are retaining all VG-related rights. Also, TPC was formed by companies already involved in Pokémon series, whereas here it's just Sony (Music) wanting a slice of the juicy Palworld pie.

My first and only reaction to this ist 'Good Luck'.

Don't see people investing in a knock off brand when the original exists and is still present but you never know with the market.

Doing all kind of business moves when the OG game is still not final, has lost a ton of players and runs like ass on Xbox is a bit weird to me but they probably have a plan.
The game has a big decline compared to its peak days but it's still doing fine considering it's not a GAAS game. Releasing the Playstation version that was hinted some weeks ago will give it an injection but people must understand that this was never a gaas game and even when it leaves the ''early access'' phase it will still have a ''ceiling''.

First game was made with $10m budget and still in early access. I would give them couple of years to get back on track with much higher budget. CCU is still ~100k after 5 months which is huge for paid game IMO.

Merchandise I can see pretty easily, though I'm guessing the pals won't be allowed to hold guns in Japan?

As for an anime.... I'm not really sure how that'd work or what it would be about? There's not a real story in Palworld as of now and battles are less actual battles and more of just the player shooting pals with guns and using their own pals as a distraction. I guess they could possibly go with a Yokai Watch like spin on it and make it a slice of life where they focus on the pals building aspect?

A show can just invent its own stuff, the lack of story won't be an issue. Making it interesting and getting people to watch it is the bigger problem. Pokemon is targetted at children but appeals to all ages, Palworld is not really that...

The game has a big decline compared to its peak days but it's still doing fine considering it's not a GAAS game.
Is it? We are talking about a decline in less than a year....
You don't build media empires in a day....

Making it interesting and getting people to watch it is the bigger problem.
That is the question because it would seem to me that Palworld would have a limited demographic, I could be wrong but that what it seems like to me.

Is it? We are talking about a decline in less than a year....
You don't build media empires in a day....

That is the question because it would seem to me that Palworld would have a limited demographic, I could be wrong but that what it seems like to me.

Building media empires is not easy. Many has come and failed to make a dent.

I think for Palworld now their goal is to target Youkai Watch level of hits first then we talk. (In terms of bringing the level of income on both merch and games)

It is insane to put the goal for Palworld immediately toward Pokemon because we know what happen to all the fabled Pokemon killer.

Building media empires is not easy. Many has come and failed to make a dent.
That too, what is important now is that what ever comes out of Palworld Entertainment is good enough to make a mark.
I am still unsure about that.
I think for Palworld now their goal is to target Youkai Watch level of hits first then we talk. (In terms of bringing the level of income on both merch and games)
That is a big if and honestly even if they make it, that is what? 10 years before it goes dormant? Because that is what Youkai Watch has managed to accomplish.
It is insane to put the goal for Palworld immediately toward Pokemon because we know what happen to all the fabled Pokemon killer.
That already seems to set expectations rather high. I am not saying that it's impossible but it already sets a benchmark that Palworld is going to have to attempt.
SMGJ seems to think that they have something but again, it's been less than a year since the game hit the market. That said it is noted that SMGJ is rather notorious for moving swiftly when they should not.

I still feel like Palworld lacks something to make a proper market penetration. They should at least release on more devices like Switch or mobile.

Palworld's biggest market was people in China and United States. They need to make sure they can get merch to the areas that enjoy the game as well as porting the game to mobile and switch. So they can grow their audience.

And so it begins...

✨Palworld Entertainment's first merchandise✨

Cattiva, Chillet and Depresso plush are now available!🔥
Now accepting orders at USA animate ONLINE SHOP!
⚠️Limited stock available - Sales will end when the maximum number is reached.

Something I just realized: Aniplex and Sony Music are both actively involved with the Pokemon anime on the music and rental DVD distribution and have been since late Best Wishes (roughly 2011-12). In fact, Sony Music is explicitly listed in the anime's credits for the production aspect of music (and often employing in music artists under their labels, nowadays, for the anime). How would this affect their relationship with the partners on Pokemon, given it sounded like The Pokemon Company was investigating the situation with PalWorld? Almost makes me wonder if writing was on the wall for Sony Music/Aniplex on the anime side of things, but I can only speculate (and we did lose King Record in the past, so there's precedence for partners leaving the series).

Something I just realized: Aniplex and Sony Music are both actively involved with the Pokemon anime on the music and rental DVD distribution and have been since late Best Wishes (roughly 2011-12). In fact, Sony Music is explicitly listed in the anime's credits for the production aspect of music (and often employing in music artists under their labels, nowadays, for the anime). How would this affect their relationship with the partners on Pokemon, given it sounded like The Pokemon Company was investigating the situation with PalWorld? Almost makes me wonder if writing was on the wall for Sony Music/Aniplex on the anime side of things, but I can only speculate (and we did lose King Record in the past, so there's precedence for partners leaving the series).
nothing will happen

if anything, I think PocketPair's recent comments about not using AI was spurred by the Sony duo to properly sweep up any lingering messes so this doesn't become a problem. but if it does, they're gonna quickly make amends with TPC and leave PP to the wolves

I still think TPC doesnt see much of an issue (or not a big enough issue to really take legal action) with Palworld. They did make a statement saying that they were investigating, but I feel as if that's a response to them getting flooded with inquiries about Palworld.

In other words, I think it'll be fine.

nothing will happen

if anything, I think PocketPair's recent comments about not using AI was spurred by the Sony duo to properly sweep up any lingering messes so this doesn't become a problem. but if it does, they're gonna quickly make amends with TPC and leave PP to the wolves

Also Aniplex is mostly doing their merchandising no? That means if there is case build by TPC for future. Then PP will just settle the case and Aniplex will sit on the side till the case is over.

These look terrible...
Dunno, those look fine to me (someone who's not familiar with the monsters themselves).

But yeah, those monsters really look like fake Pokémon. A time traveller could blow people's mind by making a fake new Pokémon leak using those 😅

The tweet implied that when the initial stock is sold that the sale of these would end.

I think the thing to watch is how long does it take them to sell out (if they do at all)

That'll be the real judge of demand and success more than twitter likes

Aniplex and Sony Music are both actively involved with the Pokemon anime on the music and rental DVD distribution and have been since late Best Wishes (roughly 2011-12). In fact, Sony Music is explicitly listed in the anime's credits for the production aspect of music (and often employing in music artists under their labels, nowadays, for the anime). How would this affect their relationship with the partners on Pokemon, given it sounded like The Pokemon Company was investigating the situation with PalWorld?
The structure of Sony Group is what saves this from being a problem since SMG is quite the separate entity with quite a bit of anatomy. If there are issues that rise from Palword, SMG is basically free to do as it wishes and will likely keep productions separate. The establishment of Palworld Entertainment, Inc basically insures that, which is rather simlar to TPC structure and ownership.

That said, only lawyers get involved... things will get hard.

The tweet implied that when the initial stock is sold that the sale of these would end.

I think the thing to watch is how long does it take them to sell out (if they do at all)

That'll be the real judge of demand and success more than twitter likes

To sell merchandise it is not easy. We see that with many other monster catching IP like Digimon, Monster Rancher, Fossil Fighter, Monster Hunter Stories, Ni No Kuni, Medarot, etc.

Selling those merchandise is not easy at all. Especially if u don't keep pushing the IP to the mind of fans.

Youkai for it to be such break out require combination of big anime hit as well as Game growing into giant in Japan.

Dragon Quest required years to establish itself into the current monstrous IP in merchandising as well in japan.

So unless, Aniplex is serious in growing this IP like their own IP.(Invizmals success in Europe anyone remember?) I think the merchandise hit will be quite limited.

Back
Top Bottom