• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PlayStation Plus becomes a three-tier sub service starting from June: merging with PS Now, PS1/PS2/PSP games as native and PS3 via cloud and more

I’m sure they get some benefit with whatever Sony is peddling. Often nowadays it is smaller developers that Sony are throwing under the bus. But even then the whole crossplay saga showed they didn’t really care and still don’t really with what we learned from the Epic v Apple case.

Do you think if Nintendo or MST tried some of the things Sony has been doing recently 3rd parties wouldn’t speak up about it.
Publishers can use their power.
You don't need Playstation as a platform anymore to survive.
Mobile, Switch, Xbox and PC is a lot of the market already.

At some point it might be to much in aggregate.

I don’t really understand the basis for this view that major publishers like T2, EA, and Activision are just happy to do whatever Sony tells them to do for not direct benefit to them.

Well it depends and they often talk to each other for deals. Playstation is by far the market leader, often the biggest platform for these third parties. They aren't going to get themselves kicked from the platform, instantly tanking their revenue by 20-50%.

No single platform is needed to survive but no company with public shareholders is not going to abandon the biggest platform and tank their revenue by 20-50%.
  • Playstation was 50% of Fortnites revenue
  • 37% of Ubisofts console revenue (next biggest is PC with 20%)

I mean publishers are already using their power and dealing with whatever nonsense Sony has consistently thrown their way. Take the cross-play fiasco for example from not having it to getting the privilege of being put into beta to us learning companies having to pay a tithe to Sony for lost sales. Throughout all of this publishers seem to be fine. Suffice to say they aren’t gonna drop Sony and the other options they would in no way even consider outside Xbox, even then.

I’m sure they get some benefit with whatever Sony is peddling. Often nowadays it is smaller developers that Sony are throwing under the bus. But even then the whole crossplay saga showed they didn’t really care and still don’t really with what we learned from the Epic v Apple case.

Do you think if Nintendo or MST tried some of the things Sony has been doing recently 3rd parties wouldn’t speak up about it.
I don’t think that’s really the case. There’s the case where Borderlands 3 didn’t have cross play with PS platforms because 2K allegedly wouldn’t pay their tithe to make it happen. So it seems like they did/do care, and it was reflected in 2K putting their foot down and standing their ground until 2K and SIE could come to an arrangement that was more favourable to 2K.

Well it depends and they often talk to each other for deals. Playstation is by far the market leader, often the biggest platform for these third parties. They aren't going to get themselves kicked from the platform, instantly tanking their revenue by 20-50%.

No single platform is needed to survive but no company with public shareholders is not going to abandon the biggest platform and tank their revenue by 20-50%.
  • Playstation was 50% of Fortnites revenue
  • 37% of Ubisofts console revenue (next biggest is PC with 20%)

It’s a two way street, and Sony would be much worse off without T2, EA, and Activision than those companies would be without Sony. I think Sony has enough market power to negotiate with those publishers and come to an agreement amenable to all, but they don’t have so much power that they can flat out dictate terms and ask for free content for a subscription service.

It’s a two way street, and Sony would be much worse off without T2, EA, and Activision than those companies would be without Sony. I think Sony has enough market power to negotiate with those publishers and come to an agreement amenable to all, but they don’t have so much power that they can flat out dictate terms and ask for free content for a subscription service.

From the EU commission report, the largest pubs have a marketshare of 10-15%, and that's including PC iirc. Meanwhile Sony has a 20-50% of revenue from many of these pubs. To put it simply Sony has far more leverage over any individual pub than any individual pub has over Playstation.

Now if they grouped up that would change and its also in Sony's best interest to please them as Playstation's record growth depends on having the largest third party ecosystem. Guess we will have to see if pubs are okay with this or not.

So it seems like I can't even renew my PS Plus that expires in May right now. Not using a prepaid card either. I get an error just hitting renew right on my PS5.

That's right. My point being that now publishers could consider this for the first time ever.
During the PS4 era, Nintendo was non existent and Xbox not very competitive. The PC platform was also way smaller.
Similar for the PS3 era. Nintendo and Xbox were stronger, but PC was super small outside of PC only games and Mobile didn't exist.

And Playstation as a platform losing marketshare compared to the overall gaming market will just keep growing thanks to the supply issues and competition from 5 different angles (Nintendo, Xbox, PC, Mobile and newcomers like Twitch and Netflix - Google faild, tho)

Sony is releasing on PC and went into streaming to adapt to this change.

Last edited:
So for those wondering people were having issues with their PS+ cards among other forms of payment for renewal. Here is the article on it.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...re-paid-ps-plus-cards-stop-working-on-ps5-ps4
Here is Sony’s response a full 2 days after people were having issues and being silent. Not this is just the updated page and not them directly answering the question.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/
I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it before the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
  • If you are not a current member of the service the voucher is for, you can redeem your voucher using PS4, PS5, Web and Mobile App. Click here for instructions. If you join PlayStation Plus and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will transition into PlayStation Plus Essential. If you join PlayStation Now and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will automatically migrate to the PlayStation Plus Premium.
  • If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won't be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid. See next question for further information.
I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it after the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
If you do not have an active membership:

• The PlayStation Plus voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Essential for the length of time denoted on your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to one month of PlayStation Plus Essential.
  • The PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Premium for the length of time equivalent to the monetary value of your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Now voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart herefor details.
If you are an existing customer:

• The PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will be converted to a length of time on your current PlayStation Plus membership plan equivalent to the monetary value of the voucher you are redeeming. For example, a 1-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Extra or approximately 2.5 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
So yeah it’s blocked and don’t bother clicking the conversion chart because you’ll get a 404 error.

Update for those who may care

I'm glad Sony are sticking to the platform model and treating a all you can eat sub service like an add-on rather than the entire thing.

All you can eats sub services tend to be a race to the bottom even in markets where the content is a fraction of the cost of what it takes to make a AAA videogame. Honestly, until we get detailed financial data on Gamepass, its revenue, its losses, its retention, its revenue by content type, how it calculates dev payouts, its hardly a safe bet to bet the entire ecosystem on.

The initial line up of games for the new PlayStation Plus service has been revealed in a blog post here.

The classic games catalog is still locked to the highest subscription tier, but players who have previously purchased select PlayStation 1 and PSP games will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. Some of the classic titles will also be available for individual purchase.

To get a quick look through the games available on different PS+ tiers without reading the blog post see

Just catching up. After seeing the lists....

• The Extra tier is very strong IMO. One of PS Now's failings was that there were so many 1st party games (not talking about recently released stuff) that wasn't on the list. It seems like pretty much every first party PS4 game that has been released in 2020 or earlier is on this tier.
    • Side note on that point, the fact that Dreams and TLOU 2 isn't included tells me a PS5 port is coming some time in the next ~12 months.
  • The Ubisoft stuff is a nice addition. Hopefully they will be a continuous supporter of the service.
  • The Premium tier lineup is a bit of a let down. No new PS2 games and the PS1 line up isn't super exciting. I'm sure that there are more games coming to launch, but it feels like there is so much untapped potential here.
  • Sony allowing us to keep our PS1 classics is a huge win IMO. That is nice to see.
  • I'll definitely do the Tiny Tina Wonderland trial.
Basically, Sony did a great job selling the Extra tier, not so much the Premium tier. Hopefully in four weeks time, we get more surprises.

The initial line up of games for the new PlayStation Plus service has been revealed in a blog post here.

The classic games catalog is still locked to the highest subscription tier, but players who have previously purchased select PlayStation 1 and PSP games will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. Some of the classic titles will also be available for individual purchase.

To get a quick look through the games available on different PS+ tiers without reading the blog post see

This is a very good selection of PS4 and PS5 games, I think there is a lot of value to get out of that tier. The addition of Ubisoft+ is also nice and should add even more value. Also the fact the Gamepass has EA play and PS Plus has Ubisoft+ is interesting, these smaller subscription services really can't seem to stand on their own. I will say though that the marketing for this service has been underwhelming to me. The fact they are still only showing a selection of retro games with so little information about them is weird, I'm not sure why they are holding off on showing it off unless they don't have much to show for retro releases. Carrying people's previous purchases over is nice though.

Last edited:

I feel sorry for whoever they manage to trick into the most expensive tier with those slim pickings.

Apparently the list of classic PS1/PSP games is just a selection of titles that will launch on the service, but it's not exactly the most compelling selection.

Just catching up. After seeing the lists....

• The Extra tier is very strong IMO. One of PS Now's failings was that there were so many 1st party games (not talking about recently released stuff) that wasn't on the list. It seems like pretty much every first party PS4 game that has been released in 2020 or earlier is on this tier.
    • Side note on that point, the fact that Dreams and TLOU 2 isn't included tells me a PS5 port is coming some time in the next ~12 months.
  • The Ubisoft stuff is a nice addition. Hopefully they will be a continuous supporter of the service.
  • The Premium tier lineup is a bit of a let down. No new PS2 games and the PS1 line up isn't super exciting. I'm sure that there are more games coming to launch, but it feels like there is so much untapped potential here.
  • Sony allowing us to keep our PS1 classics is a huge win IMO. That is nice to see.
  • I'll definitely do the Tiny Tina Wonderland trial.
Basically, Sony did a great job selling the Extra tier, not so much the Premium tier. Hopefully in four weeks time, we get more surprises.
This is a very good selection of PS4 and PS5 games, I think there is a lot of value to get out of that tier. The addition of Ubisoft+ is also nice and should add even more value. Also the fact the Gamepass has EA play and PS Plus has Ubisoft+ is interesting, these smaller subscription services really can't seem to stand on their own. I will say though that the marketing for this service has been underwhelming to me. The fact they are still only showing a selection of retro games with so little information about them is weird, I'm not sure why they are holding off on showing it off unless they don't have much to show for retro releases. Carrying people's previous purchases over is nice though.

I feel sorry for whoever they manage to trick into the most expensive tier with those slim pickings.

Apparently the list of classic PS1/PSP games is just a selection of titles that will launch on the service, but it's not exactly the most compelling selection.
But it is not the full list yet

Saw some folk complaining but really not sure how much more Sony can offer - strong support for first party games and if that continues I think this will drive people into picking up two consoles further down the line if they are mostly on Xbox once the barrier of entry is reduced.

The classic stuff will continue to grow. Better to launch and steadily release more than to hold off launch altogether.

As far as the lineup it's pretty much what I expected and sorta proves why the merger of these services were needed. Nearly every PS4 game listed today with the exception of GOT, Everybody's Golf and some Ubisoft+ stuff have been offered in some way either as PS+ games/PS5 instant collection or PS NOW (some like God of War was limited and rotated out) and a lot of people simply won't notice, since they didn't pay attention (or even know) of PS Now.

It's great they're filling the service up with 1st party titles of course but I'm wondering if it's a bit of a too little too late for some 3rd party deals? Is stuff like Danganronpa and Scarlet Nexus off the table due to gamepass deals and similar situations. Probably too early to tell since we need the full lineup but it'll be interesting to see in the coming months.

• Marvel’s Spider-Man | Insomniac Games, PS4
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Insomniac Games, PS4/PS5
I don't understand this part. I haven't bought the Spider-Man games yet so they were a big reason to subscribe for a month (and maybe stay subscribed) but since it's not the Remastered version I'll have to buy it anyway and that's one reason less to test the service.

PS1/PSP Classics making NSO look good. What a misfire so far.

PS2 Classics are a solid lineup but it needs to move beyond what was already available on PS4. Honestly, Sony should maybe also consider licensing 3rd party platforms (MD, PCE, NeoGeo, etc).

I don't understand this part. I haven't bought the Spider-Man games yet so they were a big reason to subscribe for a month (and maybe stay subscribed) but since it's not the Remastered version I'll have to buy it anyway and that's one reason less to test the service.

Not gonna lie, the way that Sony has handled the remastered version of Spider-Man 1 is one of the most puzzling decisions I have seen them make.

I'm..seriously confused by the classics list. Are they really pushing certain remastered PS3 games on PS4 into the highest tier instead of just having them in the Extra tier.....really?

Sony: You'll just get 50 hz versions of PS1 games, and you'll like it.
Nintendo: You can choose 50 or 60 hz versions of N64 games.

EDIT: Tekken 2 is NTSC. Yay for Bandai Namco doing what Sony didn't

Last edited:

Sony: You'll just get 50 hz versions of PS1 games, and you'll like it.
Nintendo: You can choose 50 or 60 hz versions of N64 games.

EDIT: Tekken 2 is NTSC. Yay for Bandai Namco doing what Sony didn't

Of course it is Twatter and the race to be most outraged about something...

But I seriously doubt that WildArms will suffer from being in 50Hz.
In fact, considering PAL PS1 games run at 576 instead of the 480 for NTSC
it might even be so that it is objectively better being shipped in PAL instead of NTSC.

Of course it is Twatter and the race to be most outraged about something...

But I seriously doubt that WildArms will suffer from being in 50Hz.
In fact, considering PAL PS1 games run at 576 instead of the 480 for NTSC
it might even be so that it is objectively better being shipped in PAL instead of NTSC.

Considering how modern TVs upscale, the PAL resolution being slightly higher probably isn't as meaningful as PAL Roms being slower than what the game was intended for. These games were often made in 60Hz and if they ran in 30fps for NTSC, it would be 25fps for PAL, and PAL versions were rarely optimized for the slower gameplay.

Considering how modern TVs upscale, the PAL resolution being slightly higher probably isn't as meaningful as PAL Roms being slower than what the game was intended for. These games were often made in 60Hz and if they ran in 30fps for NTSC, it would be 25fps for PAL, and PAL versions were rarely optimized for the slower gameplay.
More pixels is more pixels.
Anyway, WildArms is an old turn based JRPG (think FinalFantasy 4). It would be perfectly fine to play WildArms even if it ran at one frame per second. Framerate is meaningless for games like WildArms.

Anyway, WildArms is an old turn based JRPG (think FinalFantasy 4). It would be perfectly fine to play WildArms even if it ran at one frame per second. Framerate is meaningless for games like WildArms.
The issue isn’t framerate being 25/50fps but that most PAL versions of this games didn’t take into account the lower framerate, and due to most games of this time being tied for framerate speed wise the PAL version are slower than what the game should be because developers didn’t adjust for it or wasn’t possible. A game running slower affects all games even turn based ones

You're right that PAL wouldn't hurt Wild Arms much. Also I saw a few people on Twitter confirm that Mr. Driller is NTSC so it might just be Sony 1st Party games with the PAL versions issue. (I've also seen people say Syphon Filter is NTSC).

You're right that PAL wouldn't hurt Wild Arms much. Also I saw a few people on Twitter confirm that Mr. Driller is NTSC so it might just be Sony 1st Party games with the PAL versions issue. (I've also seen people say Syphon Filter is NTSC).
I read that Tekken is NTSC too.
Maybe SONY just picked the 60hz/480i NTSC version for those games where a higher framerate is objectively better than high resolution
and picked 50hz/576i PAL for the type of games where a higher resolution is objectively better than high framerate ?

Still it is really super funny to watch people on twitter being super angry that WildArms is not 60hz, as if it would matter. :)

I read that Tekken is NTSC too.
Maybe SONY just picked the 60hz/480i NTSC version for those games where a higher framerate is objectively better than high resolution
and picked 50hz/576i PAL for the type of games where a higher resolution is objectively better than high framerate ?

Still it is really super funny to watch people on twitter being super angry that WildArms is not 60hz, as if it would matter. :)
They could make it an option and let everyone choose the version they prefer, which is what Nintendo does, instead of forcing a specific version onto people when it's very clear how unpopular the PAL versions are.

They might have reversed it after a day.

Even less than a day. And backslash didn't even happened. LOL Didn't saw that some big sites picked it this "error pricing". I believe it was an error or bug

Even less than a day. And backslash didn't even happened. LOL Didn't saw that some big sites picked it this "error pricing". I believe it was an error or bug
It's too deliberate and awkward to be an error imo.

You have to code it more specifically to pick up the cost of each individual subscription period purchased already.

It's too deliberate and awkward to be an error imo.

You have to code it more specifically to pick up the cost of each individual subscription period purchased already.

Then it would took it more than a day since Sony can be really slow to fix some things if it is the cost of each individual

Then it would took it more than a day since Sony can be really slow to fix some things if it is the cost of each individual
Not always.

By the way individual subscriptions period not user is what i mean?

Simple calculation

(days left/365)*(price of new tier - price of ps+)

Complex calculation

Sum of (days left in subscription period/365)*(price of new tier - price of individual subscription period paid)

It's relevant simple to do both, but one does take a bit more thinking about.

Not always.

By the way individual subscriptions period not user is what i mean?

Simple calculation

(days left/365)*(price of new tier - price of ps+)

Complex calculation

Sum of (days left in subscription period/365)*(price of new tier - price of individual subscription period paid)

It's relevant simple to do both, but one does take a bit more thinking about.

I believe it was a bug because it didn't affected the whole PSN ( of course, it is launched just in Asia few days ago ). Also ( since you are on GAF too ), i saw the same examples on reddit as this guy :

Thank you to Era user Kanji Master for this update.
The screenshot is from a Chinese gaming news site VGtime, I know this user who posted the screenshot and got his approval for using it.
Here is the source: 星術, VGtime游戏时光.

Google translate plus minor wording:

Thanks for contacting PlayStation Support.

About your inquiry about PlayStation Plus membership subscription price, thank you for your support. Since you purchased the PlayStation Plus membership at a discounted price at that time, after this new PlayStation Plus membership is launched and there are two PlavStation Plus memberships that cannot enjoy other discounts:

1. PlayStation Plus membership bought with a discount.
2. PlayStation Plus membership redeemed with redemption code.

Therefore, if you need to upgrade to the second or third tier of premium membership, you need to make up for the difference in the previous discounted price first to return to the normal price. For example: the one-year PlayStation Plus membership was HK$308, the discount price was HK$187.6, and the difference was 120.4 X the number of remaining months, please rest assured, if you need to upgrade, the system will automatically calculate the amount that needs to be paid back for the difference.

Of course, you can also choose to upgrade or downgrade the membership service according to your own preferences. If you do not upgrade, the PlayStation Plus membership service you are currently using will not be affected. Game discounts, monthly free games and the usage rights of 100GB of online storage space remain unchanged, please rest assured.

Finally, we have recorded and dealt with your valuable comments, thank you for your support.

I hope this helps. But if you have any other questions, please contact PlayStation Support and a support person on our team will be happy to assist you.

PlayStation support team

9-CE5-DA06-48-B5-4-D83-B786-C6-DD52356984.jpg

Back
Top Bottom