• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Persona 5 Royal has sold 3.3 million [1M coming from the recent ports], Persona series over 16 million

Astrogamer

Enthusiast

Atlus has announced that the new version of Persona 5 Royal has sold over 1 million units. When combined with the PS4 version, it has sold 3.3 million units. The Persona 5 series has sold 8.3 million and the Persona series as a whole has sold 16.8 million units

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlus: "So what you are telling me with these numbers is that...we should make P6 Ps5 exclusive right?"
They should announce a PS5-exclusive Persona 6 the day the P5R ports reach 2 million just to piss even more people off. They should hold another concert just to celebrate the sales and praise Steam/Xbox/Switch's platform strength while announcing an exclusive P6 at the end. Imagine the whiplash and anger.

Very curious to know how many people played this on Game Pass (or will, over the next few months).

Atlus: "So what you are telling me with these numbers is that...we should make P6 Ps5 exclusive right?"

How else will they be able to make people buy the same game 3 times?

Depends on if Sony pays for it

P5 sold the most on PS platform, it is not even a contest. 2/3 of sold copies is just a PS4 alone, 1 million is Steam, Switch, Xbox, PS5. As data proves it. Don't be surprised if P6 is PS exclusive.

It's incredible how sure some people are that the series will be exclusive in the future. A year ago nobody here thought we would ever get these games on other platforms, and yet here we are.

P5 sold the most on PS platform, it is not even a contest. 2/3 of sold copies is just a PS4 alone, 1 million is Steam, Switch, Xbox, PS5. As data proves it. Don't be surprised if P6 is PS exclusive.
Wow, a game that was PlayStation exclusive for 3 years has sold a lot more on PlayStation than other platforms? I wonder how that could possibly be...🤔

Wow, a game that was PlayStation exclusive for 6 years has sold a lot more on PlayStation than other platforms? I wonder how that could possibly be...🤔

And? It is thread about sales, isn't it. How long it was exclusive to one platform is irrelevant. You expecting that next sequel will be a multiplatform because it sold 1 million across....4 platforms. :/

And? It is thread about sales, isn't it. How long it was exclusive to one platform is irrelevant. You expecting that next sequel will be a multiplatform because it sold 1 million across....4 platforms. :/

Octopath Traveler sold about ~2.5m on Switch alone and 500k across PC, Xbox and Stadia, with 0 copies sold on PlayStation. The sequel is Switch/PS/PC.

If Persona 6 is exclusive it's not because the late ports "only" sold a million copies in a month.

No, I never said said that.

Octopath Traveler sold about ~2.5m on Switch alone and 500k across PC, Xbox and Stadia, with 0 copies sold on PlayStation. The sequel is Switch/PS/PC.

Looks like Octopath Traveler wasn't played enough nor sold enough on Xbox if sequel avoided that platform.

It has been said many times that the only way P6 is PS exclusive (at launch) is Sony paying big amount of money for temporary exclusivity and how P-Studio operates.

That it will be difficult to happen and big amount of sales on Switch and PC will be lost is given. A full priced late port selling so much comparing to the original release is extra headache for Atlus/Sega if they have this plan.

Atlus' platform selection is fucking stupid so I could see Persona 6 being PS exclusive (money hatted of course).

How long it was exclusive to one platform is entirely relevant. On what planet should a port several years late outsell the lifetime sales of a game that has been available for 3 years and do so in 30 days?

You know how dumb this sounds right? Persona 5 Royal only sold 2.3m on PS4. Boosting your ltd by 30% in 1 month is a great indication your title is platform limited.

Whatever point you're trying to make, you're not doing a good of selling it.

Last edited:
Boosting your ltd by 30% in 1 month is a great indication your title is platform limited.

Whatever point you're trying to make, you're mot doing a good of selling it.

It really depends platform split with that 1 million.

How'd it do on PS5?

I dunno. Why? P5 Royal is playable anyway on PS5 as BC for a long time. It is new to other platforms. And vast majority of 1 million sales of P5R port is on Switch, though. I'm sure Atlus didn't had any big expectations to sold a ton on PS5

It really depends platform split with that 1 million.

Unless you're assuming a significant chunk of it is from the PS5, I don't see why that would matter. The base is not high with Persona 5 Royal. It is only 2.3m. As long as none of the version lost money on the port, a 30% boost in ltd sales in 1 month is significant.

I still have no clue what you're trying to argue. I think P6 will be exclusive because Atlus' platform choices are universally dumb. The performance of these ports however only strengthen the argument that they should expand out to other platforms.

I dunno. Why? P5 Royal is playable anyway on PS5 as BC for a long time. It is new to other platforms. And vast majority of 1 million sales of P5R port is on Switch, though. I'm sure Atlus didn't had any big expectations to sold a ton on PS5
Didn't you just say P5R's previous PS4 exclusivity was irrelevant? Do you mean it's uniquely relevant for PS5 then?

Salesman has said something quite logical, obviously the game is not going to have the same impact on platforms where you have been wanting it to launch for a couple of years than on a platform where you could already play it in two versions even.
Honestly I also think that 1 million sales is not an impressive result either considering that it was a highly anticipated game on 3 of the 4 platforms on which it has been released now.
I would also not be surprised if with persona 6 they repeat the strategy of taking advantage of sony's marketing and money with a temporary exclusive and then porting it and trying to get another marketing boost and extra money that you can scratch from microsoft and Nintendo, of course they can go multiplatform day one if they think It's better choice, butIt's not neccessary calling Atlus and Sega dumb if they choose the "first on" route

Salesman has said something quite logical, obviously the game is not going to have the same impact on platforms where you have been wanting it to launch for a couple of years than on a platform where you could already play it in two versions even.
Honestly I also think that 1 million sales is not an impressive result either considering that it was a highly anticipated game on 3 of the 4 platforms on which it has been released now.
I would also not be surprised if with persona 6 they repeat the strategy of taking advantage of sony's marketing and money with a temporary exclusive and then porting it and trying to get another marketing boost and extra money that you can scratch from microsoft and Nintendo, of course they can go multiplatform day one if they think It's better choice, butIt's not neccessary calling Atlus and Sega dumb if they choose the "first on" route

Selling 43% of the lifetime sales of the original version in 30 days is impressive.

I swear I am on planet crazy. It's like context is just being abandoned. Increasing a product that has been available for 3 years' lifetime sales by 43% is massive. And in 1 month. What growth would be impressive? It isn't like the PS4 was not popular or was install base limited.

They are dumb if they make Persona 6 exclusive.

I swear, if the basic math is calculated, none of what you two are saying is supported by reality. Persona is not fucking CoD. The series is on par with Fire Emblem and only slightly more popular than Xenoblade. Tales of is basically trending at the same level now. Adding 1m units to a series that taps out around ~3m units is significant.

Last edited:
Only because it was available there first and beloved as it is, it's a port of a years old game.

I personally believe that after the success and expansion the Yakuza brand has had, Sega will suggest Atlus to keep Persona game multiplatform

I swear this is the most obvious case I’ve seen of a company willing so hard to leave money on the table for no reason.

P6 announcement is gonna be fun.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Persona's multimedia initiative is backed by Aniplex, and Sony has obviously proven that they're keen on being a major player in the international anime market. The multimedia push has also been a big part of Persona's overall growth, so I'd imagine all involved parties see the benefit to a continued timed-exclusivity partnership with PlayStation.

That said, Persona 6 should absolutely not take 6 years to show up on other platforms.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Persona's multimedia initiative is backed by Aniplex, and Sony has obviously proven that they're keen on being a major player in the international anime market. The multimedia push has also been a big part of Persona's overall growth, so I'd imagine all involved parties see the benefit to a continued timed-exclusivity partnership with PlayStation.

That said, Persona 6 should absolutely not take 6 years to show up on other platforms.
Aniplex and PlayStation have zero real accommodation or intersection with each other though. A deal with one doesn't correlate to the other.

Aniplex and PlayStation have zero real accommodation or intersection with each other though. A deal with one doesn't correlate to the other.

Sure, a deal with one doesn't necessarily equate to a deal with the other. But Sony is a multimedia company, and finding ways to synergize its different businesses and have them help one another is obviously part of its strategy.

Sure, a deal with one doesn't necessarily equate to a deal with the other. But Sony is a multimedia company, and finding ways to synergize its different businesses and have them help one another is obviously part of its strategy.
Except in practice it basically never works. The "One Sony" issue is something that's plagued them for decades and their divisions have only proven that self interest always supersedes it.

When was the last time Aniplex and PlayStation worked together directly on a 3rd party game deal?

Selling 43% of the lifetime sales of the original version in 30 days is impressive.

I swear I am on planet crazy. It's like context is just being abandoned. Increasing a product that has been available for 3 years' lifetime sales by 43% is massive. And in 1 month. What growth would be impressive? It isn't like the PS4 was not popular or was install base limited.

They are dumb if they make Persona 6 exclusive.

I swear, if the basic math is calculated, none of what you two are saying is supported by reality. Persona is not fucking CoD. The series is on par with Fire Emblem and only slightly more popular than Xenoblade. Tales of is basically trending at the same level now. Adding 1m units to a series that taps out around ~3m units is significant.
Well, the context is also that it is a very popular game that has just been released on 3 platforms in which it was highly expected and demanded, to the point that nintendo and microsoft have done promotion and the second one even tried to pass it off as a kind of exclusive port on consoles (and ps5 where a priori it shouldn't matter much because there it could already be played in its normal version or in its royal version) and still the original platform makes up more than 70% of the current sales share and that being generous and discarding the original version of persona 5 (3.2 million last figure announced ), if we include these figures the port has achieved a 16% growth and the original platform accounts for more than 85% of sales, that's maths too.

I repeat, It's a very good number for the port, of course, I just think that it is not such an extraordinary figure, and of course I consider that it is not necessary to qualify different opinions as crazy or stupid.

Except in practice it basically never works. The "One Sony" issue is something that's plagued them for decades and their divisions have only proven that self interest always supersedes it.

When was the last time Aniplex and PlayStation worked together directly on a 3rd party game deal?

But do we not think Persona is the prime example of something that has benefitted all parties due to its PlayStation/Aniplex tie-ups? Then there's also ForwardWorks and Sony/Aniplex's association with Fate. And obviously, on a more global scale there's Spider-Man, where the movies and games have been synergizing and propelling one another for years at this point.

Another example that's perhaps not quite as directly related (but still relevant) is Sony's Xperia phones. They have a tie-up with Call of Duty, much like PlayStation does. CoD Mobile comes preinstalled on every Xperia phone, and the owners of those phones get a bunch of free in-game currency.

I reckon there are around 4M Persona players on Playstation alone, 2M on others, giving the series a LTD of 6M. The entire point of exclusivity deals are to entice those 2M to buy the game on PS4/5 or buy a PS5 or vice versa.

There's also added benefit to SEGA from Sony marketing the game well like before and helping in multimedia projects etc.

Going to be interesting to see if Playstation can get both the next Nier and Persona 6 as exclusive or timed exclusive. They are both rumoured to be exclusive and Sony definitely has the majority of the fanbase in both cases.

But do we not think Persona is the prime example of something that has benefitted all parties due to its PlayStation/Aniplex tie-ups? Then there's also ForwardWorks and Sony/Aniplex's association with Fate. And obviously, on a more global scale there's Spider-Man, where the movies and games have been synergizing and propelling one another for years at this point.

Another example that's perhaps not quite as directly related (but still relevant) is Sony's Xperia phones. They have a tie-up with Call of Duty, much like PlayStation does. CoD Mobile comes preinstalled on every Xperia phone, and the owners of those phones get a bunch of free in-game currency.

Sony Pictures is a big one as well. Now with a PlayStation division, Uncharted movie and more on the way.

I think Fiendcode's point is more that Aniplex and SIE have not really worked together at any point. Aniplex in the past produced anime for series that weren't on PlayStation at the time(like Ace Attorney) and more recently has taken to publishing their own games including some not even releasing on PS platforms.

Working with Aniplex on multimedia stuff should have little to no bearing on where the games land.

I'm not sure if P5 is the prime example because I've never seen any real indication or evidence SIE and SME coordinated on that? Which given their big track record of "basically nothing else" in this area, I'm not going to draw direct connections that probably aren't there without something more to go on.

SIE's never done anything with Fate really and all the console games from Aniplex are Switch multi or lead anyway. COD mobile is Tencent rather than ABK. Aniplex scooping up Forwardworks during the Japan Studio Massacre is really the only concrete link you'll find between them and PlayStation but that has zero to do with console games either (edit: unfortunately. It'd have been amazing if Aniplex had taken on all of Japan Studio and continued console efforts there).

Last edited:
I'm not sure if P5 is the prime example because I've never seen any real indication or evidence SIE and SME coordinated on that? Which given their big track record of "basically nothing else" in this area, I'm not going to draw direct connections that probably aren't there without something more to go on.

SIE's never done anything with Fate really and all the console games from Aniplex are Switch multi or lead anyway. COD mobile is Tencent rather than ABK. Aniplex scooping up Forwardworks during the Japan Studio Massacre is really the only concrete link you'll find between them and PlayStation but that has zero to do with console games either.

I don't think we'll ever get "direct" confirmation of synergization between departments, because it could honestly be as simple as a phone call or a meeting with all the relevant stakeholders. It's such an inside baseball thing. But imagine you're among the more influential people at Sony's games and anime divisions. Wouldn't you try to bring up all the potential collaborations/benefits you could offer your partners whilst negotiating support?

Sony Pictures is a big one as well. Now with a PlayStation division, Uncharted movie and more on the way.

Yup, this too. I understand @fiendcode's point about Sony's various departments being disjointed in the past, but I do feel they've made a concerted effort to have their different businesses synergize more effectively with one another over the past few years.

I think we're going to continue to see examples of it in the future, too. Legendary Pictures recently cancelled its contract with Warner Bros. and is now partnered with Sony Pictures, which will co-finance, market, and distribute Legendary's films. You can 100% expect to see kaiju games and Dune games produced in collaboration with PlayStation in the years ahead.

not that great result tbh
smt v should be ported because its sales isn't that impressive compared to p5, series is not going to be mainstream if it is stuck on nintendo platforms

I don't think we'll ever get "direct" confirmation of synergization between departments, because it could honestly be as simple as a phone call or a meeting with all the relevant stakeholders. It's such an inside baseball thing. But imagine you're among the more influential people at Sony's games and anime divisions. Wouldn't you try to bring up all the potential collaborations/benefits you could offer your partners whilst negotiating support?
I just think arguing Aniplex as a motivation for PlayStation exclusivity isn't something you can do in good faith without an actual track record of such coordination. And frankly there just isn't one.

It's a neat idea though.

Hopefully P6 will ve multiplatform, so it can benefit from bigger budget and avoid decline, upping its sales ceileing

I expected more, after years of people asking for ports sell just that its not much, we know that the Steam version reached a peak of 31k-33k, so the sales must be close to 400k-500k.

The rest its for the Switch/PS5/Xbox versions, i think the Switch version would sell better because there is a good audience for these kinds of games in the consoles, but just 350k-450k its not that much.

Trying to frame 1m in so short period for a years old full price port of an IP associated with PlayStation as some kind of underwhelming or expected result is funny.

I expected more, after years of people asking for ports sell just that its not much, we know that the Steam version reached a peak of 31k-33k, so the sales must be close to 400k-500k.

The rest its for the Switch/PS5/Xbox versions, i think the Switch version would sell better because there is a good audience for these kinds of games in the consoles, but just 350k-450k its not that much.
PS5/Xbox sales are close to nothing based on JP, UK, US and ES splits/sales/ranks. Tbh the release would still probably be over 1m sales without them and just Switch+Steam.

While it's good nonetheless, I'm opposed to saying "P5R sold 3.3mio LTD". This doesn't take into account the, very likely, massive amount of double dippers, especially for the Switch-version, but also Steamdeck users with the PC-version. It's like adding up the numbers of Xenoblade Wii, Xenoblade 3DS and Xenoblade: Definitive Edition and saying "that's what Xenoblade 1 sold".

All in all, I'd say Persona as a whole is a 3.5mio-franchise right now.

Great result for a great ports of a great game. 1m copies sold at full price this fast while also securing that MS GamePass bag.
While it's good nonetheless, I'm opposed to saying "P5R sold 3.3mio LTD". This doesn't take into account the, very likely, massive amount of double dippers, especially for the Switch-version, but also Steamdeck users with the PC-version. It's like adding up the numbers of Xenoblade Wii, Xenoblade 3DS and Xenoblade: Definitive Edition and saying "that's what Xenoblade 1 sold".

All in all, I'd say Persona as a whole is a 3.5mio-franchise right now.
Thats very unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom