• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack Pricing and Details Unveiled

To be fair, the mainline Pokemon games don't have to be included in the app. They can make separate apps for them like the old Virtual Console format.

I wish they'd bring vouchers back in NA personally.
That'd be huge. The vouchers are the main reason why I have NSO since it's basically free online, cloud saves and great day 1 discounts if you buy at least two 60$/€ games per year.

I can see both options happening (splitting GB/GBC/GBA or putting them all into EP) but I don't think they'll include Pokémon games (except maybe Gen 1+2) since not even Pokémon Home is part of EP.

Ironically GBC/GBA have the games that will bring more people to NSO than any other available platform if they do the Pokemon games and make them Home compatible.

Well i subbed to the basic tier for games as well.

Are the base NSO numbers so high that Nintendo is not gonna improve it anymore ?

The base tier is very important to get people into the door and then potentially sell them on the Expansion Pak.

Nintendo has a lot of future systems including portables incoming for NSO down the line. GB doesn't really fit on the premium tier.

It comes down to if they feel the need to continue to add value to the basic sub.
If people want to get the expansion pack for certain games they will get the base tier with it anyways.

I frankly doubt any of the mainline Pokemon RPGs will come to NSO in any fashion. spinoffs yes (obviously)

Sad that it was pretty much all just Mario Party. I just want GameBoy games. Don't even need Pokemon included.

Ironically GBC/GBA have the games that will bring more people to NSO than any other available platform if they do the Pokemon games and make them Home compatible.

Given they put those on 3DS VC and soon you won't be able to buy those....it really would be silly to not bring those along in the near future

Kind of annoyed that they aren't adding GB/GBC/GBA yet, but at least we will be getting both Stadium games soon, even though it's not until next year. I'm also still waiting for Smash 64 to be confirmed. Based on what was shown off, I can see the upcoming release schedule for NSO games to look like this:

September 2022: Nothing
October 2022: Mario Party 1
November 2022: Pilotwings 64
December 2022: Mario Party 2
January 2022: 1080 Snowboarding
February 2022: Pokemon Stadium 1
March 2023: Mario Party 3
April 2023: Excitebike 64
May 2023: Pokemon Stadium 2

Also, I know that Harvest Moon 64 was confirmed for Japan. I could see that being June 2023. Maybe Goldeneye will also be June, though I could see that being August because that was when the original game was released. They've conveniently set themselves up for a new batch to be revealed at E3, though that was also the case earlier this year and we didn't get a new batch in June (although we also didn't get E3 in June).

Now I am definitely expecting GB, GBC AND GBA to be added in September 2023. Unfortunately, I can't see GameCube games being added, at least not until a Switch successor. At that late point in Switch's life, GB, GBC & GBA will probably be the last major systems (at least Nintendo systems) added to NSO before a successor launches. I'd be fine with that as long as main series Pokemon games are added. Hoping it would be the entirety of Gen 1 at launch, the entirety of Gen 2 early in 2024 and then RS, FRLG and then E throughout 2024 and maybe even into 2025.

Kind of annoyed that they aren't adding GB/GBC/GBA yet, but at least we will be getting both Stadium games soon, even though it's not until next year. I'm also still waiting for Smash 64 to be confirmed. Based on what was shown off, I can see the upcoming release schedule for NSO games to look like this:

September 2022: Nothing
October 2022: Mario Party 1
November 2022: Pilotwings 64
December 2022: Mario Party 2
January 2022: 1080 Snowboarding
February 2022: Pokemon Stadium 1
March 2023: Mario Party 3
April 2023: Excitebike 64
May 2023: Pokemon Stadium 2

Also, I know that Harvest Moon 64 was confirmed for Japan. I could see that being June 2023. Maybe Goldeneye will also be June, though I could see that being August because that was when the original game was released. They've conveniently set themselves up for a new batch to be revealed at E3, though that was also the case earlier this year and we didn't get a new batch in June (although we also didn't get E3 in June).

Now I am definitely expecting GB, GBC AND GBA to be added in September 2023. Unfortunately, I can't see GameCube games being added, at least not until a Switch successor. At that late point in Switch's life, GB, GBC & GBA will probably be the last major systems (at least Nintendo systems) added to NSO before a successor launches. I'd be fine with that as long as main series Pokemon games are added. Hoping it would be the entirety of Gen 1 at launch, the entirety of Gen 2 early in 2024 and then RS, FRLG and then E throughout 2024 and maybe even into 2025.
The image they showed in the Direct is most likely the order they are releasing them in on NSO. No need to speculate there.

The image they showed in the Direct is most likely the order they are releasing them in on NSO. No need to speculate there.
Though that could be the case, just because they were shown in that order doesn't mean they will release in that order. Look at last year when N64 games were first announced. The order they showed games like Majora's Mask & Paper Mario was different from what actually happened.

Though that could be the case, just because they were shown in that order doesn't mean they will release in that order. Look at last year when N64 games were first announced. The order they showed games like Majora's Mask & Paper Mario was different from what actually happened.
But now they have timeframes there as reference with the years. Last time they just showed them in a random order.

A bit shocked no GB/GBA announcement. Guess they are going to push for N64 for 1 more years there

Still feels like the service is a bit of an afterthought for Nintendo. I’m a little surprised as it seems like a good way to bring in consistent revenue.

I was also a little surprised by the lack of GB. Presumably they do think the current offering is strong enough especially with stuff like Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

In terms of the N64 titles I was hoping for a bit more variety though I was excited to see Goldeneye. I certainly hope they space out the Mario Party and Pokemon Stadium releases otherwise it will be a lot of the same content over a six month period.

GB/GBC for Basic sub and GBA for Expansion is what would make the most sense, yeah.
Good that Nintendo agreed with me/us in this case. That's how you grow the service.

People can play the GB games for really cheap and might be pushed towards an upgrade to play sequels or similar games on GBA.

PS. Alone in the Dark GBC wasnt a game i expected to see during a Direct lol.

Good that Nintendo agreed with me/us in this case. That's how you grow the service.

People can play the GB games for really cheap and might be pushed towards an upgrade to play sequels or similar games on GBA.

PS. Alone in the Dark GBC wasnt a game i expected to see during a Direct lol.
GBA for the expansion pass will definitely push me to subscribe.

Yeah I feel they would keep these Pokemon drops for a bigger moments down the line - Scarlet/Violet still quite fresh so they probably don't feel the need to go guns blazing yet on the launch lineup.

They are like Goldeneye on the 64, of they were to happen they will part of a bigger single announcement and not just one of many games unveiled.

Lack of Pokemon kinda sucks given they were the most popular GB/GBA games but this is still great news.

Wait a few more directs. It'll probably have home and stadium 2 compatability.
Since Stadium was also not mentionned, I think it would be best to wait until the Pokemon Day Direct to know whether the mainline Pokémon games will join.

Still good that the Pokémon TCG game was announced, it is a personal favorite.

Overall, the GBA is a very enticing proposition with classic games that still look great today.

Trading Card Game coming, and also The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls on the horizon for Japan gives hope for a first-ever English translation eventually...right? RIGHT?!

I like how Nintendo only ever shells out for the GB version of Tetris. Not the NES version, nor the GBC version Tetris DX, or even the DS version for the Wii U. Nope, good old best version ever GB version hit the 3DS VC and now NSO.
They do the same thing shilling the NES version of Wario's Woods over the SNES version which is the same game but with more modes.

I would definitely wait for the likely Pokemon Direct to see if main series games get added. I really hope they do! They are the biggest reasons why I wanted GB/GBC/GBA before GCN.

So excited for these announcements. I won’t lie in recent years I’ve kinda fallen out of love with nintendos game me outside of smash but I’m absolutely loving the retro games. Really hope they keep pushing more content, because of NSO I’m playing my switch more than I’ve played a Nintendo console since probably the GC/GBA days.

Really lovely GBA is finally coming. Those sexy GBA games is my childhood memories. Golden Sun, Boktai, Devil Children, Summon night.

Bring everything for us Ninty!!!

I like how Nintendo only ever shells out for the GB version of Tetris. Not the NES version, nor the GBC version Tetris DX, or even the DS version for the Wii U. Nope, good old best version ever GB version hit the 3DS VC and now NSO.
I wouldn't count out the possibility of other Tetris versions coming down the line - from what I know the Tetris Company used to be a lot worse about being stingy with licensing out older titles; but have softened up a bit more recently.

So, how do you access the Game Boy Pocket & Game Boy Color skins, as well as shrinking the screen size?
You go into the settings menu in the bottom left on the home menu for the GB app (the one where you can see all of the different available games) - and all the options are shown there.

I imagine it ties into future revenue stream and licensee considerations. By offering it on NSO, Nintendo is essentially writing off its future ability to generate profit, especially if NSO is accretive and transfers over to the next console. So by offering the most basic version repeatedly, it satisfies consumer nostalgia while preserving the ability for other SKUs of Tetris to be commercially viable down the line. And, offering the most basic version ensures that the current licensee of Tetris isn't materially affected by its publication.

Note that I don't personally agree with this logic. I think it's rather dumb, to be honest with you. But having worked at a gaming publisher, I know how they think when making these sorts of seemingly-illogical decisions. They're conservative to a fault.

With the retro consoles lineup for NSO now complete, the value proposition is actually pretty damn good now.
I don’t expect GameCube to ever become available considering they’re relatively much better aged and they can probably do easy remasters for them instead

Not complete until they send Konami/M2 a check for PCE/CD.

DS could still happen as well (even if it’s playable in handheld mode only). (Crap, forgot about the lack of a microphone; nope. DS is out).

GCN/Wii is probably not gonna happen until Switch 2 though. The current Switch isn’t powerful enough to brute force emulate most of their libraries without the source-code porting done in the 3D All Stars collection (which isn’t viable for an NSO style service).

Wish they would shell out for Tetris Attack, which isn't even a Tetris game 🥹

(I'm sure the reason is because NCL does not really recognize this game since it was just a re-skin for Western audiences)

DS could still happen as well (even if it’s playable in handheld mode only). (Crap, forgot about the lack of a microphone; nope. DS is out).

GCN/Wii is probably not gonna happen until Switch 2 though. The current Switch isn’t powerful enough to brute force emulate most of their libraries without the source-code porting done in the 3D All Stars collection (which isn’t viable for an NSO style service).
Yeah, I think DS has just too many interface conceits. And while they could do GC/Wii, it's pretty obvious by now they won't in favor of premium remasters/remakes and anyway filesizes would be an issue for the games.

If Nintendo themselves added another platform, it'd have to be niche stuff like Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini. Which they totally should, Labo VB would be hilarious.

For 3rd party, PCE/CD seems like the obvious new get since it's not already on Switch in a retro line (unlike say ACA NeoGeo or NGPC Selection), has a ton of interesting/desirable games, runs in M2Engage and Konami's already a close partner. CD filesizes are less of an issue too since it's mostly audio that can be compressed; that's how Ys I&II went from an 860MB Duo pack in disc to a 38MB VC download.

For Sega I dunno. I think we'll see Sega CD added to the Genesis app (again, filesizes aren't too much issue as it's mostly uncompressed audio or fmv in some cases), SVP and maybe even down the line 32X if M2 ever gets there. SMS and GG are possible but their VC efforts weren't successful and I just don't think there's that much interest in either, not enough for Nintendo to pay out big like they are for Genesis. Saturn and Dreamcast could be big bit there we start getting into file sizes now being an issue and there's probably enough interest in both that premium releases make more sense. City Connection's already doing that with their S-Tribute line for various shmups, mahjong and other arcade ports on SS.

Other 3rd party stuff, no clue. A lot of it seems pretty niche, region limited or fuzzy with the rights (Wonderswan, Atari platforms, C64/Amiga, 3DO, MSX, etc) and probably better served for dedicated releases and collections. If there's not really enough interest for Game Gear, same would apply to any of these. NeoGeo would probably have been the best option but again, Hamster already has almost everything available via Arcade Archives and they were doing it since Switch launch.

Back
Top Bottom