• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

For a company that prides itself on originality, I think they could be doing a much better job of publishing new IP.
That is hard though. Because Nintendo have some franchises that they are always in various stages of development like Mario and Zelda that take a lot of resources. Then you have franchises like Splatoon, Animal crossing, Mario Kart etc that also need a lot of attention. That means new IP can only happen at those times at Nintendo where there is some space open for a development team to make something new, which doesn't happen that often. Maybe when the internal expansion is finished and the new development building is ready Nintendo can form new development teams and allocate more development resources into making new IP as well though.

At the moment Nintendo does not even have enough resources to make Donkey Kong games, because Donkey Kong lacks an internal development team of its own at Nintendo.

For a company that prides itself on originality, I think they could be doing a much better job of publishing new IP.

In a market that is increasingly hard to compete im with consumers spending more on tried and true franchises, I'd argue going all out on new IPs when you already have a treasure trove of loved properties would be extremely dumb. Nintendo do publish lots of new IPs but they mostly spend the big money on established franchises which makes sense.

Every gen they seem to try and push at least 1 new big IP but you still have lots of franchises that are expected to get releases and development times aren't getting shorter. Stuff like Arms, Ring Fit, Astral Chain etc are a good attempt at new IPs imo.

Nintendo does fine in publishing new IP; the issues people have is that they want Nintendo to invest more into them & in genres enthusiasts want. I think Nintendo’s way is probably for the best with how volatile the current industry is.

I am not sure Nintendo needs new IPs, but maybe use existing IPs in another way.

To take a none Nintendo example. There is now 5 games in under the Steamworld IP, all of them have the same "steampunk visuals" but only two of them have the same gameplay. Within that IP we find, platformers, card based RPG, SRPG and a city builder.

The Mario IP has even more diverse line up. It is not the IP itself it is how you use it and if you can fit that IP into another setting or not.

During the last 10 years, there were some big new IPs and/or sub-series that were released and established by Nintendo: Splatoon, Mario Maker, Pokemon Legends, Ringfit Adventure, Xenoblade, Arms, 3D Kirby etc.

Most of them were very successfull and will for sure get new entries in the future. I think this is a good result

During the last 10 years, there were some big new IPs and/or sub-series that were released and established by Nintendo: Splatoon, Mario Maker, Pokemon Legends, Ringfit Adventure, Xenoblade, Arms, 3D Kirby etc.

Most of them were very successfull and will for sure get new entries in the future. I think this is a good result
Little correction: Xenoblade Chronicles released in 2010.

Little correction: Xenoblade Chronicles released in 2010.

Yes you are right. It released 2010 in Japan and 2011/2012 in EU and USA. I included it in my list because it started to become a 'franchise' later, thats why I counted it

Let's take a look at the Switch era
Would be nice to archive also past consoles initiatives imho
of course, this is not complete at all, let's contribute please :)

NINTENDO SWITCH
Actual new IPs

ARMS
Snipperclips
Astral Chain
LABO

Complete overhauls
Ring Fit (mutuated from Wii Fit?)

New spinoffs (à la Mario kart, so basically new IPs born from existing ones)
None?

New genre (diversification "within" existing IPs)
Super Princess Peach (from 2D side-scrolling to 2.5D/3D action game?)

NINTENDO SWITCH
Actual new IPs

ARMS
Snipperclips
Astral Chain
LABO

Complete overhauls

None?

The new IP list is missing Buddy Mission BOND, The Scretchers, Good Job! and technically Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. For new spinoffs, we can throw in Pokemon Legends, Fire Emblem Warriors, Kirby's Dream Buffet and Mario Kart Live. You should also throw in revivals for 15+ year old IP getting new entries which would include

• Advance Wars
  • Another Code
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Endless Ocean
  • Famicom Detective Club
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap

The new IP list is missing Buddy Mission BOND, The Scretchers, Good Job! and technically Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. For new spinoffs, we can throw in Pokemon Legends, Fire Emblem Warriors, Kirby's Dream Buffet and Mario Kart Live. You should also throw in revivals for 15+ year old IP getting new entries which would include

• Advance Wars
  • Another Code
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Endless Ocean
  • Famicom Detective Club
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap
After more than 2 hardware cycles without a new entry, one could almost claim it's new anyways, even if it's a remake or a sequel.

Framining originality as exclusive to new IPs is a very unoriginal way of thinking.
On one hand, yes.

On the other hand, Nintendo has nothing on competitor franchises like The Last of Us, Halo or Gears of War, aka "cinematic shooters".

I wish they'd diversify towards that genre, too, including the more realistic aesthetics. Nintendo even has a franchise that could easily be revived and rebooted as such: Geist

And we should be praying God every day this doesn't change.
Yeah, genre diversity = bad.

Nintendo does not have the development resources to make that kind of game, it would affect their entire development pipeline because making cinematic AAA games take hundreds of developers working many years for just that title, making a single cinematic AAA game for Nintendo would mean that Nintendo would have long spells of complete draught of new first party titles. It would be like Sony and Microsoft but even worse because Nintendo have far fewer developers than Sony and Microsoft have.

Nintendo EPD have around 700 developers, half of them would be removed from other Nintendo work for years to make a cinematic AAA game.

Nintendo already funded a cinematic shooter. It's called Disaster: Day of Crisis. No reason why that wouldn't be possible again.

Last edited:
On one hand, yes.

On the other hand, Nintendo has nothing on competitor franchises like The Last of Us, Halo or Gears of War, aka "cinematic shooters".

I wish they'd diversify towards that genre, too, including the more realistic aesthetics. Nintendo even has a franchise that could easily be revived and rebooted as such: Geist
Nintendo does not have the development resources to make that kind of game, it would affect their entire development pipeline because making cinematic AAA games take hundreds of developers working many years for just that title, making a single cinematic AAA game for Nintendo would mean that Nintendo would have long spells of complete draught of new first party titles. It would be like Sony and Microsoft but even worse because Nintendo have far fewer developers than Sony and Microsoft have.

Nintendo EPD have around 700 developers, half of them would be removed from other Nintendo work for years to make a cinematic AAA game.

• Advance Wars
  • Another Code
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Endless Ocean
  • Famicom Detective Club
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap

I think we can agree over some of these, while other maybe can't be exactly seen as "new IPs" contents
it's not an easy job, but surely an itneresting one
we should set criteria and list the games within their own field, to get a proper vision/picture

surely, we can all agree that Nintendo portfolio in terms of development and publishing is huge and varied, in nowadays industry landscape: it should be enough to take a look at how many games they publish every years, vs all other publishers imho

On one hand, yes.

I agree, we could also list the "uncovered genres" within their portfolio, but imho only if we avoid from day1 the "this doesn't count" argumento that is thrown so oftern toward Nintendo games for whatever reasons (not saying by you, on this post lol!)

too often we list games to underline how many games are actually there, just to be dismissed because they are NOT cinematic shooters, for example

Yeah I believe unsustainable business pratices should not be persued by Nintendo.

In the year 2024 I don't think you are gonna find many agreeing with "you know what Nintendo lacks? the type of games that bankrupting studios left and right and bringing historically low profits margin to PlayStation".

Yeah I believe unsustainable business pratices should not be persued by Nintendo.

In the year 2024 I don't think you are gonna find many agreeing with "you know what Nintendo lacks? the type of games that bankrupting studios left and right and bringing historically low profits margin to PlayStation".
You mean where a company ONLY makes cinematic shooters anymore? Yeah, agreed. Fortunately, nobody proposed that for Nintendo's business.

NINTENDO SWITCH
Actual new IPs

ARMS
Snipperclips
Astral Chain
LABO
Buddy Mission BOND
The Scretchers, Good Job! Rope Challenge

Complete overhauls

Fire Emblem Warriors (with 2 entries)
Kirby's Dream Buffet
Pokemon Legends Mario Kart Live Circuit

Revivals (15+ years old IPs hiatus)
  • Advance Wars
  • Another Code
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Endless Ocean
  • Famicom Detective Club
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap

Updated with @Astrogamer suggestions (slightly modified: I don't see Marvel Ultimate Alliance as a new IP, even if I understand it being published by Nintendo makes it a new acquisition within their portfolio)

You mean where a company ONLY makes cinematic shooters anymore? Yeah, agreed. Fortunately, nobody proposed that for Nintendo's business.

I gave you the financial reasoning, if you want the "gamer" reason I find this games unispiring and boring, which is something that Nintendo fortunately (for me) also thinks.

We are not gonna see Nintendo make a "look at the graphics and cinematics!" game that will be outdated in 3 years when there is a game that has better graphics and cinematics. It's fundamentally the opposite of what Nintendo believes as a videogame company, which is "timeless fun".

I gave you the financial reasoning, if you want the "gamer" reason I find this games unispiring and boring, which is something that Nintendo fortunately (for me) also thinks.

We are not gonna see Nintendo make a "look at the graphics and cinematics!" game that will be outdated in 3 years when there is a game that has better graphics and cinematics. It's fundamentally the opposite of what Nintendo believes as a videogame company, which is "timeless fun".

I can see them going with that "look at this impressive-looking-serious-game" with Metroid Prime 4 Switch 2 version :p

• Advance Wars
  • Another Code
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Endless Ocean
  • Famicom Detective Club
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap
Iced IP that you decide to bring back and new IPs are completly differents things.

Anyways I don't things that news IP are the only way to do original games.

But if we are saying that Nintendo do a lot of New IPs it's not remakes that will prove that.

Going for one of the most popular genres out there, which is already covered by many publishers, instead of a new or more ignored genre is the opposite of diversity to me.

Sure, Switch in particular is lacking them if you don't count old ports, but Nintendo has plenty of third parties they can reach out if they need to. Just like they reached out SE and Atlus for turn-based RPGs, Platinum for Action games, Warner for Mortal Kombat, etc. At worse, they would have to fund the game, money-hat it or offer better splits than other platforms, but I'm sure they can find 3rd parties willing to make those if Nintendo really feel the need to.

Have you played Metroid Dread? The game has a huge amount of cinematic scenes.

Yes but I never managed to beat the final boss so to this day I've no idea how the game ends.

That said, while the game has a pretty slick presentation that's not really the "cinematic" of The Last of Us, Gears of War and such with their verbose scripts, long dialogues and more realistic artstyles.

Yes but I never managed to beat the final boss so to this day I've no idea how the game ends.

That said, while the game has a pretty slick presentation that's not really the "cinematic" of The Last of Us, Gears of War and such with their verbose scripts, long dialogues and more realistic artstyles.
There's an easy mode.
Samus turns into the ultimate lifeform.
Did Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition not do a million outside Japan?
No, it didn't.

NINTENDO SWITCH
Actual new IPs

ARMS
Snipperclips
Astral Chain
LABO

Complete overhauls

None?

Here's a full-list IP wise for Switch:

Nintendo Forever IP - IP (and sub franchises) that get games every generation and got a game on Switch
  • 2D Super Mario
  • 3D Super Mario
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Tennis
  • Mario Party
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong (remake only)
  • Donkey Kong (port only)
  • 2D Zelda (remake only)
  • 3D Zelda
  • Metroid Prime (counting spin-offs)
  • Yoshi
  • 2D Kirby
  • Spinoff Kirby
  • Mainline Pokémon (both new titles and remakes)
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
  • Miscellaneous one-off Pokémon spin-offs
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Fire Emblem
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
Nintendo Mainstay IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that get games in most console generations, but do sometimes miss a generation
  • Mario Golf
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • 2D Metroid
  • Picross (this is a Nintendo IP, but licenced out to Jupiter)
Nintendo Younger Generation IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that have perfect records so far for generations, but are still on the newer side (Wii era or later)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (technically a Sega franchise)
  • Captain Toad
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Xenoblade
  • Splatoon
  • Nintendo Sports
  • Brain Age / Brain Training
  • Miitopia
  • BOXBOY!
  • Bayonetta (not Nintendo owned, but included for completeness)
Nintendo Revived IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that have gone a long time without anything back on Switch
  • Endless Ocean (last active on Wii in 2009)
  • Another Code (last active on Wii in 2009)
  • Advance Wars (last active on NDS in 2008 - 2013 in Japan due to late release of Days of Ruin)
  • Mario Strikers (last active on Wii in 2007)
  • Big Brain Academy (last active on Wii in 2007)
  • Clubhouse Games (last active on NDS in 2007)
  • Cruis'n (last active [on consoles] on Wii in 2007 - this is a Nintendo IP, but licenced out to Raw Thrills)
  • Baten Kaitos (last active on GCN in 2006 - not a Nintendo IP, but Nintendo has some ownership)
  • F-ZERO (last active on GBA in 2004)
  • Pokémon Snap (last active on N64 in 1999)
  • Famicom Detective Club (last active on Satellaview in 1997, or GBA ports in 2004)
  • Super Mario RPG (last active on SFC/SNES in 1996)
Nintendo New IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that got their start in the Switch era (not counting 3DS-only titles launched after the Switch)
  • 1-2 Switch!
  • Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together!
  • Flip Wars
  • ARMS
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Part Time UFO (started on Mobile, but came to Switch - HAL Labs rather than Nintendo)
  • Nintendo LABO
  • Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
  • Dragalia Lost (mobile only)
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Astral Chain
  • Ring Fit Adventure (some might argue this is a spiritual successor to Wii Fit, but I feel that being an RPG is enough of a distinguisher for this - plus the RingCon is very, very different to the Balance Board)
  • The Stretchers
  • Good Job!
  • Jump Rope Challenge
  • Buddy Mission Bond
  • Game Builder Garage
  • Pokémon Legends
  • 3D Kirby
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
Edge Cases - aka emulation land
  • Star Fox - Star Fox 2 launched for the first time during the Switch era, and eventually came to NSO
  • Devil World - First ever NA release, via NSO
  • Sky Skipper - First ever port, via Arcade Archives
  • Kuruin - First ever NA release, via NSO
  • Joy Mech Fight - First ever western release, via NSO
  • Panel de Pon / Puzzle League - First ever western release of the original Panel de Pon (not the Tetris Attack version)
  • A lot of franchises having NSO releases, but none being firsts in any region: Mother/Earthbound, Kid Icarus, StarTropics, NES Sports, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Punch-Out!!, Murasame Castle, Wario's Woods, Wrecking Crew, Pilotwings, Stunt Race FX, Wario Land, Yakuman, Game & Watch, Pokémon TCG, Dr. Mario, Kaeru no Tame ni Kare wa Naru, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, Wave Race, 1080°, Golden Sun
As you can see, Nintendo has a ridiculous wealth of IP on Switch, which is why I don't feel that new IP necessarily needs to be as much of a factor. Over a dozen of these franchises (including sub-franchises) have 10m+ selling entries on Switch; a sizable chunk after that have multimillion sellers, and most of the rest are still million sellers as well. Trying to keep all of these franchises going while also having the time and manpower to create new IPs (whether fully original or new unique sub-franchises for old IPs) is no easy task, and I think a big chunk of the talent that was going into making new IPs before is instead going towards giving Nintendo's vast back catalogue of IP a second chance at finding an audience.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by new ip. Are you referring to anything with a new name as new ip? That's not what Nintendo considers new, for example if Nintendo took Uncharted and made their own version of it with a new name and new character, would that be really new? To Nintendo that isn't new because all they did was take an idea and slapped a new name on it but to several people on this message board that would be great/new ip. Splatoon is an example of an idea that is new but really wouldn't fit any of their existing ip, hence why it was turned into a new ip. If they have an idea that fits an existing ip, it will be likely used for an existing ip because that ip already has an established brand name. New ip to Nintendo tend to be better utilized to bring in new audiences like Labo/Ring Fit Adventure. They pride themselves on originality because to them copying something already exist isn't a new ip.
New IP means a new franchise and characters. Things like Splatoon or Ring Fit that look and play originally.
That is hard though. Because Nintendo have some franchises that they are always in various stages of development like Mario and Zelda that take a lot of resources. Then you have franchises like Splatoon, Animal crossing, Mario Kart etc that also need a lot of attention. That means new IP can only happen at those times at Nintendo where there is some space open for a development team to make something new, which doesn't happen that often. Maybe when the internal expansion is finished and the new development building is ready Nintendo can form new development teams and allocate more development resources into making new IP as well though.

At the moment Nintendo does not even have enough resources to make Donkey Kong games, because Donkey Kong lacks an internal development team of its own at Nintendo.
I was hoping that, by combining their development teams, Nintendo would only do one game per franchise on the Switch. i.e.something new instead of Splatoon 3. Or a new IP from Intelligent Systems rather than another Fire Emblem game and another WarioWare game.
In a market that is increasingly hard to compete im with consumers spending more on tried and true franchises, I'd argue going all out on new IPs when you already have a treasure trove of loved properties would be extremely dumb. Nintendo do publish lots of new IPs but they mostly spend the big money on established franchises which makes sense.

Every gen they seem to try and push at least 1 new big IP but you still have lots of franchises that are expected to get releases and development times aren't getting shorter. Stuff like Arms, Ring Fit, Astral Chain etc are a good attempt at new IPs imo.
Stuff like Arms, Ring Fit and Astral Chain is exactly what I want more of. I think 2019 was the last actually good year for new IP from Nintendo. Since then new IP have been few and far between.
Framining originality as exclusive to new IPs is a very unoriginal way of thinking.
It would be. But I never said that. Having 5 new gameplay ideas in 5 new IP, would be more original than 5 new gameplay ideas in 5 Mario spin-offs.

Here's a full-list IP wise for Switch:

Nintendo Forever IP - IP (and sub franchises) that get games every generation and got a game on Switch
  • 2D Super Mario
  • 3D Super Mario
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Tennis
  • Mario Party
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong (remake only)
  • Donkey Kong (port only)
  • 2D Zelda (remake only)
  • 3D Zelda
  • Metroid Prime (counting spin-offs)
  • Yoshi
  • 2D Kirby
  • Spinoff Kirby
  • Mainline Pokémon (both new titles and remakes)
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
  • Miscellaneous one-off Pokémon spin-offs
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Fire Emblem
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
Nintendo Mainstay IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that get games in most console generations, but do sometimes miss a generation
  • Mario Golf
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • 2D Metroid
  • Picross (this is a Nintendo IP, but licenced out to Jupiter)
Nintendo Younger Generation IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that have perfect records so far for generations, but are still on the newer side (Wii era or later)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (technically a Sega franchise)
  • Captain Toad
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Xenoblade
  • Splatoon
  • Nintendo Sports
  • Brain Age / Brain Training
  • Miitopia
  • BOXBOY!
  • Bayonetta (not Nintendo owned, but included for completeness)
Nintendo Revived IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that have gone a long time without anything back on Switch
  • Endless Ocean (last active on Wii in 2009)
  • Another Code (last active on Wii in 2009)
  • Advance Wars (last active on NDS in 2008 - 2013 in Japan due to late release of Days of Ruin)
  • Mario Strikers (last active on Wii in 2007)
  • Big Brain Academy (last active on Wii in 2007)
  • Clubhouse Games (last active on NDS in 2007)
  • Cruis'n (last active [on consoles] on Wii in 2007 - this is a Nintendo IP, but licenced out to Raw Thrills)
  • Baten Kaitos (last active on GCN in 2006 - not a Nintendo IP, but Nintendo has some ownership)
  • F-ZERO (last active on GBA in 2004)
  • Pokémon Snap (last active on N64 in 1999)
  • Famicom Detective Club (last active on Satellaview in 1997, or GBA ports in 2004)
  • Super Mario RPG (last active on SFC/SNES in 1996)
Nintendo New IP - IP (and sub-franchises) that got their start in the Switch era (not counting 3DS-only titles launched after the Switch)
  • 1-2 Switch!
  • Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together!
  • Flip Wars
  • ARMS
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Part Time UFO (started on Mobile, but came to Switch - HAL Labs rather than Nintendo)
  • Nintendo LABO
  • Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
  • Dragalia Lost (mobile only)
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Astral Chain
  • Ring Fit Adventure (some might argue this is a spiritual successor to Wii Fit, but I feel that being an RPG is enough of a distinguisher for this - plus the RingCon is very, very different to the Balance Board)
  • The Stretchers
  • Good Job!
  • Jump Rope Challenge
  • Buddy Mission Bond
  • Game Builder Garage
  • Pokémon Legends
  • 3D Kirby
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
Edge Cases - aka emulation land
  • Star Fox - Star Fox 2 launched for the first time during the Switch era, and eventually came to NSO
  • Devil World - First ever NA release, via NSO
  • Sky Skipper - First ever port, via Arcade Archives
  • Kuruin - First ever NA release, via NSO
  • Joy Mech Fight - First ever western release, via NSO
  • Panel de Pon / Puzzle League - First ever western release of the original Panel de Pon (not the Tetris Attack version)
  • A lot of franchises having NSO releases, but none being firsts in any region: Mother/Earthbound, Kid Icarus, StarTropics, NES Sports, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Punch-Out!!, Murasame Castle, Wario's Woods, Wrecking Crew, Pilotwings, Stunt Race FX, Wario Land, Yakuman, Game & Watch, Pokémon TCG, Dr. Mario, Kaeru no Tame ni Kare wa Naru, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, Wave Race, 1080°, Golden Sun
As you can see, Nintendo has a ridiculous wealth of IP on Switch, which is why I don't feel that new IP necessarily needs to be as much of a factor. Over a dozen of these franchises (including sub-franchises) have 10m+ selling entries on Switch; a sizable chunk after that have multimillion sellers, and most of the rest are still million sellers as well. Trying to keep all of these franchises going while also having the time and manpower to create new IPs (whether fully original or new unique sub-franchises for old IPs) is no easy task, and I think a big chunk of the talent that was going into making new IPs before is instead going towards giving Nintendo's vast back catalogue of IP a second chance at finding an audience.
Great compilation!!
One “franchise” that I hope to return is Game & Watch Collection.
Imagine a complete collection with all 59 games for the Switch or Switch 2.

RingFit is a completely new IP. Honestly I don't see it as spiritual successor to Wii Fit, rather a new experience that takes the same basic idea. But the two games are pretty different.

Back
Top Bottom