• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo is going into next gen with a lot of momentum... and still several cards to play

switch-family-fr

As we slowly go into 2024 and a new era for Nintendo with the expected arrival of its next platform, it is the perfect time to sit and think about Nintendo's current position in the gaming landscape.

Exceptional momentum

2023 was supposed to be a pivotal year for Nintendo. It is the year that marked the company's expansion in Movies, with its most iconic brand, and the launch of the much anticipated sequel of Breath of the Wild.

mario-movie-and-zelda-totk.jpg

So on the one hand, you had a big unknown despite Mario and Illumination's pedigree. On the other hand, you had one of your master cards, the follow-up to a breakthrough hard to dissociate to the Switch success story itself.

April: From Mister Videogame to Mister Movie?

The Super Mario Movie project was in the works for several years. As you well know, Nintendo's first foray into the movie scene was a failure. It pushed the company to pull the plug on that initiative and encouraged them to keep a tighter leesh on their IPs.

When their partnership with Illumination was announced, it both raised financial hopes and concerns. The studio was famous for both its BO successes (The Minions, Despicable Me...) and its critical shortcomings.

Saying that the anticipation and apprehension was high before the first trailer of the movie would be an understatement. It eventually happened through a dedicated Direct (a great symbol of the synergies between Nintendo's gaming culture and its movie initiatives).

I could go on and on about the Movie's roaring success but it is a topic for another day. What's certain is that the movie grossed $1.3B worldwide, and expanded Nintendo/Mario reach beyond what gaming can offer.

It was the first punch, in April, that would put Nintendo's business into an exceptional shape during that quarter and generate ton of momentum.

May: Tears of the Kingdom

Breath of the Wild was a breakthrough for The Legend of Zelda series, far exceeding previous entries. During the 6+ years gap, it continued to sell steadily from less than 3m units in its launch quarter to more than 10 times that amount.

Expectations were high for its direct sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, as fans waited impatiently for years as Nintendo slowly revealed more detail on the latest entry.

xS4OINI.png

(Credits to Peleo, numbers by the end of 2022)​

However, there were some questions too, the novelty factor faded away and the Switch was just entering its 7th year on the market by showing more and more signs of its aging hardware. How important Tears of the Kingdom would really be for Nintendo ?

It didn't take much time for the answer to come, from the launch of a special OLED edition, to the actual launch and Nintendo's official PR only two weeks passed by.

cj0smqauxn0b1.jpg

FwWUlzJWYAEww2E.jpg:large

Tears of the Kingdom managed the extremely difficult feat of matching BotW's critical reception, set a record for launch sales for Nintendo during one of the calmest month of the year (most records were set in the Holidays previously) and of boosting hardware more than 6 years after its launch:

9146954b94c829764cea9e9e628e177a

Zelda significantly raised the Switch baseline, defying cyclical decline

Switch sales rose worldwide during the quarter, to reach a very strong 3.91M units during Mario & Zelda launch quarter, a 12% growth YoY and simply the biggest outside of the Covid boost in 2020/2021. It puts Nintendo into a very comfortable position to reach their 15M forecast for the whole fiscal year since already 26% of the target is reached.

Even if it utlimately slowed down, at least on the hardware front, the momentum is very strong for an ecosystem that old and the reveal (+ now launch) of Super Mario Wonder confirmed that Nintendo would ride this wave throughout the Holiday season. They are therefore ending 2023 in a very favorable position.

So, with 2-3 significant launches in 2023, did Nintendo blow off their load and is going into 2024 empty handed ?

947508-paper-mario.jpg

A remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was Nintendo's biggest announcement during September 2023's Nintendo Direct
We are currently mostly in the dark on the pipeline front. Games are key to have a successful hardware transition, it was abundantely clear for the Switch itself, so what could Nintendo really be preparing for its next console launch window ?
2017-2024: Waiting for Mario

It might sound ludicrous, given the amount of Mario related content we got since April 2023, between the movie, a new 2D Mario, a new Peach subseries coming this March, and a meaty slate of remakes. However, there's Mario and Mario, and for Nintendo, two Mario subseries are treated very specially. Those two Mario subseries have been mostly dormant since 2017, at the exception of new (but mainly outsourced) content between 2021 and 2023.

maxresdefault.jpg

For waiting right ? (excerpt of the final Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pass credit scene, November 2023)
Mario Kart and 3D Mario have been two of the biggest cards of Nintendo's playbook:

• The Mario Kart franchise has hit incredibly massive mainstream appeal ever since its shift to 3D. However, ever since the DS/Wii, the franchise reached new heights, being the best-selling games on every Nintendo platform ever since (3DS, WiiU, Switch).
  • For 3D Mario, the return to the sandbox formula combined with the Switch's incredible success has put the subseries to a new level. Trailers of Super Mario Odyssey remain, to this point, the most watched for a Nintendo game (55M for the reveal trailer, 41M for the E3 one in Nintendo of America YT account).

Those two massive assets for Nintendo, among the top 5 of best-selling Switch games with 57m units sold for Mario Kart and 27m for Odyssey (as of September 2023), are however pretty much dormant every since. The studios behind these games have not released a new console game since June 2017 (ARMS from the MK team) and October 2017 (Odyssey, from EPD Tokyo). There have been some work done tho, as mentioned before.

They are two of the cards, on Nintendo's sleeves, to deliver a smooth and exciting transition. For Mario Kart, the anticipation is even grander since 8 initially launched in 2014.

2023 : Pivotal year for big Western IPs ?

Funnily enough, it is partially when the Switch entered its last years (and with PS5/Xbox gaining momentum) that the signs for upcoming and meaningful Western 3rd party support were the clearest.

ea-sports-fc-24-preo.jpg

mxIC3LtMR3tG5s0l8VoygoE0.png

Call-of-Duty-2024.jpg

• The latest FIFA entry, called EA FC 24, has been moved to the Frostbite engine after years of Legacy support (since 2019)
  • Hogwarts Legacy, 2023's highest selling game, has been released on Switch despite initially being PS5/XB/PC only, a clear sign of the effort invested in order to make the port happen. Sales of the game on Switch have been extremely strong since its launch.
  • As the ABK acquisition closed this year, it is now confirmed that Call of Duty will make its grand return on Nintendo console(s) next year after a decade+ of nothing.

While the reasons behind each of these Switch ports are different, it does position the upcoming platform into a very favorable position. They won't get everything, but they'll get the games that matter the most for mainstream audiences (with GaaS support being also strong). The only remaining member of the holy trifeca, which carried the PS/Xbox since the PS3/X360 era, is Grand Theft Auto. Its presence or absence will have an impact for 2025 sales and beyond.

gta-vi-questions.jpg

GTA VI is a big question mark, with a 2025 release date, it is ideally placed to generate momentum for a new console, only a dream ?
A few risks

• Risk of delay - while the mometum is very strong for a console that old, the Switch still slowed down significantly this Holiday season despite the release of Super Mario Bros. Wonder. If the successor slips to 2025 (because software isn't ready for instance), then 2024 might be a big struggle.​

• Pricing - The Nintendo Switch released in 2017 at 299$/330€/32.980Y but since then, there has been a big inflation happening and the OLED (which is a bit more expensive) is still the model with the lower margins. An increase is therefore expected, at the risk of cutting a part of Nintendo's audience. The low Yen might also make the jump higher in Japan, which would threathen domestic sales (on which several 1st/3rd party franchises on Switch relied on). The way they'll handle the Switch after its successor launches will be a key aspect to make the smooth transition they are looking for.​

• No new Zelda game for a while - Tears of the Kindgom released in 2023 with a 6 years gap with Breath of the Wild. This is one of Nintendo's biggest assets both comercially and critically, putting the franchise in the league of other huge hardware movers. This also fills a big hole in Nintendo's library, with very few open world games coming from 3rd party publishers (those don't usually scale down well on lower powered devices). So when will the new open air Zelda release ? Probably not before 2028, and that's with Aonuma confirming that no DLC will release for Tears.​

To conclude, it does seem like Nintendo is potentially in a very good position to launch a new platform in 2024. 2023 is ending on a high note for the firm, which closed the year at the highest market cap of its whole history. Confidence is high but I'd like to take this occasions to ask you, in your opinion, how Nintendo could ensure the best transition possible, and how could it solve the risks I mentioned and/or the ones you have in mind ?

2024 will be a very exciting year
for that very reason, speculating and ultimately knowing Nintendo's grand plan for a very important "smooth transition".

nintendo-future-hardware-scaled.jpg

If we look at the actual Nintendo produced lineup in 2H 2016 (and Q1 2017) for 3DS+Wii U up to the Switch launch:

07.07.16 Culdcept Revolt (3DS) Omiya Soft, Jamsworks
07.21.16 Metroid Prime: Blast Ball (3DS) Next Level Games
08.19.16 Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS) Next Level Games
10.07.16 Mario Party: Star Rush (3DS) NdCube
10.07.16 Paper Mario: Color Splash (WU) Intelligent Systems
11.17.16 Swapdoodle (3DS) Nintendo EPD, Denyu-sha
11.18.16 Pokémon Sun / Moon (3DS) Game Freak, Creatures
11.23.16 Animal Crossing: New Leaf ~ Welcome amiibo (3DS) Nintendo EPD, Eighting
12.01.16 Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Nintendo EPD, Nintendo Software Technology
12.08.16 Miitopia (3DS) Nintendo EPD
12.21.16 Tank Troopers (3DS) Nintendo EPD, Vitei
12.22.16 Momotaru Dentestu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! (3DS) Valhalla Game Studios
01.19.17 Poochi & Yoshi's Wooly World (3DS) Good Feel
02.02.17 Bye-Bye Boxboy (3DS) HAL Laboratory
03.03.17 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WU) Nintendo EPD, Monolith Soft

If you want to project out what Nintendo might have for Switch during the rest of 2024 and into 2025 when Switch 2 launches, something akin to this in terms of scale and scope feels like a safer bet.

Man, I have been dying for a new Culdcept on Switch. It's the perfect platform for the franchise. Itadaki Street, too.

All 2024 games are minor releases though (yes, including the peach game).

Your gotcha are two remasters
His... gotcha?

Are you suggesting that this does not make it blatantly obvious there are going to be at least several more games this year? Regardless of wether they're big or not. They don't need any further system sellers on the Switch anyways.

The replies in this thread are hilarious, before today the majority of you were certain today's releases would be all Nintendo had left for Switch for the entire year.
Huh? How many people were actually saying this? A few at most, not the majority.
This post of mine last month (obviously not up to date anymore) got a whole bunch of thanks. Many people disagreed with these ideas of there being a drought this year or whatever.
So this year they have a game in January, one in February, one in March, one in May and two more announced for this year for maybe June for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and anywhere from July to September for Paper Mario. They could still have a direct in April as rumoured and shadow drop another Gamecube remaster, but not necessarily.

Then add Pokémon in November and maybe Metroid Prime 4 and at least one or two other games that haven't been announced yet and the year is set.
And then maybe a smaller game in January or February next year.

You see? No drought. No need to go Nintendoomed.
Now Paper Mario being in the first half of the year before LM2HD suggests to me that there might be even more than I thought there would be.

So, Paper Mario is May and Luigi is June
So basically 1 game per months published by Nintendo in the first half of the year

And yet people beliwve they will let the software dry up and rot from July until Q1 2025 for the supposed Switch 2 launch..

Weeeeeeell, I doubt that
Nintendo seemingly has a bunch of smaller software they can release whenever they feel like it. Empty schedule because the Switch 2 was delayed? They can probably release Xeno X remastered then, or whatever GC or 3DS game they want.

Since the discussion over the last few pages have moved away from the thread's original topic, let's continue the discussion on Nintendo's 2024 output in the newly created 1st party thread:

His... gotcha?

Are you suggesting that this does not make it blatantly obvious there are going to be at least several more games this year? Regardless of wether they're big or not. They don't need any further system sellers on the Switch anyways.
No one has argued that Nintendo will have nothing releasing the second half of the year. The question is if they will all be remasters and ports of older games or if they have something new and big for the year, that remains to be seen as of today.

No one has argued that Nintendo will have nothing releasing the second half of the year. The question is if they will all be remasters and ports of older games or if they have something new and big for the year, that remains to be seen as of today.

I believe you didn't
many on the contrary did and now that is becoming cleat that they suspicously are filling H1 with 1-game-a-month I think we can agree that they will

- launch Switch 2 in H2 CY24
or
- announce unannounced games for H" CY24

now: will the games be small, medium or big? who knows

surely with

- A new "mainline" (I have been called out for saying Legends is a spinoff so :p) Pokemon game coming to Switch in CY2025
- commercially big games like Mario Wonder being unveiled in June with an October release

we can all agree that we will have to see their "mid-year-Direct" (aka: E3 Direct lol) to have a clear picture of their software pipeline

rumored games so far have been

Fire Emblem remake
DK platform
Pokemon remake
Wide-demographic-game (like Tomodatchi)

plus the officially announced Metroid Prime 4

will they all be released on Switch? probably not
will they be actual game? neither lol
will some of these come true? likely

all of those games are million sellers, btw, as Mario vs DK will (despite people diminishing its relevance for H1 sale and support - despite probably Paper Mario and Luigi too being million seller at the end of the day)

I think that the will of a Switch2 and the tastes of us as a form of enthusiast are shadowing a little bit what a Nintendo support actually is and can be for the 8th year of the Switch on the market

that's all!

:)

You yourself claimed there would be a drought this year. I assume you didn't mean literally nothing releasing but just very little, but you still said that.

I personally think there should be at least one further completely new game in the second half of the year that hasn't been announced yet regardless of how many ports and remasters/remakes release.

You yourself claimed there would be a drought this year. I assume you didn't mean literally nothing releasing but just very little, but you still said that.

I personally think there should be at least one further completely new game in the second half of the year that hasn't been announced yet regardless of how many ports and remasters/remakes release.

but, speaking of sales (being on IB, right?) I wouldn't even dismiss remakes at all
I mean

Mario vs DK debuted higher than Captain Toad (I game I LOVE clearly - lol - but also a game the remake has been compared to, sales wise); it won't have the same legs (being late in the console life cycle) but the debut has been so higher that it's basically guaranteed it will be a million seller

Paper Mario TTYD: are we doubting it to be a million seller? please don't
Luigi's Mansion 2: the very same - not as exciting as Luigis 3 of course, but that game sold what: 12/13 millions? pretty sure that the 2HD will see HUGE decline, but still...it will be a million seller

IF they are going to release a Pokemon remake (like the one developed by ILCA few years ago), are we implying it's not a relevant game, sales-wise?
but even FE 4 remake could still be a million seller, despite being a remake (TH is a 4mil seller, Engage a 2mil seller)

and of course I think nobody could dismiss a lineup made by 1-game-per-month with 3-to-6-million seller as a drought, especially for a console in its 8th year on the market with 140mil already sold (meaning: not many system seller left, just because of possible global saturation hardware-wise for the product)

I believe you didn't
many on the contrary did and now that is becoming cleat that they suspicously are filling H1 with 1-game-a-month I think we can agree that they will

- launch Switch 2 in H2 CY24
or
- announce unannounced games for H" CY24

now: will the games be small, medium or big? who knows

surely with

- A new "mainline" (I have been called out for saying Legends is a spinoff so :p) Pokemon game coming to Switch in CY2025
- commercially big games like Mario Wonder being unveiled in June with an October release

we can all agree that we will have to see their "mid-year-Direct" (aka: E3 Direct lol) to have a clear picture of their software pipeline

rumored games so far have been

Fire Emblem remake
DK platform
Pokemon remake
Wide-demographic-game (like Tomodatchi)

plus the officially announced Metroid Prime 4

will they all be released on Switch? probably not
will they be actual game? neither lol
will some of these come true? likely

all of those games are million sellers, btw, as Mario vs DK will (despite people diminishing its relevance for H1 sale and support - despite probably Paper Mario and Luigi too being million seller at the end of the day)

I think that the will of a Switch2 and the tastes of us as a form of enthusiast are shadowing a little bit what a Nintendo support actually is and can be for the 8th year of the Switch on the market

that's all!

:)
All this talk and no Rhythm Heaven 😭

An April direct makes sense so they can make a new digital old remaster shadowdropped (Prime 2) and announce their H2 lineup that hopefully includes Fire Emblem GotW remake (september), new Tomodachi (july), Metroid Prime 4 (november) and DK (october).

but, speaking of sales (being on IB, right?) I wouldn't even dismiss remakes at all
I mean

Mario vs DK debuted higher than Captain Toad (I game I LOVE clearly - lol - but also a game the remake has been compared to, sales wise); it won't have the same legs (being late in the console life cycle) but the debut has been so higher that it's basically guaranteed it will be a million seller

Paper Mario TTYD: are we doubting it to be a million seller? please don't
Luigi's Mansion 2: the very same - not as exciting as Luigis 3 of course, but that game sold what: 12/13 millions? pretty sure that the 2HD will see HUGE decline, but still...it will be a million seller

IF they are going to release a Pokemon remake (like the one developed by ILCA few years ago), are we implying it's not a relevant game, sales-wise?
but even FE 4 remake could still be a million seller, despite being a remake (TH is a 4mil seller, Engage a 2mil seller)

and of course I think nobody could dismiss a lineup made by 1-game-per-month with 3-to-6-million seller as a drought, especially for a console in its 8th year on the market with 140mil already sold (meaning: not many system seller left, just because of possible global saturation hardware-wise for the product)

You talk about games that are millionensellers WORLDWIDE - I think this is not what I would call a big seller nowadays - especially not on Nintendo Switch environment. At the moment, I dont see any Switch game in 2024 becoming a >5 Mio. seller WW, so sales wise this is definetly a weak year for Switch circumstances

You talk about games that are millionensellers WORLDWIDE - I think this is not what I would call a big seller nowadays - especially not on Nintendo Switch environment. At the moment, I dont see any Switch game in 2024 becoming a >5 Mio. seller WW, so sales wise this is definetly a weak year for Switch circumstances

Gotcha
We are at a point where a game must sell 5mil+ to be relevant to testify support to a console, despite it already be where the Switch is

Do younthink that a 5mil+ game would be a system seller? From which brand, among which demographic, to boost hardware up to..?

A lineup with multiple million seller is enough to keep the momentum up/live for a console so sucessfull as the Switch, with its active userbase

That is the topic of this thread: Nintendo is going into the nextgen with a lot of momentum

People were arguing that this is at risk because of software drought, as for the Wii

I would wait until their H2 lineup will be revealed, that's all

My money would be on Mario Sluggers being the one new game that’s not a remaster/remake lol. We may get lucky with a Grezzo 2D Zelda, but I feel like that may be a remake and not a new game. Metroid Prime 4 is probably being saved for Switch 2 so it can benefit from the hype of the new system.

How many 5 million sellers are released in the first half? 2017 had multiple for obvious reasons but the 2018 had what? Donkey Kong TF in May 2018. 2019 had NSMBU Deluxe in Jan 2019 and Mario Maker 2 in June 2019. 2020 has Animal Crossing in March 2020. 2021? 2022 had Pokemon Legends. 2023 had Zelda. Am I missing anything?
We have learned of just the first half, let's give it time first.

Gotcha
We are at a point where a game must sell 5mil+ to be relevant to testify support to a console, despite it already be where the Switch is

Do younthink that a 5mil+ game would be a system seller? From which brand, among which demographic, to boost hardware up to..?

A lineup with multiple million seller is enough to keep the momentum up/live for a console so sucessfull as the Switch, with its active userbase

That is the topic of this thread: Nintendo is going into the nextgen with a lot of momentum

People were arguing that this is at risk because of software drought, as for the Wii

I would wait until their H2 lineup will be revealed, that's all
Niche barrier is rising every generation. At least kirby is now big, poor Fire Emblem

How many 5 million sellers are released in the first half? 2017 had multiple for obvious reasons but the 2018 had what? Donkey Kong TF in May 2018. 2019 had NSMBU Deluxe in Jan 2019 and Mario Maker 2 in June 2019. 2020 has Animal Crossing in March 2020. 2021? 2022 had Pokemon Legends. 2023 had Zelda. Am I missing anything?
We have learned of just the first half, let's give it time first.

2021 had Mario 3D World + BF and Monster Hunter Rise as big sellers of H1. 2024 so far has....nothing in that range

@Aostia82 We talk about a 140-150Mio hardwarebase plattform. The level here is much higher then for previous unsuccessfull plattforms like Gamecube or WiiU. Software which has a sales potential about 2-3M worldwide is okay, but definetly not a 'big seller' under these circumstances and in Switch environment. Take a look at 2023, there was a >20 Mio. seller game (TotK), a >10 Mio. seller game (Wonder) and some games in 2M-4M range (Mario RPG, Pikmin 4 etc.). And here we only talk about sales that were executed in 2023.

If 2024 would indeed end with a hand full of 2-4M range-sellers, then this would definetly be a huge cutoff against the previous year.

Last edited:
2021 had Mario 3D World + BF and Monster Hunter Rise as big sellers of H1. 2024 so far has....nothing in that range
So 1 or 2 at best, you are acting like the first half in others years are so stacked with multiple 5 million sellers. I know it's probably a long shot but maybe Princess Peach surprises? Would you say this year has the most releases from Nintendo? Seems that way to me, so cumulatively I think it challenges 2018. Donkey Kong TF is bigger individually but 2024 might beat 2018 cumulatively.

So 1 or 2 at best, you are acting like the first half in others years are so stacked with multiple 5 million sellers. I know it's probably a long shot but maybe Princess Peach surprises? Would you say this year has the most releases from Nintendo? Seems that way to me, so cumulatively I think it challenges 2018. Donkey Kong TF is bigger individually but 2024 might beat 2018 cumulatively.

Having 2 big sellers in H1 (like 2019 or 2021 had) is a big leading up against having zero big sellers in H1 (as 2024). And yes, I think H1 in 2018 was indeed worse than 2024 - but that is the only year that will lose the competition, all other years will win against H1 2024. And H2 of 2018 was for sure much stronger sales wise than H2 2024 will be

@Aostia82 We talk about a 140-150Mio hardwarebase plattform. The level here is much higher then for previous unsuccessfull plattforms like Gamecube or WiiU. Software which has a sales potential about 2-3M worldwide is okay, but definetly not a 'big seller' under these circumstances and in Switch environment. Take a look at 2023, there was a >20 Mio. seller game (TotK), a >10 Mio. seller game (Wonder) and some games in 2M-4M range (Mario RPG, Pikmin 4 etc.). And here we only talk about sales that were executed in 2023.

If 2024 would indeed end with a hand full of 2-4M range-sellers, then this would definetly be a huge cutoff against the previous year.

Ok but which is the argument here?
Will the Switch have more than one 5mil+ seller in the CY2024? Probably not (could be a Pokémon remake, for example)
Is Nintendo going to sustain Switch brand awereness and momentum until Q1 CY2025 (if the Switch 2 rumors are true?)

Definitely yes in H1 (with 3 million sellers) and definetely COULD BE in H2 (going by everything I listed)

the 5mil+ barrier to me is totally made up, within the context of this thread - that is keeping momentum alive, with many discouragng Nintendo's ability to do so because software drought

But that's a barrier you made up, nintendo doesnt need to have a 5mil seller in its H1.

Will the Switch have more than one 5mil+ seller in the CY2024? Probably not (could be a Pokémon remake, for example)
Is Nintendo going to sustain Switch brand awereness and momentum until Q1 CY2025 (if the Switch 2 rumors are true?)

Definitely yes in H1 (with 3 million sellers) and definetely COULD BE in H2 (going by everything I listed)

the 5mil+ barrier to me is totally made up, within the context of this thread - that is keeping momentum alive, with many discouragng Nintendo's ability to do so because software drought

Exactly and 2024 being compared to other years also doesn't make sense. See 2024 for what it is. Any console would ne happy to having what nsw is having in its 8th year and consumers/gamers agree. No one is expecting huge mega sellers anymore and we have 2 that are still releasing on nsw (Prime 4 and PLZA) which will both be 10mil and 20mil sellers each respectively
Worse case MP4 does 5mil, hence not niche anymore! /s

Having 2 big sellers in H1 (like 2019 or 2021 had) is a big leading up against having zero big sellers in H1 (as 2024). And yes, I think H1 in 2018 was indeed worse than 2024 - but that is the only year that will lose the competition, all other years will win against H1 2024. And H2 of 2018 was for sure much stronger sales wise than H2 2024 will be
You named only two years and one of those years include a third party game. All the other years should beat 2024 sales wise, because those are Switch prime years. This is Switch at the end of it's life, where market saturation makes it impossible for 2024 to beat any of those years. You mentioned earlier Switch 2024 looks no better than WiiU or 3DS late years, do you still believe that? Can we both agree 2024 only looks worse due to missing the one major selling title? The number of releases on the other hand looks superior to 2018 and 2020.

Edit: Saw your post below, does Pokemon ZA and Metroid Prime 4 releasing on Switch, not the same as Sony did with PS4 to PS5 transition you mentioned? Also this momentum stuff is all a myth, how many times have we seen a Nintendo platform with no momentum lead to a great success? GC led to Wii and WiiU lead to Switch. Momentum comes from the support of that platform, not the sales of the previous. WiiU was completely dead and Switch will be the highest seller in history. Switch's momentum has no bearing on Switch 2 success, Nintendo needs to have the games ready.

Last edited:

I agree to you here basically, but big question is: How do we define 'a lot of' momentum? If Switch 2 launches in March 2025 and the Switch 1 lineup of 12-14 months before mainly contained a vast majority of remakes, ports and smaller games, then I dont think that this is a 'great' momentum. Sounds more like an 'okay-ish low effort' momentum for me.

For example: PS5 launched in November 2020 and PS4 got big exclusivtitles like TLoU2 (June 2020) or Ghost of T. (July 2020) a few months before. This is what I would call a better momentum for transition than Switch to Switch 2 will most probably have now. If Switch 2 would have released in spring 2024 for example, then this would have been a great momentum transition. But now, I think it releases 6-9 months 'too late' under these circumstances

@Phenom08 H1 of 2021 had a lot of interesting games more. Beside the big sellers Mario 3D World and MH Rise, you also had Bravely Default 2 or New Pokemon Snap or Pokemon Unite there. So I do think that H1 of 2021 is stronger in general than 2024 - even if we dont look specifically on the big sellers.

If we compare H1 2024 to H1 2020, then I also think that 2020 was stronger. Animal Crossing as the big-big-big-seller was a huge fish at all, but it was sorrounded by other releases in H1 like TMS port, Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, Clubhouse games or Xenoblade DE - with new Paper Mario releasing slightly afterwards in July.

To be honest: I think H1 2018 is the only one that I would call as 'weaker', all other years should win against H1 2024. And yes, this is not a big issue, because we are in year 8 (and last year) of Switch lifecycle now. That is totally fine for me. But people should stop acting like 2024 would still be a banger lineup and there will still be a lot of unannounced big games coming to Switch 1 in 2024. My prediction is: No new DK, no Metroid Prime 4 and no Pokemon remakes in 2024 for Switch 1. We will get FE4 remake, Zelda Ports, MP2 and Mp3 ports and maybe a new Rhythm Heaven in H2 2024 -thats all

Last edited:
I agree to you here basically, but big question is: How do we define 'a lot of' momentum? If Switch 2 launches in March 2025 and the Switch 1 lineup of 12-14 months before mainly contained a vast majority of remakes, ports and smaller games, then I dont think that this is a 'great' momentum. Sounds more like an 'okay-ish low effort' momentum for me.

For example: PS5 launched in November 2020 and PS4 got big exclusivtitles like TLoU2 (June 2020) or Ghost of T. (July 2020) a few months before. This is what I would call a better momentum for transition than Switch to Switch 2 will most probably have now. If Switch 2 would have released in spring 2024 for example, then this would have been a great momentum transition. But now, I think it releases 6-9 months 'too late' under these circumstances
Ngl: If I were Nintendo, I'd intentionally put only "so-so" efforts on Switch 1 from now on and then launch the Switch 2 with a BANG of big titles, to really hammer it home to the world: This is the launch of a new system!

However, Endless Ocean, new Pokemon Legends and a long wished PM2-remaster are already more than "okay-ish" for a systems last year imo. And there's more than those 3.

As simple as that: there already is a Pokemon mainline game (that is what people called Legends) already slated for next year
so your argumento about not having big sellers before releasing the Switch 2 is already disproven
that said, being a remake or a port doens't equate to "not being a good or big seller", otherwise Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a fluke (hint: it isnt')
And so having a H1 of CY 2024 (that already is Switch 8th year on the market) with three sure million seller (and Paper Mario or Luigi aren't necessarily ONE million seller, you know that right?) is not a barren lineup: it they sell millions of copies, that authomatically proves that are able to keep the interest around the console way more than alive
H2? nobody knows: but as I said

- A new mainline Pokemon already announced for AFTER that H2 horizon
- Metroid Prime 4 already announced as a Switch game
- Rumors about FE4 remake ready for Switch
- Nintendo USUAL way of annoucing games (like Wonder: yes for you is disappointing underperformer...) In June to be released in H2
- 1 game per month published in H1

point to: Switch 2 H2 launch OR Switch 1 H" likely support as good/better than the already more than sufficient support in H1

that's all, for me - not going ahead, we are just repeating the same contents over and over

However, Endless Ocean, new Pokemon Legends and a long wished PM2-remaster are already more than "okay-ish" for a systems last year imo. And there's more than those 3.

One say so, others say so. Take a look at least years lineup of WiiU before Switch 1 was released (and I think nobody here would call this a 'good transition with a lot of momentum'):

Twilight Princess HD
Pokken Tournament
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions
Paper Mario CS
Starfox Zero + Guard
Mario and Sonic at Rio
BotW

To be honest, this looks better to me (or at least equal) to the exclusive lineup that we will most probably get for Switch 1 in the coming 12 months now - especially because most of the WiiU games were new developed games and NOT mainly ports or remasters. Switch 1 should beat this WiiUs last year lineup by a huge margin, because it is several times more successfull - but this will not happen

@Aostia82 Come on, you can NOT compare MK8 deluxe sales wise to this years ports like LM2 HD or PMHD, this should be obvious for everyone. A MK8 Deluxe has more sales potential than all exclusive Switch games will have in 2024 combined ;)

One say so, others say so. Take a look at least years lineup of WiiU before Switch 1 was released (and I think nobody here would call this a 'good transition with a lot of momentum'):

Twilight Princess HD
Pokken Tournament
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions
Paper Mario CS
Starfox Zero + Guard
Mario and Sonic at Rio
BotW

To be honest, this looks better to me (or at least equal) to the exclusive lineup that we will most probably get for Switch 1 in the coming 12 months now - especially because most of the WiiU games were new developed games and NOT mainly ports or remasters. Switch 1 should beat this WiiUs last year lineup by a huge margin, because it is several times more successfull - but this will not happen

@Aostia82 Come on, you can NOT compare MK8 deluxe sales wise to this years ports like LM2 HD or PMHD, this should be obvious for everyone. A MK8 Deluxe has more sales potential than all exclusive Switch games will have in 2024 combined ;)
No one would call this good momentum because the WiiU didn't have good momentum. This has nothing to do with the software line up and you are comparing over a year of WiiU titles to just 6 months of Switch titles. Twilight Princess HD released March 2016 and BoTW released March 2017. 7 games in 12 months vs 6 games in 6 months for Switch. Switch also has the greatest momentum in history.

No one would call this good momentum because the WiiU didn't have good momentum. This has nothing to do with the software line up and you are comparing over a year of WiiU titles to just 6 months of Switch titles.

No I do NOT - because I already include the Switch 1 titles into my assumptiom that I expect to be announced. I mean: Yes, if Nintendo would reveal a brandnew big 2D DK game, FE4 remake, new Tomodatchi Life, Metroid Prime 4 and new Pokemon remakes all for 2024 on Switch 1 - then I was wrong, because then Switch will have a very great year 2024. But I highly doubt that this will happen. My estimation is: H2 will also rely mostly on ports or remakes and thats all. Add some smaller games like new Pushmo or other games comparable to Another Code-/Endless Ocean-range and then we most probably have our rest lineup

Twilight Princess HD
Pokken Tournament
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions
Paper Mario CS
Starfox Zero + Guard
Mario and Sonic at Rio
BotW

I don't think you can compare the Wii U here. Like, what did the Wii U transition from in its last year? From lackluster to lackluster? The Switch is coming of a great wave of support into a slightly more calm final year. And while it rarely results in productive discussion, let me look at the individual games here: Twilight Princess as an old game, Pokken a weird fighting game nobody asked for, TMS, well, reception was terrible, Paper Mario Color Splash was another Paper Mario not like the Paper Mario people wanted for so long, StarFox Zero was a disaster and nobody cared about Mario and Sonic, another Olympics-cash in. BotW was a Switch-title for all intents and purposes.

Compare that to the Switch-titles people have been mentioning:
- Endless Ocean 3, a full-blown sequel to a niche, but beloved franchise that nobody expected to ever see again
- Paper Mario 2 remaster, of all the remasters, the one that people actually wished for since years ago
- Pokemon Legends 2, sequel to the best Pokemon-game in two decades, a bonafide big title
- possibly another Fire Emblem-game, a franchise that's only been getting more popular
- and Metroid Prime 4, another bonafide big title in the coming

So even if we were to compare Wii U and Switch 1 and their last year, Switch 1 ends up looking way better imo.

No I do NOT - because I already include the Switch 1 titles into my assumptiom that I expect to be announced. I mean: Yes, if Nintendo would reveal a brandnew big 2D DK game, FE4 remake, new Tomodatchi Life, Metroid Prime 4 and new Pokemon remakes all for 2024 on Switch 1 - then I was wrong, because then Switch will have a very great year 2024. But I highly doubt that this will happen. My estimation is: H2 will also rely mostly on ports or remakes and thats all. Add some smaller games like new Pushmo or other games comparable to Another Code-/Endless Ocean-range and then we most probably have our rest lineup
That line up has not been revealed, so your estimations or assumptions mean nothing. WiiU had 7 games announced for an entire year, while Switch already has 6 games announced in 6 months with far superior 3rd party support. Nothing announced for 2nd half at all. Pokemon ZA and Metroid Prime 4 are also announced for Switch. The only thing we can do is wait and see

I don't think you can compare the Wii U here. Like, what did the Wii U transition from in its last year? From lackluster to lackluster? The Switch is coming of a great wave of support into a slightly more calm final year. And while it rarely results in productive discussion, let me look at the individual games here: Twilight Princess as an old game, Pokken a weird fighting game nobody asked for, TMS, well, reception was terrible, Paper Mario Color Splash was another Paper Mario not like the Paper Mario people wanted for so long, StarFox Zero was a disaster and nobody cared about Mario and Sonic, another Olympics-cash in. BotW was a Switch-title for all intents and purposes.

Compare that to the Switch-titles people have been mentioning:
- Endless Ocean 3, a full-blown sequel to a niche, but beloved franchise that nobody expected to ever see again
- Paper Mario 2 remaster, of all the remasters, the one that people actually wished for since years ago
- Pokemon Legends 2, sequel to the best Pokemon-game in two decades, a bonafide big title
- possibly another Fire Emblem-game, a franchise that's only been getting more popular
- and Metroid Prime 4, another bonafide big title in the coming

So even if we were to compare Wii U and Switch 1 and their last year, Switch 1 ends up looking way better imo.

Sales wise, a game like Pokken that 'nobody asked for' will be stronger then Endless Ocean 3 and Another Code together. Pokemon Legends 2 and Metroid Prime 4 have together the spot that BotW alone had for WiiU. Paper Mario is already present on Switch and Mario RPG remake released a few months ago, now we will get the next Mario RPG/Paper Mario remake. I dont think that this more 'worth' than Twilight Princess HD was back in 2016 (TP was the best selling Zelda game till this time) So to be honest, I dont see a much more attractive Switch exclusiv lineup in 2024/2025 than WiiU had in 2016/2017. And as I said: WiiU was a big failure, Switch is a great success. The exclusiv lineup of the latter should be multiple times better by default than it was for WiiU in the final year. I think this is not a great gap

Twilight Princess HD
Pokken Tournament
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions
Paper Mario CS
Starfox Zero + Guard
Mario and Sonic at Rio
BotW

A key difference is Switch has VASTLY more third party games...and we only know First party thru June. Also most those Wii U games had pretty poor reception. TMS, Star Fox and Color Splash were flops with poor fan reception and pretty average-mixed reviews...well #FE did good with critics at least. Sonic just..existed

We have from January onwards for third party for Switch 2024...

Prince Of Persia Lost Crown
Monnter Hunter Stories
Unicorn Overlord
Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance
Contra Operation Galuga
Tales of Kenzara: Zau
Epic Mickey Rebrushed
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble
Sonic Generations X Shadow
Decapolice
Fantasy Life i: The Girl who steals time
SaGA Emerald Beyond
EA FC 2025
MLB The Show 24
Little Nightmares lll
World of Goo 2
Ace Combat 7
Grounded
Etc.

Along with several big-Huge TBA or 2025 games(Layton, Silksong, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Legends ZA, Dragon Quest lll-HD 2D etc.)

That's better third party then ANY Wii U year and probably most 3DS years too at least outside Japan. Multiple exclusives or day and date multiplats.

And crucially there are a ton of evergreens on top of the third party support.

Switch is poised to have around a dozen first party million sellers this year/FY just with evergreens let alone factoring in new or third party games. Heck it probably will sell as much software as Wii U did lifetime this CY/FY.

Its really not comparable to Wii U-Switch and outside BOTW the transition will easily be far better in sales, fan reception, first party and overall support for the last year as well as post succesor release support.

Although given BOTW was crossgen most people only cared about the Switch Version...

Last edited:
Yes 3rd party and multi support for Switch is way better then it ever was for WiiU (or even for 3DS) - this is pretty sure. This is also one of the main reasons why Switch sales will NOT drop like a rock in 2024 or 2025 as Wii or DS sales did. But if we only focus and talk about exclusive games (and this was the starting point of our recent discussion), then I really think that H2 2024 will also rely very heavenly on ports, remaster and smaller games. So I dont expect many big sellers or high-effort exclusive games to be released on Switch 1. Pokemon Legends and/or Metroid Prime 4 could be the big outliners, but I think at least one of them will be crossgen and will be promoted for Switch 2 mainly. Due to this, I definetly do NOT expect a new big 2D DK plattforming game for Switch 1 or another Pokemon remakes or stuff like this. As I said in another thread: All exclusiv games remaining for Switch 1 will be in the 2M-5M seller range and thats all. So I dont think we will see any exclusive big seller still coming to Switch 1. This train should have left and Nintendo will for sure save their big guns for Switch 2 now

Is this the time for Nintendo to do some price adjustments this holiday to align for Switch 2? I honestly think that could be the biggest pusher this holiday with still a holiday release. Oled turns 3 this holiday, maybe even discontinue the standard Switch model after this holiday.

Is this the time for Nintendo to do some price adjustments this holiday to align for Switch 2? I honestly think that could be the biggest pusher this holiday with still a holiday release. Oled turns 3 this holiday, maybe even discontinue the standard Switch model after this holiday.
It’s gonna really depend on the margins for the various devices. If the margins remain thin then I doubt it for OLED. I doubt they discontinue the OG model since the margins are seemingly good for that one.

Twilight Princess HD
Pokken Tournament
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions
Paper Mario CS
Starfox Zero + Guard
Mario and Sonic at Rio
BotW

Thats why context matter when u are talking rather then taking an incomplete data to compare with complete data of the past.

Those looks better is pure dream. Anyone who experienced and run through of Wii U era call that release as bad games over bad games with non stop negativity that spread even till Switch launch. Remember how many said Switch won't even sell 20m?
TMS is seen as blasphemy title to both SMT and FE fans and the games flop so badly that it can't even get compared to Mario Vs DK remake.

Paper Mario is spitted and drag around the mud by many vocal PM fans. Anyone who try to argue that CS has more potential in sales over upcoming TTYD remake games is just doing another bad comparison.

SF Zero got bad reception the moment the game is announced to use Gamepad as sole way to control the game+ all the other gimmick copter and Guard games that many still call it as Freedy Friday clone.

So from all of those. Only 1 BoTW which released at same time as Switch, Pokken (Pokemon Spin off) and a single remastered Zelda game.

In what world does those title even come close to what Switch already have this year? Games being remake does not make them negative point. FF7 got remake and it certainly sold more than brand new FF16.(FF7R1 in this case) Mario RPG remake is outselling all new Paper Mario games. And TTYD certainly will have chance to outsell Sticker Stars as well.

We are talking momentum going to Switch 2 and anyone arguing that Switch is not doing good going to Switch 2 is just making alternate reality. It may be better sure if Switch 2 hit end of this year. But another 3 months is not going to kill Switch momentum especially as sales reality has shown that it certainly is not dieing anytime soon.

Yes 3rd party and multi support for Switch is way better then it ever was for WiiU (or even for 3DS) - this is pretty sure. This is also one of the main reasons why Switch sales will NOT drop like a rock in 2024 or 2025 as Wii or DS sales did. But if we only focus and talk about exclusive games (and this was the starting point of our recent discussion), then I really think that H2 2024 will also rely very heavenly on ports, remaster and smaller games. So I dont expect many big sellers or high-effort exclusive games to be released on Switch 1. Pokemon Legends and/or Metroid Prime 4 could be the big outliners, but I think at least one of them will be crossgen and will be promoted for Switch 2 mainly. Due to this, I definetly do NOT expect a new big 2D DK plattforming game for Switch 1 or another Pokemon remakes or stuff like this. As I said in another thread: All exclusiv games remaining for Switch 1 will be in the 2M-5M seller range and thats all. So I dont think we will see any exclusive big seller still coming to Switch 1. This train should have left and Nintendo will for sure save their big guns for Switch 2 now

This is all fine but it is March. H2 is still 3 months out. Even if they were going to launch a giant franchise or big gmae in H2 we would only be hearing about it in April or May at the earliest. There is no way for us to know what is upcoming. We can guess it wont be a game in some of the mega franchises but that doesn't say much. I also wouldn't call anything in the 5M range a small seller. It isn't 8 figures but that's still a lot of units.

If we can believe what the western third party studios leaked about Nintendo recently, telling them that the Switch 2 is delayed to 2025. It shows that this delay was unplanned and that Nintendo until recently had planned for the holiday 2024 period to be filled with Switch 2. So games they release late 2024 now will just be improvisations due to the delay of the Switch 2, games that they can easily port over to Switch like Twillight Princess HD. Its impossible to know what Nintendo will release this year because the Switch 2 was planned for a late 2024 release and everything they did until the delay was confirmed was in service of that release date. Now they only have improvisations until next year instead.

So none of this year is part of some kind of ''Grand strategy'' from Nintendo, the reality is just that their system is delayed to next year and they just have to make that situation work as good as possible.

If we can believe what the western third party studios leaked about Nintendo recently, telling them that the Switch 2 is delayed to 2025. It shows that this delay was unplanned and that Nintendo until recently had planned for the holiday 2024 period to be filled with Switch 2. So games they release late 2024 now will just be improvisations due to the delay of the Switch 2, games that they can easily port over to Switch like Twillight Princess HD. Its impossible to know what Nintendo will release this year because the Switch 2 was planned for a late 2024 release and everything they did until the delay was confirmed was in service of that release date. Now they only have improvisations until next year instead.

So none of this year is part of some kind of ''Grand strategy'' from Nintendo, the reality is just that their system is delayed to next year and they just have to make that situation work as good as possible.

I agree to you. But maybe they had already planned some bigger Switch 1 titles for holiday 2024 nevertheless, because they still wanted to support it simultaneously to Switch 2. In this case. we could still get some noticeable games in H2

so you are basing your judgment on the company on rumors, but only the one that support your "big-trouble" point of view?

because following rumors, Nintendo should have ready/working on for Switch 1

- Fire Emblem 4 remake (million seller)
- Metroid Prime 2HD - Metroid Prime 3HD (sub million sellers, imho)
- Pokemon B/W remake (5+ million seller)

on top of

- Metroid Prime 4 (officially announced as a Switch game - 3 million seller like Dread, I suppose?)
- Pokemon Legends Z-A (officially announced as a Switch game for 2025 - 10+ million seller based on 15mil Arceus, I suppose?)

all of these after 3 possible million sellers in H1 2024

- Mario vs DK (1mil?)
- Paper Mario (2mil? Origami King at 3.47mil, Mario RPG at 3.12mil)
- Luigi 2 HD (2mil? Luigi 3 is at 14mil!)

all of this after Nintendo officially releasing these 3 already-confirmed games in H1 2024 AFTER the rumors of the supposed Switch 2 delay spreading online

so the question is

- why the Switch 2 (a never announced nor confirmed nor cited by Nintendo console) delay rumors are more reliable than the software ones?
- why shouldn't we consider also the 3 additional (multi) million seller rumored games being ready for a 2024 release?
- why shouldn't we consider the 2 multimillion already announced sellers game?
why would Nintendo plan a game per month in the H1 2024, with a game officially slated for 2025, leaving the H2 2024 completely barren and empty if they don't have anything else to be released?

so you are basing your judgment on the company on rumors, but only the one that support your "big-trouble" point of view?

on top of

- Metroid Prime 4 (officially announced as a Switch game - 3 million seller like Dread, I suppose?)
- Pokemon Legends Z-A (officially announced as a Switch game for 2025 - 10+ million seller based on 15mil Arceus, I suppose?)

- Mario vs DK (1mil?)

all of this after Nintendo officially releasing these 3 already-confirmed games in H1 2024 AFTER the rumors of the supposed Switch 2 delay spreading online

so the question is

- why the Switch 2 (a never announced nor confirmed nor cited by Nintendo console) delay rumors are more reliable than the software ones?
- why shouldn't we consider also the 3 additional (multi) million seller rumored games being ready for a 2024 release?
- why shouldn't we consider the 2 multimillion already announced sellers game?
why would Nintendo plan a game per month in the H1 2024, with a game officially slated for 2025, leaving the H2 2024 completely barren and empty if they don't have anything else to be released?
My point is that some titles late this year will be titles they originally didn't plan to release this year but now has to be released because of the delay of the Switch 2, so Twillight Princess HD could fill that role for example. Pokemon i don't expect anything this year because that would have been presented on the Pokemon presents. And if Nintendo originally planned a cross gen release of Metroid Prime 4 late 2024 now that can be moved to only being a Switch release. So Nintendo has the means to make the most of this year even though as i said their original strategy for the year was Switch 2 in late 2024, so nothing is grand strategy here from Nintendo's side, they would have killed to get the Switch 2 ready for the holiday period.

This is the kind of "no-lose" assuming that doesn't really work, IMO. If they don't have anything, proof of their big trouble. If they do have something, they rushed to get it out because of the delay, proof of their big trouble.

Like your spinning the narrative that Nintendo is panicking no matter what

This is the kind of "no-lose" assuming that doesn't really work, IMO. If they don't have anything, proof of their big trouble. If they do have something, they rushed to get it out because of the delay, proof of their big trouble.

Like your spinning the narrative that Nintendo is panicking no matter what
In no way am i arguing that Nintendo is panicking. I just take odds with the notion that Nintendo has this year 100 % planned out well in advance when we know from credible rumours that the Switch 2 was delayed from 2024 to 2025, if those rumours are true naturally some games that will be ported over to Switch this year will be the product of improvisation on Nintendo's part to fill out their release schedule for this year. You can't simply pretend that the whole Switch 2 situation hasn't happened that pretty massively changes Nintendo's plans for 2024.

Say Nintendo's original plan according to the whole delay situation is true, Nintendo planned a Switch 2 and a new 3D Mario game as their holiday title in 2024, that means that they now have to find a new holiday title to fill out the 2024 holiday period, for example.

on top of

- Mario vs DK (1mil?)

The fact that you only mention some other remakes and ports on the possible 2024 release list, represents exactly my concern and disappointment for this year

The fact that you only mention some other remakes and ports on the possible 2024 release list, represents exactly my concern and disappointment for this year
I disagree: Fire Emblem is basically a new franchise that started on the 3ds (or with Three Houses really) for the Switch audience so a modern remake that's basically an actual sequel to Three Houses instead of whatever Engage was trying to be would be that mid sized game I'd expect Nintendo to still have for the Switch.

Imho FE as a franchise has a lot of potential, more than Prime 4 for example (assuming it's still an eccentric "fpa")

Edit: the way to Metroid as a mainstream franchise is Dark Souls with sci fi and lasers instead of medieval castles and swords

In no way am i arguing that Nintendo is panicking. I just take odds with the notion that Nintendo has this year 100 % planned out well in advance when we know from credible rumours that the Switch 2 was delayed from 2024 to 2025, if those rumours are true naturally some games that will be ported over to Switch this year will be the product of improvisation on Nintendo's part to fill out their release schedule for this year. You can't simply pretend that the whole Switch 2 situation hasn't happened that pretty massively changes Nintendo's plans for 2024.

Say Nintendo's original plan according to the whole delay situation is true, Nintendo planned a Switch 2 and a new 3D Mario game as their holiday title in 2024, that means that they now have to find a new holiday title to fill out the 2024 holiday period, for example.

A new 3D mario would have nothing to do with Switch. That would be a switch 2 title, hence a possible holiday game for switch would anyway be something else.

A new 3D mario would have nothing to do with Switch. That would be a switch 2 title, hence a possible holiday game for switch would anyway be something else.

If Switch 2 would have BC, then a big Switch 1 holiday title would also be a big Switch 2 holiday title as well ;) So I agree to his opinion: I highly doubt that Nintendo would have planned a big Switch 1 holiday game if Switch 2 would also launch at this time with a 3D Mario simultaneously

If Switch 2 would have BC, then a big Switch 1 holiday title would also be a big Switch 2 holiday title as well ;) So I agree to his opinion: I highly doubt that Nintendo would have planned a big Switch 1 holiday game if Switch 2 would also launch at this time with a 3D Mario simultaneously

A new 3D mario would be exclusive to Switch 2. That would be there to drive adoption of the new platform.

Maybe if Metroid Prime 4 was planned for a cross gen release for december and that then have been delayed.

Back
Top Bottom