• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo is going into next gen with a lot of momentum... and still several cards to play

switch-family-fr

As we slowly go into 2024 and a new era for Nintendo with the expected arrival of its next platform, it is the perfect time to sit and think about Nintendo's current position in the gaming landscape.

Exceptional momentum

2023 was supposed to be a pivotal year for Nintendo. It is the year that marked the company's expansion in Movies, with its most iconic brand, and the launch of the much anticipated sequel of Breath of the Wild.

mario-movie-and-zelda-totk.jpg

So on the one hand, you had a big unknown despite Mario and Illumination's pedigree. On the other hand, you had one of your master cards, the follow-up to a breakthrough hard to dissociate to the Switch success story itself.

April: From Mister Videogame to Mister Movie?

The Super Mario Movie project was in the works for several years. As you well know, Nintendo's first foray into the movie scene was a failure. It pushed the company to pull the plug on that initiative and encouraged them to keep a tighter leesh on their IPs.

When their partnership with Illumination was announced, it both raised financial hopes and concerns. The studio was famous for both its BO successes (The Minions, Despicable Me...) and its critical shortcomings.

Saying that the anticipation and apprehension was high before the first trailer of the movie would be an understatement. It eventually happened through a dedicated Direct (a great symbol of the synergies between Nintendo's gaming culture and its movie initiatives).

I could go on and on about the Movie's roaring success but it is a topic for another day. What's certain is that the movie grossed $1.3B worldwide, and expanded Nintendo/Mario reach beyond what gaming can offer.

It was the first punch, in April, that would put Nintendo's business into an exceptional shape during that quarter and generate ton of momentum.

May: Tears of the Kingdom

Breath of the Wild was a breakthrough for The Legend of Zelda series, far exceeding previous entries. During the 6+ years gap, it continued to sell steadily from less than 3m units in its launch quarter to more than 10 times that amount.

Expectations were high for its direct sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, as fans waited impatiently for years as Nintendo slowly revealed more detail on the latest entry.

xS4OINI.png

(Credits to Peleo, numbers by the end of 2022)​

However, there were some questions too, the novelty factor faded away and the Switch was just entering its 7th year on the market by showing more and more signs of its aging hardware. How important Tears of the Kingdom would really be for Nintendo ?

It didn't take much time for the answer to come, from the launch of a special OLED edition, to the actual launch and Nintendo's official PR only two weeks passed by.

cj0smqauxn0b1.jpg

FwWUlzJWYAEww2E.jpg:large

Tears of the Kingdom managed the extremely difficult feat of matching BotW's critical reception, set a record for launch sales for Nintendo during one of the calmest month of the year (most records were set in the Holidays previously) and of boosting hardware more than 6 years after its launch:

9146954b94c829764cea9e9e628e177a

Zelda significantly raised the Switch baseline, defying cyclical decline

Switch sales rose worldwide during the quarter, to reach a very strong 3.91M units during Mario & Zelda launch quarter, a 12% growth YoY and simply the biggest outside of the Covid boost in 2020/2021. It puts Nintendo into a very comfortable position to reach their 15M forecast for the whole fiscal year since already 26% of the target is reached.

Even if it utlimately slowed down, at least on the hardware front, the momentum is very strong for an ecosystem that old and the reveal (+ now launch) of Super Mario Wonder confirmed that Nintendo would ride this wave throughout the Holiday season. They are therefore ending 2023 in a very favorable position.

So, with 2-3 significant launches in 2023, did Nintendo blow off their load and is going into 2024 empty handed ?

947508-paper-mario.jpg

A remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was Nintendo's biggest announcement during September 2023's Nintendo Direct
We are currently mostly in the dark on the pipeline front. Games are key to have a successful hardware transition, it was abundantely clear for the Switch itself, so what could Nintendo really be preparing for its next console launch window ?
2017-2024: Waiting for Mario

It might sound ludicrous, given the amount of Mario related content we got since April 2023, between the movie, a new 2D Mario, a new Peach subseries coming this March, and a meaty slate of remakes. However, there's Mario and Mario, and for Nintendo, two Mario subseries are treated very specially. Those two Mario subseries have been mostly dormant since 2017, at the exception of new (but mainly outsourced) content between 2021 and 2023.

maxresdefault.jpg

For waiting right ? (excerpt of the final Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pass credit scene, November 2023)
Mario Kart and 3D Mario have been two of the biggest cards of Nintendo's playbook:

• The Mario Kart franchise has hit incredibly massive mainstream appeal ever since its shift to 3D. However, ever since the DS/Wii, the franchise reached new heights, being the best-selling games on every Nintendo platform ever since (3DS, WiiU, Switch).
  • For 3D Mario, the return to the sandbox formula combined with the Switch's incredible success has put the subseries to a new level. Trailers of Super Mario Odyssey remain, to this point, the most watched for a Nintendo game (55M for the reveal trailer, 41M for the E3 one in Nintendo of America YT account).

Those two massive assets for Nintendo, among the top 5 of best-selling Switch games with 57m units sold for Mario Kart and 27m for Odyssey (as of September 2023), are however pretty much dormant every since. The studios behind these games have not released a new console game since June 2017 (ARMS from the MK team) and October 2017 (Odyssey, from EPD Tokyo). There have been some work done tho, as mentioned before.

They are two of the cards, on Nintendo's sleeves, to deliver a smooth and exciting transition. For Mario Kart, the anticipation is even grander since 8 initially launched in 2014.

2023 : Pivotal year for big Western IPs ?

Funnily enough, it is partially when the Switch entered its last years (and with PS5/Xbox gaining momentum) that the signs for upcoming and meaningful Western 3rd party support were the clearest.

ea-sports-fc-24-preo.jpg

mxIC3LtMR3tG5s0l8VoygoE0.png

Call-of-Duty-2024.jpg

• The latest FIFA entry, called EA FC 24, has been moved to the Frostbite engine after years of Legacy support (since 2019)
  • Hogwarts Legacy, 2023's highest selling game, has been released on Switch despite initially being PS5/XB/PC only, a clear sign of the effort invested in order to make the port happen. Sales of the game on Switch have been extremely strong since its launch.
  • As the ABK acquisition closed this year, it is now confirmed that Call of Duty will make its grand return on Nintendo console(s) next year after a decade+ of nothing.

While the reasons behind each of these Switch ports are different, it does position the upcoming platform into a very favorable position. They won't get everything, but they'll get the games that matter the most for mainstream audiences (with GaaS support being also strong). The only remaining member of the holy trifeca, which carried the PS/Xbox since the PS3/X360 era, is Grand Theft Auto. Its presence or absence will have an impact for 2025 sales and beyond.

gta-vi-questions.jpg

GTA VI is a big question mark, with a 2025 release date, it is ideally placed to generate momentum for a new console, only a dream ?
A few risks

• Risk of delay - while the mometum is very strong for a console that old, the Switch still slowed down significantly this Holiday season despite the release of Super Mario Bros. Wonder. If the successor slips to 2025 (because software isn't ready for instance), then 2024 might be a big struggle.​

• Pricing - The Nintendo Switch released in 2017 at 299$/330€/32.980Y but since then, there has been a big inflation happening and the OLED (which is a bit more expensive) is still the model with the lower margins. An increase is therefore expected, at the risk of cutting a part of Nintendo's audience. The low Yen might also make the jump higher in Japan, which would threathen domestic sales (on which several 1st/3rd party franchises on Switch relied on). The way they'll handle the Switch after its successor launches will be a key aspect to make the smooth transition they are looking for.​

• No new Zelda game for a while - Tears of the Kindgom released in 2023 with a 6 years gap with Breath of the Wild. This is one of Nintendo's biggest assets both comercially and critically, putting the franchise in the league of other huge hardware movers. This also fills a big hole in Nintendo's library, with very few open world games coming from 3rd party publishers (those don't usually scale down well on lower powered devices). So when will the new open air Zelda release ? Probably not before 2028, and that's with Aonuma confirming that no DLC will release for Tears.​

To conclude, it does seem like Nintendo is potentially in a very good position to launch a new platform in 2024. 2023 is ending on a high note for the firm, which closed the year at the highest market cap of its whole history. Confidence is high but I'd like to take this occasions to ask you, in your opinion, how Nintendo could ensure the best transition possible, and how could it solve the risks I mentioned and/or the ones you have in mind ?

2024 will be a very exciting year
for that very reason, speculating and ultimately knowing Nintendo's grand plan for a very important "smooth transition".

nintendo-future-hardware-scaled.jpg

the problem with Sluggers is that it doesn't have a dev attached to it now. it was made by Bamco and I think Nintendo wants to keep them on more lucrative games and Camelot on Golf and Tennis (which could be Camelot's own volition)

Namco transitioned into a Sports collection on 3DS, they could do that on Switch maybe. I still think they might give Sluggers a go though since they brought back Strikers too.

the problem with Sluggers is that it doesn't have a dev attached to it now. it was made by Bamco and I think Nintendo wants to keep them on more lucrative games and Camelot on Golf and Tennis (which could be Camelot's own volition)

I think, that a baseballgame is not so universal like Football, Tennis or Golf.
In Europa, Baseball is nearly non existent.

Mobapad put up a full english article (wtf they doing?! lol).

I'm quoting the entire thing in case it goes down:

We, like everyone else, are eagerly anticipating accurate information about the Switch 2!
In the process of developing the next-generation console controller, Mobapad has also acquired a lot of firsthand information about the Switch 2, and now we're here to share it with everyone.
hq720_480x480.jpg

1. The Switch 2 will continue to support existing Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller, still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motors for HD rumble.
  2. The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.
  3. The new version of Joy-Con has a larger volume, and the sliding rail structure has been changed to magnetic suction. The SL and SR buttons are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is achieved through electromagnetic suction technology, controlled by electric current. It's worth noting that, in addition to the L, ZL, R, and ZR buttons on the sides of the Joy-Con controller, a third button has been added on both the left and right sides.
Additionally, below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button!
  1. The bottom of the Switch 2 will still feature a USB-C port for docking, and the new generation dock will undergo minor changes in appearance while enhancing performance, supporting 4K resolution.
  2. The new dock will feature a damping bracket on the back, allowing for a greater range of adjustable angles.
  3. The screen will be upgraded to an 8-inch display, supporting 1080P resolution.
    640_480x480.webp
These are just some of the hardware information we've got, and not the full extent.
From a hardware perspective, the Switch 2 inherits the dual-mode feature of its predecessor, continuing Nintendo's conservative approach to hardware.

Reflecting on Nintendo's history, from the original FC to the groundbreaking GB series, followed by the NDS, 3DS series, and the Wii, Wii U, and finally the Switch, the company has always adhered to the concept of creating unique entertainment experiences.

We have every reason to believe that Nintendo will bring more innovative gameplay to the Switch 2, as seen in the advancements in the controller design.

For example, what functions will the third button on the side of the controller serve? What special features will the additional button below the HOME button offer? There is much room for imagination, and while we don't know yet, there are certainly new features and gameplay innovations to anticipate!

We welcome everyone to join us in speculating and discussing.

Mobapad is actively developing next-generation console peripherals, aiming to provide customer with better product experiences as soon as possible, while continuing to support product upgrade services.

We remain committed to solving customer problems, maintaining a drive for continuous innovation, and providing users with better products and services!
Follow our Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/mobapad
Follow our YouTube page:https://www.youtube.com/@mobapadofficial/videos

This doesn’t excite me much. I mean a bigger screen was expected but could have easily been a Switch XL revision too. Magnetic attachments are fine too but not something I’m excited about. I think this isn’t the full story. I’m hoping for a second screen.

FAFO I guess is their motto rn.
This doesn’t excite me much. I mean a bigger screen was expected but could have easily been a Switch XL revision too. Magnetic attachments are fine too but not something I’m excited about. I think this isn’t the full story. I’m hoping for a second screen.
There is no second screen. From all of what we know this seems to be an iterative device on a new node so never was gonna be a revision.

As I've said before, I think Nintendo and second screens are done for good, it's not new or unique or innovative anymore and would only serve to unnecessarily increase the price of the hardware (which is already expected to be fairly expensive even without a 2nd screen)

Honestly more excited about the prospect of the additional back buttons than anything else.

Last edited:
Why would there be a second screen? And how exactly would that help the console succeed?

I just wish Nintendo would take advantage of their Nintendo app more to fill the second screen gap for games where it makes sense. Make it optional functionality to have maps or touch screen interfaces for things like Mario Maker quickly accessible.

I have never been overly exxagerating my approach to Switch 2 topic, butbsurely I hope and think they should take June Direct seriously

Or to anticipate the topic, or to unveil meaningful software support to Switch in the H2 2024

at this point, it's clear that their info is questionable at best. if it's true, they don't have details and are getting it from someone else. if fake, well this is a lot more people knowing their name, increasing their sellability when they do put out (unlicensed) accessories

I just wish Nintendo would take advantage of their Nintendo app more to fill the second screen gap for games where it makes sense. Make it optional functionality to have maps or touch screen interfaces for things like Mario Maker quickly accessible.
Yeah, there's no need to build a second screen into the hardware itself when Nintendo can easily take advantage of the second screen that's already in everyone's pockets.

Of course that assumes Nintendo is still interested in second screen experiences, which I doubt they are anymore

I think, that a baseballgame is not so universal like Football, Tennis or Golf.
In Europa, Baseball is nearly non existent.
While true, I think the sheer scale of Baseball in both America and Japan is still enough to justify the existence of Mario Baseball.

Hell, you could probably push the fold a bit and extend it from just being Baseball, but instead to cover both of the major "safe-haven" sports with the addition of Cricket. You could even have side modes for other popular safe-haven games like softball, rounders or Baseball5. This would allow the game to have the ability to appeal to a lot of regions:
  • the USA and Canada - mostly through baseball, and potentially softball
  • Japan and South Korea - almost entirely through baseball
  • the UK and Ireland - through cricket, and potentially rounders
  • the Caribbean - through baseball and cricket (Hispanophone countries preferring baseball, and Anglophone ones preferring Cricket)
  • Australia, New Zealand and Southern Africa - through cricket
  • the Indian subcontinent - also through cricket, but this area in particular is one with very minimal Nintendo presence at the moment and a huge potential growth area for Nintendo
Looking at the above the only major markets that Nintendo has a significant presence in atm that wouldn't have much interest are: continental Europe (with the notable exception of the Netherlands, where Cricket is fairly popular), the Chinese speaking nations (PRC, HK and Taiwan) and South America - but I think the potential gains from having Mario play the most popular past-time for a region of just under 2 billion people outweighs not being a sure-fire hit amongst these regions.

All I'm hoping for is a more powerful version of the current Switch. I love Nintendo but I can honestly do without the super wacky hardware gimmicks, I just want to play a video game not a Nintendo branded Bop It.

Can someone explain to me why would Mobapad, which is apparently an accessories maker for Nintendo consoles, would want to nuke their relationship with Nintendo from orbit by leaking this stuff?

I cannot find a good reason.

Can someone explain to me why would Mobapad, which is apparently an accessories maker for Nintendo consoles, would want to nuke their relationship with Nintendo from orbit by leaking this stuff?

simple, they never had a relationship so there's nothing to lose. even if they were lying, they'd gain exposure to hawk their eventual unlicensed products

Perhaps Nintendo rejected/scrapped some project with them and they decided to get revenge and some free marketing/attention at the same time?

Could just be that they are led by an arrogant fool who can't shut up. We've seen plenty of that happening lately...

Them just making things up is fairly likely as well or simply knowing someone else who does know things.

Seems like the article is listed under "reviews" so could very well just be some rando using that to make it seem like the article comes from some sort of official source.
That besides the writing of the article giving me strong AI vibes.

Seems like the article is listed under "reviews" so could very well just be some rando using that to make it seem like the article comes from some sort of official source.
That besides the writing of the article giving me strong AI vibes.

It definitely reads like translated through AI. Still, the same article was originally posted on their Facebook page (then modified to edit those details out) and it's still up on their billibilli page in Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom