• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo FY3/2022 Q3 Earnings Release, Switch Hardware Q3 - 10.67M ( -7.78% YoY), 103.54M LTD

They more than doubled it in less than two years. Very impressive.
Yep. Most of the growth was in the first year though, so it's a good idea to start boosting the package by providing a new type of perk. I think the "DLC for free" strategy is a smart one. Nintendo is very reliant on full game sales and doesn't like microtransactions and other free-to-play strategies. Offering paid extras in a game breaks the immersion, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was internal resistance to DLC as well. Providing DLC as free perk for subscribers is a great way to remove that immersion breaker, while increasing cash flow, revenue predictability/overview, and creating a microtransaction-free way to provide GaaS content.

It's not Microsoft level dedication, since they offer full games for free with Game Pass, but I think this is an excellent additional revenue stream for Nintendo that will attract a lot of new subscribers (and also upgrades to the Expansion Pack).

Regional Breakdown after Q3 FY 2021-22

Nintendo-Regional-Stats.png

Hardware FY 21-22 versus FY 21-20 after three quarters.
Japan : 4.32m < 5.44m
America's : 6.84m < 9.05m
Europe : 5.40m < 6.28m
Other : 2.38m < 3.33m
Global : 18.95m < 24.10m

Software FY 21-22 versus FY 21-20 after three quarters

Japan :
30.98m < 31.69m
America's : 84.64m > 79.54m
Europe : 50.85m < 52.38m
Other : 12.83m > 12.50m
Global : 179.29m > 176.10m

Tie Ratio FY 21-22 versus FY 21-20 after three quarters

Japan :
7.17 > 5.83
America's : 12.37 > 8.79
Europe : 9.42 > 8.34
Other : 5.39 > 3.75
Global : 9.46 > 7.31

Last edited:
Is there a full, worldwide (or regional) breakdown of sales for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe by country or something? 43 million owners is a lot!

It's also interesting to meet & play people online outside of the U.S. through Worldwide mode from online play. :)

Last edited:
- Nintendo retail software revenue: Retail 1st party revenue + Retail 3rd party royalties
- Nintendo digital software revenue: Digital 1st party revenue + Digital 3rd party royalties

- Sony retail software revenue: Retail 1st party revenue + Retail 3rd party royalties
- Sony digital software revenue: Digital 1st party revenue + Digital 3rd party revenue
Profit is a better measure because of this, and then we have the digital, Nintendo only counts digital games which have physical counterparts, sony counts all digital games.

Is there a full, worldwide (or regional) breakdown of sales for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe by country or something? 43 million owners is a lot!

It's also interesting to meet & play people online outside of the U.S. through Worldwide mode from online play. :)
At most you can track down the split between Japan and Oversea sales in each quarters (So just Japan and the rest of the world really) That's about it though, unless Nintendo decides to share that data one day.

Best we have is JP vs OS as P.Scoop mentioned. I posted a split for some Switch Top Sellers in the other thread, quoting here:

Switch Evergreens - Japan vs. Overseas*

FuoT9He.png

*FY2021 3 of 4 quarters

Cross your fingers that Splatoon 2 crosses 1M this quarter and makes the list!

BOTW continues to outperform everything outside of MK8D/ACNH outside of Japan. It'll cross 25M this year (soon if we include Wii U), and 30M in a couple of years. And even in Japan, its starting to seem like it'll leg up to 4M. In the US, I think BOTW2 will have a good shot at topping SSBU's 3.65M exclusive physical launch record (depends more on timing within the tracked month than anything else).

SMO will make it to 3M in JP and crossed 20M outside of JP!

MK8D on the verge of passing 40M outside of Japan and cruising to >7M in Japan, higher than that is dependent on sequel timing.

LGPE super steady, should ship another 1.2M this FY outside of JP.

ACNH is about half a year away from crossing 30M outside of Japan. Unsurprisingly, legs have more life overseas than in JP - it will probably chart for a decade.

Thanks to @DeekeTweak

FL4ThkhXoAINPCl

Highlights:
• $6 billion net sales
• $2.19 billion operating income
• $1.7 billion profit
• $5.9 billion games revenues
• $3.18 billion made from hardware sales (54%)
• $2.7 billion from software sales (46%)

FL4lQLEWQAQgjAg

FL4lRf2XEAI5lTX

FL4rRNYX0AEjmZu

FL4rqo_XwAEXIao

Thanks to @DeekeTweak

FL4ThkhXoAINPCl

Highlights:
• $6 billion net sales
• $2.19 billion operating income
• $1.7 billion profit
• $5.9 billion games revenues
• $3.18 billion made from hardware sales (54%)
• $2.7 billion from software sales (46%)

FL4lQLEWQAQgjAg

FL4lRf2XEAI5lTX

FL4rRNYX0AEjmZu

FL4rqo_XwAEXIao

Looks great! Slight typo though. Switch Lite totals are 17.87 million, not 1.87 million.

So even though Switch shipped 0.90m less than last holiday (10.67m versus 11.57m) it actually sold more to customers? Does this mean in 2020 Nintendo overshipped for the holidays? Seems a litle weird.

I think a better interpretation would be that Nintendo undershipped in 2021, specifically in North America, due to the supply constraints

Too new/young to make new threads, so I think this is the best fit for a place to share this. I was noticing how recent Switch software numbers are higher than has been the case for any individual Nintendo system in the past. Of course, I remembered that the situation in the past wasn't quite comparable with two lines living side by side for decades, so I decided to look at some past generation combinations. It's entirely unrealistic in that I just added Q1 for one system to Q1 for another even if they launched years apart, but it keeps things simple and with recognizable beginning/middle/end curves it keeps the data looking like proper combined supersystems. In some cases (mostly GCN and GBA) there were plenty of quarterly gaps, which I just filled in linearly for cleanest look. Went through 40 quarters. Nice round number, and the numbers have stopped doing much interesting by then.

WKbvBxP.png

PT21v1r.png

wIyXrAC.png

Uk5rmmN.png

The immediate obvious takeaway is that Wii+DS remains a monster nobody is touching soon, but Switch is doing very well compared to either of the other combinations. Even with DS+Wii, the software numbers are already heading down while Switch's haven't yet obviously peaked--it's feasible Switch yearly software numbers could be in the lead a few quarters down.

Too new/young to make new threads, so I think this is the best fit for a place to share this. I was noticing how recent Switch software numbers are higher than has been the case for any individual Nintendo system in the past. Of course, I remembered that the situation in the past wasn't quite comparable with two lines living side by side for decades, so I decided to look at some past generation combinations. It's entirely unrealistic in that I just added Q1 for one system to Q1 for another even if they launched years apart, but it keeps things simple and with recognizable beginning/middle/end curves it keeps the data looking like proper combined supersystems. In some cases (mostly GCN and GBA) there were plenty of quarterly gaps, which I just filled in linearly for cleanest look. Went through 40 quarters. Nice round number, and the numbers have stopped doing much interesting by then.

WKbvBxP.png

PT21v1r.png

wIyXrAC.png

Uk5rmmN.png

The immediate obvious takeaway is that Wii+DS remains a monster nobody is touching soon, but Switch is doing very well compared to either of the other combinations. Even with DS+Wii, the software numbers are already heading down while Switch's haven't yet obviously peaked--it's feasible Switch yearly software numbers could be in the lead a few quarters down.
That's a fascinating visualization.

It is clear that the Switch is following a very different life curve than past Nintendo platforms. The peak for software is ahead, probably in 2022 with 4 strong quarters.

It will be interesting how steep the software decline will be afterwards. I believe it wont be (steep) and decline naturally overtime. That will allow Switch software to bridge some of the gap it currently has with the Wii/DS.

Very interesting, add that Switch digital only titles are not accounted for in those graphs and we can have a situation where Switch at least are close to Wii and DS. Insane.

Quarterly Regional shipments. Europe and RoW is combined for FY 17-18, I can't find individual data for them for that fiscal year.

NSW-Regional-HW.png

Shipment units in millions.

Last edited:
That's a fascinating visualization.

It is clear that the Switch is following a very different life curve than past Nintendo platforms. The peak for software is ahead, probably in 2022 with 4 strong quarters.

It will be interesting how steep the software decline will be afterwards. I believe it wont be (steep) and decline naturally overtime. That will allow Switch software to bridge some of the gap it currently has with the Wii/DS.
I think the Switch has a moderate shot at reaching 2/3 of the total software sold by these two. It's gonna be delicate if the transition period with the next hardware is quick though.

Quarterly Regional shipments. Europe and RoW is combined for FY 17-18, I can't find individual data for them for that fiscal year.

Shipment units in millions.
For a shortening of Japan, please use JP or JPN - as the shortening you've used is also a slur.

Last edited:
I was recently looking at the Europe/Other/combined split as well; where did you even find them quarterly for 18-19? On their standard quarterly releases March 2019 is the earliest I saw them reporting Europe/Other separately, and then using their "consolidated sales" charts which show yearly numbers and list them separately I was able to work back numbers for March 2018 and March 2017.

I was recently looking at the Europe/Other/combined split as well; where did you even find them quarterly for 18-19? On their standard quarterly releases March 2019 is the earliest I saw them reporting Europe/Other separately, and then using their "consolidated sales" charts which show yearly numbers and list them separately I was able to work back numbers for March 2018 and March 2017.
From Video game Sales Wiki, they Split Europe and Other at the beginning of 18-19 but other sources don't until 19-20 like you say. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Nintendo_Switch. Also 16-17 Sales for the year on the official Nintendo investors page are also for Q4 because the console was only available in Q4 for 16-17 so that was easy to work out.

Last edited:
I think I figured out where the extra year of info comes from--a column I've learned to ignore because it's almost always a repeat of old data. When they report the numbers for, say, April-June 2019, it also always has the values from April-June 2018 for comparison. In this unusual case, that's new information.

I think I figured out where the extra year of info comes from--a column I've learned to ignore because it's almost always a repeat of old data. When they report the numbers for, say, April-June 2019, it also always has the values from April-June 2018 for comparison. In this unusual case, that's new information.
To be fair, the extra column is more there for those who don't have the past data on hand.

Back
Top Bottom