• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo eShop for Wii U and 3DS closing late March 2023

Abzeronow

Disciple
Pronouns
he/him

Definitely an era ending.

EDIT: After March 2023, gamers will still be able to redownload games they already own and download existing software updates.

My first reaction was "It's too early" and "I should buy some games" but then I remembered that I don't even like playing on my 3DS anymore.
I already bought Luigi's Mansion 1+2, the FE games and all the mainline Pokémon games but I'd rather have all of these games on Switch.

Wow. Honestly, this still feels too early. I thought we’d be in the middle of the Switch successor’s life cycle before we saw this happen. I get the Wii U but also the 3DS as well? I guess it cost too much to maintain? Honestly kinda puzzling.

Good on Pokémon for making Bank completely free but dear god NSO is nowhere near the Virtual Console right now so I can already see the backlash. Granted, I do think NSO will get there…eventually, hopefully by the end of the next console’s lifecycle.

I'm shocked that the 3DS and Wii U eShops didn't last as long as the Wii Shop did. They really couldn't push for it to at least match the Wii Shop Channel's 13 year lifespan?

FLrhnPWVgAkmP1H

That answer is also absolutely terrible, they're basically admitting that NSO is a poor substitute for Virtual Console and that they're not going to do anything about it! So much for GB/GBC/GBA/DS/Wii games coming to Switch any time soon...

I'm shocked that the 3DS and Wii U eShops didn't last as long as the Wii Shop did. They really couldn't push for it to at least match the Wii Shop Channel's 13 year lifespan?

FLrhnPWVgAkmP1H

That answer is also absolutely terrible, they're basically admitting that NSO is a poor substitute for Virtual Console and that they're not going to do anything about it! So much for GB/GBC/GBA/DS/Wii games coming to Switch any time soon...

3DS eShop and Wii Shop Channel will both end up lasting ~12 years. Wii U eShop is definitely getting the short end of the stick but that's not shocking given its dismal commercial failure and the fact that many of it's high profile titles have gotten ports or sequels on Switch.

Nintendo's response though 😂. I almost thought it was a parody.

Digital is the future! *rolls eyes*

Well, the Virtual Console was a good thing while it lasted. I better buy whatever I never got around to buying.

Been wanting to grab Dillons Rolling Western Last Ranger. Guess I better not put it off much longer. Was hoping for a sell again though.

I've just downloaded my first tranche of WiiU eShop purchases:

- Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
- Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
- Breath of Fire
- Breath of Fire 2
- F-Zero X

6 done, 17 (at current counting) left to go - and that's not even getting started on the 3DS (or PS3 PSN, which I started but paused last year).

I wonder what impact this will have on eShop sales too, both in terms of individual games and overall quantum. When I did my mass purchase of Wii Shop Channel downloads in February 2018, the "best seller" list was unsurprisingly heavily skewed towards the games we were collectively panic buying - I recall that Rondo of Blood was first, followed by Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI.

Looks like any distant prospect of Turbo Outrun [3DS eshop] releasing for the western markets is dead huh?

I even sent Sega Europe an email several months ago inquiring of any possibility of a western release. Just got some corporate office reply.

Back
Top Bottom