• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

[Nikkei/Rumor] Next Switch development is "progressing well", due in 2024 [UPDATE: VGC/Eurogamer share more details]

What would be the best time for a new Switch 2024 launch ?

• April-May 2024

Votes: 158 42.8%
  • June-September 2024

Votes: 77 20.9%
  • October-November 2024

Votes: 134 36.3%

• Total voters
I would agree but it is the same company that launched two of their biggest games in January and May, which are the slowest months of the year.
For Zelda May is the slowest period in Japan but in the West I think it's the summer.
Zelda target a bit more the west than Japan.

Maybe Zelda was not ready for March too.

Pikmin 3 is more popular in Japan so that's probably the reason they chose July.

Last edited:
I personally think that the next piece of hardware is going to be advertised more as a Switch premium model. Have the OG Switch, Lite, and OLED drop $50 this fall. Premium model launches at $400 in Spring 2024. Premium model retains the same form factor, NSO, and can play OG switch titles. The system itself is a full generational upgrade over Switch supporting 4K. Nintendo titles released for the platform are dual release with Switch. 4K versions of MK8D, Splatoon 3, ToTK, BotW, AC, and Smash Bros Ultimate are also released along with DLC upgrades for those who own the Switch version. Some 3rd parties offer dual versions supporting all models, while others release their titles on the switch streaming service for OG Switch users to play if they want. In late 2025, Nintendo drop prices across the board with Switch Lite being $99, OLED replacing OG Switch for $199, and Switch Premium for $349. In early 2027, they release the Switch replacement which doesn’t feature a major power jump but is an entirely different form factor, concept, and gimmick.

Nintendo tends to struggle with major power upgrades as their development team struggles to overcome those challenges which leads to software shortages and the platform’s momentum tanks see N64, GCN, and Wii U. However, their systems that reinvent a form factor and way of playing videogames tend to do well even if they offer marginally better graphics than their predecessor see GB, DS, Wii, and Switch. By releasing a premium Switch 4K they could get adjusted to 4K development so that the Switch replacement doesn’t suffer from software shortages. In addition to that, I don’t believe Nintendo would be willing to risk launching a console in 2024 with it likely being 2028, at the earliest, for the next new 3D Zelda. Not to mention MK8D will have just wrapped up DLC at the end of 2023. I’d imagine a Mario Kart would likely be released near system launch as well and it’d be a bit odd to launch one so soon after wrapping up the DLC. Finally, AC/Splatoon division finished up Splatoon 3 in 2022 with DLC on the way. I wouldn’t expect Animal Crossing till 2025 at the earliest. Nintendo currently is undergoing a number of big transitions such as new development buildings, burgeoning film business, theme parks, and merchandising. I’d say for all of the stated reasons, I think they will advertise this more as a premium model that has some exclusive support as well as other advantages. The OG Switch will still have plenty of support after this system releases. The real Switch successor launches in 2027.

I could see momentum sustained and possibly improved with Tomodachi Collection, 2D Mario, ND Cube title(Animal Crossing minigame board game), F-Zero GX 20 year anniversary HD remaster, and a EPD 4 casual title for the remainder of 2023. DK(launch with Switch 4K), 3D Mario, Dragon Quest 12, Metroid Prime 4, Pokémon Stadium(battle sim with a lot of options and syncs with Home), Pokémon Conquest 2 by K-T, Kid Icarus Uprising remake by Namco, Paper Mario TTYD 20 year anniversary remaster, and Switch Fit Adventure(RFA sequel with balance board) for 2024. Metroid 6, New 2D Zelda, Golden Sun remake by Camelot, Pokémon Gen X, Star Fox by Next Level Games, Mario Party, Wario Land by Good-Feel, new Platinum Games title, and Switch Motor Sports(Sequels to Excitebike, Wave Race, Pilot Wings and Steel Diver with numerous control options for different play styles such as using the ring fit, balance board, and/or joycons) for 2025. Mother trilogy remake, Xenoblade Chronicles X-2, New Fire Emblem, Pikmin 5, Rhythm Heaven, Pokken Tournament 2, Arms 2, Legend of Zelda: Hero of Wind(WW, PH, & ST) HD remaster collection, Metroid Prime 2 Remaster, Game & Wario port, and a Nintendoland port for 2026. 2027, new system launches with new Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, and 3D Mario in first year among other titles.

I don’t believe Nintendo would be willing to risk launching a console in 2024 with it likely being 2028, at the earliest, for the next new 3D Zelda.
Nintendo "risked" launching the Switch without a new Mario Kart and even after all this time we still don't have a new version. Similarly, they can probably come out with enhanced versions of BotW and ToTK for a 2024 Switch 2 and call it a day until the next Zelda. Also, if Nintendo thought that Zelda is absolutely critical for a new system launch, they would have delayed ToTK so it can come out together with the new 2024 system instead of delaying the "real" new system launch by an additional 3 years because they missed the Zelda boat.
I think they will advertise this more as a premium model that has some exclusive support as well as other advantages.
But why should any 3rd party bother to develop Switch Premium exclusives if Switch Premium is not here to stay as the next thing (?) A Switch Premium will not get exclusive 3rd party support, while in the meantime what remains of Western developers' support for OG Switch will continue to drop due to their aiming at higher minimum specs. I guess Japan support will remain same as now.

2027, new system launches with new Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, and 3D Mario in first year among other titles.
A new system in 2027 will either have to be very different (meaning Nintendo will yet again have to start from zero, quite a risk they no longer want to take) or much more powerful (and much more powerful after the huge jump from Switch to Switch Pro won't be available at that point in time yet).

Last edited:
Dont see the next Switch as anything but next gen. Atm this year. Nintendo and furukawa is more or less asking investor to stay patient for this year. If u went far beyond 2024 to release a new console when ur other merchandising pillar is still not up and running to help carry the company when console is not selling well then. They are going to be on severe pain when Investor dump them hard.

For me it's most interesting to speculate about the Switch 2's software, especially for it's first calender year. If we look back at Switch 1, it really lived by

- Zelda
- MK8D
(- ARMS)
- Mario Odyssey
- Skyrim
- Xenoblade 2

Just going by hype, not necessarily sales, although I'd like to claim that a game like Xenoblade 2, even if it's not a 5mio+ seller, always makes trailer reels look richer.

So what are the games that Switch 2 could give us in its release year, assuming an April/May-launch in 2024? A new 3D-Mario is the obvious choice for launch imo. It'd be a colossal waste if Nintendo released a new 3D-Mario on Switch 1 this year. No, this could be the first Nintendo-console since the N64 to launch with a new Mario. And the I'm out of obvious ideas, tbh. I doubt there'll be MK9 at lauch, although it might be a fall-release. For the big, prestigous Christmas-game, I only see MonolithSoft in the position to deliver something.

The big questionmark to me is: Will there be 3rd-party publishers that put NEW games day 1 on Switch 2 in its first calender year? Sure, Capcom will churn out its generation-old titles as per usual, as will other publishers to some degree. But what about new games? Or will it be a frustrating repeat of the "late port"-strategy, trying to get people to doubledip?

I'm not sure the difference between premium and next gen will be all that marked going forward anyway. The line between generations has become more and more blurred over the years as the rising cost of game developing has made abandoning huge platforms unviable. This was a lot less apparent for N since the technology stayed behind but eventually even they will have to face the issue.

Maybe not this generation but I expect the concept of a marked generation change to die off in favor of more frequent upgrades that work as a midground until the older models are abandoned altogether.

My quick take is that software will dictate first their launch timing, just like with the 3DS and the Switch that launched in early 2011/2017.

So, we'll get a better idea about the launch timing this Summer imho. Before TGS even.
Those were delayed though because they had no games (3DS still didn’t), unless that’s what you mean, that if it’s ready it determines when it launches.

Sure, this is all fair and based on your presumptions. Can't argue with that. My presumptions tell me if Q4 is off the table, the next likeliest launch is the holiday season. And I back that up with Nintendo's previous two home consoles prior to the Switch launching during that time.
Also, to add, Nintendo’s previous major forms of the switch released in H2. The Lite in September and the OLED in October. They are actively targeting those months even with switch model.

It likely would be a holiday release than not.

Switch wasn’t even *intended* to release in March 2017, it was delayed from its initial planned release date of holiday 2016.

Last edited:
Software alone doesn’t account for an 8-10 billion yen YoY increase every FY since FY03/2020. And it’s not as though other time periods measured against lacked budget-busting game development compared to the norm in decades past.
If I’m not mistaken, I remember reading that it’s a it’s a culmination of Hardware R&D, Software R&D, marketing analysis R&D and so on all under one umbrella for Nintendo.

That's exactly what I meant. It is completely possible that Zelda releasing later than planned had a snow-ball effect on their upcoming EPD line-up.

I’d imagine that, due to the pandemic, Zelda was delayed and Nintendo announced that right before the FY23 started. Originally slated for “Holiday” 2022 but pushed back several months between what happened over a year ago (14months ago or so).

The Zelda OLED originally leaked in December if I’m not mistaken, but it’s a special edition and Nintendo has sat on that for a few months until Zelda was near release.

Nowadays, the pandemic is declared as “no longer a global emergency” by the WHO a few days ago.

With that timing in mind, I think there is a potential for a delay to the H1 of say, 2024, only if it was ever slated for Holiday 2023 and it’s software was also affected negatively.

The timing between then and current would probably give Nintendo time to adjust for the new working conditions to make sure they have an efficient steam engine for not only before, but during and after the successor eventually drops not only to support that, but to also support the switch in its end year(s).

But, I also wonder that, as the people at Nintendo took their time to get accustomed if once they are situated they actually got back to their normal schedule internally barring Zelda.

Zelda announcement was still in the thick of it of course.

Last time Nintendo had an iffy year was at the start of the pandemic.

Last edited:

Out: Sharp CEO said the company is preparing pilot LCD lines to upcoming new game console, which Sharp has been involved in since the product's R&D stage. Sharp declined to reveal who its customer is in this context.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt this would be for the Succ, Nintendo would have to be crazy to go back to LCD after switching to OLED. If anything, they're more likely to stick to the same screen as the current OLED, as they love to reuse components from console to console (though it'd be the first time for something as major as the screen).

Maybe a Switch Mini à la New 2DS for post-Succ sales? Or maybe two SKU at launch, LCD and OLED?

Or maybe it's for that rumoured Sony remote play thing, since from my understanding it's not meant as super high-end? I dunno.

Maybe it's the GameBoy Mini 🤭

If this is about the upcoming Switch, here are my quick takeways:

- The next Switch is targeting H1 since the panels are said to be supplied this FY
- There might be two SKUs ? One with a LCD (Sharp) and the other with an OLED (Samsung) screen. Could they have a Lite from the get go this time ?

Things are definitely moving, we are in the final line.

A 3D Mario game would be the best to launch the next system with.
Luigi's Mansion 4, that Fire Emblem remake, Astral Chain 2, a Mario Sports game, Mario Party or other party game, 2D Zelda, a new Advance Wars game Pokémon remake, Donkey Kong and of course Mario Kart and some other smaller IPs.
There are tons of possible games they could release in the next console's first year.

- The next Switch is targeting H1 since the panels are said to be supplied this FY
- There might be two SKUs ? One with a LCD (Sharp) and the other with an OLED (Samsung) screen. Could they have a Lite from the get go this time ?

The lite was only possible on the original model after a die shrink. If they had a Lite from the beginning (which seems silly, why offer a lower end model from the beginning, when supposedly you won't have enough supply anyway? Wait a year at least) this means either a better than expected node (which is likely, seeing how the semiconductor industry is deflating and cutting edge production lines are getting abandoned) or a more conservative clock choice. Or they could have put a very similar ventilation system on the Lite.

Still, if this thing comes out and has a Lite the original Switch family lineup is going to be put out of production pretty soon

Edit: we are also seeing a number of windows handhelds (and the qlite) getting announced, so who knows

We don't even know the technology of this sharp lcd screens. Let's wait and see, but I do believe a late show in January with the launch in April/May.

There are 50 billion new gaming tablets out now and more coming. Even Sony has a new streaming tablet coming. Hard to say who it could be for now. Bloomberg seems to be implying that it's for Nintendo, but they don't have the best track record with certainty (see the recent stuff as well as the mini led panels news)

It's actually for the Steam Deck 2, why else would Valve but it on sale a few months ago? Gotta clear inventory.

Also it could be the rumored Playstation Q

Mortal kombat 1 caming to switch according to the leak 60$, for next generation $70

There are 50 billion new gaming tablets out now and more coming. Even Sony has a new streaming tablet coming. Hard to say who it could be for now. Bloomberg seems to be implying that it's for Nintendo, but they don't have the best track record with certainty (see the recent stuff as well as the mini led panels news)

It might not be for Nintendo but I would suspect that if they're mentioning it to investors it's something they're expecting to have significant volumes so would have to be one of the bigger products.

It might not be for Nintendo but I would suspect that if they're mentioning it to investors it's something they're expecting to have significant volumes so would have to be one of the bigger products.
Yeah, it might not be them, but in that case... who could it be?

This will be funny if this is for Sony's streaming device, and that there was actual significant volumes ordered for it.

But why should any 3rd party bother to develop Switch Premium exclusives if Switch Premium is not here to stay as the next thing (?) A Switch Premium will not get exclusive 3rd party support, while in the meantime what remains of Western developers' support for OG Switch will continue to drop due to their aiming at higher minimum specs. I guess Japan support will remain same as now.
I agree with the rest of your post but I don't understand why this notion of Switch is losing 3rd party support continues to be pushed. I'm not seeing a drop in 3rd party support besides maybe the games keep releasing later such as Hogwarts. That Robocop game is also set to release on Switch and maybe even that new Mortal Kombat. I do think an enhanced Switch would actually get some 3rd party support due to the increase hardware and Nintendo likely allowing 3rd parties to support exclusively if they want similar to GBC.
So what are the games that Switch 2 could give us in its release year, assuming an April/May-launch in 2024? A new 3D-Mario is the obvious choice for launch imo. It'd be a colossal waste if Nintendo released a new 3D-Mario on Switch 1 this year. No, this could be the first Nintendo-console since the N64 to launch with a new Mario. And the I'm out of obvious ideas, tbh. I doubt there'll be MK9 at lauch, although it might be a fall-release. For the big, prestigous Christmas-game, I only see MonolithSoft in the position to deliver something.

The big questionmark to me is: Will there be 3rd-party publishers that put NEW games day 1 on Switch 2 in its first calender year? Sure, Capcom will churn out its generation-old titles as per usual, as will other publishers to some degree. But what about new games? Or will it be a frustrating repeat of the "late port"-strategy, trying to get people to doubledip?
This is precisely my issue with launching earlier in the year, 3rd parties don't release as many games at the beginning of the year compared to the fall. If Drake releases in the fall, it could atleast have the latest annual sports games (FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K), the latest CoD, and maybe even a new Assassin Creed. 3rd parties aim for fall similar to why Sony and Micro aim for fall launches due to increased spending during the fall period. If you launch Drake early in the year, then it will have to rely on the ports of those games from the previous fall period. If you want Nintendo to have day and date 3rd party titles then they have to be part of the scheduling.

As for Nintendo, if they release Drake early in the year then im not sure what that first year will look like because 3D Mario and maybe ToTK enhanced port could launch the system but the fall game im not sure. Pokemon won't be ready because the dlc will just be wrapping up early 2024. Smash bros maybe for the holiday 2024 but I don't see it. Mario Kart is a possibility but Nintendo tends to favor spring releases for Mario Kart. Holiday 2024 Drake release would be better in my opionion because then 3D Mario and ToTK enhanced would launch the console with Mario Kart in the spring 2025 and Pokemon Gen 10 in holiday 2025. Pokemon has 3 year release schedules and that would align perfectly. Along with some 3rd party games in holiday 2024 such as that years CoD, FiFa, Madden, and NBA 2K would fill the line up.

Since it’s starting a pilot launch this FY, it might not be ready until late FY25.

Or FY2026.

Talking about SHARP.

My lean is H1 2024. Exactly how it materializes, I think, will depend on the slate of releases they have planned and how they are approaching being ready to go.
I hope they have a relatively steady stream of titles for the first year like this did with the OG. And although it won’t make a dent in sales, I think it’s important for MP4 to make it in the launch window.

Since it isn't March 2024 it'll be November 2024. If the Sharp LCD panels were for Switch 2, I don't see why Nintnedo wouldnt be able to launch Switch 2 by March.

Since it isn't March 2024 it'll be November 2024. If the Sharp LCD panels were for Switch 2, I don't see why Nintnedo wouldnt be able to launch Switch 2 by March.
They’re doing a pilot production this FY, so it wouldn’t be ready by March.

Next FY is when those panels should be in use.

apparently there might be some disparity in what was actually said

I don't know about the rest, but this post is nitpicking on the Japanese expression.

It literally says

"Starting up (of business) for new devices that are VR-oriented and Gaming-oriented"

What is a "game oriented new device" but a kind of consoles (which Deck is). I agree it can be for anything (Deck, Sony etc), but nitpicking on whether it is a "console or not" feels like an artificial line in the sand linguistically

Last edited:
I agree with the rest of your post but I don't understand why this notion of Switch is losing 3rd party support continues to be pushed. I'm not seeing a drop in 3rd party support besides maybe the games keep releasing later such as Hogwarts. That Robocop game is also set to release on Switch and maybe even that new Mortal Kombat. I do think an enhanced Switch would actually get some 3rd party support due to the increase hardware and Nintendo likely allowing 3rd parties to support exclusively if they want similar to GBC.

This is precisely my issue with launching earlier in the year, 3rd parties don't release as many games at the beginning of the year compared to the fall. If Drake releases in the fall, it could atleast have the latest annual sports games (FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K), the latest CoD, and maybe even a new Assassin Creed. 3rd parties aim for fall similar to why Sony and Micro aim for fall launches due to increased spending during the fall period. If you launch Drake early in the year, then it will have to rely on the ports of those games from the previous fall period. If you want Nintendo to have day and date 3rd party titles then they have to be part of the scheduling.

As for Nintendo, if they release Drake early in the year then im not sure what that first year will look like because 3D Mario and maybe ToTK enhanced port could launch the system but the fall game im not sure. Pokemon won't be ready because the dlc will just be wrapping up early 2024. Smash bros maybe for the holiday 2024 but I don't see it. Mario Kart is a possibility but Nintendo tends to favor spring releases for Mario Kart. Holiday 2024 Drake release would be better in my opionion because then 3D Mario and ToTK enhanced would launch the console with Mario Kart in the spring 2025 and Pokemon Gen 10 in holiday 2025. Pokemon has 3 year release schedules and that would align perfectly. Along with some 3rd party games in holiday 2024 such as that years CoD, FiFa, Madden, and NBA 2K would fill the line up.
That seems very optimistic about 3rd parties only due to scheduling. I see only FIFA because there is a Legacy Edition present to just update the roster on. EA doesn’t seem interested in bringing other sports titles. COD is probably not happening unless the merger goes through.

That seems very optimistic about 3rd parties only due to scheduling. I see only FIFA because there is a Legacy Edition present to just update the roster on. EA doesn’t seem interested in bringing other sports titles. COD is probably not happening unless the merger goes through.
Madden would be the only optimistic title on Switch's successor. NBA 2K already fully supports Switch and FiFa has growm on Switch despite the legacy editions. Greed alone would get the real version of FiFa on Drake. CoD's only hold up is hardware, Wii and WiiU got CoD. Activision is loyal to money, whatever could make them a dollar. The merger is the only chance Switch has at CoD not Drake.

I've been expecting Q4 2024 since COVID hit and I would be pretty surprised if it comes earlier than that. Nintendo would prefer to launch in the holiday season if they can help it. Probably announce it around April/May next year.

Madden would be the only optimistic title on Switch's successor. NBA 2K already fully supports Switch and FiFa has growm on Switch despite the legacy editions. Greed alone would get the real version of FiFa on Drake.
Considering the high rate of interest in Nintendo hardware in Canada, EA's NHL games would finally make the jump, as well... even though I'd actually prefer if they didn't and someone else made a better NHL game instead.

apparently there might be some disparity in what was actually said

I agree with @Khross that this Famiboards poster appears to be overly-nitpicking generalist Bloomberg reporting. The slide literally said "VR向け及びゲーム向け新機種の立上げ" or "Launch of new models for VR and game [products]". It's quite likely they're referring to Nintendo's next product here, given that it's notable enough to be listed here as a revenue driver, and Nintendo is Sharp's only game console supplier.

And it's not just Sharp. For example, I read a Macronix (ROM chips) note where they expect the next Switch as a growth vector in FY 2024. There are definitely rumbles among Nintendo's various suppliers about a future product for 2024.

But ultimately it's on Nintendo to decide when's the best time to formally start manufacturing, and none of these vendors can give a more accurate indication right now beyond "something is happening," so there isn't much substance to go on regardless.

Last edited:
Madden would be the only optimistic title on Switch's successor. NBA 2K already fully supports Switch and FiFa has growm on Switch despite the legacy editions. Greed alone would get the real version of FiFa on Drake. CoD's only hold up is hardware, Wii and WiiU got CoD. Activision is loyal to money, whatever could make them a dollar. The merger is the only chance Switch has at CoD not Drake.
I like how you say hardware is the problem yet use the Wii & WiiU as examples. Hardware is not the only problem there. They are seemingly loyal to money yet pass up on any version of COD on Switch. I suspect this will be much the same heading into the next device without the merger considering who will still be in charge.

I don’t trust EA to do anything other then Legacy FIFA heading into new hardware. While the games do well for what they are; the biggest opportunities are in UT. However that product is poor on the Switch version with little done to improve it.

As far at the launch goes, I say around the fall looks good.
My taking on a launch here is that price is everything, and Nintendo has never really fancied itself as a provider of a premium product. I don't see them attempting to push more than the price points that they have currently, if only because it a rather good sweet spot... $300-$350, around their.

Assuming that any of this holds any water and honestly given the buzz around "Switch Pro", it's forced me to carry a salt shaker around any Nintendo rumour.

I like how you say hardware is the problem yet use the Wii & WiiU as examples. Hardware is not the only problem there. They are seemingly loyal to money yet pass up on any version of COD on Switch. I suspect this will be much the same heading into the next device without the merger considering who will still be in charge.

I don’t trust EA to do anything other then Legacy FIFA heading into new hardware. While the games do well for what they are; the biggest opportunities are in UT. However that product is poor on the Switch version with little done to improve it.
Wii had a separate team making those CoDs, which isn't happening in this age. WiiU could handle the CoDs of that era (Call of Duty Black Ops 2 in 2012 and CoD Ghost in 2013). CoD continued to release on 360/PS3 until Black Ops 3 in 2015. CoD started using a new engine in 2019 with Modern Warfare. Switch likely isn't strong enough or would require more resources similar to Wii. Microsoft is likely willing to provide the separate resources but not Activision. I don't think it's a stretch at all to see CoD on Drake. Merger guarantees it but Activision I think will be there as long as the hardware can do it without extra work.

For me it's most interesting to speculate about the Switch 2's software, especially for it's first calender year. If we look back at Switch 1, it really lived by

- Zelda
- MK8D
(- ARMS)
- Mario Odyssey
- Skyrim
- Xenoblade 2

Just going by hype, not necessarily sales, although I'd like to claim that a game like Xenoblade 2, even if it's not a 5mio+ seller, always makes trailer reels look richer.

3D Mario absoloutely makes sense for launch, but I think we can expect around 10 games from Nintendo in 2024 just like other years. Other options could be:
  • Top down Zedla
  • Donkey Kong (if it doesn't come in 2023)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (see above)
  • Tomodachi sequel (see above)
  • FE4 remake
  • Good Feel's next game
  • Bandai Namco's action game
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon sequel
  • Pokémon Gen 5 remake
  • Super Mario Party 2
As far at the launch goes, I say around the fall looks good.
My taking on a launch here is that price is everything, and Nintendo has never really fancied itself as a provider of a premium product. I don't see them attempting to push more than the price points that they have currently, if only because it a rather good sweet spot... $300-$350, around their.

Assuming that any of this holds any water and honestly given the buzz around "Switch Pro", it's forced me to carry a salt shaker around any Nintendo rumour.
With how OLED is doing at $350, Switch 2 is $400 at the minimum, probably $450 I reckon.

Also Nintendo loves to introduce new IP at a console launch, so we can expect something like ARMS.
Tbh just like Nintendo went all-in with the open-world genre with Switch 1, I'd like them to do the same for "cinematic 3rd-person shooters" with Switch 2. Basically, I wanna see their take on the "Sony-genre". Playing TotK makes me realize once again (just based of the first 5 hours, things might change) how basic stories in Nintendo-games are, not just conceptually, but in how they're presented. MonolithSoft is their only developer to make elaborated stories. I'd like Nintendo to establish at least one more developer of theirs to make games featuring serious, elaborate stories, because it'd fill a gap in their current lineup. Not sure who could be put on such game, maybe RetroStudios unless they're trapped in making Metroid Prime-games forever now.

Tbh just like Nintendo went all-in with the open-world genre with Switch 1, I'd like them to do the same for "cinematic 3rd-person shooters" with Switch 2. Basically, I wanna see their take on the "Sony-genre". Playing TotK makes me realize once again (just based of the first 5 hours, things might change) how basic stories in Nintendo-games are, not just conceptually, but in how they're presented. MonolithSoft is their only developer to make elaborated stories. I'd like Nintendo to establish at least one more developer of theirs to make games featuring serious, elaborate stories, because it'd fill a gap in their current lineup. Not sure who could be put on such game, maybe RetroStudios unless they're trapped in making Metroid Prime-games forever now.

I mean, they just released a movie, and it didn't even have an elaborated story 😂

Nintendo just doesn't really care about that aspect and Xenoblade is really an exception, and I don't see this changing anytime soon...

With how OLED is doing at $350, Switch 2 is $400 at the minimum, probably $450 I reckon.
I doubt that, to be blunt... it would be a bit of a miss read of the market. Their are some gamer that would be ok with a pricier machine but honestly, most will not welcome the inflate.

Wii had a separate team making those CoDs, which isn't happening in this age. WiiU could handle the CoDs of that era (Call of Duty Black Ops 2 in 2012 and CoD Ghost in 2013). CoD continued to release on 360/PS3 until Black Ops 3 in 2015. CoD started using a new engine in 2019 with Modern Warfare. Switch likely isn't strong enough or would require more resources similar to Wii. Microsoft is likely willing to provide the separate resources but not Activision. I don't think it's a stretch at all to see CoD on Drake. Merger guarantees it but Activision I think will be there as long as the hardware can do it without extra work.
The Wii & WiiU ports were made by Sledgehammer who are now fully on the factory assembly line. If the goal is to avoid “extra work” then Drake isn’t gonna help much in this regard as you still have to optimize for Drake; unless they wanna throw it out there & call it a day. They had more then enough options to bring it to the Switch yet don’t seem interested to do so. I remain unconvinced because hardware isn’t the issue here; the issue mostly likely is the Switch not fitting into their preferred monetization scheme. If that issue doesn’t see improvement then CoD will continue to remain elusive sans merger going forward.

the Infinity Ward engine scales better now that they're making it run on phones. the new Warzone Mobile runs on the engine for example

I agree with @Khross that this Famiboards poster appears to be overly-nitpicking generalist Bloomberg reporting. The slide literally said "VR向け及びゲーム向け新機種の立上げ" or "Launch of new models for VR and game [products]". It's quite likely they're referring to Nintendo's next product here, given that it's notable enough to be listed here as a revenue driver, and Nintendo is Sharp's only game console supplier.

And it's not just Sharp. For example, I read a Macronix (ROM chips) note where they expect the next Switch as a growth vector in FY 2024. There are definitely rumbles among Nintendo's various suppliers about a future product for 2024.

But ultimately it's on Nintendo to decide when's the best time to formally start manufacturing, and none of these vendors can give a more accurate indication right now beyond "something is happening," so there isn't much substance to go on regardless.
Less about that and more about ruling it to be Nintendo, and dropping the OLED panel for an LCD one would be odd, haven’t seen them actually go for a worse display from one generation to the other, and this attempt to connect it directly to Nintendo when it could be more than just Nintendo. Can be for that Sony PlayStation Q-Lite handheld streaming controller which is rumored to feature an 8 inch LCD display as per Tom Henderson.

Sony did use a Sharp display for the PlayStation Vita

On top of that, it would be odd for them to be involved with the successor from the very beginning when it just ends up being an LCD panel that Nintendo can just take off the shelf for like they’ve done in the past to reduce the costs. Only exception being the 3DS which was a highly custom display, here the only report is of an LCD display with nothing of note about it.

Sharp would be the only one making this display presumably, and Nintendo’s method of reducing costs is to leverage multiple sources for the same material that they need and this gives them flexibility on the production side.

not saying it’s not possible it’s for Nintendo, but it would be an out of character move.

And I’d imagine Sharp’s own IP is integrated in the making of the display and how it would operate, meaning a lottery from other manufacturers. Though, I guess that’s not really a point considering Nintendo and lottery are a tale as old as time.

I feet natural that Nintendo pushes to get COD and full feature EA Sports games (NHL, Madden, Soccer..) in first next HW year. There are the biggest western IPs that hasn’t have any entry on Switch (or in FIFA case, legacy editions..).

Also I think it also would be a good move to push their current support with mayor western publishers like Warner Bros (Wonder Woman, Superman), CD Projekt (Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher), Ubisoft (Assasins Creed, Splinter Cell, Avatar…)

They have full control of eastern markets with their IPs (+ DQ, MH and manga based IPs), so I think its more intelligent to secure the western market. This generation proved more or less that western developers are more neutral regarding any bias and if next HW proves to be more easier to port than Switch to PS4, they will support it better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom