• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

NieR: Automata has sold 6.5M units.

Nintendo Switch version should add at least a million more to that worldwide. Congrats to Square Enix and Platinum.

The success of this game is still incredible considering how niche Nier and evevrything by Yoko Taro was just 6 years ago.

Great sales,a very big number for platinum. I wish I liked the game so I could be happy about it... alas.

I'm actually playing bayo1&2 for the first time at the moment and it really epitomises platinum for me. The first game I didn't think was bad by any stretch, but I didn't enjoy most of my time with it and had a lot of problems with jt. Bayo2 now I'm half way through and I think it's amazing, this is probably the biggest jump in quality in a direct sequel I've ever experienced.

Platinum are so up and down, so inconsistent. If they could start to deliver more consistent quality they could become a bigger studio and see more sales numbers like this. Bayo3 could be a record breaker for them for sure, I hope it's as good as 2.

Well deserved! A fantastic title that Switch owners will get to experience soon. ^^

It's really amazing it keeps selling that well, sales or not.
Feels like they're mismanaging what to do next though, but I guess it could be worse.

Makes me really wonder how Replicant sold. They probably would be reporting milestones if it were significant enough, but surely it's over 2M by now.

That’s what square is supposedly aiming for with ff16. What do you guys think?
XVI is also exclusive to PS5 (at least timed exclusive) so its ceiling is a lot lower.

Makes me really wonder how Replicant sold. They probably would be reporting milestones if it were significant enough, but surely it's over 2M by now.

XVI is also exclusive to PS5 (at least timed exclusive) so its ceiling is a lot lower.
Though as big success as Automata is most of these sales have come from bargain bin prices (and across many many years). New FF should not have problems with shipping at least 5 million units full priced near the launch.

Though as big success as Automata is most of these sales have come from bargain bin prices (and across many many years).

The game sold 4M in two years and during that period it never went below ~30$/€ digitally.

I remember being annoyed by this until I found a good deal for the physical version since digital sales sucked.

So no, most of these sales didn't come from bargain bin prices (which for me means something like 10 bucks). If anything this game held stronger than your usual non-Nintendo releases.

Nothing against your FF comparison though, obviously these franchises are on a different level atm.

The game sold 4M in two years and during that period it never went below ~30$/€ digitally.

I remember being annoyed by this until I found a good deal for the physical version since digital sales sucked.

So no, most of these sales didn't come from bargain bin prices (which for me means something like 10 bucks). If anything this game held stronger than your usual non-Nintendo releases.

Nothing against your FF comparison though, obviously these franchises are on a different level atm.

Looking at my order history I bought the game on amazon.co.uk October 9th, 2017 new for £12.09

That’s what square is supposedly aiming for with ff16. What do you guys think?
In 5 years after launch FFXVI would have to be a disaster sales wise to not reach 6.5m even if it only got a PC late port 2 years late, if it fails to sell 6.5m in 5 years mainline FF would need to go through some important changes to recover track.

Looking at my order history I bought the game on amazon.co.uk October 9th, 2017 new for £12.09
Likely from a 3rd party marketplace.

I just checked keepa and from September 9 to November 16 2017 it was always priced at £47.99

Likely from a 3rd party marketplace.

I just checked keepa and from September 9 to November 16 2017 it was always priced at £47.99

Nah, It was sold by Amazon.

There are always deals like those when stores are clearing the remaining stock, they aren't representative of the majority of sales.

Looking at the price history on amazon.co.uk I'm guessing the game had bigger drops there

Last edited:
We have all the price history of Amazon UK. The lowest it has ever been sold by Amazon UK (not marketplace) brand new is just under 18 pounds. At the time that you indicate, the price was 47.99 pounds. There were even shortages because the game was so popular even at a high price that for a short time around Christmas and a bit after the price went way above normal. Straight from Keepa itself:

mOmvtmv.png

We have all the price history of Amazon UK. The lowest it has ever been sold by Amazon UK (not marketplace) brand new is just under 18 pounds. At the time that you indicate, the price was 47.99 pounds. There were even shortages because the game was so popular even at a high price that for a short time around Christmas and a bit after the price went way above normal. Straight from Keepa itself:

mOmvtmv.png

I linked you to the amazon price tracker. The graph shows the drop on the date I bought the game. Product sold by amazon

That graph you are linking must be another internal Amazon SKU or that website doesn't track price drops correctly.

Last edited:
In 5 years after launch FFXVI would have to be a disaster sales wise to not reach 6.5m even if it only got a PC late port 2 years late, if it fails to sell 6.5m in 5 years mainline FF would need to go through some important changes to recover track.
No man. I’m talking about gameplay.

I’m talking about gameplay.

Actually also looking at historical steam prices it seems you are right. 30€ was lowest during first two years. I stand corrected and even more impressive for Automata. Somehow I guess I just assumed it got heavy discounts like most non Nintendo games.

Back
Top Bottom