For those who don't know what Multiversus is, it's a free-to-play platform fighter (like Smash Bros. and Brawlhalla) by Warner Bros.
Here's what it has going for it:
- Multiversus is owned by Warner Bros., and features a roster of extremely popular characters
- This includes Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Scooby Doo characters, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Rick and Morty, and more
- Outside of Smash's roster (and even rivalling/exceeding it in certain countries), this game potentially has the most popular roster of any fighter
- The game has incredible production values, with nearly every character being lavishly animated in a way unique to them
- It's on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series—that's a lot of platforms
- It's entirely free-to-play
Launch day (open beta) performance:
Earlier today, Multiversus hit a peak of 153,000 concurrent players on Steam alone. That is absolutely enormous for a fighting game. Add the fact that Multiversus isn't even available in a lot of Southeast Asian countries yet (where Cartoon Network was immensely popular), and that makes the feat all the more impressive.
Here's how that compares to other fighters, courtesy of EventHubs:
|Title||30-Day Average||24-Hour Peak||All-time Peak|
|Street Fighter 5||2,349||3,108||13,807|
|Mortal Kombat 11||2,139||2,582||27,301|
|Guilty Gear Strive||1,829||1,921||30,939|
|Dragon Ball FighterZ||1,633||1,930||44,234|
|King of Fighters 15||542||813||8,205|
|Rivals of Aether||422||618||2,828|
|Skullgirls 2nd Encore||224||228||3,916|
|Granblue fantasy: Versus||162||180||2,599|
|Persona 4 Arena Ultimax||96||114||5,628|
|Melty Blood: Type Lumina||72||106||13,182|
|Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl||30||46||9,120|
* Note: EventHubs' all-time peak number for Multversus is a little outdated, which is why it's 144k instead of 153k.
THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
- This could potentially be a historic moment for fighting games, and that is not an understatement.
- With Smash backing out of tournaments like EVO, Multiversus could be exactly what those events need to bring in new viewers/players.
- The game recently added LeBron James as a character. That tells you that the sky's the limit as far as future collaborations go.
- In terms of future crossover collaborations, this has the potential to be as big as Fortnite. That is huge for a fighting game.
- And again, this thing isn't even out in SEA territories yet, where F2P + Cartoon Network are both going to be enormous draws.