• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Microsoft Closes Numerous Bethesda Studios including Tango Gameworks (Hi-fi Rush) and Arkane Austin (Prey, Redfall)

Ori and the blind forest
Ori and the will ofnthe wisp
Lucky takes
Minecraft
Minecraft Legends
Minecraft Dungeons

There are tons of MS owned games on Switch: why should we judge them not being open and interested in develop also for Switch 2 and only for Ps5 if the hardware can do it?

Let's take a look at Hifi Rush: they started development (the game has even being rated) but the Switch version had some performance/optimization issue and they scrapped it

It totally was in their plan and only a tech-wall made them drop it

Why should we know suddenly see MS as a developer AGAINST bringing their (possible) multiplatform games to Nintendo?
They're definitely not against bringing their games to Nintendo and like you said, the "favoring" is mostly due to hardware issues.

Though I would still say there is preferential treatment outside of hardware compatibility, and that's because of the existence of Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush ports. You might be asking: what's wrong with them? And the problem is that those software aren't really necessarily compatible with the PlayStation audience (both games had poor debuts on PS5).

Even when the rumors of multiplatform ports first hit, most people didn't have PS5 as their first choice on where those games would hit. It was only after it was officially announced before every discourse being changed to being about PlayStation being the best place for those type of games from Xbox (which were proven false). So I think the "favor," isn't that they only port games to PlayStation (which also isn't true like you said). Just that they (Microsoft), erroneously, believes that PlayStation is a stronger platform for all genre of games. Not saying that those ports to PS5 shouldn't exist, but it isn't exactly good business. Even though they still chose to do it regardless of the risks.

Also parallels the Ori games. They were ported in a time when Xbox were still reluctant to follow a full multiplatform strategy. It was because the sales potential were just too huge on Switch to miss out for metroidvania games and it was a "small" enough exclusive being ported that wouldn't damage the Xbox bran. The complete opposite of the Pentiment/Hi-Fi Rush ports to PS5 which sold poorly and did more damage to the Xbox brand than it was worth. So the latter decision was made less out of cold business machinations, and more due to an erroroneous belief (hence "favoring" PlayStation in some way).

Regardless, it doesn't matter anyway. The "favor" they have for PlayStation doesn't affect how much Switch/Switch 2 ports there will be. It only affects PlayStation and allows the platform to receive more ports than it would've made sense to receive. Which is a good thing for fans of PlayStation since some multiplatform games would've only gone to Switch otherwise.

Well 3DO did not own publishers, studios, operating systems...

They were highly linked to EA, one of the biggest publishers around, and from a console perspective in the 90's the OS wasn't a big factor. Anyway, I'm not saying they are the same just that there are similarities.

If Microsoft continue down the multiplatform publishing path, and it appears they will, then it's hard to see the value proposition of an "Xbox machine" versus a standard PC or Playstation. They may, of course, be perfectly okay with that and view the hardware part as something of a dead end for them in the long run. It wouldn't be the first time they've taken that view on hardware either.

They're definitely not against bringing their games to Nintendo and like you said, the "favoring" is mostly due to hardware issues.

Though I would still say there is preferential treatment outside of hardware compatibility, and that's because of the existence of Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush ports. You might be asking: what's wrong with them? And the problem is that those software aren't really necessarily compatible with the PlayStation audience (both games had poor debuts on PS5).

Even when the rumors of multiplatform ports first hit, most people didn't have PS5 as their first choice on where those games would hit. It was only after it was officially announced before every discourse being changed to being about PlayStation being the best place for those type of games from Xbox (which were proven false). So I think the "favor," isn't that they only port games to PlayStation (which also isn't true like you said). Just that they (Microsoft), erroneously, believes that PlayStation is a stronger platform for all genre of games. Not saying that those ports to PS5 shouldn't exist, but it isn't exactly good business. Even though they still chose to do it regardless of the risks.

Also parallels the Ori games. They were ported in a time when Xbox were still reluctant to follow a full multiplatform strategy. It was because the sales potential were just too huge on Switch to miss out for metroidvania games and it was a "small" enough exclusive being ported that wouldn't damage the Xbox bran. The complete opposite of the Pentiment/Hi-Fi Rush ports to PS5 which sold poorly and did more damage to the Xbox brand than it was worth. So the latter decision was made less out of cold business machinations, and more due to an erroroneous belief (hence "favoring" PlayStation in some way).

Regardless, it doesn't matter anyway. The "favor" they have for PlayStation doesn't affect how much Switch/Switch 2 ports there will be. It only affects PlayStation and allows the platform to receive more ports than it would've made sense to receive. Which is a good thing for fans of PlayStation since some multiplatform games would've only gone to Switch otherwise.
From my personal perspective, I dont think people really thought of Pentiment as one of the games that was teased as going multiplatform at all until Phil Spencer gave his criteria in the business update and the game happened to fit one of the two criteria. There were many rumors that got people buzzing but one of them was definitely Hi-Fi Rush specifically coming to the Switch. It had been teased and for good reason - it's a critically-acclaimed game that would fit well with the Switch's audience. Just like the Ori games and Cuphead before it.

If the Switch tech was stronger then it'd no doubt have gotten a Hi-Fi Rush port, and that 100% would've made a difference. Hell, I'd argue that waiting for there to be a Day 1 Switch 2 port could've helped. Ori came to the Switch 4 years after release and in the lead-up to Ori 2... which hit the Switch 6 months later. Cuphead came to the Nintendo Switch 2 years later. Notably, Cuphead took another year after the Switch release to hit the PlayStation 4, and Ori to this very day is absent from PS systems. Nintendo (and Steam for the matter) has an audience that're willing to play these types of games.

Now I dunno if the Hi-Fi Rush port'll even be successful if it comes to Switch 2 because it's not like the proceeds'll go to the studio.

They were highly linked to EA, one of the biggest publishers around, and from a console perspective in the 90's the OS wasn't a big factor. Anyway, I'm not saying they are the same just that there are similarities.
OS wasn't a big factor, architecture was. However this time you have Xbox with an architecture similar to PC anyway. In the past you had completely different platforms altogether (well there was an era of a different instruction set too though). Now you have similar OS and hardware. And with upcoming ARM devices, you will literally have unified platforms.

I do wonder how developers will tackle that - some games are already running on Mac (like Diablo and BG3 or even RE I guess?) so there is some work on porting to ARM is being done anyway, but sooner or later all the games will have to support both x86 (legacy) and ARM. I guess platform holders will have to be involved (like Valve with Proton support or even Nvidia with drivers and stuff) one way or another. It also raises a question about mobile - as though ARM chips will end up in mobile phones basically turning them into PS5/Switch gen situation too. Like the mobile phone running some Qualcomm processor while PC and consoles having more powerful, yet similar processors.

If Microsoft continue down the multiplatform publishing path, and it appears they will, then it's hard to see the value proposition of an "Xbox machine" versus a standard PC or Playstation. They may, of course, be perfectly okay with that and view the hardware part as something of a dead end for them in the long run. It wouldn't be the first time they've taken that view on hardware either.
Well, it is the same question if there is a value proposition from all those PC handhelds no? Though new Surface devices on ARM are quite attractive even to me, despite me being a Mac user. Curious if the next Xbox will have NPU on top of it or not.

Microsoft will just do what all publishers do. Only port old games and games that take no effort to port on Switch, and port everything else only to Playstation.

From my personal perspective, I dont think people really thought of Pentiment as one of the games that was teased as going multiplatform at all until Phil Spencer gave his criteria in the business update and the game happened to fit one of the two criteria. There were many rumors that got people buzzing but one of them was definitely Hi-Fi Rush specifically coming to the Switch. It had been teased and for good reason - it's a critically-acclaimed game that would fit well with the Switch's audience. Just like the Ori games and Cuphead before it.

If the Switch tech was stronger then it'd no doubt have gotten a Hi-Fi Rush port, and that 100% would've made a difference. Hell, I'd argue that waiting for there to be a Day 1 Switch 2 port could've helped. Ori came to the Switch 4 years after release and in the lead-up to Ori 2... which hit the Switch 6 months later. Cuphead came to the Nintendo Switch 2 years later. Notably, Cuphead took another year after the Switch release to hit the PlayStation 4, and Ori to this very day is absent from PS systems. Nintendo (and Steam for the matter) has an audience that're willing to play these types of games.

Now I dunno if the Hi-Fi Rush port'll even be successful if it comes to Switch 2 because it's not like the proceeds'll go to the studio.
Yeah, Pentiment was just such a small title that it wasn't really on anyone's radar. Though people definitely thought it fit Switch's portfolio more than PlayStation after Phil's update on their multiplatform approach.

It's sad that Hi-Fi Rush lost its chance to get more sales. I agree that waiting for Switch 2 would've been better. They squandered the only opportunity at a good multiplatform release. Now that it's also dead on PlayStation and with Tango shut down, people are just way less positive about any future prospects.
Microsoft will just do what all publishers do. Only port old games and games that take no effort to port on Switch, and port everything else only to Playstation.
It is unfortunate, but the hardware differences just make it difficult for new Microsoft titles to include Switch or Switch 2. Even the rumored new Doom game is skipping Switch because it's for next-gen platforms. Unless Microsoft develops for Switch as the base, the games just won't hit it. And they won't do that because they aren't third-party, so Xbox is still their main platform until they completely give up on being a platform holder.

Soft interview, a real jornalist would insist on why Tango was closed, but I understand, some people chooses to mantain access because Phil would never sit down with him again if he made a real interview.

It's a shame but it's how it works.

They have to answer like that because the people will eat you alive if you don't. The current climate accepts nothing they don't want to hear.

If he was totally honest he would have to said that Aaron is wrong, Hi-Fi Rush is a good game but did nothing for the business, Mikami already left and they saw no value in keeping Tango open since they are on pressure to increase profits and Arkane Austin made a grotesque work on Redfall that is a huge flop.

No one expects this level of sincerity for an executive so this empty awser was expected and Ryan also as expected moved on quickly to a new subject.

Must suck for other small studios like Ninja Theory who just put out a game quietly and Compulsion next year. Those games aren’t going to make money for them or gain significant subscribers.

Part of me feels like CoD made a lot of these studios redundant. Gamepass is going to grow and make money with call of duty and Call of Duty only

Phil finally asked why Tango had to go.

The most hilarious part is why they say there is no "one size fits all" for success, but there literally is. It's called profit.

If hi-fi rush was making minecraft money it would still exist.

But to be expected that they just dance around it

Jules Roscoe said:
TODAY: a Microsoft-contracted quality assurance testing company laid off an entire 160-person team because they began organizing, a new ULP alleges. Microsoft has a standing labor neutrality agreement with the union:

Y'all might remember all that good shit Microsoft was talking about unions, and how much a big portion of unionized labour bought that?

Hm! Interesting! Interesting that this has happened and that labour can't trust capital until they've already got the legal protections in place!

Microsoft's not actually named in the complaint, given they're not the company laying off these COD QA contractors. It still sucks and the tech industry's preference for unregulated subcontracting is a continual problem though.

Y'all might remember all that good shit Microsoft was talking about unions, and how much a big portion of unionized labour bought that?

Hm! Interesting! Interesting that this has happened and that labour can't trust capital until they've already got the legal protections in place!

TODAY: a Microsoft-contracted quality assurance testing company laid off an entire 160-person team because they began organizing, a new ULP alleges. Microsoft has a standing labor neutrality agreement with the union:
You might also remember why unionized labor bought it instead of not.

This is kinda giving me the same vibes as MVG’s recent video on preservation.

You know what, that's fair, I got ahead of myself in my anger. But Microsoft contracting out their labour abuses doesn't speak well for the faith with which they'll treat labour in future (neverminding the thousands of jobs they've slashed in the past six months)

You know what, that's fair, I got ahead of myself in my anger. But Microsoft contracting out their labour abuses doesn't speak well for the faith with which they'll treat labour in future (neverminding the thousands of jobs they've slashed in the past six months)
Companies are hiring and laying off people on a regular basis. Unless you own a company - your position in any company might as well be a position of a person who was laid off. Companies that don't lay off usually don't grow in staff either - and hiring spree happens when the industry (any industry) grows.

I don't see a big deal about that.

I’m really confused as to why Microsoft out of all platform holders do so many interviews/press? I think it’d be a bit more endearing on their behalf if they at least spotlight studio leadership releasing games soon instead of phil, matt, sarah, etc.
Because they are out of touch executives.

If Xbox dies out of the console Race, will they become full 3rd party or will they have a chance to become a distributor for PC that rivals Steam?

Don’t really see xbox hardware ever dying. If they can support the surface for all these years while they continue to sell even worse i don’t see them killing off xbox hardware anytime soon. They can go more niche with it, like a hybrid pc/handheld

If Xbox dies out of the console Race, will they become full 3rd party or will they have a chance to become a distributor for PC that rivals Steam?
I swear, there's few things that baffle me as much as how bad Microsoft is at distributing games for Windows. Do they not realize they own the platform? Do they not realize it's a market a hundred times bigger than xbox?

I've been using Xbox app on PC and having no problem at all. It's a good experience. One thing that i would want is exactly the same UI of Xbox. Overall i'm really liking. I've bought a GameSir Nova Lite and it's better and cheaper than Xbox controller. Also has Hall Effect.

Microsoft could put more games there, for sure. I would put more legacy games, likely a deal with Sega to put all their old consoles catalog there. Also, an Xbox and Xbox 360 official emulator should be great.

I really don't understand the hate on Xbox PC App.

Don’t really see xbox hardware ever dying. If they can support the surface for all these years while they continue to sell even worse i don’t see them killing off xbox hardware anytime soon. They can go more niche with it, like a hybrid pc/handheld
given the reports that Microsoft daddy is now on the neck of Xbox after 71 Billions check for Activision, I wont be surprised if they do something drastic if hardware sales dont improve

I swear, there's few things that baffle me as much as how bad Microsoft is at distributing games for Windows. Do they not realize they own the platform? Do they not realize it's a market a hundred times bigger than xbox?
Everything about Xbox is baffling, They have unlimited pocket money and yet they have failed to do the same Sony did for 20 years (Pay the F out of 3rd parties to keep games either exclusive or away from singled out competitors)

Everything about Xbox is baffling, They have unlimited pocket money and yet they have failed to do the same Sony did for 20 years (Pay the F out of 3rd parties to keep games either exclusive or away from singled out competitors)

thats what the 75-80b dollars was for…

Otherwise publishers aren’t gonna do timed exclusivity for such a small install base no matter how much money is being offered. Sony can barely get timed deals without doing a whole 2nd party agreement anymore. Shit, they can’t even afford to keep their own games exclusive to their platforms anymore.

They did it in the last 4-5 years of the 360 era but then stopped.

If he was totally honest he would have to said that Aaron is wrong, Hi-Fi Rush is a good game but did nothing for the business, Mikami already left and they saw no value in keeping Tango open since they are on pressure to increase profits and Arkane Austin made a grotesque work on Redfall that is a huge flop.

No one expects this level of sincerity for an executive so this empty awser was expected and Ryan also as expected moved on quickly to a new subject.

Also Tango being on country across the ocean is another barrier that MS would not want to really manage. In the past Mikami is there so they feel it is on safe hand. Now? With new leadership and increasing pressure. Sadly they would just choose to shut it.

given the reports that Microsoft daddy is now on the neck of Xbox after 71 Billions check for Activision, I wont be surprised if they do something drastic if hardware sales dont improve

Have you just forgotten stuff like Bioshock and Mass effect was xbox exclusive for a while? Xbox was doing this much more than Sony when they actually had the base to justify it.

Nowadays paying publishers to keep games off a console with triple the base, AND with games being so much more expensive than before, would cost them an absolute fortune. Even Sony doesn't do it much anymore and when they do, it's largely games that wouldn't really sell much on xbox to begin with.

They did it in the last 4-5 years of the 360 era but then stopped.

Have you just forgotten stuff like Bioshock and Mass effect was xbox exclusive for a while? Xbox was doing this much more than Sony when they actually had the base to justify it.

Nowadays paying publishers to keep games off a console with triple the base, AND with games being so much more expensive than before, would cost them an absolute fortune. Even Sony doesn't do it much anymore and when they do, it's largely games that wouldn't really sell much on xbox to begin with.
They managed to do it for 1 generation pretty well during 360. Then everything crumbled during XB1.
Right now surely is more expensive than ever to get exclusive/ exclusion deals (See how the house is crumbling for PS too on that front) but if someone has the pockets to still do that is Microsoft.

They managed to do it for 1 generation pretty well during 360. Then everything crumbled during XB1.
Right now surely is more expensive than ever to get exclusive/ exclusion deals (See how the house is crumbling for PS too on that front) but if someone has the pockets to still do that is Microsoft.
Microsoft doesn't have the money to do this. They need Xbox to stay profitable, this has always been a priority.

There is no reason to use the Xbox ecosystem outside of Xbox consoles and Game Pass, and Game Pass is still console centric. They're a big third party, but to have a chance to compete with Valve on PC they need to take the idea of a storefront seriously first.

Also Tango being on country across the ocean is another barrier that MS would not want to really manage.

Speaking during a live stream held to celebrate the deal this week, Spencer, who has long stated his desire to acquire Japan-based talent, specifically highlighted Tango as a developer he’s looking forward to working with.

“I’m ready to go to Tokyo, to go see Tango [Gameworks], a studio which I have such respect for [and] the history of the creations there,” he said.

I’ve talked for a long time about our desire to have more of a first-party presence in Japan. This is a great step there. Thinking about the map of where these teams are, and talking about all the games they’re working on… I can’t wait to speak to the Tango team and get to know them.”

If it is a barrier for Microsoft a studio is across the ocean, then there are maybe one or two difficulties Spencer will face with his desire to expand more in Japan.

Last edited:

I'd love to say some wild shit about this but I like having a job lol

Lead Gameplay Engineer, Zenimax Online Studios
Sad Prev AI Engineering Lead, Arkane Austin
Prey, Redfall

200.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom