• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Jason Schreier (Bloomberg): At Least Next Three Call of Duty Games on PlayStation

Deadloop and CoD carry way different weights tho, is like comparing the selling power of metroid with Zelda .
Sure, but there would be a lot more money lost if they just cancel the PS version instead of offering them a good transition period (and an opportunity to even buy a new console).
They spent a lot of money to (try to) get Activision and they will want to earn that money back.

It's Monster Hunter Vita all over again, lol.

You can bet on a big Battlefield marketing/DLC deal though. And probably renewed interest in pushing Fortnite and Apex. My only question is if Sony tries to fast track an internal war shooter now?

It remains to be seen what is the nature of the marketing deal between Xbox and Battlefield (if it's for several entries or years like Sony with COD).

Although I think that Battlefield is in a very very bad spot for the future considering that BF2042 is already dying and I don't believe it can be salvaged. They had the perfect opportunity to bring back Battlefield in force (especially after the disappointing performance of BFV) with the return to modern warfare, there was immense hype for the trailers and then it crashed (despite EA putting 4 studios on the game). I don't see how they will solve the Battlefield situation.

Sure, but there would be a lot more money lost if they just cancel the PS version instead of offering them a good transition period (and an opportunity to even buy a new console).
They spent a lot of money to (try to) get Activision and they will want to earn that money back.
Im not saying cancelling whatever version is already being made for 2022, but easily they can skip 2023 and that would be a massive profit.
I dont know where people come out with “buy they will lose money if they dont keep releasing CoD in PS”, sure maybe a short term, but anyone thinking that the CoD average userbase wont jump ship towards their game is on, is kidding themselves. Making CoD Xbox/PC exclusive will be a massive long term gain for Xbox.

The idea of basically telling someone to be a 3rd party cause “you will sell more” is as laughable as asking Nintendo to put their games on PC cause it will sell more, which sure in the short term, but keeping it exclusive Nintendo earn more from making people adopt and join their ecosystem/ Sphere of influence.

On the other hand tho, PS do is “going 3rd party” by porting their games to PC either as a honey trap or out right just to squeeze some more $$$$$ out of the game.

Exactly. There is a significant number of consumers who play only Call of Duty. If that game is only available on X-box Gamepass, that’s where they will go.

• Playstation currently has several notable MP teams:
    • Haven, a lot of ex-Ubisoft Montreal (Assassins Creed, For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege) veterans.
    • Naughty Dog, TLOU Factions. Incredibly popular on PS3/4, and everything suggests this is a fully fleshed MP only title.
    • Guerilla Games, Rainbow Six Siege director is heading a MP game for years now.
    • Deviation games, ex-COD team, already has 100+ employees.
Maybe it's me being pessimistic but "notable" seems charitable way to put it, since it's expected and therefore hardly note-worthy how newly formed studios or teams have industry key figureheads and/or developers who have previously worked on prestige franchises. For every Kojima Productions/Death Stranding success story we have more examples where new studios have either failed on shipping a competitive game or gaining sustainable player base. Cliff Bleszinski's Boss Key Studios was shut-down, since nobody cared about LawBreakers and Radical Heights. Ex-Halo director, Marcus Lehto's Disintegration was published by T2 Private Division and now he has moved to work on another shooter under EA. Patrice Desilets Ancestors game came & went. I have already forgotten that PS5 exclusive car mayhem online title and I assume the same goes to the rest of the PS5 owners.

Naughty Dog still haven't lost their streak so it's not out of this realm to imagine how Factions will garner healthy player base. The rest three are unknowns. Especially Haven and Deviation Games due to being new studios working presumably new IP's. However, on the context of "what game(s) will replace COD on PlayStation" none of the above will do that - that's a safe bet.

Im not saying cancelling whatever version is already being made for 2022, but easily they can skip 2023 and that would be a massive profit.
I dont know where people come out with “buy they will lose money if they dont keep releasing CoD in PS”, sure maybe a short term, but anyone thinking that the CoD average userbase wont jump ship towards their game is on, is kidding themselves. Making CoD Xbox/PC exclusive will be a massive long term gain for Xbox.

The idea of basically telling someone to be a 3rd party cause “you will sell more” is as laughable as asking Nintendo to put their games on PC cause it will sell more, which sure in the short term, but keeping it exclusive Nintendo earn more from making people adopt and join their ecosystem/ Sphere of influence.

On the other hand tho, PS do is “going 3rd party” by porting their games to PC either as a honey trap or out right just to squeeze some more $$$$$ out of the game.

After a week of worrying about some large portion leaving PlayStation due to COD being exclusive.... after doing some research, some asking around and looking at how some of the more casual online PS groups have reacted....I am no longer worried.

This is definitely going to hurt COD a lot more than PlayStation.

Most people are not even phased.

Personally, I buy COD almost every year (Not this year cause it didn't look good to me) for both the campaign and multiplayer but I am excited to see what games and deals Sony do to fill the space.

The only one that this will hurt is retail and physical game sales, physical stores offer competition to the walled garden stores and I think we all know Xbox and their fans want to see an end to physical even though PS and Nintendo fans still enjoy the option quite a lot.

After a week of worrying about some large portion leaving PlayStation due to COD being exclusive.... after doing some research, some asking around and looking at how some of the more casual online PS groups have reacted....I am no longer worried.

This is definitely going to hurt COD a lot more than PlayStation.

Most people are not even phased.

Personally, I buy COD almost every year (Not this year cause it didn't look good to me) for both the campaign and multiplayer but I am excited to see what games and deals Sony do to fill the space.

The only one that this will hurt is retail and physical game sales, physical stores offer competition to the walled garden stores and I think we all know Xbox and their fans want to see an end to physical even though PS and Nintendo fans still enjoy the option quite a lot.
Not to dismiss your opinion but im sure your circle of friend and aquitances might not be the best reflection of the cod userbase given it tally on the double digit millions.

If people migrated from Xbox 360 to PS4 to be able to keep playing CoD with the best options, why wont it happends backwards again?

Last edited:
Not to dismiss your opinion but im sure your circle of friend and aquitances might not be the best reflection of the cod userbase given it tally on the double digit millions.

I'm sure some people might pick up an S and maybe some will change but my impression is that it simply isn't as significant as I thought it would be.

I think about 3 million is the upper figure on how many people would really change over for just COD. Just a guess.... but if someone was expecting to get all the COD players to move over... they are deluded. It will be a fraction of the base.

The time CoD would become exclusive would be closer to the midlife of the generation. The type of people that would be moving over to Xbox for CoD are in general just people who only buy sports games, CoD and GTA plus maybe Skyrim or something like that. They're not going to be active in dedicated online groups for gaming as it probably isn't that big of a thing in their life. Though the concern for PlayStation is probably the PS+ subscriptions more than console sales since many of those kinds of people are only paying for it for CoD and such

considering today's standard development leadtime for this big western productions, I can totally see 2022/2023 iterations to still be somehow bonded to contractual deals with Sony and so, to be released also on PlayStation (4 and 5)

I'm sure some people might pick up an S and maybe some will change but my impression is that it simply isn't as significant as I thought it would be.

I think about 3 million is the upper figure on how many people would really change over for just COD. Just a guess.... but if someone was expecting to get all the COD players to move over... they are deluded. It will be a fraction of the base.
given the load of people that swapped Xbox360 to PS4, I think you are being a little biased on how much buying power the CoD brand carries. ironically, a feature sony is (was?) commonly against might be the silver lining to prevent a mass exodus, and that is cross play. so 1 friend moving out of the system wont mean all other having to move too to be able to still play with him
Like you only need to see how often CoD places on the monthly Ranking in NPD (even comparing to PS exclusives) to have a sense of many much the game itself sell over some exclusives.

given the load of people that swapped Xbox360 to PS4, I think you are being a little biased on how much buying power the CoD brand carries. ironically, a feature sony is (was?) commonly against might be the silver lining to prevent a mass exodus, and that is cross play. so 1 friend moving out of the system wont mean all other having to move too to be able to still play with him
Like you only need to see how often CoD places on the monthly Ranking in NPD (even comparing to PS exclusives) to have a sense of many much the game itself sell over some exclusives.
It's the exact opposite. Cross-play is what allows a mass exodus, as players are no longer locked onto a single platform. You don't need to buy the same console as your friends in order to play online with them anymore.

This is precisely why Sony fought tooth and nail to prevent cross-play from happening; they wanted to keep their player base locked onto their platform.

COD was featured prominently in the XOne reveal and was aligned with the brand well into the period when PS4 already was pulling away in sales.
Perhaps it accelerated things eventually but I don't think it had much to do with PS4 winning in the first 3 years.

And as I have said PlayStation was massive before COD was a thing, COD is more likely to crater in sales than PlayStation.... there are still innumerable reasons to own a PlayStation.

BTW, I also did not agree with crossplay from a business strategy standpoint.

Poll from COD reddit.... most never changed to PS it seems and only a small amount would buy an Xbox or PC for the game.

Last edited:
There’s obviously more PS fans than COD fans, but you cant use anecdotal evidence to see how many people are going to move to another platform because of this, even Sony and MS dont know for sure, although they have alot more data than we do.

This will hurt PS, theres no doubt about it.

There’s obviously more PS fans than COD fans, but you cant use anecdotal evidence to see how many people are going to move to another platform because of this, even Sony and MS dont know for sure, although they have alot more data than we do.

This will hurt PS, theres no doubt about it.

That reddit page has almost 750k members... it is a poll, not anecdotal.

Do you know what anecdotal means? Not trying to be mean.... you are not using the word correctly.

Of course the sample of the poll could be biased or poisoned in some way but that is a different matter.

I am not saying it won't hurt PS at all....I am saying it looks like the damage will be pretty minuscule.

That reddit page has almost 750k members... it is a poll, not anecdotal.

Do you know what anecdotal means? Not trying to be mean.... you are not using the word correctly.

Of course the sample of the poll could be biased or poisoned in some way but that is a different matter.

I am not saying it won't hurt PS at all....I am saying it looks like the damage will be pretty minuscule.

Theres over 100 million PS fans and tens of millions of COD fans, and online polls arent overly reliable because they skew so heavily towards certain demographics.

We have no idea how many PS users will change platforms because of this, even if that poll grows by a factor of 1000x

Of course losing CoD will significantly impact Playstation. CoD is the biggest third party game.

It's not just Call of Duty. Microsoft now has several FPS developers making everything from story-based shooters to co-op shooters. There's also cross-play and Gamepass to make entering the ecosystem frictionless.

WRPGs are another genre where they have the lion's share of developers.

COD was featured prominently in the XOne reveal and was aligned with the brand well into the period when PS4 already was pulling away in sales.
Perhaps it accelerated things eventually but I don't think it had much to do with PS4 winning in the first 3 years.

And as I have said PlayStation was massive before COD was a thing, COD is more likely to crater in sales than PlayStation.... there are still innumerable reasons to own a PlayStation.

BTW, I also did not agree with crossplay from a business strategy standpoint.

Poll from COD reddit.... most never changed to PS it seems and only a small amount would buy an Xbox or PC for the game.

NPD data paints a different picture for the PS4. (add another place to COD vanguard in top 20).

tZoajzX.jpg

Yeeeeeaaahhh...you can't just look at that and say the blow the ActiBlizz acquisition is going to be minuscule.

COD has 3-4 more years covered at the least..... there are so many shooters out and in development that Sony can leverage to fill those gaps.

Another thing you're not considering is that the biggest shooters now are not sold, they are free to play..... Apex, Fortnite, Splitgate, PUBG etc.

They could go for Valorant console exclusive, they could get deals with Bungie....or they can wait on one of the several shooters they have in development.

They could partner or buy Splitgate and help them develop the IP too...

Loads of options. It is easier just to spend your money on another great shooter than to go out sell a great console with tons of amazing games releasing every year and buy another console where you have to start your whole library of games again. Use logic.

Saying that PS losing mainline COD isn't too big of a deal because other shooters exist on PS4/5 is like saying that Nintendo losing mainline Pokemon isn't too big of a deal because other JRPGs exist on Switch.

According to jason it's not even 2 years, unless you are expecting major delays but that's not likely given the franchise history
COD2023 is going to be the latest mainline game until very near the end of 2024. Three years is a reasonable framing of the situation (though I certainly wouldn't say 3 - 4 years. I'd characterize it as 2 - 3 years.)

COD2023 is going to be the latest mainline game until very near the end of 2024. Three years is a reasonable framing of the situation (though I certainly wouldn't say 3 - 4 years. I'd characterize it as 2 - 3 years.)

My estimation includes a period after when Warzone 2 launches that it will retain enough players to be considered viable on PS5.

NPD data paints a different picture for the PS4. (add another place to COD vanguard in top 20).

tZoajzX.jpg

This was as of Feb 2020. Since then...
- Black Ops Cold War released in Nov 2020 and is guaranteed to be one of the Top 10 (if not Top 5) best-selling PS4 games.
- Vanguard released in Nov 2021, and while it underperformed, it will still be one of the Top 20 best-selling PS4 games.
- Modern Warfare 2019 has outsold WWII and may even have outsold Red Dead Redemption 2 (it was charting in the NPD Top 20 throughout 2020 and 2021, which means it had amazing legs).

COD is massive on PlayStation in the US market.

This was as of Feb 2020. Since then...
- Black Ops Cold War released in Nov 2020 and is guaranteed to be one of the Top 10 (if not Top 5) best-selling PS4 games.
- Vanguard released in Nov 2021, and while it underperformed, it will still be one of the Top 20 best-selling PS4 games.
- Modern Warfare 2019 has outsold WWII and may even have outsold Red Dead Redemption 2 (it was charting in the NPD Top 20 throughout 2020 and 2021, which means it had amazing legs).

COD is massive on PlayStation in the US market.
Yea you're correct. so 8 out of 20 best selling games ever in US (Biggest gaming market) is COD. That's not even factoring in MTX revenue it brings to Sony. Saying it isn't a huge blow is downplaying it heavily.

Back
Top Bottom