• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Japan: 2023 box office data (admissions, revenue, Top 34 domestic and Top 15 foreign movies)

Lite_Agent

Expert
Where there's a Nopon, there's a meh.
Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan just shared their report for movie business in Japan 2023. You can find the full report on this page.

Some stats about the market as a whole:

J3on99U.png

Top 15 foreign movies
  1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (14.02 billion Yen / $94.8 million. As of October 18th, box office revenue was at 14,000,490,640 Yen)
  2. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning (5.43 billion Yen / $36.7 million)
  3. Avatar: The Way of Water (4.31 billion Yen / $29.1 million)
  4. Fast X
  5. The Little Mermaid
  6. Elementals
  7. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  8. BTS:Yet To Come in Cinemas
  9. The Haunted Mansion
  10. Meg 2: The Trench
rgatIcs.png

Domestic movies
  1. THE FIRST SLAM DUNK (15.87 billion Yen / $107.3 million)
  2. Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine (13.88 billion Yen / $93.8 million)
  3. The Boy and the Heron (8.84 billion Yen / $59.8 million)
  4. Kingdom 3: Flame of Destiny
  5. Godzilla Minus One
  6. Don't Call It Mystery
  7. TOKYO Mobile Emergency Room
  8. Doraemon: Nobita's Sky Utopia
  9. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – To the Swordsmith Village
  10. IDOLiSH7 the Movie LIVE 4bit BEYOND THE PERiOD
fZpTekp.png

RdZTJOf.png

* = movies still showing in theatres.

Wait why is an anime movie from May still in theaters? Like the few movies from September seem like a long run but possible and the Boy and the Heron likely got another run but, why is Idolish7 in any theaters at this point?

Is the underperformance of The Boy and the Heron, relatively to previous Ghibli movies, due to the minimal marketing campaign?

Still weird to me how Japan was like the only market in the world where Way of the water severely underperformed compared to the original Avatar.

Is the underperformance of The Boy and the Heron, relatively to previous Ghibli movies, due to the minimal marketing campaign?
Opening was good so I'd say no, the problem was WoM and legs.
Still weird to me how Japan was like the only market in the world where Way of the water severely underperformed compared to the original Avatar.
Japan isn't a sequel market, almost all sequels drop like rocks.

Domestic movies is doing well. Surpass 2019 and very close to all time record ( 148,181 million yen (2023) vs 148,608 million yen (2016). Foreign movies recovery is slow still 38% below 2019.

Domestic movies is doing well. Surpass 2019 and very close to all time record ( 148,181 million yen (2023) vs 148,608 million yen (2016). Foreign movies recovery is slow still 38% below 2019.
I assume this is in no small part due to many big Hollywood movies either underperforming or straight up bombing last year (which was a pretty wild year in many ways).

Back
Top Bottom