• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Italian Videogame Industry/Market (2020)

Aostia82

Enthusiast
rapporto-censis-iidea.jpg

IIDEA and Censis published an interesting report about Italian videogame market (2020), taking into consideration its global numbers but also its possible potential interest for Italian economy, occupation and social/cultural behaviours

In terms of sales (the main focus of this message board) these are the main take aways:

THE MARKET

Global spending generated by the videogame market in Italy 2020:
- €2,2 billions
- + 21,9% compared to 2019
- more that double compared to 2016 (€1 billion)

Hardware (consoles + accessories) generated spending 2020:
- €395 millions
- +10,3% compared to 2019)

Software generated spending 2020:
- €1,8 billions
- +24,8% compared to 2019

THE INDUSTRY

N° of Italian based companies active on the territory: 160 (up from the 120 that were active in 2018)
Global turnover: €90 millions (26% of the companies has a turnover >€500.000 - up from the 17% of 2018)
N° of active job profiles in the territory > 1.600 people (+45% compared to 2018)
Average age of employees: 79% of people is younger than 36YO
Major markets for Italian videogame products: 94% of the turnover generated by Italian videogame companies is "international" (vs domestic): 60% from other European countries/25% from the US

2020-videogiochi-ita-iidea-1920x1000.jpg

THE CHARTS
These numbers comes from another IIDEA report (March 21), about the sales of the Italian market (2020)
The sources of this report are the following:
Interactive Software Federation of Europe, ISFE - including data from various sources like:
- GSD (Games Sales Data) for retail data (physical)
- GSD (Games Sales Data) and GameTrack for digital products/Sales
- App Annie and Game Track for mobile segment

The main data have been published on my website back in March:
Switchitalia

Global chart (all platforms, physical + digital)
- 1st place: FIFA 21
- 2nd place: Grand Theft Auto V
- 3rd place: FIFA 20

ExKGgKWWgAE_a89

Best seller genres
Consoles:
- Action Games
- Sports Games
- Adventure Games

PC:
- Action Games
- Adventure Games
- Strategy Games

Top-genres-1140x612.jpg

Home consoles vs Portable consoles market share
cc7f7a35b1e387a852b354765106a834-Copia.jpg

Videogamers demographics and playing behaviours
cc7f7a35b1e387a852b354765106a834-Copia.jpg

This is great! Do you know if Switch Lite is included in Portable Consoles or it's still part of Home Consoles?

Good question
In the March report they dont explicit the Lite anywhere

I am digging the 72 pages of the new one to look for it

This is great! Do you know if Switch Lite is included in Portable Consoles or it's still part of Home Consoles?

Good question
In the March report they dont explicit the Lite anywhere

I am digging the 72 pages of the new one to look for it
If it is like the French report, and it seems like it is given the volume, they are included into portable consoles.

Me and @Ryng™ had a discussion about this months ago and it's nearly impossible that Switch Lite sales are included in "New Gen", either for the fact that 3DS sales are almost dead, either due to Switch total sales being up yoy and that growth can't be included in that category

I wonder how much of that employee growth is due to Ubisoft Milan expanding. They are pretty much the only big studio here.
Wrong, the biggest one is Milestone (Moto GP) with 150 employees and then there is Ubisoft Milan at around 100 employees

I wonder how much of that employee growth is due to Ubisoft Milan expanding. They are pretty much the only big studio here.
I don't even know if Ubisoft Milan expanded that much after Mario+Rabbids, the reason why the scope of the sequel is so big is that they included more Ubisoft Studios, iirc they said 6 studios are involved in this one compared to mostly Paris and Milan in the first game.

Me and @Ryng™ had a discussion about this months ago and it's nearly impossible that Switch Lite sales are included in "New Gen", either for the fact that 3DS sales are almost dead, either due to Switch total sales being up yoy and that growth can't be included in that category

That makes sense
Probably that 18% market share for portable consoles is almost entirerly based on the Lite lol

As other pointed out, Milestone still is significantly bigger

Seeing Dragon Ball and Gran Turismo in the list is interesting. Nice to see though games find a big enough audience. Especially GT Sport being so old. When I see American and European charts I always like to look for the oddballs.

Seeing Dragon Ball and Gran Turismo in the list is interesting. Nice to see though games find a big enough audience. Especially GT Sport being so old. When I see American and European charts I always like to look for the oddballs.

Here in Italy Gran Turismo has been equivalent of videogame for such a long time...

Gran Turismo 7 is going to one of the titles to follow in EU and especially in certain EU countries where it damn popular

I should get a 2021 report around the end of March.
If so, I'll post it on IB (should I make another thread, similar to this one?)

Thank you very much for the thread, very interesting. It will be interesting too to understand better the portable category. I wonder if it include the hybrid switch too, i think it does

Thank you very much for the thread, very interesting. It will be interesting too to understand better the portable category. I wonder if it include the hybrid switch too, i think it does

it seems "portable" segment is just the Nintendo Switch Lite
The OLED (and so I think the "base Switch" too) are counted towards home console segment

Just received confirmation about these info
Hopefully the full report of the Italian market/2021 will be available later this week

EDIT: to clarify - "Portable devices" include ALSO the Nintendo Switch Lite (not only - but it accounts for the very vast majority of those numbers); other Switch versions (base and OLED) are counted separately (as home consoles) and so to have the global picture of Switch numbers you have to consider "both" side of things (Lite + base + OLED)

Report WILL arrive later this week (probably even tomorrow) for 2021

Last edited:
Pretty impressive that Ring Fit managed to outperform other Switch evergreens like Smash, BotW and Odyssey on top of Monster Hunter Rise which has a sizable community and Mario Party Superstars aswell. Also Switch (OG+OLED) has the most playtime out of all platforms (9 hours a week) while Portable Consoles, which consists mostly of Switch Lites, has the lowest average playtime excluding PS3/360.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom