• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Install Base's Sales of the Year Awards - Let's vote ! [Full results !]

Hello everyone !

Now that 2021 is over and that we got a deluge of data and sales milestones with the financial reports earlier in the month, it is time for Install Base to hold its first edition of its Sales of the Year Awards !

This is our own take on the usual GOTY formula, which will reward the sales success of the year and the most impactful actors of 2021. Each category will allow you to pick three choices which will be granted the following points :

1. 3 pts
  2. 2 pts
  3. 1 pt

Also, we are expecting members to explain their picks by a few words at least. Without further ado, here are the categories !

• Rookie of the Year - rewards a new IP that successfully set up the potential for a strong and enduring franchise
  • Niche Success of the Year - rewards a game from a ongoing franchise that never crossed 1m before
  • Mobile Success of the Year - rewards the most successful mobile game of the year
  • Acquisition of the Year - rewards the acquistion that has and will have the bigger impact on the industry's landscape
  • Publisher of the Year - rewards the publisher that had the most successful year through its market share, games, services or overall health
  • Worst Publisher of the Year - goes to the publisher that had the biggest issues of the year through its market share, games, services or overall health
  • Upcoming biggest Success of 2022 - rewards the game/hardware/publisher/service (etc) expected to have the most success in 2022
  • Flop of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that disappointed the most
  • Sales of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that was the most successful

Exemple of formating:

Rookie of the Year
- rewards a new IP that successfully set up the potential for a strong and enduring franchise

1. Game 1 - explanations
  2. Game 2 - explanations
  3. Game 3 - explanations

[...]

The votes are open until March 6th 23:59 CEST. I really hope you'll be many to contribute and have fun in doing so :)

In addition to this, alongside publishing the full results, we'll try to make a tiered list of the most successful games/hardware/services of 2021, but more on that (hopefully) later !

Really can't wait to see your picks ;)

Last edited:
Can certain categories be for games not released in 2021?

Example Mario Kart 8 Deluxe / Spiderman for “Sales of the Year”

Great thread btw! I think we should name a bunch of candidates to make it easier cuz I’m trying to think of a few off the top of my head lol.

I'll try:

Rookie of the Year - rewards a new IP that successfully set up the potential for a strong and enduring franchise
1. Psychonauts 2 - if this doesn't count, so be it. But the first Psychonauts really was more of an insider's tip, whereas Psychonauts 2 established the ip as a strong, quality franchise that hopefully will have a bright future.

Niche Success of the Year - rewards a game from a ongoing franchise that never crossed 1m before
1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - if the million has to be broken in 2021, it doesn't count I guess. Honestly, I don't know any games that fit here :>

Mobile Success of the Year - rewards the most successful mobile game of the year
1. Fire Emblem: Heroes - we know from Nintendo's reports that it's a surprisingly successful money-maker. And it's kinda fun, too.

Acquisition of the Year - rewards the acquistion that has and will have the bigger impact on the industry's landscape
1. Microsoft acquiring Zenimax/Bethesda - Nothing else came close. And they'll win this year, too, lol

Publisher of the Year - rewards the publisher that had the most successful year through its market share, games, services or overall health
1. Microsoft - amazing software releases, plus future-thinking with acquisitions, pushing GamePass. Great job both for the company and gamers.
2. Take Two - the ongoing power of GTA5 is frightening and recent news about GTA6 being developed (duh) shook the gaming world. Only big things to come.
3. Konami - simply for still riding the Momotaro Densetsu-high. Not following it up with much new software is dumb, especially no Winning Eleven, but for a publisher that was one believed to be dead after the #FuckKonami disaster, it's an amazing turnaround.

Worst Publisher of the Year - goes to the publisher that had the biggest issues of the year through its market share, games, services or overall health
1. Sony Interactive Entertainment - Yes, there are supply constraints. But sending less than 5k consoles to Japan during Christmas was shameful. Also making several 1st-party games crossgen due to hw sales issues, while 3rd-parties are expected to release their games PS5-exclusive is bad form, too, looking at FF16 here. And lastly, technically end of 2020, raising the price of games to 70 dollars just so. I see a lot of problems approaching Sony in the mid-future.
2. Bandai Namco - The ongoing dismissive attitude towards Switch can not be explained rationally. By sheer volume of missed sales opportunity, BN is my easy number 2 pick.
3. Sega - for similar reasons as BN, just on a smaller scale. The Kimetsu no Yaiba-disaster, the ongoing weird "no Persona 5 on Switch", and stuff like Sakura Wars missing.

Upcoming biggest Success of 2022 - rewards the game/hardware/publisher/service (etc) expected to have the most success in 2022
1. Pokemon Legends Areus - I think sales will keep going strong. This game is a message towards Gamefreak/TPC and they better accept the pressure and apply it to gen9.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 - The first BotW was/is a sales phenomenon. If Nintendo doesn't screw up, this will be a megaton event release.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Talking relatively, ofc. The perfect storm has been brewing for this game and I an see the game hit 2.5 mio units this year comfortably, with strong legs leading to an open end

Flop of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that disappointed the most
1. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Hinokami Chronicles - I still remember some 1 mio-predictions for this game, lol. Even then, a game for the most hype anime currently airing - this should have sold a ton. And yet it quickly disappeard from Top10 after a disappointing opening week, too. The late Switch-version might actually outsell the original release. Unbelievable.
2. PlayStation 5 hardware - Talking from a Japan-centric pov here, but still, the shipments during Christmas were just not okay. The West wouldn't have noticed whether there's 10k less units, but Japan severely felt these lacking numbers. Never before did it feel that much that Sony has given up on Japan.
3. Scarlet Nexus - similar to KnY: massive hype before release, then less than impressive fw sales, quickly vanishing from charts, and rather quickly appearing on GamePass. Total marketing-wannabe game.

Sales of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that was the most successful
1. GamePass - really made my year personally, but also was a huge hit with gamers worldwide during this 2nd year of Corona. So many success stories for Halo, Forza, Psychonauts, etc., too
2. Forza Horizon 5 - deserves a separate mention, because realistic racing games (even if on the arcadey side) are not an easy sell nowadas, and GamePass just made so many people give this a try DESPITE the genre.
3. Xbox Series S - for whatever reason, the Series S was better available than either Series X or PS5, and that lead to some noticeable success. Real nextgen-gaming for a ridiculous small price, is a concept I'm very sympatheti towards, even if I personally don't have a need for an Xbox because I have a gaming-PC.

(I might be missing some obvious games/servies/happenings, so I might edit the above ^^)

Last edited:
Template
Took Tokuiten's post and scrapped all his answers to create a template:

Rookie of the Year - rewards a new IP that successfully set up the potential for a strong and enduring franchise

Niche Success of the Year - rewards a game from a ongoing franchise that never crossed 1m before

Mobile Success of the Year - rewards the most successful mobile game of the year

Acquisition of the Year - rewards the acquistion that has and will have the bigger impact on the industry's landscape

Publisher of the Year - rewards the publisher that had the most successful year through its market share, games, services or overall health

Worst Publisher of the Year - goes to the publisher that had the biggest issues of the year through its market share, games, services or overall health

Upcoming biggest Success of 2022 - rewards the game/hardware/publisher/service (etc) expected to have the most success in 2022

Sales of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that was the most successful

Feel free to copy-paste.

Last edited:
1. Buddy Mission Bond - Received the Excellence Awards at Japan Game Awards 2021. Live music and stage shows ongoing.

1. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - Fans have spoken up and have saved the franchise
2. Winning Post 9 2021 - Trending upward in popularity probably thanks to another horse racing game
3. Blue Reflection: Second Light - The sequel has been greatly improved massively

1. Three Kingdoms Tactics - Regulars in the Top 10 chart
2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms Hadou - Still very popular
3. Shin Hokuto Musou - Doing very well

1. KT hiring 72 new employees in 2021 - Someone in there could be the next Miyamoto or Kojima

1. Koei Tecmo - Doing just fine

1. Capcom - Very hostile to other publisher
2. Capcom - Turn Resident Evil into a FPS and abandon Japan
3. Capcom - Rise and Stories still not available on PS/Xbox

1. Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream - High Demand
2. Touken Ranbu Warriors - High Demand
3. Nobunaga Ambition: Rebirth - High Demand

1. RE RE:Verse - Was supposed to be a free pack in day 1. A total deception.
2. RE Village - Sold less than expected, especially Japan
3. MH Rise - Also not selling as well as expected

1. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Great
2. Nioh 2 - Good
3. Dynasty Warriors 9 - Okay

• Rookie of the Year - rewards a new IP that successfully set up the potential for a strong and enduring franchise
  1. It Takes Two: A brand new IP that got critical and commercial acclaim, 5 million is a great result for this game.
  2. Back 4 Blood: This Left 4 Dead spiritual successor seems to have done well and cemented itself as a worthy follow-up.
  3. Kena: This game was quite the success critically and commercially for a new studio like Ember Labs.
  • Niche Success of the Year - rewards a game from a ongoing franchise that never crossed 1m before
  1. Monster Hunter Stories 2: This sequel to a 3DS game really outperformed expectations and sold quite well considering the first game didn't light the charts on fire.
  2. SMT V: Not quite at 1 million yet, but it will get there which is a very impressive result for a series that sold so much less before.
  3. Psychonauts 2: A very late sequel that has likely outsold its predecessor and it also had the benefit of Gamepass as well.
  • Mobile Success of the Year - rewards the most successful mobile game of the year
  1. Genshin Impact: Not completely a mobile game, but this game continues to rake in the money on mobile and has been massively successful on all platforms.
  2. Roblox: This game makes so much money and is the reason Roblox is such a valuable company.
  3. Pokemon Go: This game continues to make money years after release and it's very impressive.
  • Acquisition of the Year - rewards the acquistion that has and will have the bigger impact on the industry's landscape
  1. Bethesda/Zenimax: Technically completed this year and added a massive amount of studios to Xbox's lineup which will greatly benefit them in the future, especially with Gamepaass.
  2. WarnerMedia/Discovery Merger: Sort of an acquisition, but shifting ownership to a new company will make any future games by these companies interesting to watch.
  3. Embracer Group: Nothing specific, just their general acquisition spree and all the studios they acquired in 2021 because it was a lot, but I would say Gearbox if I had to pick one.
  • Publisher of the Year - rewards the publisher that had the most successful year through its market share, games, services or overall health
  1. Nintendo: Not much to say, but their ability to sell hardware and software is beyond any company in the business these days and Mario Kart 8 alone would probably put them on this list, not to mention all their other games.
  2. Capcom: Between Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Ace Attorney 2021 was just an incredibly solid year for Capcom releasing successful games and continuing to build their prowess as a publisher.
  3. Microsoft: Forza and Halo at the end of 2021 alongside the growth of Gamepass are very impressive feats for Microsoft.
  • Worst Publisher of the Year - goes to the publisher that had the biggest issues of the year through its market share, games, services or overall health
  1. Activison-Blizzard: The issues that were exposed at Activision-Blizzard are horrible and hurt them so much they ended up being acquired by Microsoft.
  2. EA: Mainly here due to the failure of Battlefield 2042 which was a major disappointment.
  3. Sega: They are lower on the list, but Sonic Colors Ultimate and Demon Slayer both should have done better.
  • Upcoming biggest Success of 2022 - rewards the game/hardware/publisher/service (etc) expected to have the most success in 2022
  1. Nintendo Switch Sports: People underestimate the popularity of Sport's and with that price I think it will do incredibly well.
  2. Elden Ring: I think this game really could go far and will be the biggest success From Software has had yet.
  3. Pokemon Legends Arceus: Kind of cheating since we already got results, but this game exceeded even my high expectations and is gonna sell well throughout 2022.
  • Flop of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that disappointed the most
  1. Battlefield 2042: This game had so much potential, but as EA themselves have said it underperformed what they wanted.
  2. Destruction All-Stars: For a next-gen exclusive from a publisher like Sony I would have expected more critically and commercially.
  3. NEO TWEWY: Square Enix can't market games without a platform holder, and thus this niche revival died.
  • Sales of the Year - goes to the game/hardware/service that was the most successful
  1. Forza Horizon 5: This game really exceeded my expectations and has put Forza on top in terms of Microsoft's own game development efforts.
  2. Monster Hunter Rise: Proving that a portable Monster Hunter can still bring in massive sales numbers.
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: In honor of all the Nintendo evergreens that sell better than brand new games.

This took a while longer than I expected to do everything lol, but this was very cool. Looking forward to reading everyone else's responses.

Harder than I thought trying to come up with some of these but I'll give it a go.

• Rookie of the year:

1. it takes two. Never played it personally but seems to be chugging along from what I can see.

2. Kena: bridge of spirits. Same for it takes two.

3. Nickelodeon all star brawl if this counts. I remember seeing smash streamers hype this up insanely.

• Niche success of the year:

1. New Pokemon Snap. Haven't had a game since 1999.

2. Tempted to count nickelodeon all stars brawl here too. It launched as smash was ending so people wanted something to fill that void.

3. Returnal. PS5 first real 1st party exclusive of the year and people seem to enjoy it.

• Mobile success of the year:

1. To be honest I only follow pokemon go so I I'm just going with 2 super cop out options

2. Honor of kings

3. CoD mobile

• Acquisition of the year:

1. Aspyr being bought by Sabre.

•Publisher of the year:

1. Nintendo - SM3DW+BF, Dread, AC:NH dlc etc, OLED if that counts.

2. Capcom - was really considering them as one for Rise, Stories 2, RE Village, ghost and goblins remake.

3. Bandai Namco - Snap, Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus, SSBU dlc .

•Worst publisher of the year:

1. Activision Blizzard. All the scandals.
2. Square Enix. Balan Wonderworld. KH for switch cloud ports were announced in 2021. Guardians of the Galaxy got some backlash also.

•Upcoming success of 2022:

1. PLA - already out admittedly but changed up the gameplay and seeing positive reviews for it

2. BotW 2 - assuming it's not delayed, I see this selling gangbusters. Sequel to one of the highest rated games this generation.

3. Switch sports - the casual/Wii sports crowd are going to devour this

•Flop of the year:

1. Balan Wonderworld - almost cliche at this point.

2. Scarlet Nexus. Hype seemed to drop off immediately. Tales of Arise snatched its thunder.

3. Neo: the world ends with you. Seemed to review well but sales weren't there.

• sale of the year:

1. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. - great legs and debut for remakes.

2. MK8D - legs for days and will only grow come 2022 dlc

3. Thought of putting Dread or Rise here but going to cheat and say Smash ultimate dlc. No one expected Sephiroth, Steve and especially Sora.

Wow that was intense and looking back my answers feel kind of generic.

Edit: took out ABK buyout since that was 2022 but didn't know which to go with honestly

Last edited:
* Rookie of the Year: Game Builder Garage. Nintendo doing fun experimental games.

* Niche Success of the Year: Shin Megami Tensei V. Hasn't quite reached a million yet, but quite a game for Atlus and Nintendo.

* Publisher of the Year: Capcom. Monster Hunter Rise and Resident Evil Village would alone be a great release for a publisher but both in the same year in addition to Monster Hunter Stories 2, Capcom Arcade Stadium and Great Ace Attorney Chronicles make a compelling case for Capcom.

* Worst Publisher of the Year: Activision Blizzard. The ongoing scandal which gave Microsoft a window to acquire it makes it easy to say it was one of the worst this year. Diablo II Resurrected having DRM to check that you've been online in the past month is also another example of why they're a bad publisher.
Runner-up: Ubisoft. Toxic workplace, high turnover, insistance that NFTs are good, and their pivot to do mostly GAAS does not give them much esteem in my opinion.

*Upcoming Success of 2022: Elden Ring. Going to possibly be FromSoftware's best selling title and a neat cultural comeback story for George R. R. Martin.

*Flop of the Year: Megaton Musashi. Was both an anime flop and a video game flop. Hino and Level 5 have fallen a long way from their glory days.

*Sales of the Year: Metroid Dread. Samus Aran's triumphant return. And the game that notably showed David Jaffe to be a clown.

This is a work in progress

1. It Takes Two - a simply exceptional game that cemented itself as THE co-op experience of 2020. The 5m milestone is reached and sales remain steady to this day, an adaptation is also around the corner.
2. Valheim - a roaring success from a very small team. The outburst of popularity was mighty impressive but they, imho, failed to capitalize on it by adding platforms. It is always tough for the small teams.

Niche Success of the Year
- rewards a game from a ongoing franchise that never crossed 1m before
1. Monster Hunter Stories 2 - the sequel managed to outsell the first game and to beat Capcom's expectations in an impressive manner. 1.5m sold in 6 months in no small feat.
3. Shin Megami Tensei V - Became the best selling SMT game in less than 2 months. Great critical reception and a solid basis for Atlus' upcoming games.

1. Genshin Impact - since its launch the game managed to gross more than 2B$ in a single year on mobile only, incredible performance.

1. Capcom - The JP publisher manage to have a varied and deep line-up in 2021 that was met with critical and commercial success. Monster Hunter Rise and Resident Evil Village were among the highest rated games of 2021 and the most sucecssful ones.
2. Microsoft - The best year for MS as a publisher since a long time ago. A packed back half manage to push its central service, Game Pass, to new heights.
3. Nintendo - Another very successful year for the Switch and a great brand management from the firm with some successful revivals.

1. Activision - Catastrophic human management, unsustainable model and disappointing CoD sales and engagement.
2. Ubisoft - Declines, NFTs and no light in sight. They lost their touch and are hopelessly chasing trends rather than setting them.
3. Level 5 - RIP

Upcoming biggest Success of 2022
- rewards the game/hardware/publisher/service (etc) expected to have the most success in 2022
1. Elden Ring - A defining game in the making with a broader, in appeal, formula than past From games
2. Nintendo - another strong Switch year, IP expansion, and a record in software sales, the line-up is mighty impressive.
3. Subscription services - Game Pass should lead the way but I am expecting growing revenues from NSO and a successful launch for Sony's Spartacus.

1. Battlefield 2042 - Vanguard's reception being lukewarn was a big opportunity for the franchise, a couple of months after launch and it was struggling to match BFV or BF4 playercount.
2. Grand Theft Auto 3 Trilogy - biggest waste of the year given how easy of a slamdunk it should have been.
3. Call of Duty Vanguard - putting all your dev ressources on a game only for it to underperfom greatly compared to past entries is the definition of failure.

1. Forza Horizon 5 - 18m players and an impressive reception cements FH as one of the biggest 1st party IPs out there and a massive get for Game Pass.
2. Monster Hunter Rise - Best-selling Capcom game with a single SKU, almost 8m units sold, the vast majority at full or Deluxe price in 9 months. With Sunbreak around the corner and the recent PC port, we'll still be talking about MHR sales for quite some time
3. It Takes Two - the legs on this one are very impressive and deserved. It also shows how big the market for that kind of game can be, with some potential left (Switch port).

Last edited:
1. It Takes Two -- the tone was set with A Way Out, but It Takes Two really is the breakout success that puts Hazelight Studios on the map
2. Back 4 Blood -- I'm glad that Turtle Rock has found success with this new game, after Evolve flopped. The game had 6 million players within 2 weeks, thanks to Game Pass, and is now a platform the studio can build further upon.
3. Kena: Bridge of Spirits -- it's a shame we never heard anything about the sales performance of this game, but there was a healthy amount of hype around its release, and the game looks fantastic, so I feel it deserves its spot in this list.

The reason I didn't nominate Valheim is because, while it's an amazing sales success of more than 8 million sales, the studio (Iron Gate) hasn't proportionally scaled-up to a state in which is can successfully support a live service product. Survival games are all the rage on PC, thanks to games like Ark, Monster Hunter and Rust. Valheim has a user score of 95% on Steam, which is amazing, and when there's an update, tens of thousands of people go back to the game, so the mind share is definitely there. However, I feel the developers made a decision to stay at the indie level and that limits the potential of the series. A theoretical sequel has a lot of potential, but I'm currently not convinced that potential will be fully used.

1. Guilty Gear: Strive -- an excellent new installment in the long-running fighting game series, well received, and bringing new players to the series.
2. Psychonauts 2
3. Hot Wheels Unleashed

Mobile Success of the Year
- rewards the most successful mobile game of the year
1. Uma Musume: Pretty Derby -- this game launched in February 2021, is only available in Japan, and managed to gross $965 million in 2021, according to Sensor Tower. This game is an unbelievably big achievement, so it deserves to be my nomination as mobile success of the year.
2. Roblox -- last year was gigantic for Roblox. 20% growth on mobile, almost 50 million(!!) daily active players. There's a whole generation growing up with Roblox as their main perspective of social entertainment.
3. Pokémon GO -- according to Sensor Tower, the game had its best year since launch in 2021, which is an insane achievement for a 5 year old game.

1. Asmodee by Embracer Group -- the Swedish very hungry catterpillar Embracer has been spending its way up the ranks in the console games landscape for a couple of years, and 2021 was a transformative year for them, because they've established a big presence in the mobile game market through the acquisitions of Easybrain in Feb 2021 and CrazyLabs in Aug 2021, but the most significant acquisitions to me were made by them in December: Dark Horse Comics and Asmodee, which mark the expansion of the group outside video games, into comics and physical games. Asmodee is the second-biggest publisher in the world of tabletop games, only behind Hasbro, and has a huge presence in trading card games and other forms of physical gaming. The marriage between Embracer and Asmodee (and Dark Horse) creates an enormous IP catalogue that can be used across PC, mobile, console, VR, tabletop gaming, trading card gaming, books and comics, and has transformed Embracer into a true multimedia conglomerate.
2. Zenimax Media by Microsoft -- this was the first sign Microsoft was willing to spend a lot of money on a group level to make Game Pass a success and to make gaming a mainstay within the company. This deal opened a real acquisition war on the AAA level, with multiple billion-dollar deals following later in the year by other companies.
3. CrazyLabs by Embracer Group -- I've tried to find some other acquisition not by Embracer Group, but basically all other video game acquisitions after Q1 have been at ridiculously high prices/multiples. CrazyLabs is one of the biggest hypercasual mobile publishers in the world. Along with Easybrain, who focuses on puzzle games, CrazyLabs is one of the two major pillars of Embracer's mobile strategy, which will become very important for the company. CrazyLabs invests a lot of talent acquisition from emerging markets, including India, which I feel is also important to grow the industry as a whole.

1. Capcom -- their three main products of the year, Monster Hunter Rise, Resident Evil: Village and Monster Hunter Stories 2, have all exceeded financial expectations and were met with much enthusiasm from both fans and critics.
2. Coffee Stain -- originally a one-hit wonder, thanks to Goat Simulator, but Coffee Stain has made some very strategic investments into its own development studios and third-party indies, whose games they publish. While the first fruits could be reaped in 2019 and 2020, I want to highlight them this year, because 2021 was a year of continued success at great heights for them, thanks to the release of Valheim, and the continued performance of Satisfactory and Deep Rock Galactic (which reached a new apex in January 2022).
3. Outright Games -- this publisher of licensed kids games flies under the radar, but has grown tremendously since its establishment in late 2016. With the help of two new Paw Patrol games, Spirit: Lucky's Big Adventure, and seven other releases, as well as the establishment of their mobile game operations, these guys and girls are one to watch.

1. Ubisoft -- this company is in a disastrous state and that has a big impact on its product output. Assassin's Creed Valhalla has been great, and Just Dance has continued to perform well, both critically and financially, but these don't make up for the number and size of flops. Far Cry, Riders Republic, Roller Champions, the decrease in players of some of their live service games such as Rainbow Six Siege. Their free-to-play games are dead on arrival. Add the sexual harassment scandal and the NFT disaster, and it's clear that 2021 was not a great year, to say the least.
2. Deep Silver -- they've released a couple big flops this year, particularly Chorus, King's Bounty II and Gods Will Fall.
3. Square Enix -- they haven't manage to put Marvel's Avengers back to life, and they've released a worthy successor flop with Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Then add Balan Wonderworld, Outriders, NEO: The World Ends With You, and Life Is Strange: True Colors. Of course Square Enix has a number of successes to compensate for these disappointments, particularly Final Fantasy XIV. But for a company of this size, it's quite embarrassing that they had to stop the sale of the Endwalker expansion. It wasn't a bad year per se, financially, but between the lines, it could've been better.

1. Elden Ring -- the hype is gigantic. Dark Souls III sold more than 10 million units, and this one could go even higher.
2. UFL -- this is a free-to-play football simulation game (a FIFA rival), developed by the Eastern European start-up Strikerz Inc, coming to PC and consoles (but not Switch). The game looks cool, they're collaborating with a number of professional players and clubs, including Cristiano Ronaldo and Romelu Lukaku. You can check out their gameplay reveal showcase here.
3. Slime Rancher 2 -- the original Slime Rancher has been an indie success, which had sold more than 800k units in early access between January 2016 and May 2017 (source), and has now sold more than 5 million copies as of January 2022 (thread). The game is adorable and I have high hopes for the sequel, which is coming to PC, Xbox Series X|S and Game Pass.

1. Battlefield 2042 -- 4.2M players first week despite free with EA Play, Steam CCU went below Battlefield V in 4 weeks and below Battlefield 1 in 6 weeks (comparison). What a disappointment.
2. Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition -- a lot of technical issues, rushed to release, which is so unnecessary for an asset care product.
3. Elite Dangerous: Odyssey -- butched release, due to tons of technical issues, which has really hurt a successful live service product.

1. Oculus Quest 2 -- although we don't have official sales data (only hints), analyst estimates, storefront revenue milestones, and the general buzz around this platform have convinced me that the Quest 2 has pulled VR to the next level. It may not be a console-level performance yet, but slowly but surely the VR market is getting there, and this performance of the Quest 2 in the past year is the first sign of that.
2. Valheim -- more than 8 million units sold, peak CCU of more than 500k, what an indie success story. Not my Rookie of the Year, but definitely an incredible success!
3. Forza Horizon 5 -- what else shall I say?

Honorable mention for Hitman 3, which managed to gross 3x its development costs within 2 months (thread) and whose success is the starting point of a new era for IO Interactive after such a difficult time with Hitman 2016, being cast away by Square Enix, and disappointing sales performance of Hitman 2 (2018).

Last edited:
1. Capcom - Very hostile to other publisher
2. Capcom - Turn Resident Evil into a FPS and abandon Japan
3. Capcom - Rise and Stories still not available on PS/Xbox
1. RE RE:Verse - Was supposed to be a free pack in day 1. A total deception.
2. RE Village - Sold less than expected, especially Japan
3. MH Rise - Also not selling as well as expected
You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder

1. It Takes Two - Massive break out hit
2. Valheim - unexpectedly sold over 8M in a short timeframe
3. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - More successful than I thought it would be

1. Shin Megami Tensei V - Best selling game in the franchise in a very short timeframe
2. Monster Hunter Stories 2 - Overperformed expectations
3. Fatal Frame 5 - Probably the best selling entry in the franchise now

1. Zenimax buyout - Microsoft's first really big gaming acquisition
2. Embracer acquisition spree - They're buying a lot of smaller publishers
3. Bungie - They're going to help Sony make many GAAS

1. Nintendo - The OLED model was a big success and they had a massive year with both hardware and software sales
2. Capcom - MHR, RE Village and MHS2 were all big successes and their catalogue sales are very healthy
3. Microsoft - Game Pass is growing steadily, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite are massive hits and the Xbox Series S saved them partially from the shortages

1. Activision/Blizzard - All of their internal problems with harassment etc. and CoD Vanguard underperforming
2. Square Enix - Kingdom Hearts Cloud Version, Guardian of the Galaxy not selling very well, several flops and NFTs
3. Level-5 - More flops, more delays, how are they still not bankrupt?

1. Nintendo - Their lineup for the year is unprecented
2. Elden Ring - The hype is huge
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC - I believe it will lead to MK8's biggest year ever

1. Balan Wonderworld - Gigaflop of the century, worse in quality than most shovelware
2. Megaton Musashi - Level-5 another step closer to their grave
3. Story of Seasons: PoOt - Because of it's buggy launch it lost out on so many potential sales, could have been way bigger

1. Forza Horizon 5 - Most successful game in the franchise
2. Metroid Dread - Already second best selling Metroid game with the biggest launch in franchise history
3. Monster Hunter Rise - A huge success for Capcom

Last edited:
Suggestions
With one week remaining, I compiled a list of potential answers for people looking for inspiration :

It Takes Two - Massive break out hit
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Back 4 Blood
Buddy Mission Bond
Valheim
Game Builder Garage
Nickelodeon all star brawl

SMTV
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Guilty Gear: Strive
Psychonauts 2
Miitopia
Returnal
Nickelodeon all star brawl
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Pokémon Go
Genshin Impact
Uma Musume: Pretty Derby
Roblox
Fire Emblem: Heroes
Three Kingdoms Tactics

Asmodee by Embracer Group
Zenimax by Microsoft
CrazyLabs by Embracer Group
Warner/Discovery merger
Aspyr being bought by Sabre

Pick among the publishers

Pick among the publishers

Pokémon Legends Arceus
Elden Ring
UCL
Slime Rancher 2
MK8 DLC
Nintendo
Botw2
Switch Sports
Sub services
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Starfield
God of War 2
Hogwart Legacy

EA
Activision Blizzard King
Ubisoft
Level 5
Megaton Musashi
Balan Wonderland
Story of Seasons PoOT
Deep Silver
Square Enix
Battlefield 2042
NEO: TWEWY
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Destruction All Stars
Call of Duty Vanguard
GTA 3 Trilogy
Scarlet Nexus

Capcom
Microsoft
Nintendo
Game Pass
Forza Horizon 5
Monster Hunter Rise
Metroid Dread
Valheim
Oculus Quest 2
Pokémon BD/SP
It Takes Two
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Xbox Series S
Spider-Man Miles Morales

There's less than one week to vote, prioritize the Sales of the year award and work from there for the other (if you have the time) ;)

The 3DS version of Miitopia already sold over 1M copies, so I don't think it fits in the niche success category.

This thread has few replies and I didn't post one myself because I have bad memory and to make a list would take me too much time, but I still find interesting to read other people lists!

This thread has few replies and I didn't post one myself because I have bad memory and to make a list would take me too much time, but I still find interesting to read other people lists!
I’m… I’m just lazy 😭

Tough one, never thought about those categories, so hopefully not messing up.

1. Scarlet Nexus - Not necessarily a rookie, nor probably that big, but I feel like unlike Code Vein, they got good reception, good sales, good potential. A winner to replace God Eater.
2. Vampire Survivors - it won't be a franchise and it's at a different level, but I feel it fits rookie of the year perfectly. Released late december, got super popular only in late January or so. Congrats.

1. Monster Hunter Stories 2 - First game was great, the new one is a level further with nice effort (budget, artstyle, content, support...) and establishes it as a franchise that will get more sequels.
2. Virtua Fighter 5 US/esports - Ok technically it crossed 1m before, but it was deader than dead, and they manage to revive it. Fits the title imo.

1. Uma Musume - seen everywhere, and it already feels like it's been here for way longer than that
2. Genshin Impact - first game feeling like an actual console game, did well, popular, etc

1. Zenimax by Microsoft - it speaks by itself, it's not just a dev and fits their portfolio incredibly well

1. Microsoft - keeps showing their effort in multiple domains to get back on top: gamepass keeps getting stronger, slowly getting better in japan, acquisitions, scores, work with devs, reputation...
2. Koei-Tecmo - continues doing well at their own rhythm, establishing that they can go to a higher level of quality than a lot of people were used to with them, and keep having great budget/etc management.

1. Activision-Blizzard - Is it worth saying why? Awful mismanagement, and not just at the top (although this one is for the Blizzard side)
2. EA - Feels like they're going back to their bad periods of not listening to the market or doing it too late (and becoming a new ubisoft). They're getting worse, despite acting like they're getting better.
3. Ubisoft - not higher because we're used to that now, despite the issues continuing, still being too slow to pivot, lack of creativity and their NFT push.

1. Starfield - Despite still not having shown anything, you can bet a lot of marketing will be spent on it, and it'll be closer to Skyrim than their previous two failures/disappointments (both Fallout related).
2. Elden Ring - cheating a bit as it already released and we know it's a big success on all parts. That's why I put in number 2 instead.
3. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - lol it's pokemon arceus but without looking like an experiment

1. Destruction All Stars - Feel bad for it as I know some devs, but it was Sony's Bleeding Edge equivalent. Surprised they haven't pulled the plug yet.
2. Balan Wonderworld - Poor Yuji Naka.
3. BF 2042 - Deserved for the complete misread of the market and their fanbase, and refusing to admit their faults.

1. Valheim -
2. It Takes Two - coop games sell!
3. MK8DX - evergreenest and now getting dlc

I had some games I wanted to put but noticed they actually are from 2022...

- It Takes Two: the studio always makes new IPs, but this game sales warrant a sequel
- Naraka: Bladepoint: a new successful battle royale game
- Valheim: huge success out of nowhere

- Monster Hunter Stories 2: new AA JRPG selling well over 1 million and counting
- Shin Megami Tensei V: new heights for the series without the Persona branding
- Psychonauts 2: I didn't know it was successful, happy the series is having some commercial success as it's one of the best ever

- Roblox: its enormous
- Uma Musume Pretty Derby: I can't believe this game is actually successful but it's doing great
- Genshin Impact keeps on being one of the biggest anime games ever

- Zenimax: showed that Microsoft takes gamepass very seriously
- Embracer showed us how long its arms are
(I know only the first one is valid for the ranking, sorry)

- Meta: Quest 2 cemented itself as a successful console in the VR realm with good software sales and likely very good software revenue since the deals on the store are not that great; and look at that market share on Steam!
- Capcom: it's always nice to see them doing well with good games
- Amazon: while Lost Ark released in 2022, it just confirmed what New World showed last year, that Amazon has a tremendous reach as a videogame publisher

- Elden Ring was always going to be successful even if saying it now feels like cheating
- Starfield is going to be played by a lot of people also thanks to gamepass
- Switch Sports will sell like over 15 million copies this year (bullish prediction)

- Square Enix: FF14 saved the year for Square Enix, they release many flops
- Activision Blizzard: COD and Blizzard games underperforming and losing players and the shitshow going on
- PS5: it's undermining Playstation brand in Japan and the sales potential of every big game released on it; the software sales have been quite underwhelming so far

- Meta Quest 2 disrupted the VR market and grew the whole pie
- Forza Horizon 5: this series continue to grow, more impressive than Halo Infinite
- Spider-Man Miles Morales: as a spin-off it's overperforming and it might even outsell Spiderman PS4

Last edited:
    • 1 : It Takes Two : New IP that has managed to please players and critics alike with respacable success
    • 2 : Game Builder Garage : 1M for this experiment from Nintendo is a good result
    • 1: Shin Megami Tensei V: here is another franchise that break reccord on Switch. The 3DS game had already sold well (taking into account the situation of the 3DS) so this success does not surprise me but it is always beautiful to see
    • 2: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Great result and well ahead expectations
    • 1: Genshin Impact : The success of this game was already huge last year but MiHoYo brilliantly maintained the momentum during this year
    • 1: Activision-Blizzard : Big impact for the futur not only of Xbox but for the entiere video game market
    • 1: Nintendo : nintendo continues to overperform. Both old and new games have achieved great results.
    • 2: Capcom : he year was exellent for capcom. especially thanks to Monster Hunter Rise and Resident Evil VIII but several other games have been hits.
    • 1: Square-Enix : In my opininion that was not a great year for Square Enix. Many games from them did not sell well.
    • 2: Activision-Blizzards : because of scandals and the failure of COD vanguard
    • 1: The sequel to the legends of Zelda BOTW: with how the first game sell and how people like this game first quarter of this sequel will be huge
    • 1: COD Vanguard : Just by looking of low it charts compared to others COD on all regions were we have data
    • Balan Wonderland: one of the worst rated games of the year and sales are almost non-existent.
    • Megaton Musashi: sad for level 5 but their last game was really struggling.
    • 1: Nintendo Switch : The console dominated hardware and software sales this year again with many games that sold well.
    • 2: Spider-Man Miles Morales : The Evergreen tittle of the PS5. Sales of this game have only followed PS5 stocks over the year a great success for sony
    • 3: Xbox Series S: although digital only this console has found its audience.

Rookie of the Year

1. It Takes Two - 21 pts, 7 times #1
a simply exceptional game that cemented itself as THE co-op experience of 2020. The 5m milestone is reached and sales remain steady to this day, an adaptation is also around the corner.
the tone was set with A Way Out, but It Takes Two really is the breakout success that puts Hazelight Studios on the map
the studio always makes new IPs, but this game sales warrant a sequel
A brand new IP that got critical and commercial acclaim, 5 million is a great result for this game.
2. Kena - 5 pts
This game was quite the success critically and commercially for a new studio like Ember Labs.
it's a shame we never heard anything about the sales performance of this game, but there was a healthy amount of hype around its release, and the game looks fantastic, so I feel it deserves its spot in this list.

2. Valheim - 5 pts
huge success out of nowhere
a roaring success from a very small team. The outburst of popularity was mighty impressive but they, imho, failed to capitalize on it by adding platforms. It is always tough for the small teams.

2. Garage Builder - 5 pts, 1 time #1
Game Builder Garage : 1M for this experiment from Nintendo is a good result
Nintendo doing fun experimental games.

Honorable mention to Back 4 Blood at #5 with 4 points :
I'm glad that Turtle Rock has found success with this new game, after Evolve flopped. The game had 6 million players within 2 weeks, thanks to Game Pass, and is now a platform the studio can build further upon.

Niche Success of the Year

1. Monster Hunter Stories 2 - 16 pts, 4 times #1
This sequel to a 3DS game really outperformed expectations and sold quite well considering the first game didn't light the charts on fire.
First game was great, the new one is a level further with nice effort (budget, artstyle, content, support...) and establishes it as a franchise that will get more sequels.
the sequel managed to outsell the first game and to beat Capcom's expectations in an impressive manner. 1.5m sold in 6 months in no small feat.

2. Shin Megami Tensei V - 15 pts, 3 times #1
Not quite at 1 million yet, but it will get there which is a very impressive result for a series that sold so much less before.
here is another franchise that break reccord on Switch. The 3DS game had already sold well (taking into account the situation of the 3DS) so this success does not surprise me but it is always beautiful to see

3. Psychonauts 2 - 4 pts
A very late sequel that has likely outsold its predecessor and it also had the benefit of Gamepass as well.

Last edited:
Mobile game of the year

1. Genshin Impact - 12 pts, 3 times #1
since its launch the game managed to gross more than 2B$ in a single year on mobile only, incredible performance.
The success of this game was already huge last year but MiHoYo brilliantly maintained the momentum during this year
Not completely a mobile game, but this game continues to rake in the money on mobile and has been massively successful on all platforms.
2. Uma Musume Pretty Derby - 8 pts, 2 times #1
this game launched in February 2021, is only available in Japan, and managed to gross $965 million in 2021, according to Sensor Tower. This game is an unbelievably big achievement, so it deserves to be my nomination as mobile success of the year.
seen everywhere, and it already feels like it's been here for way longer than that
3. Roblox - 7 pts, 1 time #1
its enormous

Honorable mention to Pokémon Go (5 point)

Acquisition of the Year

1. Zenimax by Microsoft - 17 pts, 5 times #1
it speaks by itself, it's not just a dev and fits their portfolio incredibly well
this was the first sign Microsoft was willing to spend a lot of money on a group level to make Game Pass a success and to make gaming a mainstay within the company. This deal opened a real acquisition war on the AAA level, with multiple billion-dollar deals following later in the year by other companies.
Technically completed this year and added a massive amount of studios to Xbox's lineup which will greatly benefit them in the future, especially with Gamepaass.
2. Embracer Group - reflects the many acquisitions of Embracer
Nothing specific, just their general acquisition spree and all the studios they acquired in 2021 because it was a lot, but I would say Gearbox if I had to pick one.
Asmodee by Embracer Group -- the Swedish very hungry catterpillar Embracer has been spending its way up the ranks in the console games landscape for a couple of years, and 2021 was a transformative year for them, because they've established a big presence in the mobile game market through the acquisitions of Easybrain in Feb 2021 and CrazyLabs in Aug 2021, but the most significant acquisitions to me were made by them in December: Dark Horse Comics and Asmodee, which mark the expansion of the group outside video games, into comics and physical games. Asmodee is the second-biggest publisher in the world of tabletop games, only behind Hasbro, and has a huge presence in trading card games and other forms of physical gaming. The marriage between Embracer and Asmodee (and Dark Horse) creates an enormous IP catalogue that can be used across PC, mobile, console, VR, tabletop gaming, trading card gaming, books and comics, and has transformed Embracer into a true multimedia conglomerate.

CrazyLabs by Embracer Group -- I've tried to find some other acquisition not by Embracer Group, but basically all other video game acquisitions after Q1 have been at ridiculously high prices/multiples. CrazyLabs is one of the biggest hypercasual mobile publishers in the world. Along with Easybrain, who focuses on puzzle games, CrazyLabs is one of the two major pillars of Embracer's mobile strategy, which will become very important for the company. CrazyLabs invests a lot of talent acquisition from emerging markets, including India, which I feel is also important to grow the industry as a whole.

3. Aspyr by Saber - 3 pts, 1 time #1

Worst publisher of the Year

1. Activision Blizzard King - 20 pts, 6 times #1

The issues that were exposed at Activision-Blizzard are horrible and hurt them so much they ended up being acquired by Microsoft.
The ongoing scandal which gave Microsoft a window to acquire it makes it easy to say it was one of the worst this year. Diablo II Resurrected having DRM to check that you've been online in the past month is also another example of why they're a bad publisher.
All of their internal problems with harassment etc. and CoD Vanguard underperforming

2. Square Enix - 8 pts, 1 time #1

they haven't manage to put Marvel's Avengers back to life, and they've released a worthy successor flop with Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Then add Balan Wonderworld, Outriders, NEO: The World Ends With You, and Life Is Strange: True Colors. Of course Square Enix has a number of successes to compensate for these disappointments, particularly Final Fantasy XIV. But for a company of this size, it's quite embarrassing that they had to stop the sale of the Endwalker expansion. It wasn't a bad year per se, financially, but between the lines, it could've been better.
In my opininion that was not a great year for Square Enix. Many games from them did not sell well.

3. Ubisoft - 6 pts, 1 time #1

not higher because we're used to that now, despite the issues continuing, still being too slow to pivot, lack of creativity and their NFT push.
Toxic workplace, high turnover, insistance that NFTs are good, and their pivot to do mostly GAAS does not give them much esteem in my opinion.

Thanks for the ongoing results!
Really interesting choices, even if hopefully there's a bigger turnout next year!

Publisher of the Year

1. Capcom - 19 pts, 4 times #1

their three main products of the year, Monster Hunter Rise, Resident Evil: Village and Monster Hunter Stories 2, have all exceeded financial expectations and were met with much enthusiasm from both fans and critics.
The JP publisher manage to have a varied and deep line-up in 2021 that was met with critical and commercial success. Monster Hunter Rise and Resident Evil Village were among the highest rated games of 2021 and the most sucecssful ones.
The year was exellent for capcom. especially thanks to Monster Hunter Rise and Resident Evil VIII but several other games have been hits.

2. Nintendo - 13 pts, 4 times #1

The OLED model was a big success and they had a massive year with both hardware and software sales
Not much to say, but their ability to sell hardware and software is beyond any company in the business these days and Mario Kart 8 alone would probably put them on this list, not to mention all their other games.

3. Microsoft - 10 pts, 2 times #1

amazing software releases, plus future-thinking with acquisitions, pushing GamePass. Great job both for the company and gamers.
keeps showing their effort in multiple domains to get back on top: gamepass keeps getting stronger, slowly getting better in japan, acquisitions, scores, work with devs, reputation...

Upcoming biggest Success of 2022

1. Elden Ring - 18 pts, 4 times #1

Going to possibly be FromSoftware's best selling title and a neat cultural comeback story for George R. R. Martin.
A defining game in the making with a broader, in appeal, formula than past From games
the hype is gigantic. Dark Souls III sold more than 10 million units, and this one could go even higher.

2. Pokémon Legends Arceus - 7 pts, 2 times #1

Kind of cheating since we already got results, but this game exceeded even my high expectations and is gonna sell well throughout 2022.
already out admittedly but changed up the gameplay and seeing positive reviews for it

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 - 7 pts, 1 time #1

The first BotW was/is a sales phenomenon. If Nintendo doesn't screw up, this will be a megaton event release.
assuming it's not delayed, I see this selling gangbusters. Sequel to one of the highest rated games this generation.

Honorable mention to Starfield (5 pts), Nintendo (5 pts) and Nintendo Switch Sports (5 pts).

Flop of the Year

1. Battlefield 2042 - 10 pts, 3 times #1

Vanguard's reception being lukewarn was a big opportunity for the franchise, a couple of months after launch and it was struggling to match BFV or BF4 playercount.
4.2M players first week despite free with EA Play, Steam CCU went below Battlefield V in 4 weeks and below Battlefield 1 in 6 weeks (comparison). What a disappointment.
Deserved for the complete misread of the market and their fanbase, and refusing to admit their faults.

2. Balan Wonderworld - 10 pts, 2 times #1

Poor Yuji Naka
one of the worst rated games of the year and sales are almost non-existent.

3. Megaton Musashi - 6 pts, 1 time #1

Was both an anime flop and a video game flop. Hino and Level 5 have fallen a long way from their glory days.
sad for level 5 but their last game was really struggling.

Dishonorable mention to Destruction All Stars (5 pts), Call of Duty Vanguard (4 pts) and the Grand Theft Auto 3 Trilogy (4 pts).

Sales of the Year

1. Forza Horizon 5 - 14 pts, 3 times #1

This game really exceeded my expectations and has put Forza on top in terms of Microsoft's own game development efforts.
deserves a separate mention, because realistic racing games (even if on the arcadey side) are not an easy sell nowadas, and GamePass just made so many people give this a try DESPITE the genre.

2. Oculus/Meta Quest 2 - 6 pts, 2 times #1

although we don't have official sales data (only hints), analyst estimates, storefront revenue milestones, and the general buzz around this platform have convinced me that the Quest 2 has pulled VR to the next level. It may not be a console-level performance yet, but slowly but surely the VR market is getting there, and this performance of the Quest 2 in the past year is the first sign of that.
Quest 2 cemented itself as a successful console in the VR realm with good software sales and likely very good software revenue since the deals on the store are not that great; and look at that market share on Steam!

3. Valheim - 5 pts, 1 time #1

more than 8 million units sold, peak CCU of more than 500k, what an indie success story. Not my Rookie of the Year, but definitely an incredible success!

3. Metroid Dread - 5 pts, 1 time #1

Already second best selling Metroid game with the biggest launch in franchise history
Samus Aran's triumphant return

5. Monster Hunter Rise - 5 pts

Best-selling Capcom game with a single SKU, almost 8m units sold, the vast majority at full or Deluxe price in 9 months. With Sunbreak around the corner and the recent PC port, we'll still be talking about MHR sales for quite some timesad for level 5 but their last game was really struggling.
Proving that a portable Monster Hunter can still bring in massive sales numbers.

Honorable mention to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (4 pts) and so many picks with 3 points !

Back
Top Bottom