• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Install Base Discussion Thread | OT | Happy New Year ! 🎆

Which movie do you intend to see in theaters ?

• Barbie

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Oppenheimer

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Barbenheimer

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
But ... NO war, guys. 🤷‍♀️

I think a lot of people approach this too simple, holding up abstract morality and then go 'Light is evil, therefore this situation is wrong'. Whereas in reality, most people would absolutely welcome Kira, because he saved their lives. Forget about morality for a moment and think of the actual people Yemenians, Uighurs, Ukrainians, various African nations, and so many more areas in the world where people suffer every day - bamm, suddenly there's peace. No more murdering.

I feel like you'd have a hard time convincing these people that Kira is wrong.

Last edited:

I think a lot of people approach this too simple, holding up abstract morality and then go 'Light is evil, therefore this situation is wrong'. Whereas in reality, most people would absolutely welcome Kira, because he saved their lives. Forget about morality for a moment and think of the actual people Yemenians, Uighurs, Ukrainians, various African nations, and so many more areas in the world where people suffer every day - bamm, suddenly there's peace. No more murdering.

A lot of people would welcome Kira, because the promise is enticing, because a simpler view of the world is more attractive and audible that taking morality as a nuanced issue.

Kira is basically three things:

- Justice by death penalty
- Omnipotent, with nobody out of its reach
- Human

Even if we agree with the first point (at least as a necessary mean to reach global peace), which is extremely debatable, it all falls apart when we take into account that Kira is human.

-> which means it can be wrong, and target a wrong individual
-> is mortal and targettable, which means it will need to protect itself.

Death Note shows how Light evolves as he uses his power, his principles of justice all fall apart when he starts to kill to protect himself. He manipulates, lies, and betrays his ideal in order to keep his almighty power.

By the end of the book, what's the difference between Light and the criminals he vowed to eliminate ?

The rule of Kira isn't that these things magically don't happen. It's that the current world powers are terrified to act for fear of being reprimanded. But the systems of capitalism and imperialism make it so that war is an inevitability, so it is more likely that eventually they would engage in warfare, covertly or otherwise. They'd probably come up with ways around Kira's rules, if someone like L can figure out Kira's limitations based on just one TV stunt.

What people would welcome with Kira is ultimately irrelevant to this discussion.

A lot of people would welcome Kira, because the promise is enticing, because a simpler view of the world is more attractive and audible that taking morality as a nuanced issue.

Kira is basically three things:

- Justice by death penalty
- Omnipotent, with nobody out of its reach
- Human

Even if we agree with the first point (at least as a necessary mean to reach global peace), which is extremely debatable, it all falls apart when we take into account that Kira is human.

-> which means it can be wrong, and target a wrong individual
-> is mortal and targettable, which means it will need to protect itself.

Death Note shows how Light evolves as he uses his power, his principles of justice all fall apart when he starts to kill to protect himself. He manipulates, lies, and betrays his ideal in order to keep his almighty power.

By the end of the book, what's the difference between Light and the criminals he vowed to eliminate ?
Three points:

- Kira only ever killed criminals or in self-defense. I don't think you can hold it against him when he killed FBI-agents and such. Them getting him => death penalty for him.
- the difference between him and criminals is pretty obvious: He kills bad people to protect innocent people.
- This is the big one: You're saying Kira is human and thus flawed. Correct. But let's say Kira makes even 10 "mistakes" a day, how'd that measure against all the innocent people dying in wars (and crimes) every day? I'm personally against "for the greater good"-arguments, but from the POV of suffering people, wouldn't Kira's reign be preferable?
The rule of Kira isn't that these things magically don't happen. It's that the current world powers are terrified to act for fear of being reprimanded. But the systems of capitalism and imperialism make it so that war is an inevitability, so it is more likely that eventually they would engage in warfare, covertly or otherwise. They'd probably come up with ways around Kira's rules, if someone like L can figure out Kira's limitations based on just one TV stunt.

What people would welcome with Kira is ultimately irrelevant to this discussion.
You cannot keep up corrupt systems without giving up on a lot of the alluring elements of it, like fame and prestige. To counter Kira, world leaders as well as rich gangster bosses would need to go completely anonymous, but not only them, even their staff. And even then, they wouldn't be able to prevent Kira from putting pressure on them. Imagine the USA installed a 100% anonymous government. Shadow-president is like "haha, Kira, we got you!". Now Kira says he'll kill Taylor Swift if the USA won't stop doing whatever Kira doesn't like them doing. And if not for celebrities, Kira could simply announce "every day your government won't stop doing XYZ, an innocent citizen will die. That will be your government's fault." Countering Kira is impossible in a society that has any morality left in it.

The only good argument I can see is that Kira being human means he'll die eventually, so what afterwards? Going by anime-logics, however, it wouldn't be a problem since you'd just have to find someone like Mikami.

Killing the people at top doesn't fix the system. Ignoring that Death Note goes off their real name ( so rich people would just live under a pseudonym, which is honestly not that irregular of event), it requires conflict be the result of specific people. If we consider Israel/Palestine, if Kira just followed the world media (assuming it's the Japanese news especially), he would be killing off Hamas rather than the reactionary Israeli government. For civil rights protests, how hard would it be for media to paint the protestors as violent rioters and Kira to kill the leaders rather than the cops. He can eventually realize he was tricked but that results in a power vacuum that really doesn't fix much. Assuming he can make the right decision rather than be used as a weapon against dissenters really ignores the big mistakes that led to L directly to him.

Killing the people at top doesn't fix the system. Ignoring that Death Note goes off their real name ( so rich people would just live under a pseudonym, which is honestly not that irregular of event), it requires conflict be the result of specific people. If we consider Israel/Palestine, if Kira just followed the world media (assuming it's the Japanese news especially), he would be killing off Hamas rather than the reactionary Israeli government. For civil rights protests, how hard would it be for media to paint the protestors as violent rioters and Kira to kill the leaders rather than the cops. He can eventually realize he was tricked but that results in a power vacuum that really doesn't fix much. Assuming he can make the right decision rather than be used as a weapon against dissenters really ignores the big mistakes that led to L directly to him.
1.) Kira's killings fix the system for at least his lifetime. That'd be pretty good.

2.) You're really misrepresenting Light here. He wouldn't just follow one biased news channel. It'd be out of character. Light is someone who knows well about international politics.

For your example: he'd kill Netanyahu, make him write a message 'give back Palestinian people their homes and stop the attacks on Palestine'. He'd then also kill whoever is leading Hamas and leave a message like ' stop attacking Israel. Kira is watching this region now. Peace must come between Israel and Palestine. Those who continue to commit violence, will die.'

Ofc, he wouldn't stop there. He'd get rid of USA/Saudia-Arabia supporting the region's groups. Heck, Kira would convince radical muslims that burning a quran doesn't justify violence. And he'd get rid of Mohammed bin Salman asap btw..

And again, rich people don't like to go in hiding and use pseudonyms. It'd also be too late for the current generation of rich people.

I'd really love to see another Death Note-story tbh. There's only been one manga short-story. It'd be so interesting to watch someone get the DN who's not as intelligent as Light, but more willing to directly change the world.

I've just watched Oppenheimer for the third time in IMAX. That's the first time I've seen a movie more than twice in the theater. It's one of the best theater experiences I've had if not the best. Fantastic movie through and through. One of very few movies I consider to be perfect.

Last edited:
I finished watching the Live Action adaptation of One Piece yesterday and I actually enjoyed it (mostly).
Since I love the manga and hate the anime I'm glad there is now another option for me to "rewatch" the early arcs.

They skipped and changed a lot and I don't like how they handled Arlong Park but imo it's still a great companion piece to the manga.
Nami and Sanji were my highlights this season.

I finished watching the Live Action adaptation of One Piece yesterday and I actually enjoyed it (mostly).
Since I love the manga and hate the anime I'm glad there is now another option for me to "rewatch" the early arcs.

They skipped and changed a lot and I don't like how they handled Arlong Park but imo it's still a great companion piece to the manga.
Nami and Sanji were my highlights this season.
Yeah, I think Arlong Park suffered the most from the rushed pace, a lot of critical stuff felt skimmed over. But I still really enjoyed it and hope it at least gets another season, because Alabasta is my favorite arc (and naturally Crocodile is my favorite villain).

i got a good resource for the more distribution aspec of business like retail distributions and such, though i still dont know how to use it really .

After close to 60h I completed FFXVI and so far it's my favorite Final Fantasy game (extensive list in the spoiler tags below).
I've seen complaints about it being an RPG-lite but imo it would have been a better game with even more simplified mechanics.
(e.g. only upgrading weapon/gear instead of buying/crafting/reinforcing different items for the +2/+2 bonus and "estus flasks" instead of buying healing items)
The scope of the game and its characters was a lot smaller than I expected (not even close to Game of Thrones) but it was big enough for this standalone game (and maybe a DLC: Leviathan?).
"The Thousand Tomes" and "State of the Realm" are great features I'll miss in other games.

1. FF XVI
2. FF XIV: Heavensward
3. FF XIV: Stormblood (without Post-Stormblood MSQs)
4. FF XIV: A Realm Reborn
:p
Small update to my FF ranking:
1. FF XVI
2. FF XIV: Heavensward
3. FF XIV: Shadowbringers
4. FF XIV: Stormblood
5. FF XIV: A Realm Reborn

At this point I've already spent more than 500h in XIV. I should be able to start and (mostly) finish Endwalker later this year (after a small break to play the Pokémon DLC and maybe other games).

Other FF games that are high on my list (probably next year though):
FF XV: I need to look up what movies/series etc are required to watch before/during the game. Maybe I'll ignore everything and just play the game.
FF XIII: If there is a port/remaster/remake
FF VIIR: Not sure if I should know the original before playing this trilogy
FF VII Ever Crisis: Waiting until it's a more complete game and ideally with a console port

Never noticed the scrolling events banner on top of the homepage but it looks sooo good! 👌

All of my bets in the Nintendo Direct were proven incorrect.

I also made one bet in the State of Play for later today. I said that no Bloodborne remaster would be announced. Take that for what it's worth.

All of my bets in the Nintendo Direct were proven incorrect.

I also made one bet in the State of Play for later today. I said that no Bloodborne remaster would be announced. Take that for what it's worth.
I on the contrary won all my bets on the Nintendo Direct.

The new logo looks great. I was wondering when it was gonna show up.

Guess it's up to me to breathe some life into this thread by thinking of a topic to talk about.

Alright, here I go:

What is a game you want remastered/remade/to get a sequel or a show you want renewed that you are pretty sure you are the only one (or one of dozens) that would actually play or watch?

EX: I kinda want a Shadow the Hedgehog remake even though I know it's a janky mess with a ridiculous premise (give a hedgehog a gun), because dang it, ridiculousness can be fun.
I would also like a true path option because most of the stages clearly lead into each other even within the same column in the timeline.

Alternatively:

What is a game you are surprised didn't get remastered/remade/a sequel or a show renewed even though you think they really should/should've?

EX: I want Kaiji season 3 dang it, I figured with Squid Game's popularity they'd give that anime another shot, but there's nothing. (It's possible Squid Game is newer than I remember, but still.)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for remasters/ports of Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma and Soul Blazer (but mostly Illusion of Gaia/Time).

Illusion of Time was one of my first games and while I would love a HD2D remake at this point I would be happy with a simple port on current gen consoles or even just on Switch since Nintendo was publishing the games in some regions.

cannot BELIEVE that Installbase decided to pick a side on which game will sell more and be the better game. SMH my HEAD. Anti-Nintendo bias is real

Eternal Darkness should get a remake or maybe sequel.
Yes after Baiten Katos and Paper Mario: TYD I expect more GameCube remasters on the next Nintendo console. Eternal Darkness a game like many GameCube games that suffered from poor GameCube sales but needs to be played by more.
F zero GX remaster I'm hoping for after how much fun F-zero 99 is.

Eternal Darkness should get a remake or maybe sequel.
A would love a reimagination of the original. It's a shame Steve Henifin passed away. The vibes he brought wiyh his OST and soundwork is such an important part of the game. Like he did with the Blood Omen series.

I'm still waiting for remasters/ports of Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma and Soul Blazer (but mostly Illusion of Gaia/Time).

Illusion of Time was one of my first games and while I would love a HD2D remake at this point I would be happy with a simple port on current gen consoles or even just on Switch since Nintendo was publishing the games in some regions.
I adore the Soul Blazer series but part of the appeal is its 16bit aesthetic that I feel translate badly very quickly to HD2D if devs aren't carefull. I'd hate for a remake like that turn bad for games I love :)

We've got to go beyond.

A remake/sequel of a game not many would care 🤔

I've got a game for the occasion :

Cryostatis_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg

We've got to go beyond.

A remake/sequel of a game not many would care 🤔

I've got a game for the occasion :

Cryostatis_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg
Is it sad that I actually know what that is? Didn't play it myself but did watch a playthrough of it a long ways back (I'm too chicken to play horror games myself but they always seem neat, especially the more obscure ones). I completely forgot this existed until you mentioned it.

Is it sad that I actually know what that is? Didn't play it myself but did watch a playthrough of it a long ways back (I'm too chicken to play horror games myself but they always seem neat, especially the more obscure ones). I completely forgot this existed until you mentioned it.

Sad, not at all. Cryostasis and many of the psychological games from that region all have this particular vibe that you just can't get anywhere else. That melancholic dilapidated Zonepunk aesthetic.

I picked it not only because it's a very niche game but also because it's been abandonware most of its existence due to licensing issues between the developers and its publishers, a VERY common thing for the region, lots of pettiness going around. It was available on GOG for a while but it was taken down again due to licensing.

This is without the fact that it has many possible compatibility issues on modern hardware. Chief among them, it's one of those games that used PhysX.

I also thought of this game, even though it's not the most obscure game I know, because I think with all the rendering tech that's possible nowadays, that would be the type of game that could be REALLY awesome.
Physics, fluid simulation, volumetric and raytracing interacting with all kind of different icy surfaces? You could do a lot with that.

Armored Core 6 has sold 2.8 million copies (I don't have thread making privileges apparently)

Ryo Shimokawa : « Armored Core 6 has sold 2.8M copies worldwide »
Yasuyuki Kase : « Foreign version also have japanese voices, it seems like there are people out there that can still hear our voices! »

Armored Core VI represents >55% of the total sales of the series

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this would be thread worthy on it's own here, but apparently Microsoft execs are not going to count Game Pass subscribers towards their KPI's anymore.

Not sure if this would be thread worthy on it's own here, but apparently Microsoft execs are not going to count Game Pass subscribers towards their KPI's anymore.

It is likely to be a strategy pivot so clearly worthy to get its own thread ;)

Hey! I wanted to ask if anyone here who may be able, to get a hold of some DVDs from Nintendo Dream in Japan to rip and upload to Internet Archive (and I can do my thing and upload the videos from them into YouTube).

Specifically the E3 2006 DVD from vol 148 and the Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 DVD from vol 154 (the one with Super Mario Galaxy on the cover). These ones respectively:

F9XWnb3XgAE_au5
F9XWooGXsAAwVb4

I was told maybe @Jaysc and @wolftendo might be able to help? Well if anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful.

Good news is that someone did upload the Nintendo Conference Fall 2008 DVD from Nintendo Dream onto Internet Archive already as one example:

And I in turn did my bit and deinterlaced and (not AI) 4K60 upscale it for your viewing pleasure:

Did the same with a bunch of E3 conferences and DVDs of trailers.

So yeah same idea. Thanks!

Hey! I wanted to ask if anyone here who may be able, to get a hold of some DVDs from Nintendo Dream in Japan to rip and upload to Internet Archive (and I can do my thing and upload the videos from them into YouTube).

Specifically the E3 2006 DVD from vol 148 and the Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 DVD from vol 154 (the one with Super Mario Galaxy on the cover). These ones respectively:

F9XWnb3XgAE_au5
F9XWooGXsAAwVb4

I was told maybe @Jaysc and @wolftendo might be able to help? Well if anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful.

Good news is that someone did upload the Nintendo Conference Fall 2008 DVD from Nintendo Dream onto Internet Archive already as one example:

And I in turn did my bit and deinterlaced and (not AI) 4K60 upscale it for your viewing pleasure:

Did the same with a bunch of E3 conferences and DVDs of trailers.

So yeah same idea. Thanks!

Check your DMs. I might be able to help you.

2024 is the year of Xenoblade X, I'm starting to feel it. Either for Switch 2-launch or for December like XB2 in 2017.

It is time. Attack on Titan continues in the Far future! ;o

Apparently Jeff Grubb claims ME4 is gonna release no sooner than 2028.

:/

The AAA-industry needs to change. This is wrong. So much time. Will I be alive for Mass Effect 5? :/

Honestly, I wish they'd simply stay at the fidelity level of ME3 and tell new, exciting stories, fullstop. The permanent craze for more advanced graphics ... it's not worth it imo.

As I have been waiting impatiently & impertinently for NJ Holdings to Finally Drop the Hammer (it's happening.gif as I type, stand down from FY OP duties @MarcoP90 cause y'know I got this!) might as well preoccupy my not so busy self with A Sales—catching up with the InstallBase Discussion thread 'cept for all the weirdy bits. 😄 Old Man got no time for all this fan fiction-ish.
I may as well mention this while we're at it, too. Something else @Lelouch0612 and I have been kicking around is the idea of people getting together for community nights in voice chat. The goal of this would be to allow people to engage with each other in a more "human" way that doesn't involve typing away angrily at one's keyboard all the time.

We're thinking maybe weekly, maybe fortnightly... We haven't quite figured it out yet. It's something we'd need to gauge interest in before we really start to commit to it. Is being able to hang out in voice chats to watch conferences, discuss sales figures (etc.) on a semi-regular basis something folks are interested in?
Did anything become of this for anyone yearning for something more in InstallBase Life? Don't get me wrong, typing angrily at one's keyboard all the time is a favourite past-time of mine.
If I were to class them, it would probably like:
  1. Interstellar
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Inception
  4. The Dark Knight Rises
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Prestige
  7. Tenet
  8. Dunkrik
Still need to watch Memento, but it is not the easiest movie to get a hold on legally.

Also, the whole top 7 are great movies for me, and are ranked mostly based on personal feelings than actual cinematographic merit.
Oh we doing Nolan rankings, mine are:

1. The Prestige
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight
4. Interstellar
5. Inception
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Memento
8. Dunkirk
9. Tenet
10. Insomnia

I enjoyed them all though. Not like I think any are bad. Inception and above are great movies though.
I've not seen a few of his movies.
  1. Inception
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
  4. Batman Begins
  5. Tenet
  6. Interstellar
  7. Dunkirk
Inception is one of my favourite movies, TDK is not far behind.

I'm not a fan of Interstellar or Dunkirk, Dunkirk is probably one of the most boring cinema experiences I've ever had and Interstellar is almost an hour too long with the last half an hour ish being awful.
I've seen all but one of Nolan's works.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. Batman Begins
4. Insomnia
5. Dunkirk
6. Memento
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Intersteller
9. The Prestige
10. Tenet
CTRL + F: Following not found. Christopher Nolan started with short films & a brisk 70 minutes debut feature before everything became a 3 hour magnum opus. Remind you of anyone? 😜
Following_EXPLODED_PACK_1b_720x.jpg
PWMlxSDrb4crZTImCxrDbFsxYZMb4k_large.jpg
Memento_Exploded_Packshot_JCard_5a_720x.jpg

Following (101 Films / Criterion Collection)
Memento (101 Films - Limited Edition / Standard Edition)​
Guess it's up to me to breathe some life into this thread by thinking of a topic to talk about.

Alright, here I go:

What is a game you want remastered/remade/to get a sequel or a show you want renewed that you are pretty sure you are the only one (or one of dozens) that would actually play or watch?

EX: I kinda want a Shadow the Hedgehog remake even though I know it's a janky mess with a ridiculous premise (give a hedgehog a gun), because dang it, ridiculousness can be fun.
I would also like a true path option because most of the stages clearly lead into each other even within the same column in the timeline.

Alternatively:

What is a game you are surprised didn't get remastered/remade/a sequel or a show renewed even though you think they really should/should've?

EX: I want Kaiji season 3 dang it, I figured with Squid Game's popularity they'd give that anime another shot, but there's nothing. (It's possible Squid Game is newer than I remember, but still.)
Calling up @Jawmuncher from the inactive roster to join my call for DINO CRISIS STALKER VR. SIE MONEYHAT FOR CAPCOM COWARDS TO REMAKE DINO STALKER FOR PSVR2 WHEN!?
Impulse Gear (Farpoint) could be contracted to lead development if everyone at CAPCOM is busy with Resident Evil Survivor 2 – Code: Veronica VR, like Armature Studios for OG RE4 VR.

Seeing as Ferrari is roaring up for theatrical release, I got Mann on my Mind. Arrow Video is two for two with somehow finding its away to bypass colour control last cut control freak Michael Mann with Thief & the forthcoming BLACKHAT Director’s Cut later this month (88 Films was not so lucky with its 4K of Miami Vice but at least its Blu-Ray will include both cuts & a new documentary). I’d like to see The Keep LA Takedown restored in 4K, exhaustive new features & commentaries announced with or without an improved 4K release of HEAT to accompany it.

Show idea? Luck season 2 - too soon horse lovers? Ok, so out with the Michael & in with the Steven. Steven Soderbergh that is, where’s The Knick season 3? Pump it straight into my veins with Cliff Martinez back on the synths soundtrack. Any-day now, it’ll be announced simultaneously with the Blu-Ray/4K UHD release of Contagion. Any of y'all care about this?! 😖
Apparently Jeff Grubb claims ME4 is gonna release no sooner than 2028.

:/

The AAA-industry needs to change. This is wrong. So much time. Will I be alive for Mass Effect 5? :/
No surprise there since Dragon Age is their next game.
Honestly, I wish they'd simply stay at the fidelity level of ME3 and tell new, exciting stories, fullstop. The permanent craze for more advanced graphics ... it's not worth it imo.
Mass Effect Dungeon Encounters…I’ll allow it. The million dollar budget questions is would anyone else buy a pure rock shot of deep space dungeon rpg goods for (more than) a dollar.
4216a6b7ee9a0bbb92af7133c3248083.gif
lamar-jackson.gif
tumblr_inline_omxngj0qWR1rhdvi2_500.gif
Anthem downgrade furore. Mass Effect Andromeda Mocked & Ridiculed into a Sales Black Hole. You can even look at the various discussion about Starfield here, there & everywhere to show the high expectations that people have for intergalactic rpgs. It is only natural this will lead developers towards Star Citizen Scope, despite feature creep, Squadron 42 hype is real.

Plenty of rpgs on the way to keep you busy as you wait for the next Monolith Soft jaunt, including those being made on an interplanetary budgetary shoestring like the Shoji Meguro helmed GUNS UNDARKNESS (follow its progress on Kickstarter). It will even be released on Switch, as they left ATLUS & work freelance on scores, meaning he was able to make moves to ensure a day & date Switch version. If that’s much too low-fi for yer Naughty Nopon Palette, you can go up to mid-budget market & Support Your Local Gunfighter with Armed Fantasia & Penny Blood. (edit: typos)

Last edited:

Considering how even Nintendo Switch games have been often higher resolution and have more advanced graphical rendering techniques than Mass Effect 3, we're wayyyy past that.

But also, I'm pretty sure Bioware has been a trash fire and has loss so much staff in the last 2 years that I don't think this would have that much effect on their pipeline. Things are rotten to the core at the Bioware management for years.

With Baldur's Gate 3 being 2 discs for PS5 and 3 discs for Xbox, I wonder how a Switch 2-version would be handled. Would Larian suddenly find a way to get it on one large cartridge or would we be victims of another "you download most of the game"-situation?

Back
Top Bottom