• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Install Base Discussion Thread | OT | Happy New Year ! 🎆

Which movie do you intend to see in theaters ?

• Barbie

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Oppenheimer

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Barbenheimer

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
A question that I just thought of because of the FF7 Rebirth thread, where it was mentioned that game awards don't really have much of an effect on game sales:

Do awards like the Oscars, Grammy's, etc. actually have a meaningful effect on the sales their respective winners?

• If yes, what makes video games so different that awards don't help sales?
  • If no, why do people think video game awards will (meaningfully) help sales if other awards don't help the sales of their respective media?

A question that I just thought of because of the FF7 Rebirth thread, where it was mentioned that game awards don't really have much of an effect on game sales:

Do awards like the Oscars, Grammy's, etc. actually have a meaningful effect on the sales their respective winners?

• If no, why do people think video game awards will (meaningfully) help sales if other awards don't help the sales of their respective media?
Parasite got a huge boost in theaters after winning at the oscars and got it's run extended significantly.

I definitely think that It Takes Two winning at the game awards helped it selling even more than it would have.

There are exceptions but in general I'd say not really. By the time those awards go out most of the time the peak sales periods of whatever is being awarded has long since passed. There may be very slight bumps but nothing that moves the needle long term.

Back
Top Bottom