• 5 years

• 6 years

• 7 years

• 8 years

• 9 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

MysticGon

Enthusiast
A lot of changes in the console business. Higher retail prices for games, price drops for consoles becoming rare and some markets are seeing console price increases.

Videogames take more time and money with each passing generation, Moore's Law is yielding less results on screen and there probably won't be a big shift in display buying habits to justify chasing more pixels.

us-smart-tv-market-size.png

With digital giving games better long term sales and now having to compete with time sink live services do you think consoles can get away with staying on longer and still see publisher support? Or would shared digital stores and the PC market actually make console generations shorter since games would become more hardware agnostic? What about an in-between where more mid-gen refresh iterations?

I am a pc player at my heart so I skew to personally having a shorter gen with a wider support aka supporting 1.5/2 gens. I have gone 6 years but could easily see it come down to 5 years.

I do think that there could to be an interesting outcome of more publishers seemingly treating pc as one of the main platforms in terms of game design and then the effect to console support.

From a business standpoint, and looking on how hard it seems for both Microsoft and Sony to generate the number of players to support their own games, I would say longer generations?

Nintendo have successfully had at least a 8 year generation with the Switch, if switch 2 launches in march 2025.

It it were still the 2010s, I'd say 7 years is a good balance. But realities on the ground have me considering that even a 10-year cycle may not be out of line moving forward.

As time for game development increases, so too will hardware generations stretch to meet that need.

At this point, the time of 1-2 year development periods are over. Weird to think that you could get 3 Donkey Kong games on the SNES (or hell, 3 Uncharted/Gears games on 360/PS3) but we'll be lucky to get the FFVII trilogy on each successive console.

So yeah, 8 years for now. That's about 2 games per studio. If dev costs and complexity continue to grow, then that time will only increase.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a specific length.

Software development costs due to poor priorities, unreasonable scope, scope creep, and generally weak project management practices should be resolved. The addition of power/an expanded resource budget that comes with more powerful hardware ends up skirting problems with engine optimization or similar measures, allowing such things to bloat and result in bottlenecks that wouldn't otherwise have been there. Architecture has been broadly unified and the biggest third party engines adopted today have been bolstered with porting and profile tools, making large multiplatform releases less difficult than ever before. Despite this, even those things haven't dampened the current trajectory of AAA development. A new console generation doesn't end up helping much on that front and can be an excuse of detriment in the long term.

Regarding consumer-side engagement, keeping the player base of an established console is typically the more advantageous direction. A large install base that continues to use the hardware means more room for first party software sales. The singular digital marketplaces and platform certification costs makes software a profit center of pivotal magnitude on the digital and physical front for all consoles. As manufacturing costs diminish, buy in is easier with strategic discounts and the attractive prospect of large, established libraries. Because of this, elongated console generations make sense depending on performance of the current hardware or projected performance/appeal of future hardware.

Because of growing inflation both on a manufacturing cost level and software development (perhaps leaning more in the west on that front), a new generation becomes riskier as time goes on not just for the health of a given console's hardware sales, but the overall industry ecosystem as we continue down the ever more evidently unfeasible trajectory. The 'death of the middle' regarding moderately sized publishers and software projects was offset by a enormous rise of indie software expanding the low end and beyond, but platform holders (excluding Nintendo) and the major publishers that have been staples of the industry have some big issues to deal with as more modest projects continue to dwindle and the risks/lack of guaranteed profit on big games forces reevaluation.

On top of the previous issues with cost bloat, development time increases mean that a given platform sees less flagship software over its lifecycle. The PS5 is not a platform that has been presented as abandoning exclusive games. Indeed, Jim Ryan bolstered the concept of leveraging the new hardware for unique experiences and said that Playstation 'believe in generations'. Eric Lempel, head of Playstation global marketing, went even further in reinforcing the idea where new software and experiences are concerned, but the amount of first party releases have been meager. Even including those titles that made their way to PC, the amount of exclusives to bolster the value proposition of the console is far, far behind the last generation and those prior. With third parties continuing to release software for the previous generation even now so far into current gen, that issue is exacerbated massively, further dwindling the clear value/advantage of new hardware in the present context.

Xbox has left the exclusive space in the middle of the last generation outright and is finally managing to put legs on its alternative software strategy through the Game Pass service, but this is at expense of Xbox hardware being the forefront or center of their gaming ecosystem proposition. This makes their issue deliberate and different as a tradeoff, but it also helps make the effects of that vacuum more notable and worth considering regarding where PS is going.

The reality is that new hardware is no longer facilitating as much evolution in game design and the power increases aren't as impressive on the screen with each leap since about generation 7. Mid generation refreshes have been breaking up generations and adding more SKUs/profiles to the table for developers to establish on singular projects. I think all of the issues mean that new generations are actually becoming bigger risks, especially in the transitionary period. With things moving as they are, a console generation would have to be closer to 12 or so years in length to see a respectable library formed, and that's obviously not feasible as technology continues to move forward even in spite of the less pronounced graphical elevations.

For my part, I think the industry needs another evolution. Whether it be in a new market segment like indies, the distribution system, more lasting game frameworks (Fortnite style support building on a game as a platform), or -especially- a revolution in project management and a way to make more reasonably scaled titles appealing/valuable in the modern context. Until then, new console generations just become less useful all around, mid generation refreshes dilute them, and any attempts to minimize transitionary losses end up undermining the new generation outright.

Unless you're Nintendo.

So far.

Business wise - games take so long to develop now that it's ridiculous to only be able to release one title per generation. So from a business perspective, generations should definitely extend long enough for studios to at least get 2 games out per generation.

From a personal perspective, I say the longer the better. I don't get particularly excited by graphical improvements, so I'd much rather have a generation that lasts a nice long time, get a good selection of games, and not have to worry about upgrading hardware nearly as often. I voted 9 years in the poll, but I'm kind of in the same boat with Terrell above - a full decade between generations is worth considering.

Last edited:
Generations should stop to exist, with the current tech landscape console should use an iterative release, just like smartphone.

You describe a pc. The value of the dedicated game console is that I know that all games will work on my system. Have a cheap 2DS, somewhat irritating that exclusive games for "new 3DS existed".

So I hope this never happened. If anything I hope that the whole pro versions disappears.

Consdering how hw manufacturers WANT to make new hardware (PS5 Pro, Xbox One X, Switch OLED, etc.), my ideal scenario would be:

- new console generation every 5 years
- each generation has a guaranteed sw-support of 10 years
- that means: new games are made with the previous gen in mind, allowing higher fps/resolution on the newer gen
- enthusiast gamers can buy new hw every 5 years to get the best experience, others can enjoy their hw for 10 years before guaranteed sw-support ends

Voted for 8 years. Thought about 6-7 but then thought AAA games are taking longer and most likely will continue that trend going forward. (At what point do they become AAAA? 😉)

Generations should stop to exist, with the current tech landscape console should use an iterative release, just like smartphone.
This is the answer. Forwards and backwards compatibility through several "generations", more frequent hardware releases with greater continuity in support. Basically what phones or computers have traditionally done but in a closed garden ecosysyem (basically iOS).

You describe a pc. The value of the dedicated game console is that I know that all games will work on my system. Have a cheap 2DS, somewhat irritating that exclusive games for "new 3DS existed".

I think you mean all games that have been released/certified for my system will work on my system.

Literally 'all games' don't naturally work on a new system and that relys on forward/backward compat. As digital library's and some games tend to be more like platforms, forward and backward compatibility does seem to get more important.

Back
Top Bottom