• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Helldivers II sold 12 Million units in 12 weeks across PS5 and PC (as of May 5, 2024)

Welfare

Staff
Scholar Archivist Staff
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GNhX1GZXsAAmsn2

Congrats to Arrowhead for securing their jobs for the next 5 years or so. But for real it's a really remarkable success and I hope they stay independent.

Now this is crazy success. When Sony is pulling out from GAAS Future. GAAS Success hit them with benjamin trucks of success lol.

Now this is crazy success. When Sony is pulling out from GAAS Future. GAAS Success hit them with benjamin trucks of success lol.

lol

I DO wonder how this huge hit will affect their (apparently changing) strategy about those famous "12 GaaS in few years" plan, going by other projects cancellations/studio cloosures

lol

I DO wonder how this huge hit will affect their (apparently changing) strategy about those famous "12 GaaS in few years" plan, going by other projects cancellations/studio cloosures
I don't think it will change.

Their initial plan was quite ambitious, as they wanted to release 12 GAAS games in the near future, which hindered many projects for their successful story-driven game studios like Naughty Dog.

While now it has been reduced to 5-6 games, which is still a high number but a more reasonable one in my opinion.

I don't think it will change.

Their initial plan was quite ambitious, as they wanted to release 12 GAAS games in the near future, which hindered many projects for their successful story-driven game studios like Naughty Dog.

While now it has been reduced to 5-6 games, which is still a high number but a more reasonable one in my opinion.

probably
I mean, if they cancelled some projects and/or closed some studios, they are not re-opening those for sure
focusing on less but trying the make them succesfull is probably what they are and will looking for

which ones do we know for sure, among those 12 projects, and which is their status?

Helldivers II (PC, PS5) - launched
MLB The Show - right? - (PC, Xbox, Switch, PS5) launched/to be launched
GT7 PC port? Not yet announced right?
TLOS multiplayer game: cancelled
Deviation Games project: cancelled/studio closed
Bungie Marathon (exctraction shooter PC, Xbox, PS5?) to be released in 2025
Bungie Matter project (PS, Xbox, PS5?): cancelled
Blood & Truth (fantasy-based online co-op game, PC, PS%?): cancelled/studio closed
Twisted Metal (life service game, PC, PS5?): cancelled

what else?

And this is why Sony originally had 12 of these things in the works. If just one of them could hit then, well... I dont think Jim Ryan expected this out of Helldivers 2 of all the games but I do give a bit of credit to him for greenlighting it.

But a lot more credit goes to Arrowhead - congratulations to them, seriously! This is an insane number in all respects, holy shit. Best of luck to them with maintaining the game!

Massive numbers, and seemingly healthy legs as well. This has a great shot at being this year’s best selling game.

probably
I mean, if they cancelled some projects and/or closed some studios, they are not re-opening those for sure
focusing on less but trying the make them succesfull is probably what they are and will looking for

which ones do we know for sure, among those 12 projects, and which is their status?

Blood & Truth (fantasy-based online co-op game, PC, PS%?): cancelled/studio closed

what else?

Of the back of my mind there's also:

-FAIRGAME$ By Haven Studios (TBD)
-Concord By Firewalk Studios(Tentative release date 2024)
-Horizon Multiplayer game by the 2nd internal team at Guerilla, probably a MH clone (TBD)
Release very likely going to release after MH:Wilds, good luck lmao.

-Horizon MMO by NCSoft That thing is def going to get cancelled) - TBD(Korean MMO devs, see you guys in 2032)
This last one is not part of the OG 12 GaaS games by 2026 for sure.

probably

what else?

Upcoming GAAS games in release order

1. Concord
2. Fairgames
3. Marathon
4. Horizon MP
5. Destiny 3 rumour
6. ex-Deviation studio with in Sony. This is pretty much confirmed now.

This is probably what they will release by 2028.

20M by end of the year possible?
Playstation being able to create hits this big out of nowhere must be giving them a huge boost in confidence and ability to execute their current strategy.
No need to buy IPs when you can have a small IP or new IP blow up like this.

What can actually be learned from this whole situation is something very simple. Launch the games on the same day for PS5 and PC. Watch the magic happen on PC, go viral and ensure strong sales.

I would like to know the % for each platform, but I don't doubt that PC represents 60%+.

Playstation being able to create hits this big out of nowhere must be giving them a huge boost in confidence and ability to execute their current strategy.

It really depends on what kind of post-launch support there is for the game.
There hasn't been a big content announcement yet and the game will certainly need that kind of marketing if they don't want to see sales slow down to a crawl.

Feb 8th to May 8th is 3 months.
If they announce something during the May showcase for early June, that would make it 4 months since launch which is quite standard cadence for GaaS. Of course I probably don't expect a huge amount of "seasonal" content from the team at Arrowhead compared to the GaaS studios with a lot more headcount but there should still be something soon.

Depends on post launch support, so far it has been pretty sub par and numbers are showing in Steam, slowly but surely dropping.

They need that extra content like yesterday if they want HD2 to keep being a player in the GAAS market.

You make this sound easy... The problem is even Sony didn't expect this since you can't really predict it... and while we have a handful success examples, we have many more failures as well.

Well deserved and it shows why purchasing another studio like Bungie is unnecessary and a waste of money. I'm skeptical that Marathon or Destiny 3 will achieve similar sales/success.

Arrowhead deserves all the success. The first Helldivers was surprisingly good, so it's nice to see them get a breakout hit like this!

Absolutely insane numbers especially when you consider the other fastest-selling PlayStation 1st party titles (Spidey 1 & 2, Ragnarok) had the holidays and hardware bundles to boost sales.

that seems aggressive. Once they finally get around to the illuminate for the Predator style enemies i'd say 17 million year end

lol

While i dont think they will go back to 12 games lol. But i can see Totoki adding even more budget to those 6 games to ensure they can have bigger budget and launch marketing there. Also PC version day one is totally guaranteed.

Since we had a thread for the second game, felt like we could just add this up in here.

Helldivers 1 sold 4M copies
The firm was a successful developer already. The first Helldivers game sold four million copies, while Magicka was also a breakout hit. "They were all massive games in their genres," Pilestedt observes.

Also the CEO hired a new CEO to replace him at his role so he could stay on as Chief Creative Officer and focus on the actual game. It was too much for him(duh) to manage both studio operations and be involved creatively with the game.

Since we had a thread for the second game, felt like we could just add this up in here.

Helldivers 1 sold 4M copies

Also the CEO hired a new CEO to replace him at his role so he could stay on as Chief Creative Officer and focus on the actual game. It was too much for him(duh) to manage both the studio operations and the game.
sadly we would never hear how much copies of helldivers 1 got sold since helldivers 2 launched

also good decision of him stepping down as CEO considering he didn’t know what to do when that backlash happened a month ago

Warhawk and M.A.G. released too early. If they launched on PS4 would have sold 3x easy when a lot of first parties titles had a higher floor (hell ps home as well)

That appplies to a lot of ps3 multiplayer games. Sony’s first party reputation wasn’t what it is now on top of their archaic online system back then. A lot of games suffered from the big hack back then.

Back
Top Bottom