• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

God of War Ragnarök is the fastest-selling first party launch game in PlayStation history , Selling through 5.1M in Its Launch Week

I wish they would have kept it to 3 days for a direct comparison, but impressive result for sure.

Holy crap. Well deserved too. It may be the best game of the year tbh.

Legs won't be as good as the first game, but still this result is amazing when you consider PS5 stock issues and the higher prices.
Honestly, I disagree. I think the legs will be stronger. Especially since this is actually Sony's first "sequel" in the last decade that didn't get hit by backlash or controversies (which Uncharted 4, Horizon 2, The Last of Us 2 all did). People are going to be picking this up for their PS5s through the entire generation.

Way higher than my expectations!

Also, this basically guarantees a >3M debut in November NPD, right?

Legs won't be as good as the first game, but still this result is amazing when you consider PS5 stock issues and the higher prices.
If you do consider the PS5 stock issues, then why wouldn't this have strong legs?

Congrats to Sony Santa Monica and all involved with GOW:R. It's not my kind of game, but I can greatly appreciate all the efforts involved in making yet another first party PlayStation solo-player experience.

'Launch game' is a somehow poor choice of words. The PS5 launched two years ago.

Still, congrats Santa Monica.
I don't think they mean launch game as in a game launching alongside a console, I think it is just awkward wording for "game launch". The point they are making is that Ragnarok has the best launch of any PS first party game ever.

Wording is weird, I agree.

I'm not expecting to have better legs (to me legs are defined by how much the game has sold in % after the first week/first month. This is why i consider Splatoon one of the game with the "greatest legs" of all time) simply because GOW 2018 was almost a new IP considering how different it was compared to previous games in the franchise. This time pretty much everyone knew what the game was going to be and thus i'm predicting a bigger % of sales happening right now.

Of course is just a prediction and maybe legs will be even better with more PS5 stock coming in.

Very nice results, I was worried we weren't gonna get any PR at all for this like the last couple of games, but I'm glad we got these numbers because they are very impressive. Although I do agree that it is mildly annoying we got 1st week instead of 3 days which makes it slightly inconvenient to compare to other Sony releases.

Very nice results, I was worried we weren't gonna get any PR at all for this like the last couple of games, but I'm glad we got these numbers because they are very impressive. Although I do agree that it is mildly annoying we got 1st week instead of 3 days which makes it slightly inconvenient to compare to other Sony releases.
The sales figures are as of November 13th.
So it's still 3 days at the end

1. God of War: Ragnarök - 5.1m FW (5 days)
  2. The Last of Us Part II - 4.0m FW (3 days)
  3. Spider-Man (2018) - 3.3m FW (3 days)
  4. God of War (2018) - 3.1m FW (3 days)
Your turn, Spidey.
Talent won, since that order also happens to correspond to those games' respective quality

Gigantic debut. Even if you adjust for just the first 3 days rather than 5, its launch sales must have still been above 4.5M.

Sony's first pirty just keeps continuing on growing.
Could we be looking at a 3M+ NPD opening here?

GoW 18 did 5M in its 1st month, so I expect 7-8.5M in its first month for GoW R going off the 1.5x increase in physical sales we've seen.

If GoW is this big, I expect Spiderman 2 to be even bigger.

Great game, well deserved. Playing through it as we speak. So much to do its overwhelming, which is weird to say for a linear, non-open world game but somehow they've done it. Congrats to Santa Monica.

Amazing result.

God of War (2018) did 5M in a month and after that the franchise just became bigger and bigger, winning awards and bringing new fans

Awesome! 5M is what I expected after those early Europe numbers. I think it would have topped TLOU2 even with a 3-day launch (but only just).

Crazy number. Not as surprised as some on here cause the hype was off the charts for Ragnarok

Sony's first pirty just keeps continuing on growing.
Could we be looking at a 3M+ NPD opening here?

GoW 18 did 5M in its 1st month, so I expect 7-8.5M in its first month for GoW R going off the 1.5x increase in physical sales we've seen.

If GoW is this big, I expect Spiderman 2 to be even bigger.

I think 3M NPD is definitely possible. Should be ~2M in the US through this 5-day period already.

5.1m in 5 days is massive, absolutely smashes what Sony has produced before. Will probably have much better legs than TLOU2 as well, could reach 10m this year.

And very well deserved, the game is incredible.

As long as the stock continues to improve into what i assume is fall next year with that possible slim model releasing.

This is also interesting for the fact that the highest selling game in the original trilogy was God of War 3 at just a little over 5 million copies LTD
Crazy to think they are now outselling the previous record in a matter of days.
The reboot was handled masterfully.

Is this a full week or the usual 3 day first week that comes from how games usually release partway through the tracking week?

Edit: According to others it sounds like 5 days, thank you :)

Also a very minor pet peeve, but I prefer "release" or "game launch" over "launch game". "launch game" in this context is confusing to me because I think of a game coming out alongside the launch of a system.

Last edited:
Is this a full week or the usual 3 day first week that comes from how games usually release partway through the tracking week?

Also a very minor pet peeve, but I prefer "launch" over "launch game". "launch game" in this context is confusing to me because I think of a game coming out alongside the launch of a system.

First "tracked week" which always ends on the Sunday after launch. So Friday releases count a 3 day total, and Wednesday releases count a 5 day total.

This is launch week ending Sun Nov 13, so five days counted.

Last edited:
This is also interesting for the fact that the highest selling game in the original trilogy was God of War 3 at just a little over 5 million copies LTD
GoW3 sold ~7.6 million units
God-of-War.png

First 5 days (Nov 9-13)

First "tracked week" which always ends on the Sunday after launch. So Friday releases count a 3 day total, and Wednesday releases count a 5 day total.

This is launch week ending Sun Nov 19, so five days counted.
Thanks for the clarification! It slipped my mind this was a Wednesday and not a Friday release.

1. God of War: Ragnarök - 5.1m FW (5 days)
  2. The Last of Us Part II - 4.0m FW (3 days)
  3. Spider-Man (2018) - 3.3m FW (3 days)
  4. God of War (2018) - 3.1m FW (3 days)
Your turn, Spidey.
At some point it becomes really, really hard to beat the previous record.
God of War had everything going for it. Spider-Man has the PEGI 16 tag and is more family friendly.
But it has to review in the 90+ at least.

Incredible sales for GoW:R

edit: Out of all the best-selling Playstation First Party games, GoW:R was the only one bundled with hardware day one (not bundled for free, tho)
That plays some role, too. Might be up to half a million units.

Last edited:
(3-days ban) Console-trolling, prior infractions, account still in its Junior phase
Pathetic... If sony really wants to label itself in the same bracket as Nintendo.. 5.1 million in a week just is not going to cut it.. lol

They don’t have a source, you’ve been told this. This isn’t up for debate. They said the target was to essentially be above GoW’s launch. Everyone predicted that (I said as much if you actually read my comment). Do we all have sources?

Well, she said that spoked with someone, though. I don't have sources.

No, she doesn't. Anyone could've made the same comment since GOW18 did 3M or so and TLOU2 4M+.

Also

Like i've said above, well, she said that spoked with someone, though

Like i've said above, well, she said that spoked with someone, though

She says a lot of stuff, like other wannabe insiders do.

No reason to believe she knows what Sony internal expectations were, or that she was aware of the game actual sales. Anyone could've predicted that this game would do more than 3.5M considering the first already did close to that.

Back
Top Bottom