• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Ghost of Tsushima has sold 8 million units since launch, movie in the works

DarkDetective

Staff
真実はいつもひとつ! There's only one truth
Sony has announced at its CES 2022 press conference that Ghost of Tsushima has sold 8 million units since release for PS4 and PS5. The company is working on a movie.

The game was originally released for PS4 in July 2020, and has received a Director's Cut version for PS5 and PS4 in August 2021.

FITSTYiXEAUgSIC.jpg

Great sales. They're really going for that multimedia push for their big franchises, what with Last of Us show, Uncharted movie and now this

Congratulations to Sucker Punch! This is their best selling game right?

I still need to finish the game but man I am enjoying it so much and taking my time with it. Deserves every sale it gets.

Interesting they don't talk about TLOU2 sales at all... did it hit 6 million yet?
For sure yes, but there is nothing positive to gain for Sony. Even 10m would've been seen as not great and worse legs than GoT for example. It's also not a new IP and the best selling game for the developer.

It's better to let the game rest in silence.
It just isn't the phenomenon the original is

game that liberally borrows from samurai movies loops around and gets a Hollywood adaptation

pretty funny

This is pretty much the same sales trajectory as Horizon Zero Dawn, right?

Interestingly, GoT had a way higher opening but had just a little bit slower sales thereafter. But then again, HZD was significantly bundled and that too during the peak PS4 year (2017).
So, I still think GoT is possibly a bigger success than HZD.

Amazing game, glad it’s done so well.

No chance we have anything resembling a breakdown of platform/edition sales do we?

Interesting they don't talk about TLOU2 sales at all... did it hit 6 million yet?

In 2020 TLOU2 sold more than Ghost in US and EU (by a considerable margin here judging by the positions in the best sellers list).

Ghost was at 5M at the beginning of November 2020. I think it's safe to say TLOU2 was at least over 6M at the end of 2020.

Maybe they'll finally reveal how much it sold once TLOU "Factions" is announced.

This is pretty much the same sales trajectory as Horizon Zero Dawn, right?

Interestingly, GoT had a way higher opening but had just a little bit slower sales thereafter. But then again, HZD was significantly bundled and that too during the peak PS4 year (2017).
So, I still think GoT is possibly a bigger success than HZD.

Similar. Horizon was at 7.6M after a year, Ghost was at 6.5M after ~8 months and 8M after ~17 months.

I think the big difference between them is that Horizon had great discounts in that period (iirc it was at 20$ on black friday/christmas), while Ghost kept a higher price overall. When Ghost was starting to have somewhat decent sales on PSN (like 40$/€) Sony launched the Director's Cut and replaced the original version so the price raised again due to DLC lol

Quoted by: SSN
In 2020 TLOU2 sold more than Ghost in US and EU (by a considerable margin here judging by the positions in the best sellers list).

Ghost was at 5M at the beginning of November 2020. I think it's safe to say TLOU2 was at least over 6M at the end of 2020.

Maybe they'll finally reveal how much it sold once TLOU "Factions" is announced.

Similar. Horizon was at 7.6M after a year, Ghost was at 6.5M after ~8 months and 8M after ~17 months.

I think the big difference between them is that Horizon had great discounts in that period (iirc it was at 20$ on black friday/christmas), while Ghost kept a higher price overall. When Ghost was starting to have somewhat decent sales on PSN (like 40$/€) Sony launched the Director's Cut and replaced the original version so the price raised again due to DLC lol
Yeah, great point. I forgot to mention this. The ASP of GoT should be significantly higher than HZD. So GoT is an even bigger success than I initially thought.

Huge success for Sucker Punch.

Looks like the Director's cut version sold ~1 million copies which is quite solid.

I’d like to know how many units are from Japan. 750-900k I guess, since it had stock problems that probably pushed digital sales.

Great numbers. A lot of happy customers. Days Gone performance would have been celebrated in the early days of PS3 or on PSP/PS Vita. But PlayStation Studio's bar is so high now unless the game is designed to be a boutique game to show off or to signal it better do genre topping figures. It's ruthless but fascinating how it pushes the different teams in SIE.

Incredible numbers. Kudos to PlayStation's most compelling open world game, it'll be in the 10m club in no time.

I’d like to know how many units are from Japan. 750-900k I guess, since it had stock problems that probably pushed digital sales.
Yeah. That is shame. It could even eventually trough digital discounts reach million in Japan but we probably never know (would be first internally developed Sony game to do so since GT 4).

Great but not amazing sales if that's as of the end of December.

Comparing big PS new IPs. It launched higher than HZD (2.4M in 3 days vs 2.6M in two weeks) but seems to have fallen behind now. HZD was "well above 10million" after 2 full years of release and this will maybe just reach 9M by then, despite the PS5 release.

Still, great sales like I said and well deserved.

Comparing big PS new IPs. It launched higher than HZD (2.4M in 3 days vs 2.6M in two weeks) but seems to have fallen behind now. HZD was "well above 10million" after 2 full years of release and this will maybe just reach 9M by then, despite the PS5 release.

Games early in the generation usually have better legs than games at the end of the generation which have bigger launches.

Also I believe Horizon got bundled quite often iirc.

Games early in the generation usually have better legs than games at the end of the generation which have bigger launches.

Good point, I don't think Ghost has been bundled much if at all.

This could be double any of Sucker Punch's previous games right? Infamous was never that big.

Good point, I don't think Ghost has been bundled much if at all.

This could be double any of Sucker Punch's previous games right? Infamous was never that big.
Also important, Horizon got dropped to firesafe prices within months, Ghost of Tsushima has held on to a higher ASP

6million is way too low but I think they are avoiding talking about it because of awful legs. I'd wager it hasn't quite hit 10m yet.
Also important, Horizon got dropped to firesafe prices within months, Ghost of Tsushima has held on to a higher ASP
GoT has had some deep sales but maybe not as much as Horizon. Its pretty clear with Horizon they think they've got a huge franchise on their hands so they've been pushing the first game out to people. With Ghost they're more happy to just let the game sell.

As far as TLOU2 goes, it was among the highest selling games in the U.S. last year (above Ghost of Tsushima, second highest selling exclusive behind Animal Crossing), and one of the highest rated games of the year in several European markets.

I think it's sold fine. Not as well as the first game, but any concern around its performance is presumably misplaced, and I would presume it has sold more than 10 million, since it was doing better than Ghost, and Ghost is at 8 million. My assumption for why Sony doesn't share updates on it, to be honest, probably have to do with the game having become a flashpoint of controversy for chuds, much like The Last Jedi or Captain Marvel.

I assume we will get an update around the HBO series getting a proper trailer/premier date announcement (at the very least, I expect we will get an updated sales total for the TLOU IP at the time, and we will be able to derive sales of Part 2 from that number, if nothing else).

I don’t know what counts as amazing if a new IP selling 8 million copies and counting isn’t that.

Back
Top Bottom