• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

GfK Entertainment: Best-selling physical sales in Europe for HY1 2022 - Pokémon Legends #1, Horizon #2, FIFA #3

Why would the mobile market mean anything regarding consoles? How about looking at the much more closely related PC market?
Why not? Both is being used by people. Both are the gaming category.
I'm not sure I get why the more closely related PC market should is different.
The PC market is 100% digital, too and people are used to it with good digital marketplaces.
But the PC gaming market is not used by as many people in Japan as the mobile gaming market. The argument however would be the same

I'm not sure if that claim still holds true.
After all, Japan is the biggest mobile market and people are used to digital stores from that.
But the dominant console platforms didn't have a good digital store until the new Eshop on Switch.
So I would not be surprised, if Japan has in fact a higher digital share / penetration than Europe. (for Nintendo especially, overall proabbly not)
Sure it won't come close to the US, but still.
Or take Xbox Series for example. Those soon to be 250k units sold have basically 0 retail sales. Those users have to play and buy some stuff for their console. They don't just below the TV. Game Pass is most likely the majority, but some digital games will be bought.
We saw PS4 games having much lower digital share in Japan than in Europe/NA, why it would be different with Switch games in general? Outside vouchers but that is also a thing in Europe

There are certain 3rd party Switch games like Just Dance and FIFA Legacy Edition that do indeed have very low digital ratios (10-15%) in Europe due to their casual-focused target audience (Hardcore FIFA fans who are more inclined to purchase FIFA digitally will buy it on other platforms where they will get a proper FIFA experience).

I think Chris Dring sees that data and assumes that all Switch games have such a low digital ratio.

There are certain 3rd party Switch games like Just Dance and FIFA Legacy Edition that do indeed have very low digital ratios (10-15%) in Europe due to their casual-focused target audience (Hardcore FIFA fans who are more inclined to purchase FIFA digitally will buy it on other platforms where they will get a proper FIFA experience.

I think Chris Dring sees that data and assumes that all Switch games have such a low digital ratio.
He has mentioned Monster Hunter digital ratio (and other big 3rd party games) for his reasoning of what he expects the digital ratio to be. In my opinion is hard to judge it this way due to vouchers being a thing but is probably the best way for him to estimate the digital ratio

Also FIFA 22 legacy edition probably has a big digital ratio thanks to the sub 10$ eShop sales lol

Globally, at least upfront with consoles, we know Rise had a higher digital share than World (40% vs 30%). Granted it came 3 years later but even in Europe I don't think there's even a remote possibility Rise Switch is at 10-15% digital.

Why not? Both is being used by people. Both are the gaming category.
I'm not sure I get why the more closely related PC market should is different.
The PC market is 100% digital, too and people are used to it with good digital marketplaces.
But the PC gaming market is not used by as many people in Japan as the mobile gaming market. The argument however would be the same
Because consumer spending is radically different on mobile versus console/PC for "premium" software. Japan being a leading mobile market is of little consequence for digital ratios with full priced "premium" games because mobile largely ignores that model. Meanwhile following your logic, PC's weak position in Japan could indicate the market is more focused on packaged software.

Last edited:
Vouchers are far less interesting in Europe than in Japan.

Retail is still the cheaper option there.
I wonder... Why Nintendo don't return to the "Nintendo Player's Choice/Select" line, even with only a mild discount (-15%)?
Even more, why some games didn't re-relased with all aditional digital exlusve post-launch content? I only knew in Japan about the new batch of TLoZ: Breath of the Wild game taht included all the DLC's, and wasn't a "price discount" edition. Why not chase some more sales with a new version of the game with more content? It could probably work with Zelda, Smash, Mario Oddysey, Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis and Mario Party Super Stars. It's not necessary a lower price, but only add the DLC's and post-launch content with some kind of "Final" or "Defenitive" edition.

I wonder... Why Nintendo don't return to the "Nintendo Player's Choice/Select" line, even with only a mild discount (-15%)?
Even more, why some games didn't re-relased with all aditional digital exlusve post-launch content? I only knew in Japan about the new batch of TLoZ: Breath of the Wild game taht included all the DLC's, and wasn't a "price discount" edition. Why not chase some more sales with a new version of the game with more content? It could probably work with Zelda, Smash, Mario Oddysey, Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis and Mario Party Super Stars. It's not necessary a lower price, but only add the DLC's and post-launch content with some kind of "Final" or "Defenitive" edition.
I am expecting a new moves on their part when those games get their follow-ups. So in 2023/2024.

Nintendo approach to price cuts for both hardware/software is the same only when new games/console that could compete with them are releasing soon or have released they start doing them.

I am expecting a new moves on their part when those games get their follow-ups. So in 2023/2024.
Hmmm, I felt its very late. I understand the Nintendo stand aroud the self-devaluation of they own software, they were very sturbon when its came about discounts, but when they relased games with DLC's as Breath of the Wild, the Xenoblade saga (althoug, Torna is bigger that an actual DLC), Mario Oddyseey, Splatoon 2, A.R.M.S., Super Smash Bros and The Mario Sports and Party series, I could belive re-relased with all the DLC and actualization in the same cartige and for the same original relase price (US$60.00), I could drive some more sales and reach more wide the audience.
Even more, Nintendo isn't alien about the idea, I clearly remember in Japan there were was relased versions of Breath of the Wild, Kirby and Splatoon 2 with upgrades and DLC included. It's only and extra.

Hmmm, I felt its very late. I understand the Nintendo stand aroud the self-devaluation of they own software, they were very sturbon when its came about discounts, but when they relased games with DLC's as Breath of the Wild, the Xenoblade saga (althoug, Torna is bigger that an actual DLC), Mario Oddyseey, Splatoon 2, A.R.M.S., Super Smash Bros and The Mario Sports and Party series, I could belive re-relased with all the DLC and actualization in the same cartige and for the same original relase price (US$60.00), I could drive some more sales and reach more wide the audience.
Even more, Nintendo isn't alien about the idea, I clearly remember in Japan there were was relased versions of Breath of the Wild, Kirby and Splatoon 2 with upgrades and DLC included. It's only and extra.
Most of the games you mentioned never even got DLC. Kirby didn't either.

The amount of free if not cheap content on Switch is massive, they are not in a rush to introduce these kind of re-releases when you could spent that money on new interesting indie games or DLC. Switch has been a very attractive plattform for smaller devs and AA games, the moment you get BotW/Odyssey and co. for 20-25€ bucks its gonna apply more pressure on smaller games as well. Dont think Nintendo is interested in that, yet.

What they have is working for them and i still believe they are gonna make older games available through a sub instead of introducing traditional Players Choice line. Same way they are pushing DLC for their multiplayer megahits instead of re-releasing them as GotY SKUs.

I also think people overestimate the amount of extra sales the big hitter would get from price drops, unless we talk about really steep ones which isnt realistic.

Either way we will know more about their plans once more 2nd generation Switch/First Generation Drake games have been released.

Most of the games you mentioned never even got DLC. Kirby didn't either.
My mistake for Kirby then.
But for the other games:
Splatoon 2: Octoexpasion
Breath of the Wild: The Master Trials and The Champions' Ballad
Super Mario Odyssey: Luigi's Balloon World
The Mario Sports games: They came with very little content originally (Mario Strikers didn't have Daisy in the roster at lauch, for example)
Xenoblade 2: Before Torna, they relased 4 DLC's packs with items, monsters and a new game mode.

A.R.M.S.: Max Brass was relased as a free DLC.
Fire Emblem 3 Houses: It have 4 DLC packs.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: All the new fighters

Really, there are the games that should be re-relased as one single cartige at the same price as originally were sold (in Japan BotW and Splatoon 2 were re-relased with all DLC's in a new print of the games)
The amount of free if not cheap content on Switch is massive, they are not in a rush to introduce these kind of re-releases when you could spent that money on new interesting indie games or DLC. Switch has been a very attractive plattform for smaller devs and AA games, the moment you get BotW/Odyssey and co. for 20-25€ bucks its gonna apply more pressure on smaller games as well. Dont think Nintendo is interested in that, yet.

What they have is working for them and i still believe they are gonna make older games available through a sub instead of introducing traditional Players Choice line. Same way they are pushing DLC for their multiplayer megahits instead of re-releasing them as GotY SKUs.

I also think people overestimate the amount of extra sales the big hitter would get from price drops, unless we talk about really steep ones which isnt realistic.

Either way we will know more about their plans once more 2nd generation Switch/First Generation Drake games have been released.
I want clarify my point: Nintendo shouldn't re-relase games with 50% permanent discount. They should relase some games with a new permament price discount ($50.00-$55.00) and some games as "GotY Edition" for the same price as originally launched. Historically, when Nintendo heavy discount games, its when they felt the games were not selling enough or are dissasters. And we have harsh precdents with beloved series: The Dragon Quest(Warrior in USA) fiasco during 1989 in N.A. that promt them giving for free to new Nintendo Power suscribers, F-Zero GX sitting in the bottom of bargain bins or Metroid Other M selling for pennies during months. So, they not should chasing the dangerous trendt in the other consoles about a race to the bottom, but should considerate mild permanent discounts with old games (4 years).

But for the other games:
The Mario Sports games: They came with very little content originally (Mario Strikers didn't have Daisy in the roster at lauch, for example)
Xenoblade 2: Before Torna, they relased 4 DLC's packs with items, monsters and a new game mode.

Really, there are the games that should be re-relased as one single cartige at the same price as originally were sold (in Japan BotW and Splatoon 2 were re-relased with all DLC's in a new print of the games)
I understand and support the idea for paid DLC/expansions but almost nobody would be interested in buying a game again just to have the latest patch on the cartridge.
If you bought SMO: You already have the new mini game.
If you plan to buy SMO: You'll probably want to buy the old edition since the price dropped and the DLC/patch is free anyway.

Changing the pipeline by installing a different version on the cartridge and redesigning the packaging just to sell the game at the same MSRP isn't worth it.

But for the other games:

I want clarify my point: Nintendo shouldn't re-relase games with 50% permanent discount. They should relase some games with a new permament price discount ($50.00-$55.00) and some games as "GotY Edition" for the same price as originally launched. Historically, when Nintendo heavy discount games, its when they felt the games were not selling enough or are dissasters. And we have harsh precdents with beloved series: The Dragon Quest(Warrior in USA) fiasco during 1989 in N.A. that promt them giving for free to new Nintendo Power suscribers, F-Zero GX sitting in the bottom of bargain bins or Metroid Other M selling for pennies during months. So, they not should chasing the dangerous trendt in the other consoles about a race to the bottom, but should considerate mild permanent discounts with old games (4 years).
Free updates are not what people call DLC. In many cases the updates and patches are already on the cartridges in later print runs.

Making a game with all the updates and patches will lead to increase of cartridge cost. No sane companies will purposely lowered their revenue/earnings by doing stuffs that u can't even really market for double dipping purchase.

Back
Top Bottom