• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

General Consensus Poll: Will The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 release in 2022?

Will The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 (tentative title) release in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokuiten

Enthusiast
Infected with 'Xenoblade'. 御免なさい🙇‍♀️
Reasons lead me to rewatch the latest BotW 2-trailer vom last year that ends with "2022" as a release date. Until now I was in the camp that wasn't sure about a 2022-release and that it could go either way. However, it's already April now (well, almost) and no word from Nintendo has been given that changes that release date. Half a year ago I was more doubtful, but now that we're probably only slightly over half a year away from the assumed release date of BotW 2, I'm starting to get more confident that the game actually will release this year. Waiting too long to tell fans "whoops, sorry, but it's gonna be 2023 actually lulz" would only backfire, that's a message you'd want to get out earlier than mere months from the expected release.

But last I knew, this is still a highly discussed topic, some saying "no way it's gonna be this year" or "it'll be 2023 alongside Switch 2", but also others saying "Nintendo said it's gonna be 2022, so it's gonna be 2022" and "It's Xenoblade 2 all over again", and then some people anywhere in-between these opinions. So to get an up-to-date picture of the current general consensus about BotW 2's release date, I figured we best do a nice IB poll and see what happens.

Feel free to not only vote, but also post and elaborate on your reasoning for why you expect a certain release year.

you all don't want to hear it, but I think it will coincide with the upcoming Drake system. and if not, within 3 months of it. a co-advertisement if you will

but I think 2022 is stacked as it is. slotting this in without fighting for air from something else might be difficult. so I'm gonna say March 2023

In no way does it make any sense for Nintendo to release two big open world games in the same month (November).

No way is BOTW 2 coming out this year. If Nintendo were smart, they'd push it back onto Switch 2 at this point; but either way, there's no point in letting BOTW 2 and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet cannabilise each other this year.

In no way does it make any sense for Nintendo to release two big open world games in the same month (November).

No way is BOTW 2 coming out this year. If Nintendo were smart, they'd push it back onto Switch 2 at this point; but either way, there's no point in letting BOTW 2 and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet cannabilise each other this year.
But Pokemon is Pokemon, it doesn't really matter whether it's open-world or not, it is not the same audience as the BotW-audience. Plus, Pokemon is a yearly fixture.

If Xenoblade 3 released later, I'd say that's a good reason to believe Zelda is out for 2022, but XB3 in September gives just enough breathing room for a December release of BotW 2.

Why are you assuming BOTW2 has to release in November? Nintendo released Odyssey in October and Smash in December. Nov isn’t the only option for big releases.

you all don't want to hear it, but I think it will coincide with the upcoming Drake system. and if not, within 3 months of it. a co-advertisement if you will

but I think 2022 is stacked as it is. slotting this in without fighting for air from something else might be difficult. so I'm gonna say March 2023
Pokemon S/V is the only game that's as popular as BOTW 2 , in any case releasing BOTW 2 would 'kill' the other games series not the other way around. Also is overrated how good 2022 switch lineup is after summer when it comes to sales (I'm not taking about quality), none of the games releasing (bar Pokemon) are expected to sell more than 3M. Nintendo needs another big release other than Pokemon for holiday season and BOTW 2 being the only of this type announced for 2022 makes it the more obvious one.

Yes. I don't think Nintendo wants to delay the release even more. And if drake does release this year even more reasons to make it come out this year with the system (unless Xenoblade 3 is the game accompanying the launch)

Also I feel like it will release in october alongside Drake.

Nintendo has a lot of teams they could throw at any problem the game could face during production. They'll use the game to "win" E3 and start promoting it in earnest ahead of it's late Fall release just ahead of GOTY season where it will promptly lose to Elden Ring.

Pokemon S/V is the only game that's as popular as BOTW 2 , in any case releasing BOTW 2 would 'kill' the other games series not the other way around. Also is overrated how good 2022 switch lineup is after summer when it comes to sales (I'm not taking about quality), none of the games releasing (bar Pokemon) are expected to sell more than 3M. Nintendo needs another big release other than Pokemon for holiday season and BOTW 2 being the only of this type announced for 2022 makes it the more obvious one.
XC3 can sell 3mil+

Also I dunno why something needs to sell 3mil+ After sept?

Why are you assuming BOTW2 has to release in November? Nintendo released Odyssey in October and Smash in December. Nov isn’t the only option for big releases.

Late October, Early December. Whatever. Either way it's far too close a release window to Pokemon for two very similar open world games to compete against each other in.

Makes no sense to have two big time-sink open world games from the same publisher fighting against each other for Xmas sales. Bayonetta 3 taking the October or December slot makes perfect sense, but not yet another open world game.

I do not think it’s going to slip to Switch 2.

I also largely think it will be this year so long as we are counting Fiscal, I really think it could be ready for Nov but I just don’t know how much Nintendo feels the need to put it there given how well BOTW did with out the need of a Holiday release.

I think it will happen this year. But a delay is plausible given how schedules have slipped in the last couple of years.

Pokemon marches to the beat of its own drum to the extent where a mainline entry was released the exact same day as Smash Wii U back in 2014. I unfortunately don't have empirical data to back this up but if you're perceptive enough you will have noticed that Nintendo fans and Pokemon fans are two distinct categories that happen to overlap because they share platform and history. These two games are not competing against each other.

I really hope it does but given Nintendo already has XC3 and a new Pokémon gen lined up for the holiday period, on top of anything else they may announce, they don't really need it. I think they will absolutely delay it if it's not going to be 100% complete and perfectly polished in time, expectations are so high after the first game.

My prediction - during the summer direct, Nintendo is going to do as they did with Animal Crossing New Horizons in 2019 and give, with a robust new trailer, an exact release date for BOTW2 in March 2023.

Surprisingly, the yes-votes are now below 75%. So much doubt after all.

Just as I thought, the only argument for a delay shared here is: "the lineup is to stacked", which it really isn't. And apparently Mario Strikers will sell below 3M, lol.

red_dwarf_2020_special_c.jpg

Ahh, Smug Mode!

So it got delayed after all. Now I'm getting curious about what they're adding to that game.

Launching Pokemon and Zelda in a span of a couple weeks never made sense - glad they confirmed it.
I really don't think this is the reason. Zelda got delayed because of Zelda.

EDIT: Or alternatively, to coincide with a Switch 2 launch.

I really don't think this is the reason. Zelda got delayed because of Zelda.
I didnt say this was the reason, just said that it didnt make sense.
Why kill yourself to target a dev release window that is already occupied by another massive release ?

Those are both +20m sellers, this didnt make sense.

Launching Pokemon and Zelda in a span of a couple weeks never made sense - glad they confirmed it.

Give XB3 also more room to breathe.
True and I said that, too. But there were (prominent) people here that claimed there's no reason to assume a delay post-2022 ^^

I fully agree with you, though. BotW 2 just got turned into a Switch 2-launch title officially (imo).

I didnt say this was the reason, just said that it didnt make sense.
Why kill yourself to target a dev release window that is already occupied by another massive release ?
Ah, gotcha. But a 2022 release would have still made sense for BotW 2, if the game was ready to roll out.

But there were (prominent) people here that claimed there's no reason to assume a delay post-2022 ^^
Like we said, if Zelda was going to be delayed, it would be because of Zelda. Not because they're afraid of launching near Pokemon.

I fully agree with you, though. BotW 2 just got turned into a Switch 2-launch title officially (imo).
I would agree that this kinda makes me think Switch 2 will come in 2023.

If we assume a March 2023-release (earlierst reasonable date now), it will have been 6 years since BotW 1 released. Even with Corona, it makes me wonder what this game is going to offer, because that's a super massive dev time, especially for a Zelda-game that doesn't have much focus on story, cutscenes, voice-acting and choices, which is what makes development of games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim so extensive. I'm definitely expecting more than the initially assumed "quick sequel reusing assets, set in the same world"-Zelda.

Screenshotted before people realize they can edit their vote xD. No worries though, just saving this as a historical IB-document ^^

IB-Zelda-BOTW2-Poll-01.png

Even if it has been delayed I still think this was planned for 2022 and the delay has to do with development taking even longer than expected and not Pokemon being released close to it or having an already stacked lineup, Nintendo knew about the lineup when they announced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom