• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Games Industry.biz: Jim Ryan wants PS to 'expand beyond the historic console heartland, can take many forms'

AshenOne

Student
Pronouns
He/Him/His
So, Jim ryan during yesterday's Games Industry.biz interview stated this:
"I've been on record talking about increasing the size of the PlayStation community, and expanding beyond our historic console heartland. This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways. We are starting to go multiplatform, you've seen that. We have an aggressive road map with live services. And the opportunity to work with, and particularly learn from, the brilliant and talented people from Bungie... that is going to considerably accelerate the journey we find ourselves on."

"Philosophically, this isn't about pulling things into the PlayStation world. This is about building huge and wonderful new worlds together."
This is the 2nd time maybe when he has bluntly stated that He wants Playstation games to go beyond console also that Sony 'are starting to go multiplatform' also that 'it can take many forms'. Its clear that Sony intends shelving its exclusive approach to some extent and start multiplatform releases, right now its in the shape of late PC ports but they intend to make mobile version of their games as well and we might see stuff like spartacus and day one PC ports down the line. What do you all think? PS has changed its overall approach to releasing games in the future? or will it stay the same for now? I think its a topic that hasn't been discussed in its own thread in here and is ripe for a discussion.

Yeah, this is a very interesting interview that kind of got glossed over during yesterday's Bungie madness.

It does really indicate that Sony are starting to follow in Microsoft's footsteps and move towards a more service orientated hardware agnostic future. I think that Sony are starting to realise that the traditional console hardware business model is coming to an end (at least within the traditional AAA video game sector), and that the subscription model is the one and only future for them.

I know that Sony have previously said that they don't intend to compete directly against Game Pass with day-1 SIE releases, but I do fully expect Sony to renege on this. Microsoft have succesfully disrupted the traditional AAA console side of the industry, and I think that Sony will end up following in Microsoft's stead. Therefore, expect them to continue releasing more multiplatform titles (potentially across rival consoles too, not just PC & Mobile; and also via cloud streaming services) and for them to start offering SIE releases on day-1 via Sparticus.

When it comes to Playstation, the truth is that they have always been a very reactive company. Their history is littered with examples of following wider industry trends and innovations that had already previously happened elsewhere (Move, Dualshock, Playstation Plus etc), and rarely do Sony act as true pioneers of any major industry trend. But fortunately for Sony, history has also shown that First Mover Advantage is not inassailable. They will follow where the market is going and act in a reactive fashion, like they always do.

I dont really care if they make games for more platforms as long as their first party output doesnt transition into generic 3rd party games.
If anything I think this is a clear statement they want to bring their quality to other platforms. I guess Sony can see their PS4 success is not always going to be repeated so its better to spread things about as MS has started doing.

Yeah, this is a very interesting interview that kind of got glossed over during yesterday's Bungie madness.

It does really indicate that Sony are starting to follow in Microsoft's footsteps and move towards a more service orientated hardware agnostic future. I think that Sony are starting to realise that the traditional console hardware business model is coming to an end (at least within the traditional AAA video game sector), and that the subscription model is the one and only future for them.

I know that Sony have previously said that they don't intend to compete directly against Game Pass with day-1 SIE releases, but I do fully expect Sony to renege on this. Microsoft have succesfully disrupted the traditional AAA console side of the industry, and I think that Sony will end up following in Microsoft's stead. Therefore, expect them to continue releasing more multiplatform titles (potentially across rival consoles too, not just PC & Mobile; and also via cloud streaming services) and for them to start offering SIE releases on day-1 via Sparticus.

When it comes to Playstation, the truth is that they have always been a very reactive company. Their history is littered with examples of following wider industry trends and innovations that had already previously happened elsewhere (Move, Dualshock, Playstation Plus etc), and rarely do Sony act as true pioneers of any major industry trend. But fortunately for Sony, history has also shown that First Mover Advantage is not inassailable. They will follow where the market is going and act in a reactive fashion, like they always do.
Yeah, I agree with this. We'll have to see what Nintendo manages to achieve with regards to premium pricing, but I think hardware-agnostic free-to-play offerings and premium game subscriptions have become the clear goal of where things are heading, and Sony seems to be acknowledging that. I'm still a bit worried about Sony and this transition though. There have been comparisons to Microsoft/Game Pass delivering a Netflix-style experience, with a lot of different kinds of content but smaller in scope, and PlayStation delivering a cinema-style experience, fewer but higher-end content. This change in direction is probably going to affect its software pipeline (at least in the long term).

Yeah, I agree with this. We'll have to see what Nintendo manages to achieve with regards to premium pricing, but I think hardware-agnostic free-to-play offerings and premium game subscriptions have become the clear goal of where things are heading, and Sony seems to be acknowledging that. I'm still a bit worried about Sony and this transition though. There have been comparisons to Microsoft/Game Pass delivering a Netflix-style experience, with a lot of different kinds of content but smaller in scope, and PlayStation delivering a cinema-style experience, fewer but higher-end content. This change in direction is probably going to affect its software pipeline (at least in the long term).
Ironically, for all of Sony's efforts to ape Hollywood with its internally developed games, they will now have to deal with the same problem of trying to sell outlandishly expensive to develop products via subscription services. Live by the sword, die by the sword indeed.

I honestly believe that PS5 might be the last Playstation hardware.

What if Spartacus is bigger than Game Pass in the sense that it is a Playstation service that can be played on all platforms? It's their streaming platform combined with Playstation games.

Sony might be shedding their hardware to focus on their entertainment business.

The Bungie acquisition makes sense if you think about it being exclusive to Spartacus - which would be platform agnostic.

I honestly believe that PS5 might be the last Playstation hardware.

What if Spartacus is bigger than Game Pass in the sense that it is a Playstation service that can be played on all platforms? It's their streaming platform combined with Playstation games.

Sony might be shedding their hardware to focus on their entertainment business.

The Bungie acquisition makes sense if you think about it being exclusive to Spartacus - which would be platform agnostic.
If something has been working for decades.. why 'abandon' it? Its the dumbest move, Sony or any Corp in Sony's Position can make rn. Even Xbox has kept consoles going.

Last edited:
Even if the demand for streaming was there, the internet infrastructure is not, in america at least. And it wont be anytime soon.

We have ISPs that literally make deals with each other so they dont compete with each other in certain areas and even if the speeds improved the price and data caps will still be an issue.

Sony is realizing that ever increasing AAA game costs are unsustainable even with all their MTX money. They are trying to figure out new ways to grow. They are looking at all the phone users and PC users and thinking about selling to them. It's an easy and uncreative thought process.

The flaw in that thinking is two-fold: 1) are there enough PC video game fans who haven't played AAA games and spent on MTX to grow the market? and 2) Is the mobile MTX game world saturated already?

Maybe they could bundle Playstation into Sony TV's? Even still, are there enough AAA MTX game fans who haven't already gotten into that ecosystem via Playstation, Xbox, or PC?

Sony is realizing that ever increasing AAA game costs are unsustainable even with all their MTX money. They are trying to figure out new ways to grow. They are looking at all the phone users and PC users and thinking about selling to them. It's an easy and uncreative thought process.

The flaw in that thinking is two-fold: 1) are there enough PC video game fans who haven't played AAA games and spent on MTX to grow the market? and 2) Is the mobile MTX game world saturated already?

Maybe they could bundle Playstation into Sony TV's? Even still, are there enough AAA MTX game fans who haven't already gotten into that ecosystem via Playstation, Xbox, or PC?
Sony could put their streaming service non-Sony TVs. Which begs the question - why make hardware at all?

The issues with Sony going all in on AAA games is that they are taking forever to make and getting more expensive. Especially at the fidelity that Sony prides themselves on. This is not helped but their lack of creating smaller games to compensate for the bigger ones coming out. Third parties are also taking forever/costing more which means there are always gaps now.

Both PC & mobile are very saturated competitive markets. PC has no short of great games coming out year after year, many with mtx and many without. Mobile has increasingly been getting more expensive and more competitive as production values increase, steady streams of post launch content, engaging good gameplay become the staple. The mobile market also cycles through if one is not careful, good, or fast enough to retain attention.

Sony is trying that with their Xperia line with little to no success. They better hope Spartacus can deliver otherwise it will be rough for them.

Post Netflix-stock plunge; there's been a lot of talk about how the streaming model is starting to look like a fool's errand to investors. Television is switching from what was considered a weak revenue model before, to an even weaker one. This is something that armchair analysists have suggested for some time and it seems to be becoming a reality with all the competition happening in that space.

Things are just so volatile right now. And not in a way that I can enjoy as a fan of media consumption.

Streaming is just meeting a ceiling everyone knew was coming but everyone was waiting to see if the speculation would drive the price higher.

Netflix is in danger of being crushed out by the new competitors. Brands don't matter here. Content does.

Post Netflix-stock plunge; there's been a lot of talk about how the streaming model is starting to look like a fool's errand to investors. Television is switching from what was considered a weak revenue model before, to an even weaker one. This is something that armchair analysists have suggested for some time and it seems to be becoming a reality with all the competition happening in that space.

Things are just so volatile right now. And not in a way that I can enjoy as a fan of media consumption.
The nightmare scenario of video streaming becoming just a worse, more expensive version of Cable is playing out before our eyes.

The nightmare scenario of video streaming becoming just a worse, more expensive version of Cable is playing out before our eyes.
Not sure what folk expected and we are not even at the point that many of these streaming platforms spend within their means.

It does seem bizarre that xbox and playstation are rerally trying to pivot away from consoles when demand for their consoles are at an all time high. I guess they're preparing for the future, but a future of lots of competing streaming services isn't one I'm looking forward to.

People talk about streaming as if its inevitable and those who don't prepare will be left behind but its these companies preparing for and creating these services which create the future. Self-fulfilling prophecy I guess.

People laughed at Nintendo for their Withered Technology approach and basically being 1 generation behind on what its offered.
Either by luck or insight, their stance is proving to be the most sustainable model for a longer run period.
Both PS and Xbox expanding towards PC is a clear sign their console efforts alone are not longer being as profitable as expected and keep chasing the "power" route will only ensure dev prices (and likely time) keep going up.

The Idea of transitioning to a Service might sound good on Paper, but I have high doubts about it proper implementation given all the limitation in the big markets

USA: ISP quasi-monopoly means the internet and prices required to support the System are not there at the time.
Japan: The best possible land in terms of Internet for the streaming but PS is falling out of Grace with the consumers there.
China: CCP regulations.

It will be interesting to see what happens, either a break tru technology that will dive the prices of game development without sacrificing the quality or, the Big Guys will crash head 1st into a wall

Why is it always that they’re not making as much money as expected (despite posting record breaking numbers) and not the very obvious notion that they actually just want more money irrespective of how well they’re already doing? These companies are greedy, if they see an avenue for growth why wouldn’t they explore it?

Why is it always that they’re not making as much money as expected (despite posting record breaking numbers) and not the very obvious notion that they actually just want more money irrespective of how well they’re already doing? These companies are greedy, if they see an avenue for growth why wouldn’t they explore it?
its an odd change of course from the traditional model of "me and only me" console have ever worked. and Kinda risky??
Microsoft move to PC, ok , sure Xbox is just 1 branch of Microsoft, the PC titan of OS.
Sony on other hand I assume they are diving in PC cause they dont fear some old exclusives getting into PC will affect their share of the console marker so they are leveraging that risk against all the possible money they can make from a port. But that itself is an extra step, extra work to do I think they wont be making if they didnt need to for X or Y, cause if its 100% more money we are talking about, by that logic going 3rd party might prove to be a more profitable endeavor overall

To be fair to people who say the bolded, companies themselves have consistently said over the last twelve years that they are not making enough. See the lastest in 70$ games where they mention this as the reason to increase price.

Back
Top Bottom