• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Gamefreak: Mainline Pokemon Games Output/Discussion Thread

What will the Pokemon 2024 game be? Will there even be one?

• Total voters
As much as we criticize GameFreak's output, that same output has been a huge boon to Switch's momentum throughout its lifecycle.

Nov 2018: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Nov 2019: Sword/Shield
Nov 2021: BrilliantDiamond/ShiningPearl
Jan 2022: Legends Arceus
Nov 2022: Scarlet/Violet
Nov 2024: ???

We'll see soon enough, but a lot of holiday sales are riding on whatever they unveil.

Hoping for Colosseum/XD re-releases hoping it tanks the insane prices they are going for nowadays (especially XD).

Besides the new holiday game, I'm curious if TPC/GameFreak/Nintendo will finally make the mainline Pokemon games available on GB/GBA NSO.

Why is that ?
I think there's a few reasons:
a) I can see them wanting to give Legends more time as the newest Pokémon game to increase sales.
b) They don't seem to like announcing games a long time beforehand. They did it with SWSH but that was mostly just to reassure people that a Switch Pokemon game was happening after USUM was revealed for the 3DS. So if the only thing on the horizon is BW remakes for a year, there will undoubtedly be a lot of backlash which I think they'll want to avoid if they can.
c) Making sure that Gen 10 is both ready on time and isn't a technical embarrassment is probably (hopefully) a priority for them. It's even more important since that will be the 30th anniversary release. By finishing Legends early they could put more staff on Gen 10 to help that game's development.

I think there's a few reasons:
a) I can see them wanting to give Legends more time as the newest Pokémon game to increase sales.
b) They don't seem to like announcing games a long time beforehand. They did it with SWSH but that was mostly just to reassure people that a Switch Pokemon game was happening after USUM was revealed for the 3DS. So if the only thing on the horizon is BW remakes for a year, there will undoubtedly be a lot of backlash which I think they'll want to avoid if they can.
c) Making sure that Gen 10 is both ready on time and isn't a technical embarrassment is probably (hopefully) a priority for them. It's even more important since that will be the 30th anniversary release. By finishing Legends early they could put more staff on Gen 10 to help that game's development.
I am almost certain the original plan was to not launch Legends Arceus just 2 months after BD/SP. If this can be avoided then I'm sure it will be avoided.

I am almost certain the original plan was to not launch Legends Arceus just 2 months after BD/SP. If this can be avoided then I'm sure it will be avoided.
I don't think BDSP was in the original plan at all. It began development in March 2020, when the pandemic began to have large scale effects on the world. I reckon that if the pandemic hadn't happened, we would've got Legends in 2021 and nothing else.

I don't think BDSP was in the original plan at all. It began development in March 2020, when the pandemic began to have large scale effects on the world. I reckon that if the pandemic hadn't happened, we would've got Legends in 2021 and nothing else.
No, if the pandemic didn't happen, then BDSP would have probably released earlier than it did, while Legends Arceus would have taken the holiday 2021 release slot.

No, if the pandemic didn't happen, then BDSP would have probably released earlier than it did, while Legends Arceus would have taken the holiday 2021 release slot.
It was signed in March 2020, so TPC/Game Freak had a pretty good idea that a pandemic was coming. The development cycle is far too rushed to be a real part of their plans pre-pandemic and they'd work closer on the game either sharing their engine or having a number of engineers help implement systems.
Even if we cast this aside and assume the pandemic was unrelated, I don't really see how that would have been possible since there's no real way BDSP could have been developed faster. And Legends Arceus was done by late 2021 (maybe earlier). It was internally delayed so they could release BDSP first.

BDSP obviously suffered from the short development cycle though. If it was always planned, why did they not begin development earlier? Trying to make an HD remake of a DS game in a year and a half during a pandemic was extremely ambitious and resulted in a game that shipped without even having finished music or a title screen.

They definitely had BDSP in the plans since Gamefreak has a tradition of releasing remakes each gen, no reason to believe gen 4 wasn't going to get a remake especially when Legends released right after. Honestly I'm thinking maybe BDSP was suppose to come out earlier in the year with Legends for the holiday, but who knows. I think it makes sense to release these remakes before each Legends game to remind people of the current day region (current Sinnoh/BDSP) and then compare to past region (past Sinnoh/Legends Arceus). Some rumors point to two games and Johto is getting a lot of love. Maybe Gen 2 remakes in Lets Go artstyle and Legends Celebi?

Edit: If they do the Gen 2 remakes in Lets Go artstyle then have the work is complete because Kanto has already been completed.

That's not quite right. None of the Game Freak remakes are quite the same as BDSP. They are all adapting the original game into a more modern formula with addition story context and original content. BDSP is the exact same with the only difference being that there are areas to catch refined movesets to mirror the Sword/Shield pool of moves, Pokemon in the Underground and replacing Pal Park with Ramanas Park. Tradition would have BDSP resemble Sword & Shield more strongly with some sort of Wild Area substitute. There's also no real reason to believe that they would keep the tradition of remakes when they diverted with Pokemon Let's Go. All that felt certain was a "revisit" to the region though that was from other signs. There's a similar case this time but, because of BDSP's success, they can entertain outsourced straight remakes of Black & White.

Everything that's been confirmed going into the Pokemon Presents:
- New episodes of Pokemon Concierge are in production
- Miradon will be coming to Pokemon Unite starting on Pokemon Day
- Several new features are coming to Pokemon Masters (Photo Mode, Titles, Lucky Skill Stock Feature and a change to Sync Grids)

The Pokemon illustrations counting down to Pokemon Day featured:
- 7 Days Left: Pokemon Masters EX
- 6 Days Left: Pokemon Unite
- 5 Days Left: Pokemon Horizons
- 4 Days Left: Pokemon Go
- 3 Days Left: Pokemon Sleep
- 2 Days Left: Pokemon Cafe ReMix
- 1 Day Left: Pokemon Trading Card Game
- 0 Days Left: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet DLC

I think we'll be getting updates on all of these apart from Scarlet and Violet. Pokemon Presents are usually updates on the whole franchise after all, which a lot of people forget when going into this.

Scarlet and Violet will probably get legendary raid event akin to the Mewtwo and Diamond/Pearl duo events last year. Maybe a series of mystery gift events too but no real content updates. That will probably precede the new game announcements

I wonder if there's a Famiboards thread about how Pokemon games are developed... I've been gathering some information on the CEDEC presentations Game Freak has hosted since I wanted to discuss a bit here but then I realized this was a sales forum. xDD

I could still do so if people are interested but yeah. Might be a bit inappropriate.

I'm shocked.

I dont think ANYONE expected Legends Zygarde.

And the fact that it's coming out in 2025, too... well, we'll see WHEN it comes out in 2025 but... holy shit.

I'm pleased.

Wow that one wasn't even on anyones bingo cards!

What is the holiday game for Switch if not pokemon?

Mario Party?
DK?

Gen 3: gen 1 remake
Gen 4: gen 2 remake
Gen 5: nothing
Gen 6: gen 3 remake
Gen 7: gen 1 remake
Gen 8: gen 4 remake + gen 4 reimagining
Gen 9: gen 6 reimagining

This honestly quite funny.

Also I would imagine the setting would be inspired by late 1800 France.

2 things

1) Gen 10 is 2026

2) WTF is that, not anything anyone had thought about? What is that? A legends game but Gen 6?
We need to see when Legends Kalos releases, but I wouldn't be surprised. We have absolutely no in-game footage of this game.

The game is coming to Switch, but they could delay it and make it a Switch 2 cross-gen title... which wold be absolutely insane.

Taking a year of and slowing down a bit is probably for the best with how some recent releases have turned out.

I guess release date will be spring 2025 - and NOT holiday 2025. If it would have been holiday 2025, then I highly doubt that they would have announced it so early.

I guess release date will be spring 2025 - and NOT holiday 2025. If it would have been holiday 2025, then I highly doubt that they would have announced it so early.
Yeah my immediate thing is that either this is a Switch 2 holiday title or a Switch 2 launch title.

A pokemon game. Probably being a Switch 2 launch title. That's nuts. That's new. That's different.
So is mainline Pokemon skipping a year, that hasnt happened since 2014.
So is them doing Legends Zygarde, who expected Legends Zygarde. The rumors were Unova remakes or Let's Go/Legends Johto.

I'm pleased.

Strange, what was with all the Gen 2 Pokemon stuff like the Unowns, Raikou and the GB era music if they aren't doing anything with it(outside of Sleep)? It would make more sense to use Gen 6 Pokemon and BGM if that was up next. They didn't last minute cancel a game for 2024 did they? No, surely they would pivot and change up the presentation if that were the case. Weird

Interesting, don't think we should assume this is a Switch 2 launch game. Is this the first sign of a *gulp* Switch 2 2025 holiday release?

Strange, what was with all the Gen 2 Pokemon stuff like the Unowns, Raikou and the GB era music if they aren't doing anything with it(outside of Sleep)? It would make more sense to use Gen 6 Pokemon and BGM if that was up next. They didn't last minute cancel a game for 2024 did they? No, surely they would pivot and change up the presentation if that were the case. Weird
I was also expecting a Let's Go Johto or similarly Gen 2 inclined project with the choice of presentation. It might be that the Unknown end up having a degree of relevance to the narrative of Legends Z-A.

1) Gen 10 is 2026
Not necessarily, especially if this title releases on a similar schedule as the previous Legends entry.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to see they are skipping this year, finally they seem to focus on providing more polished experience now.
Pokémon Z existing is like a dream becoming true, it's been so long, Zygarde deserved more for sure, haha.

On one hand im happy to see that GameFreak has escaped its annual game release grind.

On the sales front however, I was not expecting them to miss the entirety of 2024 without any major release. It's going to be a long wait until 2025 for both hardware and software.

I was also expecting a Let's Go Johto or similarly Gen 2 inclined project with the choice of presentation. It might be that the Unknown end up having a degree of relevance to the narrative of Legends Z-A.

Not necessarily, especially if this title releases on a similar schedule as the previous Legends entry.

I thought just now too. Possibility of

PLZA: Feb release 2025
Gen10: Nov release 2025

I think Gen 10 is 2026. We could get a repeat of Legends ZA and Gen 5 remakes both next year though.

Both on Switch 1 too. Then Gen 10 starts the move to Drake in 2026.

Interesting, don't think we should assume this is a Switch 2 launch game. Is this the first sign of a *gulp* Switch 2 2025 holiday release?
You're actually right witht he first half because Game Freak has previously released games for older consoles well after their successor came out, so it's possible that this might be the case here. Plus Switch 2 backwards compatibility would make this a non-issue.

But honestly, a lot about Legends Z-A is unexpected. The fact that the next Legends game revisits Kalos of all places and not Unova or Johto, the fact that it's coming out in 2025 at all, but one thing sticks out to me here. Usually when Game Freak announces new games, we get footage from them. The footage is very rough and does get better over time but still, we get footage. We don't have any footage here. Like at all. They dont wanna show it yet. Could be for various reasons, but like... we may not get any footage or a concrete release date until a future Pokemon Presents in June or August. At that point the Switch 2 might've been announced...

Plus if you're releasing in early 2025: I feel like if you're releasing so close to the Switch 2's launch you might as well make it a Switch 2 title. Especially if the rumors of the Switch 2 being delayed are true.

Game Freak's habit is to release software on hardware that has an established install base that doesn't limit the cap of potential buyers. It's a part of the hesitancy of jumping on the Switch early and their frequent late generation high profile releases- inclusive of games put out during the ramp up to a new console or even after one has come out. The Switch's successor almost certainly doesn't factor into things in a notable way outside of internal preparation.

As an example, the following is a relevant quote from a Game Informer interview with Junichi Masuda prior to the release of Sun and Moon at a time very close to the reveal and release of the Nintendo Switch exemplifying the aforementioned strategy:
With the NX looming next year and whatever that could mean for handheld Nintendo consoles, will Sun and Moon be the last Pokémon games for 3DS?

Junichi Masuda:
When it comes to the main series, thinking of Pokémon RPGs that we develop at Game Freak, we always really considered the timing of when we released them. There has to be a certain point where we're able to release the games and get them into the hands of enough people, to make sure the audience is big enough. This year, with Pokémon Sun and Moon, obviously we're going to be starting to think about the next title, and then depending on what that timing is, I think that will determine which we platform we would release it on.
This more overly illustrates the priority and consideration made when two hardware generations are in range of one another.

Yeah, that kind of release schedule is entirely possible.

Last edited:
As someone who was always miffed on no Pokemon Z back in the day, this was one heck of an announcement. Definitely not what I expected. I am surprised it isn't this year. I guess they could still announced an outsourced remake for the holidays, but still. Fingers crossed that Gen 10 is a 2026 title now.

Since the game isn't until 2025, this is the right call. Gives more time to polish the visuals/performance.

By waiting, they might be even able to show Switch 2 footage, which should help the reception.
Those are fair points, you're right. In that case, perhaps some concept art during this announcement - I would take that as well instead of just the title.

Whats the difference between Pokemon TCG Live and Pokemon TCG Pocket?

The beloved Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) franchise continues to evolve with the debut of Pokémon Trading Card Game Pocket, a new app that reimagines the experience of collecting Pokémon TCG cards in an innovative digital format.
In Pokémon Trading Card Game Pocket, players will be able to enjoy the thrill of opening booster packs and collecting cards showcasing special visual effects unique to this digital adaptation of the Pokémon TCG. Pokémon Trading Card Game Pocket introduces “immersive cards,” which give players the experience of leaping into the world of the card’s illustration, providing a whole new way to enjoy the Pokémon TCG. Players will be able to open two booster packs every day at no cost, including cards with nostalgic illustrations as well as new cards only found in the app. In addition, players will be able to engage in quick battles featuring streamlined rules based on the classic Pokémon TCG battle system.
Developed in collaboration with Creatures Inc., the creators of the Pokémon TCG, and DeNA Co. Ltd., partners in the development of Pokémon Masters EX, Pokémon Trading Card Game Pocket will launch in 2024 as a free-to-start app for iOS and Android.
https://www.ign.com/articles/pokmon...et-announced-brings-the-tcg-to-mobile-in-2024

Blurb sounds like it's gonna take more from mobile card games features with streamlined rules.

Legend Z is surprising. So Pokemon and TPC accepted no new Pokemon games for 2 consecutive years.O_O

But That Pokemon TCG mobile pocket. Now that one has chance to be huge.

Marvel Snap
Hearthstone
Duel Links
Master Duel.
Magic Gathering Mobile

If this game has real budget and big push. It can be big money maker for Pokemon this year.

No Pokemon game this holiday is legit shocking, but I suppose if there is any Nintendo franchise that really needed to slow its release schedule, it was Pokemon more than anything else.

I guess Gen 10 is a 2026 release then (though I suppose they could just repeat 2022 where Legends Arceus launched very early in the year while Scarlet/Violet launched during the holidays).

Gen 3: gen 1 remake
Gen 4: gen 2 remake
Gen 5: nothing
Gen 6: gen 3 remake
Gen 7: gen 1 remake
Gen 8: gen 4 remake + gen 4 reimagining
Gen 9: gen 6 reimagining

This honestly quite funny.

Also I would imagine the setting would be inspired by late 1800 France.
I'm not going to get over seeing the generation of my childhood being skipped like that...

So this is complete speculation on my end, but I wonder if this is the start of GameFreak moving to a 4 year generation cycle beginning with Gen 10 (ideally in late 2026):

- New Pokemon Generation
- New Pokemon Generation DLC
- New Pokemon Legends game
- New (outsourced) Pokemon Remake

Rinse and repeat. It would certainly be better since each game gets more development time, at least in theory. Things are certainly more complicated than that, but still.

Back
Top Bottom