• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

ERA LTD Report 2022 UK Market: PS5 (0.8M), XBS (0.7M), NSW (0.9M), Top 20 Software sales

I guess i'll ask again, where is the source for which companies participate with GfK on digital?

How valuable even is a PC digital figure that potentially excludes Valve, Tencent, Riot, Krafton, Roblox, Nexon, etc, etc?
Digital is from GSD, from the latest monthly UK report:

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop.

Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Also we're talking about revenue generated by full game sales. None of the publishers you listed are big in that area, particularly in the UK. For all revenue included MTX etc. it would be important to include those companies, and that's what other reports do on a more worldwide basis.

Bundles only account for 20% of Horizon sales. Talking about bundles is not productive and borders on concern trolling. You won’t see the same folks talk about bundles when it comes to MK8 sales.
20% is still a significant part of sales, and GOW bundles percentage is certainly higher than HFW.

Also we're talking about revenue generated by full game sales. None of the publishers you listed are big in that area, particularly in the UK. For all revenue included MTX etc. it would be important to include those companies, and that's what other reports do on a more worldwide basis.
Thanks, it seems GfK's digital panel is comparable to NPD. Although PC side Valve at least still moves significant units in FGS. So do other publishers like Devolver, CD Projekt, Wildcard, Chucklefish and plenty of others absent. Again, if you're going to directly compare packaged to digital with these figures, there's a gigantic caveat that's veing unsaid and it's not just Nintendo.

Bundles only account for 20% of Horizon sales. Talking about bundles is not productive and borders on concern trolling. You won’t see the same folks talk about bundles when it comes to MK8 sales.
20% is absolutely huge though, that would be over 100k sales in the UK. I would argue talking about aspects of sales are exactly what this forum is about, trying to dismiss something as concern trolling is bizarre.

Also that figure is for Europe which is separate data to the UK. We saw from UK specific insights from Chris Dring that Horizon bundle accounted for 43% of PS5 sales between May and September, which means about 110k bundles in that time period alone. Even if we assume that is it, that's still 21% of Horizon total sales and 27% of physical. Given that bundle has kept selling that's a lower bound for the UK.

Bundles are a significant thing to discuss, always. In this case they are even more important given that people bought them as the only way to get a PS5 up until recently, and in fact it seems like it still happens now as the regular version can go out of stock. That is a special situation and means sales for those games absolutely inflated above a normal scenario. I'm a massive fan of all HFW, GT7 and GOWR and Playstation in general, so I'm not trying to downplay anything by saying this.

The MK8 bundle is a very different scenario where people can buy the Switch without it if they want to, and also its a separate holiday bundle rather than something pushed throughout the year. And also yes, absolutely, people talk a lot about bundles when it comes to MK8 sales, that bundle has been going for about 5 years so its just that everything that can be said about it has already been said.

They should because MK8 Deluxe sales are inflated by bundles. Welfare is simply stating a fact, sales of these Sony games are inflated by bundles, this doesnt' diminished their success.

Let me see that same energy the next time we get an update on MK8 or Mario Oddysey sales.
We already have the data from Nintendo about the overall bundle sales of Nintendo Switch consoles since FY2020.

Software sales units bundled with hardware for each fiscal year:
FY20: 3.40M (total software sales: 168.72M)
FY21: 3.80M (total software sales: 230.88M)
FY22: 1.50M (total software sales: 235.07M)

MK8D and SMO sales during those FY
MK8D - 28.64 million units
SMO - 9.06 million units

We already have the data from Nintendo about the overall bundle sales of Nintendo Switch consoles since FY2020.

SMO - 9.06 million units
Also worth noting for MK8D that its an extremely popular game which has a ridiculous attach rate to Switch, about half of people who get a Switch are getting Mario Kart anyway. Add on the fact its a holiday only bundle and there's other options at those times, its safe to say most people buying the Mario Kart bundle were buying Mario Kart anyway.

Edit: actually if you look at the numbers for this thread we have 426k MK8D sales for 880K Switch sales last year. That's a 48% attach ratio with no digital sales counted. It will easily be > 50% for the UK last year. As for the bundles, MK8D sold a total of 41K on black friday week last year, not all of those will be bundles but it will also have sold a bit out of BF week. Safe to say about ~10% of physical sales were bundles.

Last edited:
What's the accuracy of these numbers? I'm having some doubts about them.
They are from GfK and GSD which means they are very accurate.

Also GOW Ragnarök is slightly below my expectations. I was expecting something like ~800K for it. I don't how it has a digital ratio of just 50%?? IIRC Chris mentioned a few weeks ago that its DD was >50% .
Maybe he wasn't taking bundles into consideration....?
Ragnarok's launch week sales were 50% digital but that ratio typically always declines during the post-launch holiday period. We can see this even with the big GAAS multilayer titles - last year's FIFA and COD entries saw 75-80% digital ratios at launch, which declined to 60-65% by the end of 2022.

Yet again we see people throw MK8 Deluxe into a discussion about bundles. The bundles talk comes up for games due to them seeming to have only reached certain milestones due to the bundles, hence bundles may inflate the popularity of games beyond what they truly are. MK8 is different because Nintendo actually gives us data and there is a massive difference between an exclusive reaching 70 million with optional seasonal bundles and an exclusive reaching 20 million with more than seasonal bundles.

20% is still a significant part of sales, and GOW bundles percentage is certainly higher than HFW.

20% is absolutely huge though, that would be over 100k sales in the UK. I would argue talking about aspects of sales are exactly what this forum is about, trying to dismiss something as concern trolling is bizarre.

Also that figure is for Europe which is separate data to the UK. We saw from UK specific insights from Chris Dring that Horizon bundle accounted for 43% of PS5 sales between May and September, which means about 110k bundles in that time period alone. Even if we assume that is it, that's still 21% of Horizon total sales and 27% of physical. Given that bundle has kept selling that's a lower bound for the UK.

Bundles are a significant thing to discuss, always. In this case they are even more important given that people bought them as the only way to get a PS5 up until recently, and in fact it seems like it still happens now as the regular version can go out of stock. That is a special situation and means sales for those games absolutely inflated above a normal scenario. I'm a massive fan of all HFW, GT7 and GOWR and Playstation in general, so I'm not trying to downplay anything by saying this.

The MK8 bundle is a very different scenario where people can buy the Switch without it if they want to, and also its a separate holiday bundle rather than something pushed throughout the year. And also yes, absolutely, people talk a lot about bundles when it comes to MK8 sales, that bundle has been going for about 5 years so its just that everything that can be said about it has already been said.

They should because MK8 Deluxe sales are inflated by bundles. Welfare is simply stating a fact, sales of these Sony games are inflated by bundles, this doesnt' diminished their success.

It’s hard to prove whether those sales would have happened with or without a bundle, especially for a new system launch. That’s why it’s not particularly useful to discuss bundles as the conversation doesn’t take you anywhere productive. It just becomes a landmine for concern trolling.

SMO - 9.06 million units

23% of MK8 & SMO are from bundles and that’s over a 3 year period. In line with the temporary Horizon bundle that was only available for 5 months. I don’t think that’s proof that MK8 sales are inflated and why I would likely never bring it up. Those claims are just hard to prove and not useful to a discussion.

Yet again we see people throw MK8 Deluxe into a discussion about bundles. The bundles talk comes up for games due to them seeming to have only reached certain milestones due to the bundles, hence bundles may inflate the popularity of games beyond what they truly are. MK8 is different because Nintendo actually gives us data and there is a massive difference between an exclusive reaching 70 million with optional seasonal bundles and an exclusive reaching 20 million with more than seasonal bundles.

You are taking it way out of context. I was highlighting that the people that bring up Horizon FW bundles in literally every sales topic are not doing so in MK8 threads. Bringing up bundles is a subtle form of concern trolling, that has been used for the past 20 years in sales age threads. It’s basically a users attempt to troll on the sales of a particular product.

Bundles artificially inflating game sales is only relevant during supply constraints.

Nintendo wasn't bundling anything in 2017 when Switch was badly constrained for basically the year. During covid lockdowns the only bundle was the ACNH SE, which was even harder to get than the similarly supply constrained game itself.

It’s hard to prove whether those sales would have happened with or without a bundle, especially for a new system launch. That’s why it’s not particularly useful to discuss bundles as the conversation doesn’t take you anywhere productive. It just becomes a landmine for concern trolling.

PS5 being supply constrained makes kinda obvious that people accepted to pay more for grabbing a bundle and finally have their unit.

Sounds irrealistic to believe all those people would buy these games if the standalone PS5 was available.

23% of MK8 & SMO are from bundles and that’s over a 3 year period. In line with the temporary Horizon bundle that was only available for 5 months. I don’t think that’s proof that MK8 sales are inflated and why I would likely never bring it up. Those claims are just hard to prove and not useful to a discussion.
If we assumed only MK8D and SMO bundles were available during that period, yes, that percentage is correct, but more bundles were available during that time.

FY2020-2022 bundles with full game download

switch_lite_ac_bundles.jpg

81zi6CuyJvL._SL1500_.jpg

switch-monster-hunter-rise-deluxe-edition-box.jpg

81MnKH+685L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Animal Crossing NH - 38.64 million units
NSMBUD - 10 million units
Monster Hunter Rise(switch version) - 7.7 million units
RFA - 14.09 million units

Last edited:

Not trying to dogpile but 1/5th of sales coming from bundles is a significant portion.

We've had this discussion before but Mario Kart bundle sales would probably be closer to 10% than 20%.

You are taking it way out of context. I was highlighting that the people that bring up Horizon FW bundles in literally every sales topic are not doing so in MK8 threads. Bringing up bundles is a subtle form of concern trolling, that has been used for the past 20 years in sales age threads. It’s basically a users attempt to troll on the sales of a particular product.
The Horizon bundles came out month after Horizon launched. It would not have sold an additional 100K in that 5 months span of it weren't bundled.

Mario Odyssey is not going to have even 5% of its sales come from bundles. The last big bundle it had was at launch in 2017 and that was limited.

Mario Kart is not the only bundled Switch game.

Bringing up bundle sales is not concern trolling. I think we can all agree that even the most popular games on a system would not sell as much if they weren't bundled.

Mario 1 on NES was heavily bundled. Sonic 1 on Genesis was also heavily bundled. Wii Sports is not selling 80M if it weren't bundled. The Last of Us Remastered, Black Ops 3, and Uncharted 4 were all forced bundled as the main SKU for the PS4 in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Halo MCC and Gear Ultimate were the main bundles for XB1 in 2015/2016.

Regarding PS5 bundles, Horizon and God of War have been forced to be "bought" alongside the PS5 because Sony only provided those SKU in meaningful quantity. Only recently has Sony started sending more non bundled units.

Yeah, and in that picture it shows the standard units sold out, meaning that anyone that wanted a PS5 after thar would need to buy the bundle.

Looking at Amazon for July 2022, the Horizon bundle had more units available than the core. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsel...ef=zg_bsar_pg_2/ref=zg_bsar_pg_2?ie=UTF8&pg=2

This is when PS5 was still in its "every unit is selling out" phase.

Yes, sold out. But you've claimed HFW PS5 bundle was the only one for buying, but it wasn't.

Even if you completely discount its official bundled software sales, Horizon Forbidden West would still have sold 400K+, which would be enough to make it the 10/11th biggest game of the year.

Source?

GOWR bundles should be around ~40k in November (38% of all PS5 sold). For the % to be higher than HFW then bundles would've to represent more than 100k+ of PS5 sold in December. We know that in January bundles represented 55% of all PS5 sold (which should translate to ~35k or so).

Not trying to dogpile but 1/5th of sales coming from bundles is a significant portion.

We've had this discussion before but Mario Kart bundle sales would probably be closer to 10% than 20%.

The Horizon bundles came out month after Horizon launched. It would not have sold an additional 100K in that 5 months span of it weren't bundled.

Mario Odyssey is not going to have even 5% of its sales come from bundles. The last big bundle it had was at launch in 2017 and that was limited.

Mario Kart is not the only bundled Switch game.

Bringing up bundle sales is not concern trolling. I think we can all agree that even the most popular games on a system would not sell as much if they weren't bundled.

Mario 1 on NES was heavily bundled. Sonic 1 on Genesis was also heavily bundled. Wii Sports is not selling 80M if it weren't bundled. The Last of Us Remastered, Black Ops 3, and Uncharted 4 were all forced bundled as the main SKU for the PS4 in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Halo MCC and Gear Ultimate were the main bundles for XB1 in 2015/2016.

Regarding PS5 bundles, Horizon and God of War have been forced to be "bought" alongside the PS5 because Sony only provided those SKU in meaningful quantity. Only recently has Sony started sending more non bundled units.

But that is concern trolling. You're only bringing up bundles to say that "HFW sales are not as impressive as the sales lead you to believe". When in reality, as a bundle that charged almost full price for the game, its hard to determine the % of those sales that would have resulted in an independent purchase in the absence of a bundle. So why even bring it up? I think it's even more problematic because you're a staff member for this site.

I don't think MW19's digital share was that high in 2019. It's launch week sales were ~40% digital and that percentage typically drops during the holiday weeks (its digital share then spiked when Covid lockdowns took place in early 2020, which also happened to correspond with the launch of the original Warzone).

With that being said, it has become apparent that Call of Duty will likely never reach its 2009-2012 peak in the UK ever again if MWII couldn't do it.

Oh we got MW19 digital numbers. Didn't know that, do you have a link. I was seeing that catalogue sales, i.e the game in the second year, usually had a digital rate ~10% higher, so I used MW19 2020 digital rate 60% to get to 2019 digital rate.

Even with 40%, MW19 beats MW22 by ~30%, and hotly anticipated sequels usually have a more explosive launch.

I think MW19 did the undoable and did the get the series close to peak 2009 COD. They just dropped the ball really hard with MW22, severely gutting the traditional MP experience in favour for a broken Warzone 2.0, and with how competitive GaaS is I'm not sure they will have another MW19 moment for a long long time.

This discussion about bundles it's at a ridiculous point right now. The games weren't given for free and what matters, in the end, is that these games saw their revenue. Discussing if they would or wouldn't sell it's pointless and an answer both sides can't provide.

But that is concern trolling. You're only bringing up bundles to say that "HFW sales are not as impressive as the sales lead you to believe". When in reality, as a bundle that charged almost full price for the game, its hard to determine the % of those sales that would have resulted in an independent purchase in the absence of a bundle. So why even bring it up? I think it's even more problematic because you're a staff member for this site.
Where did I ever say that Horizon sales were not impressive?

Making a note that PS5 sold every unit in the summer of 2022 because it wasn't in full supply, and that the bundle was the SKU Sony made more of units of, is in no way concern trolling.

Just by the virtue of being a PS5 it was going to sell regardless of what game was in it, we can pretty easily say Horizon would not have sold to all those PS5 buyers if the only SKU on offer in the summer of 2022 was the core SKUs.

Sony could've bundled Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart in every single PS5 last year, are we really going to argue that being force bundled wouldn't help boost sales for that game, which is the whole point of bundles in the first place?

I'm not making any judgement calls on how many units Horizon would've actually sold. I'm just pointing out that there was no "option" regarding buying those bundles. It was either pick the PS5 that was available or don't buy it at all.

This discussion about bundles it's at a ridiculous point right now. The games weren't given for free and what matters, in the end, is that these games saw their revenue. Discussing if they would or wouldn't sell it's pointless and an answer both sides can't provide.

Christopher Dring calls it a popular fanboy argument, and if he's right about that you should get use to the discussions remaining ridiculous cause fanboys aren't going anywhere.

Christopher Dring calls it a popular fanboy argument, and if he's right about that you should get use to the discussions remaining ridiculous cause fanboys aren't going anywhere.

We can go back almost 10 years ago when there was X1 AC Unity bundle, for example. That bundle sold gangbusters in US. There wasn't a single discussion about how much percentage of total sales of ACUnity was from bundles. Maybe numbers were leaked back then, can't remember, but they didn't matter was Unity successful or not. This gen started....all went to hell about bundles. Now, the success of the game is now being watched as is it bundled or not

Bundles artificially inflating game sales is only relevant during supply constraints.

Nintendo wasn't bundling anything in 2017 when Switch was badly constrained for basically the year. During covid lockdowns the only bundle was the ACNH SE, which was even harder to get than the similarly supply constrained game itself.
This. The reason why people talk about Horizon 2 bundles is because back when Horizon 2 came out, the PS5 was extremely supply constrained and there was generally no other way to get the console but to buy the bundle. These weren't even official bundles, it was just retailers leveraging the extremely bad supply situation and increasing their own revenue. This in turn inflated Horizon 2 sales. It is what it is.

The difference with the PS5 bundles is that there are no more “free” games or added value to the system, the game is a cost added to the total value and more revenue to the manufacturer (Sony).

So the narrative went from “games were given for free” to “forced bundles” (which a lot were).

You could have said the above portion without throwing MK8 Deluxe into the conversation, thats the point. You want to call out people for concern trolling but then participate in platform wars when trying to throw MK8 under the bus. You completely confirmed your intentions with your previous post about keeping that same energy for MK8 everytime Nintendo updates its sales and the below post about not seeing this talk in MK8 threads. So how do you expect anyone to take your post serious when clearly you are just hurt over Horizon's mention of bundles and want to do the same to MK8? Now of course you don't say what you clearly feel about MK8 because you are smart enough to know the difference between selling 70 to 80 million with bundles and selling 20 million with bundles. One of these games has performed far better not to mention your 23% is likely inaccurate for MK8.

Just to be clear, I agree with you bundles getting thrown into every conversation can become "concerning" but I think we need to consider the context. Wii Sports for example was massively bundled, we also should consider it caused a mass hysteria leading to the Wii's insane popularity to begin with. I think we all agree it's sales were "inflated" but it would have certainly moved a colassel amount of units without the bundles, how much we don't know. That I completely agree with you. In Horizon's case Welfare has a point about PS5s being hard to come by, so people didn't have many choices. That is something to keep in mind when talking about its milestones, you simply won't see that talk in MK8 Deluxe's threads because the figure is just simply so high. MK8 Deluxe without bundles will sell between 50 to 60 million, that is nothing short of insane. Nintendo is also open about it's bundles, leaving no room for speculation.

@1st_horseman This bundles talk did not go to hell with this generation. We can probably go back to NES and Super Mario Bros but I can atleast personally remember this talk being used against Wii Sports. Wii Sports was far harder bundled and was definitley a topic of whether it should be the highest selling game or not if it pulled it off. It was a question of whether Wii Sports sold Wii or Wii sold Wii Sports. Horizon is just the latest victim but I do think the concerns are valid considering the PS5s previous circumstances.

Last edited:
For people that follow sales, bundles were always a factor. You have to contextualize the results.

In case of Horizon FW and GoW Ragnarok, all data sugests stellar standalone sales, but bundles played a part for the total, I don't know why some people seems to be upset about a simply fact.

Oh we got MW19 digital numbers. Didn't know that, do you have a link.
I found this on Era:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Retail: ~362.000
Digital: ~314.000
Total: ~676.000
So a ~46% digital ratio, a bit higher than I remembered. My guess is that its digital ratio dropped to 35% by the end of 2019, which would amount to ~1.83M retail + digital sold.

Also, it's worth noting that a bunch of publishers don't report Steam sales, including Activision and EA. Both FIFA 23 and MWII sales should be a bit higher than their reported figures - this matters for MWII since it is the first COD title in years to release on Steam where it performed very well.

@1st_horseman This bundles talk did not go to hell with this generation. We can probably go back to NES and Super Mario Bros but I can atleast personally remember this talk being used against Wii Sports. Wii Sports was far harder bundled and was definitley a topic of whether it should be the highest selling game or not if it pulled it off. It was a question of whether Wii Sports sold Wii or Wii sold Wii Sports. Horizon is just the latest victim but I do think the concerns are valid considering the PS5s previous circumstances.

We can go back to NES era, but it wasn't talk about it back then. I remember about Wii Sports that people were joking about it how it will become a best selling game ever ( like Astrobot now :)) . Nothing negative actually back then like it is happening now during this gen

For people that follow sales, bundles were always a factor. You have to contextualize the results.

In case of Horizon FW and GoW Ragnarok, all data sugests stellar standalone sales, but bundles played a part for the total, I don't know why some people seems to be upset about a simply fact.

Maybe because some people got the impression that some are trying to downplay the importance of a game that sold well because it was bundled with the console and survived because of that.

IMO, the biggest disappointment here is COD MW2. 2007-2010 next year sales (catalogue) were estimated using current yoy drop ratios, and 2018,19 COD digital was estimated using prior and next year digital ratios.

Screenshot-2023-03-07-at-15-03-27.png

• I thought MW2 would reach or even best MW19 heights. Insead MW19 may have outsold it in the region of 60%+
    • MW2 - 1.675M
    • MW19 - 2.65M (1.19M physical, estimated 50% digital (MW19 in 2020 had 60%+ digital))
  • And I do not see the legs for MW2 being nearly as strong as MW19, mainly due to player reception and more competition
  • COD Vanguard was the first time the series had a new entry do <1M since 2007 (from the data we have available at least), when the series first started to blow up.
  • On top of this COD Vanguard had a disastrous drop of 80% the next year, versus ~65% for MW19 or BOCW
  • Warzone is a reason but MW19 was at the height of Warzone and still sold incredibly well due to having a great campaign and traditional COD MP mode.
  • It could be a worrying situation for ATVI, as Vanguard could be representative of a non-MW/BO COD game from now on.
  • Big question is how representative this is of the US, COD's main market.
Warzone uptake is dramatic, the franchise is now fully on the road to f2p live service.

Some comparaisons:

CODUK.jpg

FIFAUK.jpg

SONYUK.jpg

These graphs show first year sales only.

- FIFA sales follow generations cycles
- GOW Ragnarock is the biggest Sony succes bellow Spider-Man 2018.
- GT 7 sold less than GT Sport (and GT Sport was released at the end of the year).
- Seams that COD will never reach it's peak again.

Evolution of FIFA digital split since FIFA 18:
(They are all actual numbers. I found the split for FIFA 19 and FIFA 20 on ERA website).

FIFA-SPLIT.jpg

GTSport explosive sales can be explained with the incredible price drops the game had soon after launch.

For example, it was 30€ a month after launch on PSN and even lower at retail.

I don't really follow the UK market but like, it's there any explanation as to why Ps5 sold way less units in 22 compared to 21? Wasn't it like the opposite in the US and Japan?
1.2 to 0.8 it's seems like a pretty big drop to me. Does anybody here know the number of units ps5 sold in 21 and 22 in the US?

Last edited:
As franchises like FIFA, COD and even GT shift more and more service oriented, direct FGS comparisons will be less and less valuable. FIFA already makes the vast majority of it's revenue from FUT.

I don't really follow the UK market but like, it's there any explanation as to why Ps5 sold way less units in 22 compared to 21? Wasn't it like the opposite in the US and Japan?
1.2 to 0.8 it's seems like a pretty big drop to me. Does anybody here know the number of units ps5 sold in 21 and 22 in the US?

EU got the short end of the stick when it came to stock last year. There was a 33% drop in UK and 35% in EU compared to 2021.

Excluding Nintendo, which alone represent 35.1% of the physical software sales but for which digital sales are unknown, the digital ratio in the Top 20 (well, Top 20 - 7) of 2022 is 59.2%.

Nintendo's physical sales-only: 2.183.414
Others' physical sales-only: 4.032.947
Others' digital sales-only: 5.860.782

Total software sales excluding Nintendo's digital sales: 12.077.143

Back
Top Bottom