• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles shipments reach 1.32 million [UPDATE: 3 million]

MysticGon

Enthusiast

As stated by CyberConnect2's CEO in the company's year end stream. The game has shipped 320,000 units since October 27 when it was announced shipments reached 1 million.

Last edited:
Seems as if the West saved it. It's pretty good for CC2, but I can't help but feel that they were lucky the game sold well in the West. They really fumbled the bag hard domestically.

Still, 1.32 million is 1.32 million. Congrats to them. :)

That's a really good achievement. Seems like it was a success in the west as well!

I knew this game would be a hit, regardless of the quality. And from what I understand, the game is better than it has any right to be.
I dont think thats true, it sold that well because its a great looking anime Fighter by CC2 - thats quality. You cant really go wrong with CC2 anime tie-ins as long as they are connected to a popular IP. The random 12yo fan watching a trailer of this probably thought this shit was among the best thing he ever seen in his life gaming wise, there is a lot of stuff people in online communities take for granted like the presentation of CC2 games but at the same time criticize them for stuff most people buying these games couldnt care less about.

Not talking about you but in general it sometimes feels like we think that everything that everything that isnt a GotY candidate or reviews very high with traditional gaming outlets lacks quality. Thats def. a part of the elitism in some gaming communities where a game getting 70-80 might as well have been cancelled mid-development and is regarded as not even a rent.

A good example of that are mainline Pokemon RPGs, with grown men going out of there way to mostly embarrass themselves with how they talk about the games, developer and accomplishments because the games arent BotW or TW3 quality titles.

I dont think thats true, it sold that well because its a great looking anime Fighter by CC2 - thats quality. You cant really go wrong with CC2 anime tie-ins as long as they are connected to a popular IP. The random 12yo fan watching a trailer of this probably thought this shit was among the best thing he ever seen in his life gaming wise, there is a lot of stuff people in online communities take for granted like the presentation of CC2 games but at the same time criticize them for stuff most people buying these games couldnt care less about.

Not talking about you but in general it sometimes feels like we think that everything that everything that isnt a GotY candidate or reviews very high with traditional gaming outlets lacks quality. Thats def. a part of the elitism in some gaming communities where a game getting 70-80 might as well have been cancelled mid-development and is regarded as not even a rent.

A good example of that are mainline Pokemon RPGs, with grown men going out of there way to mostly embarrass themselves with how they talk about the games, developer and accomplishments because the games arent BotW or TW3 quality titles.

Oh yeah, I agree with this. The perception of quality comes from our own individual biases, and is not necessarily representative of the public at large and/or the target audience of a particular product.

As was blatantly obvious with the One Punch Man and Kill La Kill fighting games, just because it's a popular anime IP does not at all mean the games will sell.

Congrats to the CC2 staff.

So Japanese shipments are under 25% of global sales, great result Globally but a massive missed opportunity in Japan

As was blatantly obvious with the One Punch Man and Kill La Kill fighting games, just because it's a popular anime IP does not at all mean the games will sell.

Congrats to the CC2 staff.
You are completely right but at the same time KnY is on a different level compared to stuff like OPM and Kill La Kill in terms of strength of the IP - especially if we just take the Snapshot of 20/21. Who knows how things will look a couple of years from now but in that recent period KnY was up there with the real anime mainstream big dogs.

With the way successful anime fighters tend to leg, if Demon Slayer gets a Switch port 3M LTD is pretty achievable depending on when a sequel is made.

The KLK fighting game came out 5 years after the anime originally ran. The DS fighting game came out right between the extremely popular movie and the premier of the second season. Even ignoring how much bigger DS is as an IP right now, I don't think it's fair to compare the two if we're talking about sales based upon hype for the anime.

West saving KnY is some funny thing to see. Great sales for the title. Still think a Switch version would help with sales in Japan, but it sold well regardless.

Switch version would have helped with sales everywhere.
Yeah, that's true, no disagreement here. It's just that KnY is such a big IP in Japan that the lackluster performance and lack of version for the market-leader there are quite glaring issues.

Why exactly are folks focusing so much on CC2 in regards to the performance of this game when it should matter "more" (not that it not matters to CC2) to the publishers involved, like Aniplex and Sega? I can't imagine most or any significant portion of the sales revenue goes to CC2 anyway, but I could be totally wrong.

900K after 6 months is fantastic. I posted earlier 3M would be possible with a Switch port and it's looking like it'll smash that.

There is also the next season of the anime to consider if there is additional expansion in 2023

The game's is likely to surpass 500K shipment + digital in Japan on the Switch this year alone

Looking at how other anime games have sold long term with eShop sales and a big audience for this type of titles WW result of over 5M will be hit in the next 12 months or so
The Switch SKU will likely end up 2M+

Both publishers & devs should be happy that they were able to get the Switch version out so quickly after missing such a big opportunity initially
No doubt the game would already be 4M+ with a Switch SKU at launch

Will the Switch version end up as the second best selling version or is it possible it will be the best selling version?

Will the Switch version end up as the second best selling version or is it possible it will be the best selling version?

Well, I was saying second place but the recently published NPD somehow changed my mind:

"The Switch launch of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba: The Hinokami Chronicles pushed the title to #14 on the all platforms best-selling titles chart in June, while also placing 10th on Nintendo Switch."

I think that for an anime game, this is a VERY GOOD result. Looking at how in Japan the Switch version is already the best selling one (launch aligned, but the trajectory points toward it even being able to surpass the PS4+PS5 numbers at the end of the lifecycle) I wonder if it will actually become THE best selling one ww too.

Well, I was saying second place but the recently published NPD somehow changed my mind:

"The Switch launch of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba: The Hinokami Chronicles pushed the title to #14 on the all platforms best-selling titles chart in June, while also placing 10th on Nintendo Switch."

I think that for an anime game, this is a VERY GOOD result. Looking at how in Japan the Switch version is already the best selling one (launch aligned, but the trajectory points toward it even being able to surpass the PS4+PS5 numbers at the end of the lifecycle) I wonder if it will actually become THE best selling one ww too.
But I thought that in the West PS/XB/PC did cover all audience? How that can happen ?

If you are going for a global audience not being on the best selling global system makes sense, don't know what you guys are complaining about xD

But yeah in terms of missed opportunities this one is a rare case, you only get a couple of these per generation because everything was lined up for KNY to be even bigger with a Switch release post the movie breaking records and while S2 of the anime was airing.

the west did save it. it's just that there was a lot more left on the table
I didn’t say it was a failure, just that it shows that there was a big portion of audience left by not releasing the game on Switch day 1 and that it isn’t a Japan only thing like some groups try to make it look like. Selling only 2.2M when right now it could even be close to 4M with Switch day 1 release it is really sad

3 million
Now at 3 million!

Tweet text:
おかげさまで300万本突破です。 世界中の皆さまありがとうございます!! 家庭用ゲーム『鬼滅の刃 ヒノカミ血風譚』 全世界累計出荷300万本突破!
Translated:
Thanks to you, we have exceeded 3 million. Thank you to everyone around the world! ! Home video game "Kimetsu no Yaiba Hinokami Kepputan" has shipped over 3 million units worldwide!

Edit: Here's an official tweet from the @kimetsuHinokami account as an alternative to the Matsuyama tweet.

Last edited:
Not bad!
In Japan it seemed the Switch version was set to match the PS4 one at retail; I wonder if it could be a million seller on Switch alone despite being a late port
Anyway, the Western legs of anime-games are pretty solid, for IPs like Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto...aren't they?

Not bad!
In Japan it seemed the Switch version was set to match the PS4 one at retail; I wonder if it could be a million seller on Switch alone despite being a late port
Anyway, the Western legs of anime-games are pretty solid, for IPs like Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto...aren't they?
do we even have an update on the sales for One Piece? World Seeker bombed, but I don't think we heard anything on Odyssey yet

I wonder what the revenue split looks like between Sony Music and Cyberconnect. I’m assuming gross revenue was about $100M for the title. It probably costed $10M to produce.
Sony Music probably get the lion's share as CC2 was probably a contractor

Back
Top Bottom