• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback

Given the user's post history across these communities it isn't surprising that he got perma'd. That the mods were actually slightly lenient with him is the surprising part to me.

Have to agree with the decision to permaban this particular member. Over all the communties I've seen them appear in, the same type of behaviour of condescension and name calling soon follows. Not for nothing that multiple boards decided to ban this person.

1: Is it possible to remove the anchor from the "The Library" link in the navigation bar?

2: Would it be possible to not (automatically) hide threads from ignored users?
Sometimes I miss threads I would be interested in because of the OP. When they are linked in other threads I can open them but I would need to either bookmark the most recent replies or remove the OP from my ignore list if I want to follow the thread.
("Show ignored content" would also display threads I manually put in my ignore list)

There's a bug no one has noticed.

The prefix selection where you filter threads by a specific tag, if you click on "Show all", it will use the wrong URL because it is missing the extra "forums/" in the URL where you see "forums/forums/" normally.

This isn't just in The Market, it's in every forum section including the Announcements and Dialogue and the Archive section.

There's a bug no one has noticed.

The prefix selection where you filter threads by a specific tag, if you click on "Show all", it will use the wrong URL because it is missing the extra "forums/" in the URL where you see "forums/forums/" normally.

This isn't just in The Market, it's in every forum section including the Announcements and Dialogue and the Archive section.
Thanks for raising, will fix when I can.

1: Is it possible to remove the anchor from the "The Library" link in the navigation bar?

2: Would it be possible to not (automatically) hide threads from ignored users?
Sometimes I miss threads I would be interested in because of the OP. When they are linked in other threads I can open them but I would need to either bookmark the most recent replies or remove the OP from my ignore list if I want to follow the thread.
("Show ignored content" would also display threads I manually put in my ignore list)
1. Yes, oversight from me, sorry.

2. `Ignored users` seems to be finicky but there's very little I can do. I will try and invest some time into seeing if this is possible or not.

Excuse me, but why can't I find the archive anymore? It used to be a subsection of the market section and now it's gone.

So I’ve noticed when some people double post, the posts will “automatically merge.” But I have double posted twice and that never happens. I just burden a mod instead.

Does it just not automatically merge sometimes?

So I’ve noticed when some people double post, the posts will “automatically merge.” But I have double posted twice and that never happens. I just burden a mod instead.

Does it just not automatically merge sometimes?
Double post will only merge before a certain time period. If you post after a period of time then it won't merge.

Roger that. But if I edit and I’m quoting someone new, will the new person I’m quoting get a notification still?

No, editing a post won't notify them.

As of monday, the user named BishopLamont has been permanently banned out of the forum with the following reasoning: "Aggressive approach to discussions, strawman arguments, several infractions in the last few months, repeated behaviour".

First of all, it should be clarified that while BishopLamont's first post on Install Base could appear to be on February 6th, 2024, the account has been active for long before then under the nickname of eternalsenia, who originally joined the forum on May 15th, 2022. This isn't a case of an alt account, but just the same account for which the user herself decided to apply for a nickname change; such change happened at the end of November 2023.

With that said, unfortunately the user in question didn't take too long to distinguish herself for her problematic behaviour, to the point of being sanctioned with a 7-days-long ban on August 15th, 2022 due to low-effort posting and the fact it was already the 3rd time she received a warning in 3 months since she joined the forum (her account was still in the Junior phase back then); the previous two warnings were for drive-by posting again but also for posting about conspirancy theories (more on that later).

After several months of relative calm, her behaviour came back to the attention of the moderation team in July of last year, when her aggressiveness towards others and disregard of moderation posts were culminated by her citing and defending Alt-Right racist talking points. That post, in conjunction with her previous warning history (it had been less than 12 months since her last infraction) led us to the decision of issuing a 2-months-long ban; a more intense version of the more typical 1-month-ban step that comes right before the permaban in the escalation ladder due to the racism.

Not long after the period of her ban lasted, she was involved in two new episodes of ad-hominem attacks against other users, the second of which led to her being sanctioned with a new ban, although still not a permanent one. This is also where the moderation team has started to talk with her thanks to the ticket appeal she opened to contest this ban, but unfortunately not much could be seen in terms of understanding her own mistakes and trying to improve; rather, insisting on the rightfulness of her actions and how she couldn't be wrong and her bans were "baseless".

And this leads us to her final two posts on Install Base, published pretty close to each other: this one, characterised by a clear console-warrish attitude and the one that was sanctioned with the permanent ban: once again, the same posting behaviour that she has showcased during most of her time on the forum.

In general, we've been very lenient with this user and we were hopeful she could change her behaviour for the better, and while people can improve as time goes by, unfortunately that wasn't her case and not even us trying to speak with her and to make her understand why she was warned or banned, no change has happened.

So, Bodokoh said: "It seems Ronin is dropping like a rock on amazon Japan while Peach is climbing to the top",
to which Lelouche0612 replied "I don't think putting another piece in the jukebox is desired nor smart."

I actually somewhat disagree in this case. While it is to an extent a "tit for tat" post, I think this should actually be viewed ALSO as an educational post, as in "see? you came to the wrong conclusion based on this data source, don't use this data source in this way again". Sure, that user has been previously told about that as well, but this has a much better chance at penetrating someone's head... Bottom line the positive outweighs the negative.

Glad to see that Tialo wasn't permabanned. That said, I took at a look at the banned users-list and noticed several familiar names. As someone who's had his own share of troubles with the "law", I always find it sad to see a user be gone that was active here for a longer time. Especially when the ban is the consequence of hitting the infraction limit over unnecessary stuff like console warring.

That's not meant as criticism against the mods here, I think IB has maybe the best moderation I've ever witnessed in a discussion forum. But maybe it's my personal feelings who think that permabans are, most of the time, too much. Like, if someone keeps acting up, just dish out another, longer ban. Eventually that user will either learn to behave to run into a reality that's not so different from a permaban.

So, if I were to enforce a ban-system, it'd be something like:

Infraction System as is
First ban: 3 days
Second ban: 1 week
Third ban: 2 weeks
Forth ban: 1 month
Fifth ban: 3 months
Sixth ban: 6 months
Seventh ban: 1 year
8th ban: 2 years
9th ban: 5 years
10th ban: 10 years

No more need for permabans, everyone knows what awaits for continued misbehavior. Well, that's just my spontaneous idea. Seeing names I used to see in active discussions on the ban list made me sad, that's all ^^

Glad to see that Tialo wasn't permabanned. That said, I took at a look at the banned users-list and noticed several familiar names. As someone who's had his own share of troubles with the "law", I always find it sad to see a user be gone that was active here for a longer time. Especially when the ban is the consequence of hitting the infraction limit over unnecessary stuff like console warring.

That's not meant as criticism against the mods here, I think IB has maybe the best moderation I've ever witnessed in a discussion forum. But maybe it's my personal feelings who think that permabans are, most of the time, too much. Like, if someone keeps acting up, just dish out another, longer ban. Eventually that user will either learn to behave to run into a reality that's not so different from a permaban.

Infraction System as is

No more need for permabans, everyone knows what awaits for continued misbehavior. Well, that's just my spontaneous idea. Seeing names I used to see in active discussions on the ban list made me sad, that's all ^^
You need to change 8th van to permaban

If you been banned for 3 months then 6 months and even a year that’s almost 2 year of not posting. Lol to 10 years. I can’t imagine someone waiting for that unban after 10 years 😂

You need to change 8th van to permaban

If you been banned for 3 months then 6 months and even a year that’s almost 2 year of not posting. Lol to 10 years. I can’t imagine someone waiting for that unban after 10 years 😂
I'd wait for you, tbone <3

Infraction System as is

Looking at some of the detailed permaban reports by the moderation team in this thread, it is pretty clear many of them never had any intention of ever changing their ways, with one(or more) actively publicly taunting the moderation team to ban them. This is without talking about the fact that many users were warned/thread banned multiple times even before their first proper ban for the same type of behaviour.

Being so lenient would encourage bad faith actors to consistently break the rule at the expense of other users.

Some people simply don't learn, they refuse to. Sometimes it's better to just not click on 'post reply'.

We are pretty lenient with people willing to learn but sadly some really don't want. They believe they are always right and can do no wrong.

So, Bodokoh said: "It seems Ronin is dropping like a rock on amazon Japan while Peach is climbing to the top",
to which Lelouche0612 replied "I don't think putting another piece in the jukebox is desired nor smart."

I actually somewhat disagree in this case. While it is to an extent a "tit for tat" post, I think this should actually be viewed ALSO as an educational post, as in "see? you came to the wrong conclusion based on this data source, don't use this data source in this way again". Sure, that user has been previously told about that as well, but this has a much better chance at penetrating someone's head... Bottom line the positive outweighs the negative.
It is also a question of timing in this case. There's no need to reopen the can of worm when things settled down imo.

Back
Top Bottom