• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback

Given the user's post history across these communities it isn't surprising that he got perma'd. That the mods were actually slightly lenient with him is the surprising part to me.

Have to agree with the decision to permaban this particular member. Over all the communties I've seen them appear in, the same type of behaviour of condescension and name calling soon follows. Not for nothing that multiple boards decided to ban this person.

1: Is it possible to remove the anchor from the "The Library" link in the navigation bar?

2: Would it be possible to not (automatically) hide threads from ignored users?
Sometimes I miss threads I would be interested in because of the OP. When they are linked in other threads I can open them but I would need to either bookmark the most recent replies or remove the OP from my ignore list if I want to follow the thread.
("Show ignored content" would also display threads I manually put in my ignore list)

There's a bug no one has noticed.

The prefix selection where you filter threads by a specific tag, if you click on "Show all", it will use the wrong URL because it is missing the extra "forums/" in the URL where you see "forums/forums/" normally.

This isn't just in The Market, it's in every forum section including the Announcements and Dialogue and the Archive section.

There's a bug no one has noticed.

The prefix selection where you filter threads by a specific tag, if you click on "Show all", it will use the wrong URL because it is missing the extra "forums/" in the URL where you see "forums/forums/" normally.

This isn't just in The Market, it's in every forum section including the Announcements and Dialogue and the Archive section.
Thanks for raising, will fix when I can.

1: Is it possible to remove the anchor from the "The Library" link in the navigation bar?

2: Would it be possible to not (automatically) hide threads from ignored users?
Sometimes I miss threads I would be interested in because of the OP. When they are linked in other threads I can open them but I would need to either bookmark the most recent replies or remove the OP from my ignore list if I want to follow the thread.
("Show ignored content" would also display threads I manually put in my ignore list)
1. Yes, oversight from me, sorry.

2. `Ignored users` seems to be finicky but there's very little I can do. I will try and invest some time into seeing if this is possible or not.

Excuse me, but why can't I find the archive anymore? It used to be a subsection of the market section and now it's gone.

So I’ve noticed when some people double post, the posts will “automatically merge.” But I have double posted twice and that never happens. I just burden a mod instead.

Does it just not automatically merge sometimes?

So I’ve noticed when some people double post, the posts will “automatically merge.” But I have double posted twice and that never happens. I just burden a mod instead.

Does it just not automatically merge sometimes?
Double post will only merge before a certain time period. If you post after a period of time then it won't merge.

Roger that. But if I edit and I’m quoting someone new, will the new person I’m quoting get a notification still?

No, editing a post won't notify them.

As of monday, the user named BishopLamont has been permanently banned out of the forum with the following reasoning: "Aggressive approach to discussions, strawman arguments, several infractions in the last few months, repeated behaviour".

First of all, it should be clarified that while BishopLamont's first post on Install Base could appear to be on February 6th, 2024, the account has been active for long before then under the nickname of eternalsenia, who originally joined the forum on May 15th, 2022. This isn't a case of an alt account, but just the same account for which the user herself decided to apply for a nickname change; such change happened at the end of November 2023.

With that said, unfortunately the user in question didn't take too long to distinguish herself for her problematic behaviour, to the point of being sanctioned with a 7-days-long ban on August 15th, 2022 due to low-effort posting and the fact it was already the 3rd time she received a warning in 3 months since she joined the forum (her account was still in the Junior phase back then); the previous two warnings were for drive-by posting again but also for posting about conspirancy theories (more on that later).

After several months of relative calm, her behaviour came back to the attention of the moderation team in July of last year, when her aggressiveness towards others and disregard of moderation posts were culminated by her citing and defending Alt-Right racist talking points. That post, in conjunction with her previous warning history (it had been less than 12 months since her last infraction) led us to the decision of issuing a 2-months-long ban; a more intense version of the more typical 1-month-ban step that comes right before the permaban in the escalation ladder due to the racism.

Not long after the period of her ban lasted, she was involved in two new episodes of ad-hominem attacks against other users, the second of which led to her being sanctioned with a new ban, although still not a permanent one. This is also where the moderation team has started to talk with her thanks to the ticket appeal she opened to contest this ban, but unfortunately not much could be seen in terms of understanding her own mistakes and trying to improve; rather, insisting on the rightfulness of her actions and how she couldn't be wrong and her bans were "baseless".

And this leads us to her final two posts on Install Base, published pretty close to each other: this one, characterised by a clear console-warrish attitude and the one that was sanctioned with the permanent ban: once again, the same posting behaviour that she has showcased during most of her time on the forum.

In general, we've been very lenient with this user and we were hopeful she could change her behaviour for the better, and while people can improve as time goes by, unfortunately that wasn't her case and not even us trying to speak with her and to make her understand why she was warned or banned, no change has happened.

So, Bodokoh said: "It seems Ronin is dropping like a rock on amazon Japan while Peach is climbing to the top",
to which Lelouche0612 replied "I don't think putting another piece in the jukebox is desired nor smart."

I actually somewhat disagree in this case. While it is to an extent a "tit for tat" post, I think this should actually be viewed ALSO as an educational post, as in "see? you came to the wrong conclusion based on this data source, don't use this data source in this way again". Sure, that user has been previously told about that as well, but this has a much better chance at penetrating someone's head... Bottom line the positive outweighs the negative.

Glad to see that Tialo wasn't permabanned. That said, I took at a look at the banned users-list and noticed several familiar names. As someone who's had his own share of troubles with the "law", I always find it sad to see a user be gone that was active here for a longer time. Especially when the ban is the consequence of hitting the infraction limit over unnecessary stuff like console warring.

That's not meant as criticism against the mods here, I think IB has maybe the best moderation I've ever witnessed in a discussion forum. But maybe it's my personal feelings who think that permabans are, most of the time, too much. Like, if someone keeps acting up, just dish out another, longer ban. Eventually that user will either learn to behave to run into a reality that's not so different from a permaban.

So, if I were to enforce a ban-system, it'd be something like:

Infraction System as is
First ban: 3 days
Second ban: 1 week
Third ban: 2 weeks
Forth ban: 1 month
Fifth ban: 3 months
Sixth ban: 6 months
Seventh ban: 1 year
8th ban: 2 years
9th ban: 5 years
10th ban: 10 years

No more need for permabans, everyone knows what awaits for continued misbehavior. Well, that's just my spontaneous idea. Seeing names I used to see in active discussions on the ban list made me sad, that's all ^^

Glad to see that Tialo wasn't permabanned. That said, I took at a look at the banned users-list and noticed several familiar names. As someone who's had his own share of troubles with the "law", I always find it sad to see a user be gone that was active here for a longer time. Especially when the ban is the consequence of hitting the infraction limit over unnecessary stuff like console warring.

That's not meant as criticism against the mods here, I think IB has maybe the best moderation I've ever witnessed in a discussion forum. But maybe it's my personal feelings who think that permabans are, most of the time, too much. Like, if someone keeps acting up, just dish out another, longer ban. Eventually that user will either learn to behave to run into a reality that's not so different from a permaban.

Infraction System as is

No more need for permabans, everyone knows what awaits for continued misbehavior. Well, that's just my spontaneous idea. Seeing names I used to see in active discussions on the ban list made me sad, that's all ^^
You need to change 8th van to permaban

If you been banned for 3 months then 6 months and even a year that’s almost 2 year of not posting. Lol to 10 years. I can’t imagine someone waiting for that unban after 10 years 😂

You need to change 8th van to permaban

If you been banned for 3 months then 6 months and even a year that’s almost 2 year of not posting. Lol to 10 years. I can’t imagine someone waiting for that unban after 10 years 😂
I'd wait for you, tbone <3

Infraction System as is

Looking at some of the detailed permaban reports by the moderation team in this thread, it is pretty clear many of them never had any intention of ever changing their ways, with one(or more) actively publicly taunting the moderation team to ban them. This is without talking about the fact that many users were warned/thread banned multiple times even before their first proper ban for the same type of behaviour.

Being so lenient would encourage bad faith actors to consistently break the rule at the expense of other users.

Some people simply don't learn, they refuse to. Sometimes it's better to just not click on 'post reply'.

We are pretty lenient with people willing to learn but sadly some really don't want. They believe they are always right and can do no wrong.

So, Bodokoh said: "It seems Ronin is dropping like a rock on amazon Japan while Peach is climbing to the top",
to which Lelouche0612 replied "I don't think putting another piece in the jukebox is desired nor smart."

I actually somewhat disagree in this case. While it is to an extent a "tit for tat" post, I think this should actually be viewed ALSO as an educational post, as in "see? you came to the wrong conclusion based on this data source, don't use this data source in this way again". Sure, that user has been previously told about that as well, but this has a much better chance at penetrating someone's head... Bottom line the positive outweighs the negative.
It is also a question of timing in this case. There's no need to reopen the can of worm when things settled down imo.

What happens on Twitter is not related to what happens here unless I'm missing something.

Because it is fundamentally a matter of online bullying, and it doesn't matter where it occurs. In function we are not some isolated environment, people can read this forum without being members. We frown on this antagonism towards outside sources generally and have told people to cut it off, that has been the guidelines for a while now.

If people wanna take the piss with each other here on mutual terms, we don't usually intervene unless it gets nasty or one-sided. But to just talk shit about a third party really doesn't come off as an action done in good faith and it's really no different from if you had done it in Twitter but there it is beyond our control.

The C-team joke is also run into the ground.

Ultimately, it's just asking people to be decent to each other. There's no real need to downplay the fact that this forum isn't innocent in acting poorly around Chris's posts. The C-Team stuff might not have been bad and generally seen as "an inside joke" but there's posters who took stuff way too far even here, takes that had no real value other than to shittalk because they perceived some bias.

Open every UK thread and you'll see his account in the OP.

This loss is tremendous, for what it means in terms of future UK data but also for archiving purposes too.

Because it is fundamentally a matter of online bullying, and it doesn't matter where it occurs. In function we are not some isolated environment, people can read this forum without being members. We frown on this antagonism towards outside sources generally and have told people to cut it off, that has been the guidelines for a while now.

If people wanna take the piss with each other here on mutual terms, we don't usually intervene unless it gets nasty or one-sided. But to just talk shit about a third party really doesn't come off as an action done in good faith and it's really no different from if you had done it in Twitter but there it is beyond our control.

The C-team joke is also run into the ground.

Ultimately, it's just asking people to be decent to each other. There's no real need to downplay the fact that this forum isn't innocent in acting poorly around Chris's posts. The C-Team stuff might not have been bad and generally seen as "an inside joke" but there's posters who took stuff way too far even here, takes that had no real value other than to shittalk because they perceived some bias.

Let me rephrase it:

are you accusing specific users here of cyberbullying? Yes or no?

Yes - discuss
No - it's entirely unrelated to the modding/policing of this forum

Do we also have any real proof the account was deleted from something that may have been tangentially related to the discussion here?

If the "C-team" inside joke is too much where do we draw the line in the future?

Niche barrier came from a user
Patcher is beyond meme

Just some example of similar memes.

It's important to remember that Mat Piscatella or Chris Dring read forums like a lot of peoples too. (If you don't agree just look at Mat Piscatella lattest tweets).

The point is not to said that the forum is responsible for anything that happened on Twitter (it's not).

However if we think that we are a better places that than others we have to do ours best to act in a way that show it.

Let me rephrase it:

are you accusing specific users here of cyberbullying? Yes or no?

Yes - discuss
No - it's entirely unrelated to the modding/policing of this forum

Do we also have any real proof the account was deleted from something that may have been tangentially related to the discussion here?

If the "C-team" inside joke is too much where do we draw the line in the future?

Niche barrier came from a user
Patcher is beyond meme

Just some example of similar memes.

We're not going to accuse anyone because, like I said, it'd be relitigating and going back to dredge up old posts of people being shitty isn't something I wanna do with my time. But I've had to, as have other mods, intervene in threads going complete off the rails in just accusing Chris for whatever opinion he might have aired or perceived to have aired. We never had any really depraved Twitter takes but I think we can generally look to set the bar higher than Twitter.

All that said, none of us are saying *we* directly caused Dring to retreat from social media but it's one of those potential situations where "a death by a thousand cuts" contributed. It is not unlikely that someone aligned with sales data and discussion could or would visit a forum like this and some threads would certainly not have been beneficial.

The C-Team joke is a weird one, in many cases it was a light jab which I would say is fine, but others definitely used it in a more sneering way which is less okay. We never really clamped down on the joke so in many ways we'd also be culpable if we deem it to have been inappropriate and if we end up changing the rules/guidelines on this in the future it will definitely be a case of egg on our face but I'd have to discuss this with the mod team in the future. We don't want to stamp out all humor and light humor is where I'd say its fine but its easy to run well past that line and just become mean spirited.

I don't see an issue with niche barrier, it's not even attributed to anyone at this point and is just a meme. I don't even know its origin or don't remember it anyway.

Patcher's a weird case (because he often makes lofty, exaggerated claims as part of his business) and I don't really have a great answer here in part because we've never actually had him make many statements recently or within the history of InstallBase. I don't think I'd have much of an answer here that wouldn't sound like excuses!

We could extrapolate this discussion to complete non-person entities like game studios which are still made up of people and ask if we should be more heavy handed with people just shit-flinging at them as well, but that's a completely different can of wurms.

We may want to move this to Community discussion though. You can also feel free to PM me to discuss further if you'd prefer that way, there's definitely a merit point of discussing how we approach this in the future.

I will say that I have been disheartened by some of the takes about Chris on the forum, especially considering those were fresh responses about him removing himself from online discourse.

The man leaves a platform where he shares his thoughts and valuable extra information that he doesn't have to share and the first thing I see here are(paraphrasing here): Yeah that checks out, but also he kinda deserved it because he said things.

I get that this is a sales forum and it's all about numbers and people are more concerned about accuracy than most internet places(somebody is wrong on the internet.jpeg) but let us not lose focus of the human element here.

Also for those who think that Installbase has done no harm or contributed nothing to the overall negative feelings some analyst(s) might have, well...

I think this is the tweet that @Astral_lion02 was referring to, and I felt like it was important to link to it because sometime people have difficulty conceptualizing what somebody might read on any given day on the internet.
Especially when it comes to talking game sales/success.

Obviously, IB doesn't allow this type of language, but I think we can do foster an even better environment with less unnecessary friction, especially when it pertains to talking about people outside of this forum.
The tweet also highlights the fact that analysts might very well read IB, because that particular forum is even smaller than ours and not sales related and he's aware of things that were said just recently.

I don't know if the forum needs to take a new stance or anything and I don't know the right nuanced approach.

But I will say that I was once made aware that one of my post had been reported by a staff member.
The post was simply an reaction image to a previous funny post. Obviously the user who reported me felt it was inappropriate in some way. Why do I mention this? Because in retrospect, even if the image was inoffensive, it offered no new insight and was overall a low quality post.

I view the C-team memes and all the other snide one liner drive by posts in the same way.
Do they serve any purpose other than some kind of weird community building exercise against an outside source?
I don't think so.

I think asking people to refrain from posting things of that nature should not be too much to ask.

Last edited:
I'm not going to ask the mods to relitigate past posters behvaiour towards people who share sales insights. What I will say is I think yall are way too lenient about this and after the 5th time of telling people to stop bitching about Dring's opinions here, you should have started handing out bans.

I'm not a person who like heavy handed modding (I don't think I've ever used the report button on here or really the last 2 sites before here) but that shit was insufferable and it also was rude and not even productive to sales discussion. Typing on a forum and I quote "I don't respect Chris Dring's opinikn since he posted his Mario Wonder insights" is honestly wack as fuck. As though someone being wrong about something (whethet insistent or otherwise) justifies the constant amount we would hear about people not liking his opinions.

If people had their opinions tore apart when they are wrong the way they took aim at Chris (and as repeatedly) yall would not enjoy browsing this site. No one here is held to their Ls when they are seriously wrong, that's good. I dislike that posters here sometimes lack that grace to public figures.

And no, who gives a fuck if it is worse on Twitter. Twitter is a cesspool. That's not the bar we should be aiming for.

Id argue that the tools are already available to try and deal with this. X is a unique and great tool to use, no doubt. But we need to start treating it like what it is: another site.

And we don't allow cross site drama. If someone posts objective news from a Famiboards/Reseteta/etc. link, we don't comment on secondary subjective posts/content of that link. To do otherwise is off topic and creates tribal moralizing. (Plus, it's a bit lame to respond to people who cannot reply back.)

So let's start treating X posts as such. If people actually want to respond to the main objective content which was the reason for posting it (here's Mario sales!), then great. If they want to argue over subjective secondary issues (I think it's C team!), then that's a big no go.

If you post your opinion in public about something people will comment on it in public spaces as well.
This kind of safe space doesnt exists and IB or whatever board isnt a hive mind - people usually read something and if it affects them for whatever reason they comment on it.
In the end people here were trying to shot down even the most harmless comments based on what Chris was providing, just because they were immediately assuming the worst from each other or feared where the discussion might end. So something was done in that regard from members here.

Dont understand why all of us should be punished just because certain people on other socials cant control themselves. At least around here people would get reminded quickly to get back to the topic/numbers and not focus on the person.

Though to be fair i havent followed all of his social media moves since i dont use X nowadays and mostly only commented on the articles and tweets posted here. I hope the can recover from what ever he has been going though and maybe can find a way to still provide information, while protecting his well being.

PS. I also dont think bringing up the Mario Wonder discussion for 10th time is helping discussing this. I assume the problem was actual harassment and people going crazy on a person for a statement they might have made weeks or maybe months ago. Not just posting that you dont rock with opinion A because of B.

This whole issue has already gone too far and feels completely off topic as if this forum should have some kind of responsibility for someone deleting his Twitter account.

I'm not going to ask the mods to relitigate past posters behvaiour towards people who share sales insights. What I will say is I think yall are way too lenient about this and after the 5th time of telling people to stop bitching about Dring's opinions here, you should have started handing out bans.

On this particular point, I do find it a bit odd that the same users can be asked to stop "Dring posting" over time during the course of multiple threads.
Like... If staff have to tell people to knock if off, it means they don't want you to do that.
Don't do it again a few months down the line either in another thread as well, that should be obvious.

Id argue that the tools are already available to try and deal with this. X is a unique and great tool to use, no doubt. But we need to start treating it like what it is: another site.

And we don't allow cross site drama. If someone posts objective news from a Famiboards/Reseteta/etc. link, we don't comment on secondary subjective posts/content of that link. To do otherwise is off topic and creates tribal moralizing. (Plus, it's a bit lame to respond to people who cannot reply back.)

So let's start treating X posts as such. If people actually want to respond to the main objective content which was the reason for posting it (here's Mario sales!), then great. If they want to argue over subjective secondary issues (I think it's C team!), then that's a big no go.

I think your cross site drama argument makes a lot of sense if they're not directly relevant to the current thread/discussion.

In the end people here were trying to shot down even the most harmless comments based on what Chris was providing, just because they were immediately assuming the worst from each other or feared where the discussion might end. So something was done in that regard from members here.

Dont understand why all of us should be punished just because certain people on other socials cant control themselves. At least around here people would get reminded quickly to get back to the topic/numbers and not focus on the person.

Those "harmless" comments are the same recycled memes and one liners that provide nothing to the conversation on any given thread. They should be curtailed, not because IB posts are to blame for the final outcome in this particular scenario, but because they're kind of lame and because they derail threads and prevent otherwise constructive discussion about why those sales report threads were made in the first place.

Those "harmless" comments are the same recycled memes and one liners that provide nothing to the conversation on any given thread. They should be curtailed, not because IB posts are to blame for the final outcome in this particular scenario, but because they're kind of lame and because they derail threads and prevent otherwise constructive discussion about why those sales report threads were made in the first place.
We are not talking about the same kind of comments then. I'm actually talking about legit opinions of users based on the articles or tweets he wrote. We are not just gonna put all users that commented on his articles in the same box and label them as problematic.

The team was stepping in when things were moving in the wrong direction. Anything else isn't realistic because that's just now how public discourse works.

You are just assuming that all these posts were one liners that, provided nothing to the discussion ? I disagree.

This whole issue has already gone too far and feels completely off topic as if this forum should have some kind of responsibility for someone deleting his Twitter account.
I agree. This matter should be left on Twitter and should not be blamed on the people here as a whole.

Chris Dring has posted on Twitter again:
rkNUS17.png

Link to thread

Still glad we're having the conversation about this in the thread. It helps the mod team a lot.

Least deranged IconEra user.

I'm glad Chris is back. I think a good way to deal with the trolls is to just block them relentlessly. At some point there won't be anyone left to leave bad comments.
The trolls will alsways see that as some sort of win (I saw one case of this with ZhugeEX just recently) but hoenstly it's really the best action to ensure piece of mind, yeah. Just don't give them any light of day, really. Let them think whatever they want, at the end of the day, you don't need to waste any more time on them.

I would like to ask if it ok to demand a coup and ask for a dictatorship in IB, while spreading fake news against a democratic government and a whole country. Re; unattended moderation request in the lastest Spain weekly charts.

I would like to ask if it ok to demand a coup and ask for a dictatorship in IB, while spreading fake news against a democratic government and a whole country. Re; unattended moderation request in the lastest Spain weekly charts.

We're going to take action, it's just happened at a weird timezone overlap period for us.

First of all, we're very thankful for your original report since it did offer a bit more information on what was wrong with the post. However, our general advice is to use the ticket system to get a direct communication line with the moderation for questions about a report and such, rather than posting in the community thread.

Now, on the case of the situation highlighted by your report: as already stated by Vena, timezone shenanigans have prevented us from taking action against the reported user sooner, but that wasn't the only reason. In fact, while we're grateful for the little bit of insight you provided, we've also tried to get even further insight on our own by asking to others with a better knowledge of the situation to understand what we were actually reading, since no one of the moderation team is from Spain / follows the sociopolitical scene of the country that closely.

In any case, me and the other members of the moderation team apologise for not being able to take action as fast as we could've.

Also let it be said we are looking for feedback here.
I am late to the party, but this is a topic that's never out of date.

People who use Twitter (or X in short) must know how it works and that should go doubly so for people who post about video game consoles. Anyone who has a thin skin should quit before they start.

What gets posted on IB is at best child's play in comparison to whatever goes up on X, so there should be no general worries that IB could cause a third party to quit X. Neither should there be worries that posts on here can hit the lows of what gets posted on X on a regular basis. There's no need for measures in addition to the rules that are already in place here, because the moderators usually step in quickly to begin with whenever a thread is in danger of getting derailed by bickering and low effort posts.

Having the benefit of hindsight here, it's all the easier for me to say what I would have said anyway, because it turned out that Dring returned to X not too long after.

Popular public figures have to live with being called out for being wrong more often than people who fly under the radar, that's just how it is. It's not reasonable to expect to be popular and loved by everyone - especially when someone posts about a subject with fundamental rivalries such as sports or video game consoles. Neither is it reasonable that the IB moderator team must offer a special level of protection for people who do not even have an account on IB.

Much ado about (almost) nothing.

I do think that fanboy dogpiling on reporters, industry insiders, sales folk, and the like should be an actionable offense

Dring, Mochizuki, Piscatella, Schreier, whoever

If it's about warning someone away from a person who has harmful views, sure, fine, fair play

But the reflexive "Oh well a Mochizuki report, I'll dismiss this out of hand because he hates [company]" is the exact kind of content-less wagon-circling that's being talked about earlier on this page. It's not that I think the words will affect anyone directly, but that it's a form of conversation that shouldn't be welcome here

Back
Top Bottom