• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Case Study: Unicorn Overlord Sales - Physical Standard Edition, Amazon, US, Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomengine

Student
Screenshot-2024-03-08-143918.png

Xbox being outsold 10:1 by Playstation
Playstation being outside 4:1 by Nintendo

Factors at play:
  • Physical edition
  • Japanese-developed game being sold in America
  • Amazon-only
  • Full price
  • Simultaneous launch
  • Nintendo Switch has a much larger install base than PS5 or Xbox Series X/S
Thoughts:
  • Are the HD twins in trouble if they get outsold 4:1 with simultaneous releases?
  • The game is pretty, but not super graphics intensive. However, if consumers buy more games on Switch for the same game across the platforms - over time that will make the HD twins niche players on only the high fidelity releases, which are costing more and releasing less often.

Not in trouble in general, we know that the player base of games such as Unicorn Overlord are more numerous on Nintendo's ecosystem than it is on PS and Xbox. Nintendo ecosystem has less obsession with AAA games and graphical fidelity, and like anime artstyle games more in general. There is a reason why games like Octopath Traveller primarily targets the Switch. I would have been suprised if Unicorn Overlord Switch sales didn't dominate when it comes to this kind of game.

Nintendo ecosystem has less obsession with AAA games and graphical fidelity,
I wonder about this. When was the last time we had a AAA game actually launch simultaneously on switch?

How would hogwarts sales have gone if it was day 1?

I wonder about this. When was the last time we had a AAA game actually launch simultaneously on switch?

How would hogwarts sales have gone if it was day 1?
My point is that a larger percentage of people who use Switch are fans of games in the style of Octopath Traveller and Unicorn Overlord than people who use Xbox and Playstation are. That is an audience Nintendo has had a policy of catering to for many years. An anime style smaller budget JRPG doesn't exactly have a lot of audience on the Xbox.

We have an Amazon thread for all regions to discuss the sales and trends of all items. Threads like these don't offer much discussion value as it is based on one retailer which has a small bit not insignificant market share in a physical marketplace that the "HD twins" are moving away from. Spotlighting a sales disparity at Amazon in the past has not lead to fruitful comparisons that shake out in the national totals.

Go here to discuss Amazon sales: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...es-tracker-us-and-international-markets.1467/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom