• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Capcom Q3 FY3/2022 Financial Results

MarcoP90

Pronouns
He/Him

Capcom Co., Ltd. today announced that in its consolidated business results for the nine months ended December 31, 2021, net sales were 88,163 million (up 35.9% year-over-year). Operating income was 35,096 million yen (up 43.9% year-over-year), and ordinary income was 36,148 million yen (up 50.1% year-over-year). Net income attributable to owners of the parent was 26,708 million yen (up 52.4% year-over-year).

During the nine months, Capcom’s core Digital Contents business drove up revenues with solid digital sales growth for new releases Resident Evil Village and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin as well as for catalog titles, leading sales volume for home video game software to exceed 25.8 million units (up 30.3% year-over-year). Capcom also made efforts to steadily increase earnings through leveraging its major brands in films, licensed products and in esports, as well as in its Arcade Operations and Amusement Equipments businesses. As a result, Capcom achieved its highest net sales as well as highest levels of all profit items for the end of a third quarter in company history.

The forecast for the consolidated business results for the current fiscal year ending March 31, 2022 remains the same as what was projected at the financial results announcement on May 10, 2021.

220126a.png

220126b.png

A few slides from the presentation

Unit sales / plans for the 9 months (Consumers)

Hf4dGna.png

Comparison with unit sales / plans for the 6 months (Consumer)

pdf_9.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sources

Financial Results - https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2021/3rd/result_2021_3rd_01.pdf
Financial Results Presentation - https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2021/3rd/explanation_2021_3rd_01.pdf

Was looking for this thread. Thanks for your hard work Marco!

As for Capcom, very strong results. I can't say this enough: For a company that was in a dire situation 6 years ago, the rebound is insane. Once again, Capcom titles legs/backcatalogue sales are very impressive! It's nice to see RE Village still selling quite well and same can be said towards MHR and Stories 2.

Edit: What does Capcom counts as new SKU? They sure as hell didn't release 24 new SKUs this quarter.

Digital is king. No matter how you slice it. Interesting that digital dropped a massive 12 percentage points for 2021/9 (digital tends to trend upward, it's where things are going), but their 2023/Plan has them jumping that right up to the highest it's ever been.

I know it's always on sale, but REVII's performance is truly amazing.

What are they launching this year to boost projected sales like that? Is it just the effect of catalogue sales + rise pc? IIRC World 2 was leaked for 2023

Digital is king. No matter how you slice it. Interesting that digital dropped a massive 12 percentage points for 2021/9 (digital tends to trend upward, it's where things are going), but their 2023/Plan has them jumping that right up to the highest it's ever been.
That's most likely boxed MH Rise

vsiKj5h.png

Monster Hunter Rise is conspicuously absent when they talk about games that saw continued long-tailed sales through the year, which makes sense. Rise doesn't seem to have exhibited much growth this past quarter, and this is probably an acknowledgement of that.

(Obviously, it goes without saying that the game is still an incredible success all around.)

Hopefully, Sunbreak receives much better and more timely post-launch support than Rise did. I stand by my belief that the ceiling for Rise could have been a fair bit higher with a better planned rollout of content.

Looking forward to the Platinum page update (god I wish other publishers had that).
The investors document isn't too interesting this quarter (the slides, not the numbers).

Monster Hunter Rise is conspicuously absent when they talk about games that saw continued long-tailed sales through the year, which makes sense. Rise doesn't seem to have exhibited much growth this past quarter, and this is probably an acknowledgement of that.
They're only mentioning games released this fiscal year and RE7 because it hit a very special milestone. There's nothing to read into that when MH Stories 2 is mentioned.

Was looking for this thread. Thanks for your hard work Marco!

As for Capcom, very strong results. I can't say this enough: For a company that was in a dire situation 6 years ago, the rebound is insane. Once again, Capcom titles legs/backcatalogue sales are very impressive! It's nice to see RE Village still selling quite well and same can be said towards MHR and Stories 2.

Edit: What does Capcom counts as new SKU? They sure as hell didn't release 24 new SKUs this quarter.
Yea , First of all , in the Q&A of previous Quarter , they said they wont release any titles until march but Monster Hunter Rise PC in January and they said that port is counted as a catalogue title , and Secondly ,

pdf_9.png

their previous Quarter report had the released SKUs at 13 and the Final Planned SKUS at end of FY at 13 , but the Final Planned SKUs is 24 here so there is a change happened and it is possible they changed their mind and will release something in the next two months probably a Remaster/Collection/Next Gen Port that either was greenlit very lately or it got pushed to release earlier than planned , or it could be Verse

Also

pdf_9.png

Number of released SKUs jumped from 13 to 19 despite not releasing literally anything in Q3 , the difference of 6 makes me suspicious they werent counting Ghosts and Goblins and Capcom Arcade Stadium PC/PS4/X1 ports , but now they did as both games Ports SKU number would be 6

Difference in SKUs between Q3 and Q4 is 5 SKUs , if MH Rise PC would be counted like GnG and CAS possibly , then it will be 4 SKUs left

Regarding Point 3 in " Digital content business " , I wonder if Q4 2022-Q1 2023 will be overstacked , there is potential to have Street Fighter 6/Dragon Dogma 2/Pragmata/Resident Evil Remake4 to release close to each other and Nvidia leak earliest release date showed that , There is a chance Capcom will space them throughout 2023 , but I wonder if they will be stacked in a range of 6 months

Eager to see the Platinum Chart update.
When does that usually happen? Based on the timing of the last quarter, it's around 1 week after the financial results, yes?
Honestly, congrats to Capcom, they made a roaring comeback these past few years.
One could certainly get the impression that Capcom internalized all the badmouthing Inafune was doing of the Japanese game industry during his time there and took time to bounce back while Monster Hunter reliably kept making them money.

When does that usually happen? Based on the timing of the last quarter, it's around 1 week after the financial results, yes?

One could certainly get the impression that Capcom internalized all the badmouthing Inafune was doing of the Japanese game industry during his time there and took time to bounce back while Monster Hunter reliably kept making them money.

I'd also say it's just a matter of them taking some time to rollback at lot of Inafking's ill-conceived ideas from the PS360 era. All of that western focus, all of that outsourcing, and all of those efforts to try and become some sort "Japanese EA" only bit Capcom in the ass hard, even more than the various PR scandals of the day did.

Once Capcom really started hitting their stride again, with the likes of RE7 and MHW leading the way, it was becoming much more apparent that the company had regained their focus and getting back to where they should be. Restructuring the fighting game development so that it's under the same leadership as Monster Hunter (and also dismissing Ono) were also moves that I think were wholly necessary. It even is looking good for mid-tier franchises like Mega Man.

And I couldn't be happier, as a long time fan.

So, littler over 75% on average of all sales are digital over the years. Still huge despite 9% drop.

Back
Top Bottom