• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Capcom output strategy | Discussion thread.

Ryuichi Naruhodo

Disciple
Inspired by the excellent threads of @Abzeronow and @Phantom Thief , I decided to do the Capcom Version of it

First as a Refresher , I will list the games that will release this Fiscal Year , along with announced games and leaked games

FY2022/2023

- Q1

Capcom Fighting Collection (NSW/PC/PS4/PS5/X1/XS)

- Q2
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 1/2/3 New Mobile Version (AND/IOS)

- Coming FY2022/2023 with No release window

Resident Evil 2/3/7 Next Gen Upgrade (PC/PS5/XS)
Resident Evil Verse ( PC/PS4/X1 Until now )
Resident Evil Village DLC ( Supposedly PC/PS4/PS5/X1/XS)
Capcom 2nd Arcade Stadium ( NSW/PC/PS4/X1 )

FY2023/2024

- Coming 2023 with No release window

Exoprimal ( No Platforms announced )
Pragmata ( No Platforms announced )

Announced with No Release Year

Street Fighter 6 ( No Platforms announced )

Leaked Games ( not all of them are 100% confirmed to release , some might got cancelled , Also For the Capcom Files leak Most of the dates are totally outdated by now )

- MH Stories 2 (Q1 FY21/22) ( Released )
- DGS 12 (Q1 FY21/22) ( Released )
- SHIELD (Q3 FY21/22) ( Probably Exoprimal )
- RESIDENT EVIL OUTRAGE (Q4 FY21/22) ( Reportedly Cancelled )
- REGOLITH (Q4 FY21/22) ( Pragmata )
- "Indies 2" (Q1 FY22/23)
- "Indies 2 port" (Q2 FY22/23)
- Dragon's Dogma 2 (Q2 FY22/23)
- STREET FIGHTER 6 (Q3 FY22/23) ( Announced )
- ROCKMAN MATCH (Q3 FY22/23)
- RESIDENT EVIL 4 REMAKE (Q4 FY22/23)
- ONIMUSHA NEW WORK (Q4 FY22/23)
- MH NS G (Q4 FY22/23)
- SHIELD G (Q4 FY22/23)
- Monster Hunter 6 (Q2 FY23/24)
- BIOHAZARD APOCALYPSE (Q3 FY23/24)
- CAPTAIN COMMANDO (Q4 FY23/24)
- SSF6 (Q4 FY23/24)
- NEW C (Q1 FY24/25)
- FINAL FIGHT REMAKE (Q2 FY24/25)
- POWER STONE REMAKE (Q3 FY24/25)
- NEW B (Q4 FY24/25)
- Ultra SF6 (Q4 FY24/25)
- Resident Evil Hank (Q4 FY24/25)

2023-01-01 Dragon's Dogma 2
2022-11-01 Mega Man Match
2023-07-01 Monster Hunter 6
2022-01-01 Monster Hunter Rise ( Released )
2023-01-01 Pragmata
2022-11-01 Resident Evil 4 Remake
2022-03-01 Resident Evil Outbreak ( Probably Outrage , Reportedly cancelled )
2023-01-01 Street Fighter 6

Now that we made a refresher of all kinds of upcoming releases , I will talk about Output of Capcom IPs , Capcom release pattern , Their strategy with Platforms owners

Output of Capcom IPs ( Might Contain leak infos )

- Resident Evil

It had two mainline titles ( RE7 and RE8 ) , two remakes ( RE2 and RE3 ) , one Side Game ( Revelations 2 ) , Two Multiplayer Focused games and one upcoming ( Umbrella Corps , Resistance and Verse ) , Upcoming Releases RE8 DLC which was very briefly announced last summer and got Zero info about it and RE Verse which is in a delayed state since May 2021 , Leaks and reports points to Resident Evil 4 Remake being the next title to release for the series , Resident evil Outrage was supposed to come out Q1 2022 , but of course as of now then the project is either cancelled like reports claims or it got delayed , Resident Evil Apocalypse ( probably RE9 ) from its leaked budget and projected sales seems to be a Big project , There is also Next Gen version of RE2/3/7

The IP is in a healthy state right now , With two lines of Products that sells similar to each other ( Mainline and Remakes ) , However There is a max of how they can Squeeze the remakes line , After RE4 , the only game that desperately needs a remake technically wise and ease of purchase wise is Code Veronica ( even more than RE4 ) , However remaking games like RE1 or RE0 would still be okay and make way more sense than RE5 or RE6 , the Side series took a step back in favor of Remake games , Last side game we got was Revelations 2 which took place between RE5 and RE6 , There is a room for a Revelations 3 and 4 that takes places between RE6 and RE7 , RE7 and RE8 especially that REV2 ended in a big cliffhanger

- Monster Hunter

It had three Mainline Releases recently ( Monster Hunter XX , Monster Hunter World and Monster hunter Rise ) , One Spin-Off title ( Monster Hunter Stories 2 ) , Upcoming Releases are Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak which will be released in Next Summer , In Leaks there is a mention of only one Monster Hunter Game which is Monster Hunter 6 , It will be interesting to see the platforms this game will release

The IP that keeps giving Golden Eggs for over a decade right now and Based on Capcom Words on the PC Release of Rise , It seems Capcom is experimenting right now to get the best benefits of Both MHW Success and Rise success , Whether to Keep the two lines format , or merge the two lines into one , And I think Nintendo next generation console will be a Wild card in this If MH6 will release after its launch of it , The Stories series did over Capcom's expectations so I think we will see new entries for it , and maybe that will encourage Capcom to use the IP in a new genre and see the results

- Street Fighter

As usual , only one Base title released in the past Generation which is Street Fighter V , with Two expansions released for it later down the generation which are Arcade Edition and Champions Edition , it was obvious Capcom was in a hurry releasing the base game at its state , probably taking advantage of the Sony Exclusivity Money , and Of course that reflected on sales being not good in the first years of its release , but Improvements and content being added gradually it it improved the pace of sales for it , Capcom announced Street fighter 6 with polarizing results for the few seconds of its reveal teaser , mainly due to the logo change which might be indication of the Game's overall direction , and the change of the artstyle , No Release date or platforms announced yet but Capcom stated more info will be revealed in Summer , The Series also celebrates its 35th anniversary this year so we may get more content related to SF announced

- Devil May Cry

After the Reboot of Devil May Cry that was released in 2013 and developed by Ninja Theory , only one game got released after it which is Devil May Cry V that had surpassed 5M copies as of days ago in a great result for the IP History , The game is also the first game for Capcom to release a Next Gen port , The Future of the Series is unknown , Leak didn't mention a new entry in the Series , The Series main director is probably busy with Dragon Dogma 2 , The Series isn't known to have Side games between main entries , One approach Capcom can make is to remake the old games , but there isn't a sign this is the approach Capcom will make

- Megaman

The Series 35th anniversary is This year , we still didn't get any announcement for new content for the series but Most probably Capcom still didnt show its hands yet for the Series anniversary , Leaks also mention a game Called Rockman Match to release this year , Megaman 11 was revealed in a Megaman anniversary Stream , so there is a chance a new game for the series to be announced in the same fashion

- Ace Attorney

After Spirit of Justice Release , Capcom Released the Localization of Great Ace Attorney 1 and 2 and in a Multiplatform Release and surpassed 500K recently , Also Ace Attorney 1/2/3 Turnabout Collection that was released for NSW/PC/PS4/X1 has surpassed 1M copies recently in a first for the series , There is the annual Ace Attorney Concert to take place this month , which might be a place to announce a new content for the series , Candidates might be Ace Attorney 7 which was mentioned in leaks , or an Ace Attorney 4/5/6 Multiplatform collection , especially that capcom recently trademarked Apollo Justice in Japan ( the 4th Game was simply Called Ace Attorney 4 )

- Dead Rising

Despite being menitoned always in Capcom Fiscal Reports as one of Capcom's main IPs , but the future of the IP is totally unknown , Last game in the series was Dead Rising 4 in 2016 to not so good Sales and Reception , The Series main developer which is Capcom Vancouver is no more , which makes things more complicated to revive it

- Dragon Dogma

The Game got its good share of ports to every modern platform to a good results , Dragon Dogma 2 is mentioned in the leaks and will be interesting to see if it will be revealed soon or it had its lengthy delay

- New IPs

Before Exoprimal and Pragmata , Capcom was lacking in New IPs , mostly due to making it safe in their conditions at that time , IIRC the New IPs in about 10 years from 2011 to 2021 were Troopers EX , Dragon Dogma and Remember Me on the console side and Toraware no Palm and Shinsekai on the Mobile side that got ported to consoles , but the stable condition that Capcom got in late 201X's made them go more into the New IPs approach and that resulted in two new IPs being announced recently which are Pragmata and Exoprimal

Capcom Release Pattern

- Capcom usually releases their big games in the last quarter of the fiscal year which is Jan-Mar of the year , Their second favorite release window is around summer between June to September which they usually release their non-Big hitter games and Spin offs , They avoid competing in the busy holiday season for over a decade now , and with the exception of last year due to COVID delays then also Quarter 1 of the fiscal year which is around April-May they dont release much games in that period

- Capcom usual marketing cycle is 6-8 months between announcement and Release unless there are Platform deals involved

- For their Single Player Games especially Resident Evil , Capcom started to favor releasing Annual/Semi-annual Single Player Games with minimal Post-launch support rather than releasing a game once every few years with more Post Launch support

Strategy With Platform Owners

Microsoft

- With the Exception of Dead rising IP , MS isnt a frequent partner with Capcom regarding Temporary Exclusives , Their last marketing Partnership was in Devil May Cry V , which surprised Everyone who thought that it will be in Sony Hands , Capcom was frequent in making their games joining Gamepass , but recently the amount of Capcom games joining Gamepass had decreased by a good amount , Could be for strategic reasons or Contracts with other Platforms like Sony

Nintendo

- While Capcom was a Good supporter for Nintendo consoles historically , but Capcom didn't initially release much new Content to the Nintendo Switch , Mostly were Ports or Collections , Capcom brought up the Whole Mainline and Revelations RE Series to Switch minus RE2/3/7 , Brought over Devil May Cry 1/2/3 and Games like Dragon Dogma and Onimusha , Monster Hunter Rise was the First Big new game for Capcom released on Switch and the First Big game built on RE Engine , Capcom had two temporary exclusives releases for Nintendo Switch which are Capcom Arcade Stadium and Ghosts and Goblins Resurrections , There has been Rumors here and there about a RE game made for Switch but we didnt see anything about it until now , Will be interesting to see Capcom support on Next Gen Nintendo console

Sony

- Capcom seems to partner a lot with Sony lately , They had a big role in marketing Resident Evil 2 , 3 and 7 and Village and 7 specially due to it having PSVR , Also had Big role marketing Monster Hunter World , Also Pragmata and Exoprimal were shown in Sony Shows , There is no Temp exclusivity since Street fighter 5 and Umbrella Corps days , but it is clear Capcom is too close to Sony than any other Platform Owner , This is just me theorizing here , but Capcom sudden disappearance from Gamepass may have to do with Sony contracts with them

PC General

Capcom aims to grow more in the PC Market and they revealed that one of their aims is to make PC have 50% of its sales annually , which is one part of their plan to grow the overall percentage of Digital sales in their overall sales , Capcom is one of the companies who has good pricing strategy in their PC releases which allows them to have long legs with good profits and prices that isnt too high on the user after some amount of time , DMCVSE not coming to PC was the recent bad mark in their relation with PC but otherwise they maintain a good strategy with PC

Steam

- Capcom Main ( and currently nearly only ) PC Platform , Capcom was one of the early Japanese adopters of Steam ( I think DMC3 was literally the first Japanese game released on Steam ) before they switched to GFWL for some time and one of the early Japanese companies to do Fine PC Ports ( after the disastrous DMC3 and RE4 Ports ) , Monster Hunter World Concurrent Numbers on Steam and the game's gigantic sales must have shocked Capcom in a good way and decided to invest more in PC Space , Capcom also had its share with partnerships with Valve , apparent in Resident Evil 6 x L4D Crossover and Okami x Dota Crossover

Epic Game Store

- While Capcom have Zero Games on EGS until now , but there is a chance they will eventually release games there when store gets more matured , As it is harmless to release games on EGS alongside steam , and each copy sold there is a profit compared to it being sold on Steam ( 88% compared to 70% cut ) , We might also see Capcom release a game for Free there ( ApplexEpic Court docs showed there was negotiations to have RE2 as freebie one time ) , I dont think Capcom will have an exclusive EGS game there unless it is really really a game they arent totally sure of its performance , Recently Capcom had its share of Crossovers with Epic , apparent in Fortnite having Street Fighter and Resident Evil Crossovers

GOG

- Capcom seems to be not in favor of making their games DRM-Free and therefore they totally Skip GOG , However there was two occasions where Capcom released on GOG and both are random , the first is Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the second is Dragon Dogma , I don't think we will see Capcom on GOG unless Cd Projekt approach them to Re-release RE1/2/3 or Dino Crisis 1/2 on the platform the same way CD Projekt approached Konami about the old PC ports of MG1 and MGS1 and 2 and Castlevania , I am sure CD Projekt tried to Contact Capcom about them but for some reason Capcom might not be in favor of Re-releasing their old PC ports or make RE Classic/Dino Crisis Collection , Worth noting that RE Classic Collection is very high on the GOG community wishlist for PC ports that community wants CD Projekt to re-release it

Stadia

- Capcom supported Stadia with Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 8 with a leaked good sum of money , but with the new conditions of Stadia I am not sure how Stadia and Capcom releases will go

Luna

- Surprisingly , Capcom supported Luna with a 3 games , which is a good number compared to the library of Luna , they supported Luna with Megaman 11 , RE7 and Devil May cry V , I think we should expect more games to come while Luna is in developing phase

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread, it contains a lot of information that's new to me. I'm excited to see Resident Evil 4 and Dragon's Dogma 2 in the future.

I think Capcom support of the Switch in future years looks bleak outside of Megaman/AA considering I don't expect almost any of the leak games to make it to the console. I wonder how they will do once MH:R stops selling in Japan, sales wise, thankfully Capcom is the only JP company imo that has 'gone West' with such a high success that it makes up easily for the lost sales in Japan and not only makes up for it but it has allowed them to grow immensly especially on PC. Only exception of this is MH:Rise which made total sense to make a JP focused portable entry due to how popular MH is there and in the East of Asia where Switch dominates and if MH6 doesn't release in Switch/2 I'd expect them to do the same this generation with a MH:Rise 2.

The turnover they did in the late 10s is impressive though it has to be the most impressive one of the last decade with Nintendo one. I think that the next five to seven years are setup to be amazing especially if they can find a way to still put quality and frequent RE titles once they run out of remakes , only worrying thing in my opinion is MH6 performance , Iceborne didn't perform as well as expected in the West and it will do quite worse in Japan if nothing changes but PC performance in Asia was really impressive and there Iceborne did quite better than in the West, day 1 MH6 PC release in Asia will be huge and imo will make up for most loses in Japan, only thing I would worry is Western performance but considering Capcom recent track record while I don't expect it to hit MHW peak it will still be great. Another big factor is Pragmata but we know so little I prefer to not comment anything about it's performance.

Last edited:
^ I believe that Capcom will do two tracks for their Monster Hunter franchise: World on the Twins and PC, and Rise and Stories for Nintendo and also optimized for Steam Deck. Nintendo should also continue to get Mega Man and Ace Attorney as you say. We might also still see a Biohazard/Resident Evil game specifically made for the Switch.

Capcom had a tendency in the past to make big bets on untested hardware, especially if they think they have a reason to. They seemed to revel in first-mover advantage for quite some time.

Prior to the appearance of PS1, Capcom was seemingly leaning hard on Saturn, for reasons that I can only guess had something to do with expecting PS1 to not succeed in the US in any major way and Saturn to continue where Genesis left off. Saturn support continued on throughout that generation, primarily due to its ability to produce near-perfect ports of games built on the CPS-2 arcade board; Capcom was one of the most prolific Japanese 3rd-party publishers on Saturn by the end, in terms of quantity, quality and a release schedule from beginning to EoL, with few to no other publishers touching their output on that platform.

They were present day 1 with Dreamcast, as well, this time clearly due to their use of and familiarity with the NAOMI arcade board for their 3D polygonal arcade games that made arcade ports impossibly simple.

Then there was the infamous "Capcom Five" on GameCube, that mostly got walked back.

And handhelds, well... they were all over GBA & PSP like a wet sheet (they were there on the DS as well, but less so).

After that, the of big swings made early kind of goes a bit weird and inconsistent. This is during the time that they were losing talent (Mikami, Inaba, Kamiya, Fujibayashi, among others) and making really ill-received Western-forward decisions, or what I like to call "the dread Inafune years". If they bet big on anything, it was Xbox 360.
Then there was the total shitshow of "Panta Rhei" and Deep Down, which of course never materialized, with an overall slow start on PS4, along with an ill-advised MonHun port for Wii U.
And then, Switch... gave Nintendo feedback on the hardware, re-released SF2 and then kinda peaced out for the first few years. Stark contrast to their past behaviour, to be sure.

What's interesting is how reserved they've been with their release calendar recently. Were it not for the leaks mentioned in the OP, you'd think they vanished after 2021 until Exoprimal and SF6 were shown, but even that has no guarantee of SF6 seeing a 2022 release and almost everything in the leak being for next year at the earliest. And I dunno, my eyebrow is up at the coincidental timing, with some new hardware soon to be coming down the pike and a surge in their presence on Switch in the past few years. I don't know how that's going to pan out, but I get the feeling Capcom wants to return to making big swings early on new hardware, especially with an entirely justifiable reason to do so that we've been watching unfold.

Thanks for making this thread, it contains a lot of information that's new to me. I'm excited to see Resident Evil 4 and Dragon's Dogma 2 in the future.
Thanks xD

I think Capcom support of the Switch in future years looks bleak outside of Megaman/AA considering I don't expect almost any of the leak games to make it to the console. I wonder how they will do once MH:R stops selling in Japan, sales wise, thankfully Capcom is the only JP company imo that has 'gone West' with such a high success that it makes up easily for the lost sales in Japan and not only makes up for it but it has allowed them to grow immensly especially on PC. Only exception of this is MH:Rise which made total sense to make a JP focused portable entry due to how popular MH is there and in the East of Asia where Switch dominates and if MH6 doesn't release in Switch/2 I'd expect them to do the same this generation with a MH:Rise 2.

The turnover they did in the late 10s is impressive though it has to be the most impressive one of the last decade with Nintendo one. I think that the next five to seven years are setup to be amazing especially if they can find a way to still put quality and frequent RE titles once they run out of remakes , only worrying thing in my opinion is MH6 performance , Iceborne didn't perform as well as expected in the West and it will do quite worse in Japan if nothing changes but PC performance in Asia was really impressive and there Iceborne did quite better than in the West, day 1 MH6 PC release in Asia will be huge and imo will make up for most loses in Japan, only thing I would worry is Western performance but considering Capcom recent track record while I don't expect it to hit MHW peak it will still be great. Another big factor is Pragmata but we know so little I prefer to not comment anything about it's performance.

One of the Wild Card factors for MH6 PC , is the ease of access for Chinese market to get the game on PC , and that was one of the prime reasons for the Major difference between MHW and Rise performance on PC , Chinese market did a Major chunk for MHW Sales on Steam ( at least at launch ) , but when before Rise was launched on PC , Chinese market had way more difficulties accessing Steam than in MHW days , and that was one big factor resulted in a noticeably lower peak and daily CCU between MHW and Rise , So one can wonder if Chinese market condition on Steam will improve at MH6 release or it will be same condition as now

Regarding Pragmata , Leaks showed us that the game doesnt have a big budget compared to Capcom's big hitters , and its sales projection is also low , and Capcom said previousely that they will use this game to train new hired developers on the Engine and Capcom Framework and Environment , but Yea it is too early to comment on Pragmata Since nearly no info is known about it , but these two things made me consider the possibility that it will be an experimental small game that looks gorgeous
^ I believe that Capcom will do two tracks for their Monster Hunter franchise: World on the Twins and PC, and Rise and Stories for Nintendo and also optimized for Steam Deck. Nintendo should also continue to get Mega Man and Ace Attorney as you say. We might also still see a Biohazard/Resident Evil game specifically made for the Switch.

Regarding Switch , I think Capcom pattern is now known , Rise likely is the last MH game for Switch , and it is clear what type of new games Capcom releases on switch from its catalogue , Capcom might release a switch dedicated RE game , but IMO Very likely Capcom is saving that for the next generation of Nintendo consoles launch

Drake will be another Year or two, then the Capcom port parade starts all over again.

Capcom's favorite kind of Parade xD , I think if they had known they will have a dry 2021 and 2022 , they would had saved some of their recent port parade for those two years to fill them

Capcom had a tendency in the past to make big bets on untested hardware, especially if they think they have a reason to. They seemed to revel in first-mover advantage for quite some time.

Prior to the appearance of PS1, Capcom was seemingly leaning hard on Saturn, for reasons that I can only guess had something to do with expecting PS1 to not succeed in the US in any major way and Saturn to continue where Genesis left off. Saturn support continued on throughout that generation, primarily due to its ability to produce near-perfect ports of games built on the CPS-2 arcade board; Capcom was one of the most prolific Japanese 3rd-party publishers on Saturn by the end, in terms of quantity, quality and a release schedule from beginning to EoL, with few to no other publishers touching their output on that platform.

They were present day 1 with Dreamcast, as well, this time clearly due to their use of and familiarity with the NAOMI arcade board for their 3D polygonal arcade games that made arcade ports impossibly simple.

Then there was the infamous "Capcom Five" on GameCube, that mostly got walked back.

And handhelds, well... they were all over GBA & PSP like a wet sheet (they were there on the DS as well, but less so).

After that, the of big swings made early kind of goes a bit weird and inconsistent. This is during the time that they were losing talent (Mikami, Inaba, Kamiya, Fujibayashi, among others) and making really ill-received Western-forward decisions, or what I like to call "the dread Inafune years". If they bet big on anything, it was Xbox 360.
Then there was the total shitshow of "Panta Rhei" and Deep Down, which of course never materialized, with an overall slow start on PS4, along with an ill-advised MonHun port for Wii U.
And then, Switch... gave Nintendo feedback on the hardware, re-released SF2 and then kinda peaced out for the first few years. Stark contrast to their past behaviour, to be sure.

What's interesting is how reserved they've been with their release calendar recently. Were it not for the leaks mentioned in the OP, you'd think they vanished after 2021 until Exoprimal and SF6 were shown, but even that has no guarantee of SF6 seeing a 2022 release and almost everything in the leak being for next year at the earliest. And I dunno, my eyebrow is up at the coincidental timing, with some new hardware soon to be coming down the pike and a surge in their presence on Switch in the past few years. I don't know how that's going to pan out, but I get the feeling Capcom wants to return to making big swings early on new hardware, especially with an entirely justifiable reason to do so that we've been watching unfold.
Oh Yea , I forgot to mention in the OP about the dry Capcom years of 2021 and 2022 even regarding announcements , I think it is a mix of COVID-19 delays , Pure Current Gen titles that they don't want to make Cross-Gen but at the same time they arent satisfied with the userbase of Current Gen , Cancellation of some titles like they said in one of their Q&A ( Probably RE Outrage ) , Games they are saving for the next Gen Nintendo Console rather than releasing on switch

A game like Ace Attorney 7 would had been great to release in either 2021 or 2022 to fill the gaps especially that leaks had it to release somewhere in Q3 2021 so if delayed then it might be pushed to 2022 , but it is nowhere to be seen until now , Hopefully it is announced at Ace Attorney Concert or at TGS

Something also was puzzling me regarding Capcom releases in 2021 , they had good output from February to July , then literally Zero output from August until now except for MHR PC , I wonder if spacing some of those releases would had been better like for example releasing either Great Ace Attorney Collection or Monster Hunter in that period , since both of them released very close to each other in July

Capcom's transition to a AAA dev house has been almost textbook. Their next gen engine is highly versatile and impressive, their prior IPs have all gotten a huge breath of fresh air and sales from going AAA and they have managed to keep dev times relatively low.

MHW2 will be huge if they can sell it as an open world ARPG. I also think, after mentioning before how open world AAA RPGs are extremely rare and sell 15-30M, Dragons Dogma 2 could be the most important gaming title for Capcom this decade.

Can they pull an Elden Ring? The floor is wide open for them. There's a big gap between now and when the next Skyrim, Witchers, Fallouts, or ERs release.

I don't think they need to sell Monster Hunter as an open world RPG. It has already done well enough as it is. They just need a same day release on PC and maintain a steady content pipeline.

Capcom's favorite kind of Parade xD , I think if they had known they will have a dry 2021 and 2022 , they would had saved some of their recent port parade for those two years to fill them
There's still a few things I could see being ported (DMC4, DmC, AA4-6, USF4, UMVC3, etc). They've also been pretty good with the retro/emulation collections continuing and I could see more of that too.

They seem to be doing great in conventional gaming, I do wonder if they'll push more for bigger mobile games as a new parallel revenue stream. They could also in principle use a franchise like Monster Hunter to be a true MMO if they wanted to try their hand at that sort of thing, but it would be a big step to take and cost a lot to try.

Their efforts at making a multiplayer Resident Evil game have been quite sad in general, which is a surprise to me because RE5 and RE6 both sold a gazillion units so they know there is a market for some forms of RE MP (coop pve at minimum). I think they'll eventually get it right, but it might not be for a while, because it will require a decently high budget effort to get a hit.

I expect them to announce a port that will make all sorts of shit takes happen. The lineup looks skimpy this FY.

I'll just put it out there that whenever Dragon's Dogma 2 is announced, unless they accept some long term exclusivity (let's say 1+ year) I expect it to become Capcom's 2nd best-selling title ever behind MH:World, it seems the kind of game that is extremely appealing to the current market and given the display from Itsuno and the team with DMC5 it's likely to be one of the best looking RE Engine titles to date.

Capcom's transition to a AAA dev house has been almost textbook. Their next gen engine is highly versatile and impressive, their prior IPs have all gotten a huge breath of fresh air and sales from going AAA and they have managed to keep dev times relatively low.

MHW2 will be huge if they can sell it as an open world ARPG. I also think, after mentioning before how open world AAA RPGs are extremely rare and sell 15-30M, Dragons Dogma 2 could be the most important gaming title for Capcom this decade.

Can they pull an Elden Ring? The floor is wide open for them. There's a big gap between now and when the next Skyrim, Witchers, Fallouts, or ERs release.

Its amazing how swiftly recovered from the Phanta Rhei Engine Situation and turned it into a Very efficient and Strong Engine called RE Engine , lots of other companies in this situation would had used Third Party Engines or re-relied on MT Framework for a few years until the next engine arrives , but they had RE Engine in a good state in like 2015 or something

And Yea , Had Dragon Dogma releases somewhere in 2023 , thats the next big thing regarding Big ARPG games and maybe even 2024 If there is no Dragon Age/Fable release by that time

I don't think they need to sell Monster Hunter as an open world RPG. It has already done well enough as it is. They just need a same day release on PC and maintain a steady content pipeline.

Yea I agree , I think they will push Dragon Dogma as their literal ARPG face and see how it will go , If it underperforms again , I think Capcom may think of making a Monster Hunter that is ARPG

There's still a few things I could see being ported (DMC4, DmC, AA4-6, USF4, UMVC3, etc). They've also been pretty good with the retro/emulation collections continuing and I could see more of that too.

I think AA4-5-6 is a lock but the question is the timing of it , but its necessary if they are going to release AA7 , Also Want to add Dead Rising Games to your list

Yea Capcom is good is preserving collections , but I wonder when they will make the jump to make 3D games collections , AFAIK there isn't a big list left of 2D arcade games to insert in CAS2 so will be interesting to see if they will insert 3D games into it

They seem to be doing great in conventional gaming, I do wonder if they'll push more for bigger mobile games as a new parallel revenue stream. They could also in principle use a franchise like Monster Hunter to be a true MMO if they wanted to try their hand at that sort of thing, but it would be a big step to take and cost a lot to try.

Their efforts at making a multiplayer Resident Evil game have been quite sad in general, which is a surprise to me because RE5 and RE6 both sold a gazillion units so they know there is a market for some forms of RE MP (coop pve at minimum). I think they'll eventually get it right, but it might not be for a while, because it will require a decently high budget effort to get a hit.

What Puzzles me a lot , Is that Capcom have already a formula that is unique to them and to RE Brand and will be a good GaaS model , but they didn't utilize it except in 3D Mercenaries in #DS , which is a game dedicated to Mercenaries mode , U have like what ...... 16 Games in the series varied between Mainline and Side that u can Milk Playable Characters , Monsters and Maps from it for like a whole Generation , but instead Capcom doesnt seem to like the idea of a dedicated Merc mode game , one can say that Capcom is saving it as Extra mode for Games , but it is a no-show since RE6 , and the one returned in Village isnt what u exactly call a true Merc mode

And Yea , Seeing the quite good CCU for RE5 and RE6 on Steam , which always is above Remake3/Remake1/RE0 and Most of times above RE7 , that tells u that both The Co-Op in these games and the Merc mode made both games live and active until now

Resistance was a Polished game and good one in concept , but Capcom abandoned it too early and IMO they should had made it a separate game that targets 4V1 market rather than treating it as an extra mode for RE Market , cause that didn't work in a good way , like I think $40 Price Tag for RE3 and $20 for Resistance Would had made a better reception for both even if launch profit would be lower , $20 for Resistance would encourage 4V1 market to purchase it rather than paying $60 , and $40 price tag for RE3 would be fair as base price compared to the content of the game , but Capcom miscalculated the Whole RE3/Resistance/$60 thing and thought of Resistance as a replacement for RE3 lack of Content

Verse , I think it is a cool little game and I will hold my Final Judgement when I see its final version , hopefully it has a standalone version cause I won't buy Village ( don't play FP games due to Motion Sickness )

Umbrella Corps was some kind of experiment for Capcom that who knows what they were thinking when making it xD

I expect them to announce a port that will make all sorts of shit takes happen. The lineup looks skimpy this FY.

They didnt release a single Game/Port Since Late July except for MH Rise PC , and that will continue until June , There is no Literal new game for this FY until now ( unless SF6 releases early 2023 )

I'll just put it out there that whenever Dragon's Dogma 2 is announced, unless they accept some long term exclusivity (let's say 1+ year) I expect it to become Capcom's 2nd best-selling title ever behind MH:World, it seems the kind of game that is extremely appealing to the current market and given the display from Itsuno and the team with DMC5 it's likely to be one of the best looking RE Engine titles to date.

Especially if it will be a Cross-Gen game , but that depends when it will release , If early-mid 2023 then maybe , but if late 2023-early 2024 then there is really Slim chance for that , But I hope it is Full current gen in order to look phenomenal

Last edited:
That would mean being a 10-11M+ seller that's what MH:Rise is going to end up at least when it's all said and done, and we are talking about Dragon's Dogma a game that while was loved by the ones who played it's still 'only' Devil May Cry tier popularity wise not MH/RE, while I think it will outsell by a lot the original entry I don't see it doing multiple times, I think it will be a 6-8m seller.

I think AA4-5-6 is a lock but the question is the timing of it , but its necessary if they are going to release AA7 , Also Want to add Dead Rising Games to your list

Yea Capcom is good is preserving collections , but I wonder when they will make the jump to make 3D games collections , AFAIK there isn't a big list left of 2D arcade games to insert in CAS2 so will be interesting to see if they will insert 3D games into it
There's enough 2D games left on CPS, CPS2 and pre-CPS that i wouldn't expect 3D stuff yet. If they do 3rd Stadium though yeah, they'd probably need to delve into ZN1/2, ST-V and maybe even Naomi games.

Dead Rising would make sense but it really seems like a dead IP now after Capcom Vancouver's shut down. Looking back at PS360 era stuff for remastering Lost Planet's kinda in the same spot, although I wish they'd take a chance on EXTroopers for a rerelease. Actually Monster Hunter remasters may be a possibility looking at GeForce leak.

That would mean being a 10-11M+ seller that's what MH:Rise is going to end up at least when it's all said and done, and we are talking about Dragon's Dogma a game that while was loved by the ones who played it's still 'only' Devil May Cry tier popularity wise not MH/RE, while I think it will outsell by a lot the original entry I don't see it doing multiple times, I think it will be a 6-8m seller.
I'm aware mine is a very outlandish prediction, especially without the platforms it will be released on which could shrink significantly the install base *shrugs* but the demand for Fantasy Open Word action RPGs will be at an all-time high in 2023 with no new From game on the horizon and a Zelda game relegated to the only platform we're certain won't get Dragon's Dogma 2. I also expect a significant portion of the Monster Hunter fanbase to give it a spin since World 2 is still a ways off.

There's enough 2D games left on CPS, CPS2 and pre-CPS that i wouldn't expect 3D stuff yet. If they do 3rd Stadium though yeah, they'd probably need to delve into ZN1/2, ST-V and maybe even Naomi games.

Dead Rising would make sense but it really seems like a dead IP now after Capcom Vancouver's shut down. Looking back at PS360 era stuff for remastering Lost Planet's kinda in the same spot, although I wish they'd take a chance on EXTroopers for a rerelease. Actually Monster Hunter remasters may be a possibility looking at GeForce leak.

They could drop a remaster in mid 2023ish as a filler between MH6 and Sunbreak. Switch/PS5/Xbox Series/PC?

It would have to be a fairly substantial remaster for me to care though instead of playing more Iceborne, GU or Sunbreak more.

Fiscal Year Output Plan Revealed
They announced they will release " Multiple Major New Titles " This Fiscal Year , and we have Numbers for their Projected SKUs and Projected Sales

unknown.png

As For the Numbers

unknown.png

From what We Can See

- Capcom Plans to Release 45 SKU this Fiscal Year , Double of their output last FY and their Biggest number since 3 Fiscal Years
- They plan to sell 37M Units
- 7M of those are from Japan , Higher than the performance of Japan in the previous two years , which had titles Monster Hunter Rise and Resident Evil Village Releases
- The New Titles projection is 10M , Also Higher than the performance of the previous two Years

Do you think we'll see an Exoprimal+Dragons' Dogma 2 or Pragmata+Dragon's Dogma 2 situation in Q4, similarly to how we got both RE2R and DMC5 in early 2019?

45 SKUs is a lot, I wonder what could possibly be released within the end of 2022, I can only think of AA7...

Do you think we'll see an Exoprimal+Dragons' Dogma 2 or Pragmata+Dragon's Dogma 2 situation in Q4, similarly to how we got both RE2R and DMC5 in early 2019?

45 SKUs is a lot, I wonder what could possibly be released within the end of 2022, I can only think of AA7...

New Games that Possibly Could Release this FY would be a mix of

Street Fighter 6
Pragmata
Resident Evil 4
Megaman Game
Ace Attorney 7
Dragon Dogma 2
Exoprimal

The Very High Japan number could be a sign that Resident Evil 4 will release this FY , Don't think of any other game outside Sunbreak that could push Capcom's Japan Sales to 7M this FY , Unless Capcom is betting on Dragon Dogma 2 in Japan

As for Games releasing This Calender Year , Yea I think from the new ones only Megaman and Ace Attorney 7 could release this Year , Unless we will see a change then Capcom isn't the type of Company to release their Big games in the fall of the year

The Very High Japan number could be a sign that Resident Evil 4 will release this FY , Don't think of any other game outside Sunbreak that could push Capcom's Japan Sales to 7M this FY , Unless Capcom is betting on Dragon Dogma 2 in Japan
What can we even realistically expect from RE4? I don't see any scenario where it manages more than a (very optimistic) 500k in Japan and , honestly, I also extremely doubt it's due this FY. There has to be something (or some things) with Japan in mind to even flirt with the 7M figure.

What can we even realistically expect from RE4? I don't see any scenario where it manages more than a (very optimistic) 500k in Japan and , honestly, I also extremely doubt it's due this FY. There has to be something (or some things) with Japan in mind to even flirt with the 7M figure.
Sunbreak and catalog sales will be the major factors to hit 7M. They plan to sell 37M games WW but only 10M of new games, that means only 27% of units sold will come from new games if they expect to have a similar ratio in Japan , which I don't think they are expecting to do due to Sunbreak, that would mean 'only' 1.9M new games sold; MH:Sunbreak alone (which Capcom counts as a new title) should do it.

Around 2.5m Sunbreak+4.5m catalog and new non-Sunbreak releases seems realistic when you consider the deep digital sales Capcom does nowadays, especially MH:Rise sales will be huge we already see the game chart in the eShop always in the top 10 when in sale.

Last edited:
What makes you think this will be 2023?
because I expect Monster Hunter World 2 to be bound to 2024 (Sunbreak support should slip into early 2023 and then soon after it finished the hype cycle for World 2 will begin, just like the Iceborne to Rise shift was very quick) so I expect Capcom will get Dragon's Dogma 2 "out of the way" since imho there's overlap in the audiences. Now DD2 doesn't harm Rise because it won't release on Switch so it's not a problem to have it announced and released by H1 2023

Still rare that SFVI didnā€™t get a release date, while RE4 Remake yes.

And we donā€™t know nothing of REVillage DLC

So until now

Resident Evil 4 - March 2023 ( Confirmed this FY )
Street Fighter 6 - 2023 ( Unknown )
Pragmata - 2023 ( Unknown )
Exoprimal - 2023 ( Unknown )

At E3 2018 we got RE2 Remake in the PlayStation Showcase and DMC5 in the Microsoft Showcase, RE2 released in January and DMC5 in March. Now we got RE4R for March, I'm curious to see if DD2 swaps places or releases after RE4, since it's a brand new game with a broader scope I'd expect the latter but maybe Itsuno already had stuff figured out between the launch of Dark Arisen and the beginning of development for DMC5 since he pitched both to Capcom.

Capcom output in near future is looking like to be a really solid one. Full of big titles and with some new IPs. I expect SF6 to blow out honestly.

Capcom is so chuffed about PC sales that now theyā€™re bringing Resident Evil Village to Macs and, based on what they were saying in the WWDC keynote, it sounds like more might be on the way.

See who retweeted šŸ‘€

IMG-20220607-103128.jpg

I think if there is *something* , it will be either at SGF or MS then more details at Capcom show

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma 2 probably gets revealed by the Keighley Showcase or Microsoft Showcase. Then we get details about it at the Capcom show.

At this point if DD2 isn't revealed it's going down as the biggest no-show of E3 2022 (well, outside of E3 2022 itself of course)

At this point if DD2 isn't revealed it's going down as the biggest no-show of E3 2022 (well, outside of E3 2022 itself of course)
They have announced two big games already for 2023 with RE4R and SF6, I expect DD2 to be late 2023 if it releases in 2023 at this point but probably is 2024 when you consider Exoprimal/Pragmata are also 2023 titles.

(Also why I understand DD2 hype there are bigger titles that probably will miss fake-e3 like new mainline Mario title or AC from Ubisoft part)

Last Itsuno game was revealed at Microsoft E3 show (Devil May Cry 5). So well, maybe Dragons Dogma 2 is being revealed next Sunday.

Waiting for capcom show, hope re8 dlc is ambitious. Ace attorney please dear capcom šŸ„ŗ

I don't see how Capcom will get the expected rise on Japanese sales only with Sunbreak now that almost all confirmed games will miss this FY it seems bar RE4R (which releases really late on March), I guess we will have to wait for the Nintendo Direct to see if they have something that can change it. I thought Sunbreak+the big PS games would be enough but with so many missing the FY it doesn't seem possible now

Dragons Dogma could still make it this FY. Many think there is a Playstation Showcase coming soon, Sony usually has one every year around September.

10th anniversary video is also on June 16th.

Back
Top Bottom