• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Capcom FY3/2022 Q2 Earning - Village Exceeds - 4.8 mil, MH Stories 2 - 1.3 mil

Neither Call of Duty nor Fifa took the risk MH did (and pulled it off). What did those franchises do that equal to MH making the jump to being a niche success in Japan, to being a worldwide hit that broke all expectations, even the more optimistic ones ? Call of Duty riding the Battle Royale wave ? Yeah, no.

One could wright a very interesting book of how MH keep its success steady despite all the risk (that paid off) they took with the franchise. Something you would have a hard time doing with the two franchises you mentioned.

The original Modern Warfare was a pretty massive risk for the franchise and propelled the franchise to the stratosphere.

But you're point about MonHun was about consistent success, which COD and Fifa have, but if it's about taking a risk and having it pay off then surely something like The Legend of Zelda or God of War are equally as well managed? Those changed game direction completely.

The original Modern Warfare was a pretty massive risk for the franchise and propelled the franchise to the stratosphere.

But you're point about MonHun was about consistent success, which COD and Fifa have, but if it's about taking a risk and having it pay off then surely something like The Legend of Zelda or God of War are equally as well managed? Those changed game direction completely.

It's both : being that consistent WHILE taking huge risk. Something you can't say about Zelda or God of War. The risky aspect was here from the start in my argument :

You could say something like Mario is similar, but it never made the jump to others platform as much as MH did.

niche success in japan? what? also, Monster Hunter was already a million seller, twice (or more) over in the west. I wouldn't say that's niche

I worded that badly, I was more speaking about it being niche because it was only a thing in Japan for a while. Not niche in the sense of selling low or anything.

It's both : being that consistent WHILE taking huge risk. Something you can't say about Zelda or God of War. The risky aspect was here from the start in my argument :
You seem to be willingly forgetting what you wrote as arguments ...

You used mobile as an example for Mario, yet when MH mobile is brought up, that's not the point.

Also, "In fact, the only example we have of Mario making it to another platform (apple smartphones) isn't exactly in the franchise favor, something MH mainlines titles always pulled off." and "All MH mainlines titles have met huge success since the PSP days, regardless of the platform of the moment Capcom chose."- how do MH Tri numbers, which was a mainline game on the Wii, fit that narrative?

MH is hugely successful, no one argues that though.

Last edited:
I can see where @McSpeed is coming from and I understood your point that your giving minus points to Mario vs MH because Nintendo stuck with Mario on hardware which were low sellers leading to low selling software relative to the high selling software standards.

However I Disagree with you @McSpeed because i feel that minus is also positive point in IP Management of taking risk by sticking with the positioning of the software being exclusive to the hardware (despite hardware selling extremly low like WiiU). which has led to nintendo releasing hardwares like Wii and Switch because the values of these IP pushes nintendo to give such hardware with unique experience because they understand the importance of selling them high and not be complacent .

Also third parties have more freedom vs First Party so evaluations parameters have to be different

IF switch was another Wii U sales wise and they didn't port Mario elsewhere then I would see more merit to your point

Also would add MH is not that consistent which your telling it to be

And your only focusing on one aspect

Last edited:
You seem to be willingly forgetting what you wrote as arguments ...

You used mobile as an example for Mario, yet when MH mobile is brought up, that's not the point.

Lol, or maybe you didn't understand what I wrote ? Mario made the jump to a few platforms and it never worked, mobile being a prime example since it's almost the only one we have. MH made the jump to various platforms and it has worked way more time than it didn't. That's the major difference here and that's also what I wrote before. MH isn't just successful, Capcom made some ace managing move at the right moment, taking huge risk with it that paid off 8 time out of 10.

MH as an IP has overwhelming success restricted to it's mainline and portable entries. The spin offs like Stories and the mobile games don't have anywhere near the success. Then you look at Mario and see a wide net of success, from 2D and 3D to spin offs. Mario Kart being the crown jewel, but stuff like Party, Sports, heck even Rabbids are all strong.

Lol, or maybe you didn't understand what I wrote ? Mario made the jump to a few platforms and it never worked, mobile being a prime example since it's almost the only one we have. MH made the jump to various platforms and it has worked way more time than it didn't. That's the major difference here and that's also what I wrote before. MH isn't just successful, Capcom made some ace managing move at the right moment, taking huge risk with it that paid off 8 time out of 10.
Mario has made the jump to various genres much better than MH, which might matter more. In addition to sustaining three different platformer lines between 2D, 3D and Maker. Which franchise has really been better managed?

It being tied to the hardware is a strategy of managing the franchise and selling well isn't really the subject. When you have a franchise that can go as high as Odyssey and as low as Sunshine, you can't exactly put that franchise in the same ballpark as MH as far as franchise management goes.

Main Persona titles (2, 3, 4 and 5) has been tied to Playstation hardware for awhile and it didn't prevent it from having a steady growth of sales, with Persona 5 being a huge breakout for the franchise. It sells way less than Mario 3D titles overall, but I'd say Atlus made a good job at managing the franchise, despite being tied to one manufacturer.
Persona is not actually a Playstation exclusive "brand", so IP growth was not limited to just "releasing games on PS and growing".

Persona has many, many spin-off titles that are aimed at expanding and milking the IP. Arena, Q-series, Strikers, Dancing, etc. There's also obvious external multi-media based growth in the anime series and movies.

So while the mainline games were and are a Playstation thing the brand itself is not. Steady growth comes from many areas, and one of those was the growth of the IP as a whole through multi-media and multi-console exposure.

I’m not sure MH is a franchise known for taking risks, I’d say in a lot of ways the opposite is true. The gameplay has pretty much always been mostly the same and even the graphics level managed to stay around the same from the original release right up until MHW.

Sure moving back to home consoles was a risk but that hardly makes it a franchise known for taking risks.

I don’t think it can be compared to a franchise like mario. Not only has mario remained insanely popular for 30 years and going but they have successfully managed to have a huge amount of spin-offs that were also hugely successful. Not to mention turning mario into a huge multi media property.

Don’t get me wrong MH is an insane story of success and capcom deserve a ton of credit but I think the comparisons in this thread are overboard.

So claiming MH has been managed quite perfectly by Capcom for years now is a hill to die on ? Sure, sure.
Monster Hunter has certainly been very well managed. What I don't think makes that much sense is equating a consistent, upwards-selling trajectory to great management because the second is a much broader concept which includes many other possibilities. Following your logic, the moment MHW2 (even if still successful) sells less than what MHW achieved, the IP stops being that well managed.

Even with all its misses and some recent PR disasters I would argue that Pokémon has been an even better managed IP in spite of its main game sales having never again reached the highs of Gen I. Being consistently hugely successful over 25 years is more impressive to me than growing gradually and becoming hugely successful after 15 years (as much merit as the second deserves).

I agree with your point about the great timing of MH's platform skips and overall strategy. There's always inherent risk when making those jumps, but they certainly backed the decisions by sound analyses which paid off.

No, I wouldn't even say that about Mario. Just not as well managed as MH as a whole, which was my argument from the start.

I don't really agree with you at all. Mario has been going strong for more than 35 year now, much longer than MH. in all those years, the series managed to keep things fresh by constant re-invention of the formula which is incredibly difficult. the thing is, the games performance in the market is also related to the hardware and its level of success, and Nintendo didn't always manage to release popular consoles. see Mario 3D World sales or even Mario Kart 8 on Switch in comparison to WiiU. I think Nintendo absolutely nails software management/cost/ip control and I consider them the best in the industry here, but they mismanaged hardware multiple times, which also affected software reach and popularity.

Capcom experimented a lot with MH to get it here as well, and not all those experiments succeeded. still, I think the way they are growing the franchise now is excellent: a game for HD consoles, a game for Nintendo, good spin-off (Stories), movie, and excellent PC ports.

Platinium list
Source: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Franchise Updates
Monster Hunter - 78M (+3M)
Ace Attorney - 8.6M (+400K)
Onimusha - 8.5M (+100K)
Resident Evil - 120M (+3M)
Street Fighter - 47M (+1M)
Ghost'n Goblins - 4.4M (+100K)

Platinum Title Updates

Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter World - 17.5M* (+200K) [Excludes shipments of MHW: Iceborne Master Edition]
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 8.5M (+300K)
Monster Hunter Rise - 7.5M (+200K)
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin - 1.3M NEW

Resident Evil

Resident Evil VII - 10.2M (+400K)
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 8.9M (+300K)
Resident Evil 5 - 8M (+100K)
Resident Evil 6 - 8M (+100K)
Resident Evil Village - 4.8M (+300K)
Resident Evil 3 Remake - 4.6M (+200K)
Resident Evil Remake HD - 3.2M (+100K)
Resident Evil 0 HD - 3.1M (+100K)
Resident Evil 4 [PS4/X1] - 2.4M (+100K)
Resident Evil 5 [PS4/X1] - 2.3M (+100K)
Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition [PC] - 1.7M [+100K]
Dead Rising 3 - 3M (+100K)
Megaman 11 - 1.4M (+100K)

MISC.
Street Fighter V - 6M (+200K)
Devil May Cry 5 - 4.7M (+200K)
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary - 2M (+100K)
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 1.8M (+100K)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - 1.3M (+100K)

------------

I can't make threads yet lol

Last edited:
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter World - 17.5M* (+200K) [Excludes shipments of MHW: Iceborne Master Edition]
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 8.5M (+300K)

So with the 20M number we got some days ago does this mean the Iceborne data is ~6M DLC / ~2.5M ME?

Like around 1/3 of MHW base game owners got the DLC.

400k increase for Ace Attorney is quite good. If we subtract the 100k from Trilogy, that means GAA sold about 300k. As of today it has most definitely passed their lifetime expectations from the leak.

REVII’s legs are pretty impressive. Outselling RE2make. Between RE7 and RE8 sales, looks like first person RE is here to stay.

That's 2,5m for Iceborne Master Edition then and basically it has stopped selling, almost all 300k sales of Iceborne last quarter came from purchasing the DLC.

+100k for Ghost and Goblins after 2 quarters. GnG Resurrection LTD could be >200k right now.
Last week, finally, it had its first deal. We'll see if with a lower price, it can move units faster next quarter.

Still surreal seeing Stories 2 doing so well after how the first one did. It was the right choice on Capcom's part to capitalize on World's effect on the brand and the success of JRPGs recently. It selling twice what they initially expected by the end of 2021 is a great success for them.

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 4 [PS4/X1] - 2.4M (+100K)
Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition [PC] - 1.7M [+100K]

RE4 is selling at a +200K pace every quarter since the addition of PC Ultimate , I think when Switch version gets added to the list it will be a constant +300K every quarter , and coupled with a very predictable boost from the announcement of Remake4 in the future , I can see RE4 may make an upset and overtake RE5 as the best selling RE Game of all time even if RE5 Swtich gets added too , Since RE5 dont have the same pace as RE4

Currently

RE4 is 11.2M
RE5 is 12.6M

Difference is 1.4M

So World, Iceborne, Rise and Stories 2 sold a combined 2m but the MH franchise sold 3m overall? Where'd that extra 1m come from, none of the 3DS games moved at all?

RE4 is selling at a +200K pace every quarter since the addition of PC Ultimate , I think when Switch version gets added to the list it will be a constant +300K every quarter , and coupled with a very predictable boost from the announcement of Remake4 in the future , I can see RE4 may make an upset and overtake RE5 as the best selling RE Game of all time even if RE5 Swtich gets added too , Since RE5 dont have the same pace as RE4

Currently

RE4 is 11.2M
RE5 is 12.6M

Difference is 1.4M
I’m interested to see where RE4 VR ends up.

So World, Iceborne, Rise and Stories 2 sold a combined 2m but the MH franchise sold 3m overall? Where'd that extra 1m come from, none of the 3DS games moved at all?
There's also MHGU on Switch, but that still doesn't add up.

There's also MHGU on Switch, but that still doesn't add up.
It's the same for RE. Platinum games add up to 1.9m but franchise overall did 3m. At least in RE's case there's current releases probably selling under the 1m line (like Switch RE0/1, Switch 4-6, PS4/XBO RER, etc), with MH it's hard to see where an extra 1m could even come from?

I’m interested to see where RE4 VR ends up.

I think RE4 VR wont be in Platinum page since it is a licensed product published by Oculus , but wont be surprised if a PR by Oculus or even Capcom share a Sales Milestone , but yea will be interesting to see

Since LTD game unit sales are rounded to the nearest 100k, the range for (World + Iceborne + Rise + Stories 2) from July to September is [1.650.003 - 2.349.996] *
And since LTD franchise unit sales are rounded to the nearest 1m, the range for MH franchise unit sales from July to September is [2.000.001 - 3.999.999]

In the end it fits and we can narrow the actual range down to [2.000.001 - 2.349.996] + whatever the older games sold.
Remember, the "+3M" quote is not a Capcom figure but rather the difference between two heavily rounded LTD figures. If Capcom specified a quarterly figure rounded to the nearest 1m for MH franchise sales then it would have been "+2M".

* World [100.001 - 299.999] + Iceborne [200.001 - 399.999] + Rise [100.001 - 299.999] + Stories 2 [1.250.000 - 1.349.999]

Last edited:
Neither Call of Duty nor Fifa took the risk MH did (and pulled it off). What did those franchises do that equal to MH making the jump to being a niche success in Japan, to being a worldwide hit that broke all expectations, even the more optimistic ones ? Call of Duty riding the Battle Royale wave ? Yeah, no.

Changing the setting from WW2 to Modern Warfare made CoD4 very big and was a risk certainly, with unique online gameplay at the time that became a new standard for FPS.

I dislike how they milk it though.

Btw, about MH Stories 2: this result seems very positive, for the kind of production it is, and compared to their sales forecast. And it WILL continue to sell, at least a little, for awhile.

I'm finisht it right now (I played a lot around release, before being sucked by other games) and I think it really is a good spin-off: do we think that right now it can be considered safe, in terms of future installments?

It seems to me that Capcom has two pillars right now: RE and MH.
And for both they have a somehow similar approach:

RE
1) new mainline episode, first person
2) remakes, with third person view
3) they tried for "multiplayer approach" (Resistance and RE: verse) but probably aren't THAT sure about this root (considering how both projects at the end of the day have been put "inside" other full game-purchase), that started after they didn't match their sales forecast with the third path (Revelations sub-series). We will see if Outrage exists, and in which form, to judge which could be their "third path" approach to this pillar

MH
1) "home console episodes" like World, to cover the "HD online high end graphics" market
2) "hybrid episodes" like Rise, to cover the Nintendo/also Japanese crowd
3) Stories: could this become a solid "third pillar"?

Source: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Franchise Updates
Ghost'n Goblins - 4.4M (+100K)
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary - 2M (+100K)

Great results for Street Fighter 30th Anniversary! I would actually buy a "New" Street Fighter 2 with actual new characters (not just more Ken and Ryu clones) with their respective stories, backgrounds, fighting styles, and special moves.

Good results for GNG Resurrection as well! Hopefully it continues to sell well during the holidays and during various sales offerings and leads to a brand new installment.

MH
1) "home console episodes" like World, to cover the "HD online high end graphics" market
2) "hybrid episodes" like Rise, to cover the Nintendo/also Japanese crowd
3) Stories: could this become a solid "third pillar"?
Tsujimoto said in interviews around Stories 2's launch that they're hoping for the Stories franchise to function as a pillar for the MH series, so your third point is dead on.

Source: https://www.rgj.com/story/life/2021...-sequel-plans-crossovers-and-more/7961575002/
Snippet of Tsujimoto's response regarding that from the interview:
"...We hope the Stories franchise would serve as one of the pillars of the Monster Hunter series so it was important for us to foster it."

I wonder if they'll do Nikki again and try globally this time given how huge Animal Crossing is? I feel like that subseries could probably break a million too if handled right?

Tsujimoto said in interviews around Stories 2's launch that they're hoping for the Stories franchise to function as a pillar for the MH series, so your third point is dead on.

Source: https://www.rgj.com/story/life/2021...-sequel-plans-crossovers-and-more/7961575002/
Snippet of Tsujimoto's response regarding that from the interview:
"...We hope the Stories franchise would serve as one of the pillars of the Monster Hunter series so it was important for us to foster it."

Yay!
so happy to see this happening!

We basically also know Resident Evil Village shipped around 200k in October since it was at 4.8 million as of September 30th and the 5 million announcement came on October 28th

+400k for Ace Attorney means that the Great collection has been succesfull?

They are usually games that in previous quarters are close to selling 100K and when they do, Capcom update completely

Yeah, Capcom waits until 100K for updates. So something could sit at 99K for years and suddenly get that extra 1K. Doesn't mean it sold all of that 100K that quarter.

With that said, I think GAA was a success. The leaked document wanted 300K by? I Imagine it has done that by now and it hasn't even had an official sale yet (AAT picked up a lot when it started going on sale for $20)

I wish we got data like this on all companies. Even Nintendo has us go through hoops with the White Papers.

Back
Top Bottom