Ubisoft​
19​
EA Sports FIFA 23
Electronic Arts​
Steam digital​
20​
God of War Ragnarok
Sony Interactive Entertainment​

First of its kind calendar year software data for the Canadian market, I couldn't be more thrilled.

Big winners in terms of publishers for the year are clear, it's WB, ABK, EA and Nintendo, with Sony's big first-party tentpole for the calendar year being a big success for them, as well.

Last edited:
GFVkojWWMAAYGbJ

NPD is lying by implying Diablo IV, MWIII, etc, include full digital. Appreciate the OP for correcting that continuing and misleading (and purposeful?) oversight on their part.

Though other digital stores (EA App/Origin, Windows Store, EGS, GOG, etc) also aren't included so more titles like Starfield or FC24 are also missing additional sales. NPD's digital PC coverage is frankly woeful.

Great work from Zelda and Mario Wonder.
The maple leaf is because they are Canadian I take it?
Yes, specifically made by a Canadian dev studio. It is published by ESA Canada, I expect them to highlight that.
NPD is lying by implying Diablo IV, MWIII, etc, include full digital. Appreciate the OP for correcting that continuing and misleading (and purposeful?) oversight on their part.

Though other digital stores (EA App/Origin, Windows Store, EGS, GOG, etc) also aren't included so more titles like Starfield or FC24 are also missing additional sales. NPD's digital PC coverage is frankly woeful.
They do provide the distinction, but they keep it on a wholly separate supplemental data chart that I think they include with the data, as it's not ALL digital that is excluded, only certain digital storefronts that vary by publisher.

Yes, specifically made by a Canadian dev studio. It is published by ESA Canada, I expect them to highlight that.

They do provide the distinction, but they keep it on a wholly separate supplemental data chart that I think they include with the data, as it's not ALL digital that is excluded, only certain digital storefronts that vary by publisher.
Oh, so they include Windows, EA/Origin, etc, selectively? Since their PR only ever mentions Steam digital I assumed that was all we got, if the pub agreed?

Oh, so they include Windows, EA/Origin, etc, selectively? Since their PR only ever mentions Steam digital I assumed that was all we got, if the pub agreed?
It's all data volunteered to Circana as I understand it, so if the publisher has the data and willingly provides it, it's included. The exemptions are just when publishers don't want to give the data and/or are not confident they can reliably provide it by Circana's submission deadline to publish their report. This is why digital data is not provided by Nintendo, they seem to tabulate it for public consumption on a quarterly basis or when they want to wow their investors and seemingly also don't want to bother doing so regionally per title instead of just offering worldwide figures or regional figures for their entire software lineup instead of per title.

Last edited:
It's all data volunteered to Circana, so if the publisher has the data and willingly provides it, it's included. The exemptions are just when publishers don't want to give the data and/or are not confident they can reliably provide it by Circana's submission deadline to publish their report. This is why digital data is not provided by Nintendo, they seem to tabulate it for public consumption on a quarterly basis or when they want to wow their investors and seemingly also don't want to bother doing so regionally per title instead of just offering worldwide figures or regional figures for their entire software lineup.
Is it different for Canada versus US? I ask because the digital partner panel Matt releases every month specifies only data for PSN, Xbox Store, eShop and Steam is included?

Is it different for Canada versus US? I ask because the digital partner panel Matt releases every month specifies only data for PSN, Xbox Store, eShop and Steam is included?
You'll have to ask Welfare, the data Mat provides is more his specialty. I think that's just data platform holders provide for the entire digital platform, and I guess publishers don't provide their sales across their own storefronts?
Again though, I'm not the one to ask.

While I'm sure they would have loved to see Mortal Kombat 1 on some of these lists, Warner Bros. has got to be very happy with their 2023.

That's cool to see more transparency about the Canadian game market after so many year with nothing outside the Amazon yearly charts (and CESA data).

There were some Canadian sales data during the PS3/360/WII era but for the last decade just nothing.

That's at least one good thing that Circana did in 2023.

Good guess I would say.

Thanks for the answer guys.
Nice to see them highlight "homemade" games. Hopefully we see Luigi's Mansion 4 with a maple leaf soon.

Interview with ESA Canada President, future data expansion talk
Another notable Canadian trend is Nintendo games ranked higher here than they did in the U.S. When ESAC and Circana first started sharing this data last year, Hilchie observed the strong interest on social media from Nintendo fans who saw games like Fire Emblem Engage and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe chart higher in Canada than in the U.S. That continued throughout the year, and now, we can see that The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was Canada’s overall second best-seller of 2023 (versus fifth in the U.S.), even charting higher than Call of Duty.
Saying the thing some of you have been saying.
While Hilchie says that the initial boom in social media impressions from the likes of Nintendo fans is “levelling out,” he notes that it’s still early days with this sort of data. After all, Circana (formerly NPD) only just started sharing the Canadian monthly best-sellers publicly through ESAC last year, compared to the many years it’s done so in the U.S.
There's talk of expanding the data, but none of the suggestions mention hardware (BOO). I will take an expansion of the monthly data to do Top 20s like the US data, though, as that was mentioned as a possibility. But ESA Canada seem more focused on showing sales of Canadian-produced content worldwide to get a picture of how much of a contribution the Canadian industry has around the world. Which... y'know, fair, they're an industry lobby group, they are going to want data that gives as much value to them as the public.

Diablo being #6 while missing probably over half of its sales is pretty good.
That's a bit tough to know for sure. It could genuinely be that consumers are opting for console versions over PC, especially considering that anecdotal reports online suggest that, aside from losing precision spell targeting and a less ideal UI navigation, the game plays just as well or better on console. Also... Diablo hasn't had a new numbered entry in over a decade, play habits change with enough time, and Steam sales estimates don't give the impression of PC sales being stronger when it has over 12 million players as of last August (even accounting for the sales on Battle.net).

TL; DR - I'd need to see the actual PC sales data before I would confidently say that half the game's sales are on PC.

That's a bit tough to know for sure. It could genuinely be that consumers are opting for console versions over PC, especially considering that anecdotal reports online suggest that, aside from losing precision spell targeting and a less ideal UI navigation, the game plays just as well or better on console. Also... Diablo hasn't had a new numbered entry in over a decade, play habits change with enough time, and Steam sales estimates don't give the impression of PC sales being stronger when it has over 12 million players as of last August (even accounting for the sales on Battle.net).

TL; DR - I'd need to see the actual PC sales data before I would confidently say that half the game's sales are on PC.
I only found numbers for launch month in the UK, but there it was 57% PC.

https://www.installbaseforum.com/th...:text=57% of Diablo 4's sales,S and X and PS4.

When the highest estimated WW Steam sales figure for it comes from VG Insights at 609K, unless Battle.net is making up a supermajority of PC sales, I have my doubts it's reached half of total sales on PC. And considering making CoD Battle.net exclusive was deemed a losing strategy by ABK, my doubts seem well-founded.

When the highest estimated WW Steam sales figure for it comes from VG Insights at 609K, unless Battle.net is making up a supermajority of PC sales, I have my doubts it's reached half of total sales on PC. And considering making CoD Battle.net exclusive was deemed a losing strategy by ABK, my doubts seem well-founded.

It would be a supermajority of PC sales.
Diablo 4 released worldwide on June 5th 2023.
It was exclusive to Blizzard's Battle.net store until it released on Steam with the release of Season 2 on October 17th.
To note that this Steam release of Diablo 4 was not known to players until the 4th of October(Blizzard announcement)
This is only the second title from Blizzard to ever come to Steam(previously all their releases were through B.net)
The 1st was Overwatch 2 back in August 2023.

It would be a supermajority of PC sales.
Diablo 4 released worldwide on June 5th 2023.
It was exclusive to Blizzard's Battle.net store until it released on Steam with the release of Season 2 on October 17th.
To note that this Steam release of Diablo 4 was not known to players until the 4th of October(Blizzard announcement)
This is only the second title from Blizzard to ever come to Steam(previously all their releases were through B.net)
The 1st was Overwatch 2 back in August 2023.
OK, but this still looks like a justification, like it's working backwards from the assumptive position that D4 absolutely has a majority of its sales on PC rather than establishing that as fact.

When we know at least roughly know how well the games that bookend D4 on the Circana lists performed, if we believe that PC sales are more than 50% of its sales and we know PC sales are basically untracked, we're saying that D4 would be close to if not absolutely rivalling the wizard game for the #1 spot on Circana's charts this year. I know Diablo is well-liked, but is it that level of universally well-received by consumers? From the data we have, my gut says no.

So it leads me to believe that the game is not as PC sales heavy as is being assumed, unless data can be produced to validate the assumption that PC makes up the majority of sales, in which case I concede to the evidence.

OK, but this still looks like a justification, like it's working backwards from the assumptive position that D4 absolutely has a majority of its sales on PC rather than establishing that as fact.

When we know at least roughly know how well the games that bookend D4 on the Circana lists performed, if we believe that PC sales are more than 50% of its sales and we know PC sales are basically untracked, we're saying that D4 would be close to if not absolutely rivalling the wizard game for the #1 spot on Circana's charts this year. I know Diablo is well-liked, but is it that level of universally well-received by consumers? From the data we have, my gut says no.

So it leads me to believe that the game is not as PC sales heavy as is being assumed, unless data can be produced to validate the assumption that PC makes up the majority of sales, in which case I concede to the evidence.
It made $666M in revenue within the first 5 days of release. Diablo 3 sold 30M copies in 3 years (despite horrible player sentiment).

The franchise is massive and can certainly go toe-to-toe with Harry Potter. By the time the expansion for D4 comes out (this summer I think?) I wouldn't be surprised if it comfortably out-revenued Harry Potter.

@Bold, I'm not attempting to make that claim.
I was just providing insight into the history of Blizzard/Battle.net if you were unaware of it to point out that the delayed Steam release would be a minuscule fraction of the total PC sales, nothing more.

I too would think it very difficult to say with any degree of confidence the split between console and PC.
Considering the black box nature of Battle.net and/or Activision only reporting pure revenue for their divisions with little to no nitty gritty details, it's all fairly intangible(at least to me).
We might also be getting less data now that Activision is under Microsoft/Xbox as well?

It made $666M in revenue within the first 5 days of release. Diablo 3 sold 30M copies in 3 years (despite horrible player sentiment).

The franchise is massive and can certainly go toe-to-toe with Harry Potter.
By the time the expansion for D4 comes out (this summer I think?) I wouldn't be surprised if it comfortably out-revenued Harry Potter.
That was almost a decade ago, without a day-and-date console release, and it did 12 million copies in its first year. Stack that up to the wizard game's first year. Is this an IP that can manage to outpace its preceding (and as you remind, ill-received) game by another 6 million copies or so launch-aligned in its first year (accounting for this being a chart based on revenue figures and with MTX present in D4 only)?

I'm not disagreeing that D4 probably did impressive numbers, it assuredly did when one accounts for PC, nothing can diminish that. But the odds of what you're suggesting need some foundational basis, because the information we have gives either a differing impression or an unrealistic expectation.

Last edited:
the fact starfield ranks so high continues to be crazy. ms has no right having an exclusive in the top 20 let alone top ten, given it's on gamepass and xbs sales are supposedly so poor. i guess steam sales alone helped here if they count, but if we go by usa steam is very small for starfield.

Little bump here, I hope it is not undesired.
I was browsing the new French 2023 market thread here and I saw the Diablo 4 figures.

I could not help but recall this little impasse we were left in as far as console/PC split due to no Steam/B.net for Circana from ATVI which covers US/CA.

France - 2023
Diablo IV
PC: 314,413
Consoles: 168,083
65% PC
35% Console

Small caveat that bundles are not included.
But the bundles for D4 were only for Series X consoles, so that would be a very neglible amount for a market like France and the fact Series X were not really produced at a big rate in Q1-Q2 last year.
So in conclusion, in this particular market, Diablo 4 is seemingly a PC centric game.

Since the creation of this thread we've also had the 2023 UK data with this thread.

The charts say total sales for Diablo 4 were 442,874 with 67,700 physical.
We also see that console digital sales for were 150,895 and 224,289 for PC.

With the very likely situation that all physical sales are consoles, this would lead us into:

PC: 224,289
Consoles: 218,595(150,895+67,700)

That's pretty much 50/50 for the UK market.

Pretty noticeable difference between the two.
I looked at their PC splits for other titles and in general France and the UK are quite similar across the board besides Diablo 4 which looks to be an outlier.
Is it just a difference due to Xbox being a stronger brand in the UK versus continental Europe?
Was there more marketing done there? What about those Series X bundles?

With this in mind, global sales figures is probably very PC centric when you include the PC centric European markets(like Germany, with 600k sales within the launch month) and the VERY VERY PC centric Asian markets.

That being said, that's global.

With this new data, it does seem plausible(at least in my mind) that the PC version would possibly account for half the units sold, imo.

But what do you think?

Also, do we have any idea about console sales for Canada?
One of the reason why I asked earlier in this post if Canada would behave more like the UK(50%)or France(65%) is that I have don't have a concrete idea about the strength of Xbox in Canada(relative to other markets) and I was hoping you might know something about that.

With this new data, it does seem plausible(at least in my mind) that the PC version would possibly account for half the units sold, imo.

But what do you think?

Also, do we have any idea about console sales for Canada?
One of the reason why I asked earlier in this post if Canada would behave more like the UK(50%)or France(65%) is that I have don't have a concrete idea about the strength of Xbox in Canada(relative to other markets) and I was hoping you might know something about that.
First, the Xbox brand has never been that strong here, even in the peak of its popularity with the 360, it was far weaker in terms of prominence in Canada, and that has made its descent with Xbox One and XBS that much more precipitous.

Based on what little historical data I have, I can give an idea of PC sales in Canada, but it is old data that existed when there was still physical media releases and before all-digital obscured PC software sales in Canada, so… keep that in mind.

That all said, my observations of the PC market in Canada is that sales of PC games were strongest for games that were exclusive to PC or provided the undeniably most ideal play experience. So we’re looking at your Warcrafts, your OG Fallouts, your Elder Scrolls, etc. But once PC exclusivity stopped being the case and formerly PC-only franchises began to be developed with console interfaces in mind even prior to Steam’s ascendency, console sales began taking a far more prominent place for multi-platform releases in a way that surpassed other regions like France which maintained much healthier PC sales.

And while the Canadian market is unique from the US in many ways, I’ll be the first to say that it’s not that unique when it comes to more broad market trends in North America, so I’m inclined to think the same is true in the US. PS and Xbox consoles making up ~75% of Fortnite’s revenue (according to Epic v. Apple court documents) is something that immediately springs to mind to validate that.
Not the first of its kind - I do have the annual software charts for 2004-2006 - but yeah, these are the first ones that I've seen in a really LONG time. Thanks!
It might be mostly useless, but I’ll take any historic data I can get, so if you got links, DM me.

First, the Xbox brand has never been that strong here, even in the peak of its popularity with the 360, it was far weaker in terms of prominence in Canada, and that has made its descent with Xbox One and XBS that much more precipitous.

Thanks, I was never much of an Xbox player and haven't been shopping physically in quite some time, so I had/have no idea about the brand in Canada.

Based on what little historical data I have, I can give an idea of PC sales in Canada, but it is old data that existed when there was still physical media releases and before all-digital obscured PC software sales in Canada, so… keep that in mind.

That all said, my observations of the PC market in Canada is that sales of PC games were strongest for games that were exclusive to PC or provided the undeniably most ideal play experience. So we’re looking at your Warcrafts, your OG Fallouts, your Elder Scrolls, etc. But once PC exclusivity stopped being the case and formerly PC-only franchises began to be developed with console interfaces in mind even prior to Steam’s ascendency, console sales began taking a far more prominent place for multi-platform releases in a way that surpassed other regions like France which maintained much healthier PC sales.

And while the Canadian market is unique from the US in many ways, I’ll be the first to say that it’s not that unique when it comes to more broad market trends in North America, so I’m inclined to think the same is true in the US. PS and Xbox consoles making up ~75% of Fortnite’s revenue (according to Epic v. Apple court documents) is something that immediately springs to mind to validate that.

Correct me if I'm interpreting you wrong here, because you did not directly answer.
It sounds like, the additional UK/FR data from 2023, reinforces your belief that the Diablo 4 PC sales would be under 50% for NA(US and Canada).
Following your logic, this would be due to the fact that console gaming is stronger in NA than pretty much everywhere else where folks would be playing Diablo 4(UK/FR/EU/Asia(Non-JP)/RotW).

Thanks, I was never much of an Xbox player and haven't been shopping physically in quite some time, so I had/have no idea about the brand in Canada.

Correct me if I'm interpreting you wrong here, because you did not directly answer.
It sounds like, the additional UK/FR data from 2023, reinforces your belief that the Diablo 4 PC sales would be under 50% for NA(US and Canada).
Following your logic, this would be due to the fact that console gaming is stronger in NA than pretty much everywhere else where folks would be playing Diablo 4(UK/FR/EU/Asia(Non-JP)/RotW).
Problem is that I can’t speak to the European market, I’m not well read in it. But given how resilient the PC market in Europe has been even as far back as the 1980s, I’m not precisely shocked a game sells better on PC there.

Looking at the market the thread is actually discussing, though? I can give my interpretation of how the market might react based on admittedly limited historic sales data and how I think that may (key word) at least partly reflect what’s happening in the US, as well. Additionally, more current data from current games isn’t painting a picture of over half of D4’s sales being on PC in North America. What I have and will continue to concede is that PC sales of the game aren’t some small number. But over half of sales remains a stretch until some data that gives any solid indication is released. Maybe Microsoft will be so kind as to relieve me of this discussion and release data at the end of their fiscal year that will give a sense of who ends up being right.

LTD Market-share in Canada:

PS4 - 61% / XB1 - 39%

Something that close doesn't exist in mainland Europe.

I think what make you saying that is the Canada/US comparaison and yes in that regard Canada is lower but you need to remember that US is the strongest Xbox market worldwide.
Evry other country have Xbox smaller.
Canada is among the best Xbox markets with UK and USA.

Problem is that I can’t speak to the European market, I’m not well read in it. But given how resilient the PC market in Europe has been even as far back as the 1980s, I’m not precisely shocked a game sells better on PC there.
PC market size varied a lot depending in the country in Europe.

UK, France and Spain tend to be very console centric.

However eastern european countries are very PC centric:
Germany, Russia, Nordics, Switzerland for exemple.

In some eastern european countries on an SKU top 20 you would have a huge batch of PC games.
Some eastern european countries don't even have EA Sports FC as theirs best selling game too.

For this reason GSD is more serious than Circana for PC tracking.
Sales are not limited to Steam but also include battle.net, Origin, Epic and Uplay for exemple.
Circana have only access to Steam data.

In my opinion it's worth pointing that Starfield is very strong in Canada like in the US.
The game made it into the top 10 (#11 in the US) while in Europe it was missing from the general top 20.

LTD Market-share in Canada:

PS4 - 61% / XB1 - 39%

Something that close doesn't exist in mainland Europe.

I think what make you saying that is the Canada/US comparaison and yes in that regard Canada is lower but you need to remember that US is the strongest Xbox market worldwide.
Evry other country have Xbox smaller.
Canada is among the best Xbox markets with UK and USA.
Shouldn't normalize the PS/XB dichotomy, just gotta throw that out there. With that in mind (and leaving out Wii U as statistical noise), XB1 was 25% of the total console market here.

That is a sharp drop from where it was the cycle before (37.9% when calculated with Wii in the mix, 59.3% without it so as to compare to your numbers), far sharper than in the US and UK, more in line with the drops seen in Europe in the 360 to XB1 transition, it just had higher to fall from here (360 was much stronger in Canada than it ever was in Europe, didn't really obfuscate that), so the units sold collapsed a lot more here even with similar drops as a percentage value. It also means there were more consumers to potentially retain.

But that retention seems to have hit the shitter even in the 2 large market strongholds for Xbox, so when sales were dropping at European percentage levels in Canada already, what do you think that means? Everything on the ground tells me not to expect much consumer retention at all. We're getting a lot closer to European sales with every hardware cycle, we just took longer to get there as people needed more time to give up the ghost.
In my opinion it's worth pointing that Starfield is very strong in Canada like in the US.
The game made it into the top 10 (#11 in the US) while in Europe it was missing from the general top 20.
Starfield was available on PC day and date (and MS provides that data to Circana), and for anyone who didn't have or want an Xbox Series (which is a LOT of people right now), it may as well have been a PC exclusive of the next big game from Bethesda, which means it'd fall in line with other PC-exclusive release sales in Canada (and the US at this point, if we're all honest about it).
PC market size varied a lot depending in the country in Europe.

UK, France and Spain tend to be very console centric.
6 of the top 10 best-sellers in France in 2022 were console exclusives, so it looks to me like the French console market is moved by said exclusives. Some data on multi-plat splits for games with PC day and date releases other than Diablo 4 would be well-served to make your point a lot clearer for this discussion, because otherwise it makes the D4 sales figures appear uniquely exceptional.

Like I said, I await the MS fiscal year end for a sales metric update that may put this discussion to bed, because it's spun the thread wildly off-topic, and I'm not thrilled with defending my position that the idea that more than half of D4's sales were on PC reads as wishful thinking, especially when attempts to refute that present incomplete data.

Back
Top Bottom