• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Acquisitions in the Gaming Industry - Discussion, Evaluation and Predictions

I think that if Microsoft were to buy SEGA Sammy it would be mostly to get their PC business (Total War, Football Manager, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Humankind, Two Point) and everything would stay multiplatform.

Now that you mention this , I think the scenario that can make more sense is MS ( or any non-Japanese company in general) buying Sega West and their PC Centric IPs , but unlike Square Enix West then Sega West is pretty healthy and profitable for Sega video games division so the Split won't happen anytime soon

Now that you mention this , I think the scenario that can make more sense is MS ( or any non-Japanese company in general) buying Sega West and their PC Centric IPs , but unlike Square Enix West then Sega West is pretty healthy and profitable for Sega video games division so the Split won't happen anytime soon
They would also get Relic and Creative Assembly (makers of Age of Empires IV and Halo Wars 2 respectively), but like you say there is no way SEGA Sammy sells those studios and IPs because they make a lot of money. The only realistic option would be to buy the entire company if they were ever willing to sell.

Sammy business is useless for Microsoft and I don't believe the company would agree to split and sell only Sega, so this acquisition is very unlikely in my opinion.

What should happen is Microsoft and Sega keep the close relationship they have right now.

I'm surprised Sega got Rovio below the previous offer for them ($800m from Playtika just 3 months ago). They might view Sega as a more secure and advantageous parent company?

Can't wait for AM2's Angry Birds arcade game.

I think that if Microsoft were to buy SEGA Sammy it would be mostly to get their PC business (Total War, Football Manager, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Humankind, Two Point) and everything would stay multiplatform.

But the Pachinko and resort business divisions make it more complicated than that; I also doubt they want to sell right now.

Sega resort business is such big mess. I don't think any smart company will want anywhere close to that mess.

Today we are announcing that Brazil-based game studio, AQUIRIS, is joining Epic Games. This acquisition builds upon an investment that Epic made in AQUIRIS in early 2022.

The AQUIRIS team will be the foundation of Epic Games Brasil, the first Epic studio in Latin America. Founded in 2007, AQUIRIS is best known for its award-winning titles including Wonderbox and the Horizon Chase franchise. Headquartered in the city of Porto Alegre, the AQUIRIS team of developers will join Epic Games to create groundbreaking content and social experiences within Fortnite.

“Joining Epic Games builds on our successes in creating memorable games including Wonderbox, Horizon Chase 2 and Looney Tunes World of Mayhem, which we will continue to operate. We are delighted to leverage our experience using Unreal Engine on game development to contribute to the future of Fortnite,” said Mauricio Longoni, CEO of AQUIRIS and now studio director of Epic Games Brasil. “AQUIRIS has been on the forefront of game development in Brazil and Latin America, and becoming part of Epic Games will spotlight our region’s developers for the entire industry.”

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/news/aquiris-is-joining-epic-and-becoming-epic-games-brasil

Focus Entertainment takes Dovetail Games
Acquisition of Dovetail Games Group Focus Entertainment today announced the acquisition of 100% of Railsimulator.com, the parent company of Dovetail Games’ group (DTG), a best-in-class gaming company in simulation genre, alongside senior management. For years, the UK-based studio has adopted a robust business model based on synergies between full game releases and a strong live service content strategy providing recurring revenue.

The integration of this award-winning developer and publisher (£15 million of revenues expected for the FY ended March 31st 2023) is a step forward in the strategy of Focus Entertainment and it is expected to be somewhat accretive in terms of percentage margin standpoint.

catalog

Yeah, Horizon Chase was awesome! The Senna Forever DLC was even better than the base game, IMO. I'm hopeful that Epic will be funding similar games from them.

Indeed. Horizon Chase is the best Top Gear spiritual successor. If epic acquiring them= dead of those titles. I will curse Epic forever lol.

Aquiris horizon chase is such great game. Hoped that this acquisation wont kill more of horizon chase sequels.

Yeah, Horizon Chase was awesome! The Senna Forever DLC was even better than the base game, IMO. I'm hopeful that Epic will be funding similar games from them.

Indeed. Horizon Chase is the best Top Gear spiritual successor. If epic acquiring them= dead of those titles. I will curse Epic forever lol.

According to this , We should see some games from Acquiris that is funded by Epic , unless plans got changed

https://www.ign.com/articles/epic-games-invests-in-brazilian-developer-aquiris

Fortnite creator Epic Games has invested in and signed a publishing agreement with Brazilian developer Aquiris.

The studio is best known for the Horizon Chase series and its Apple Arcade release Wonderbox, but Aquiris is also working on a new, currently unannounced game.

Epic Games will publish it alongside an undisclosed number of other future titles, with Aquiris saying the investment will shape the next 15 years of the studio.

But 100% we will get Horizon Chase 2 since it already released on Apple Arcade

You seem to lack an understanding of how share structures and corporate governance works. That’s ok, it’s not common knowledge and I hope I don’t sound condescending.

Treasury shares are not used for voting. Because technically, all the assets (cash, shares etc) belong to shareholders. All shareholders in aggregate represent Nintendo and the board exists to serve those shareholders. The board members cannot use the treasury shares for themselves. Board members can vote to recommend deals and other motions but it’s shareholders who get the final vote on any major corporate governance.

If you want to know why Nintendo bought back shares. It had nothing to do with control. Buybacks are done to reduce free float and increase share price.

Do you understand now why the treasury shares are irrelevant for the purpose of voting?

Nintendo is insulated from hostile foreign acquirers thanks to the Japanese government but the board is obligated to consider all serious offers, which is why they declined to include anti takeover provisions during their latest board meeting.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/management/governance.html

Edit: no more comments from me on this topic.
I know what treasury shares are, I just don't believe succumbing to pure growth driven investor voting is the inevitable fate here, there are other mechanisms for staff to protect their interests. Which is why the makeup of Nintendo's actual ownership is key and the abundance of cross-holders (and again, Abe's regulations against this was the reason for their bank buyback, not bouncing back the sharevalue which was sharply rising anyway) is what you need to be taking a real look at.

The reality is unless the board itself is in favor of accepting an offer, it likely won't happen. Not when most of their investors are Japanese business partners or institutions, many of whom Nintendo is also a cross-holder in as well, who place cultural collectivism above Western capitalism (for good or ill).

I know what treasury shares are, I just don't believe succumbing to pure growth driven investor voting is the inevitable fate here, there are other mechanisms for staff to protect their interests. Which is why the makeup of Nintendo's actual ownership is key and the abundance of cross-holders (and again, Abe's regulations against this was the reason for their bank buyback, not bouncing back the sharevalue which was sharply rising anyway) is what you need to be taking a real look at.

The reality is unless the board itself is in favor of accepting an offer, it likely won't happen. Not when most of their investors are Japanese business partners or institutions, many of whom Nintendo is also a cross-holder in as well, who place cultural collectivism above Western capitalism (for good or ill).
Foreign institutions and individuals are the majority shareholders (of the free float). Japanese business partners are minority shareholders. Employees are also minority shareholders. The current structure protects them from foreign buyers but if Toyota or SoftBank wanted to buy Nintendo, the deal would go through. Board would have no reason to reject an offer with an appropriate premium, that’s their fiduciary duty.

Foreign institutions and individuals are the majority shareholders (of the free float). Japanese business partners are minority shareholders. Employees are also minority shareholders. The current structure protects them from foreign buyers but if Toyota or SoftBank wanted to buy Nintendo, the deal would go through. Board would have no reason to reject an offer with an appropriate premium, that’s their fiduciary duty.
Public float includes the Japanese cross holders which aren't singularly pursuing a cashout and I don't believe the majority of total shares are actually held outside Japan. Many Japanese pension/retirement funds also hold Nintendo because they routinely give relatively high dividends being debt free and cash rich (near 4% per share). Again, the mindset for holders isn't as singular as you seem to think, even with foreign investors like the Public Investment Fund's aims with their Nintendo investment aren't about immediate wealth generation (they already have more of that than they know what to do with). You think it would auto pass because a premium offer would basically have to, I'm telling you that's not necessarily the prevailing investor mindset. And this is before employees really exert influence, if the business plan isn't also appealing they'll kill any merger.

Mitsubishi might be even a better partner than Toyota but eventually, we are just talking about who is a better fit to marry Tom Cruise: Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse.

Nomura, Softbank, Toyota, Mitsubishi (or hell, even NEC or Kyocera) can help Nintendo's management but they cannot help with nurturing talents. Mind you, the rise of AI might reshuffle the cards but we are still talking about something that's at best two years away.

All in all, it's a fruitless discussion. One of the brightest stars of Nikkei is under no pressure to sell. And they won't. They are about as stable as it gets.

Public float includes the Japanese cross holders which aren't singularly pursuing a cashout and I don't believe the majority of total shares are actually held outside Japan. Many Japanese pension/retirement funds also hold Nintendo because they routinely give relatively high dividends being debt free and cash rich (near 4% per share). Again, the mindset for holders isn't as singular as you seem to think, even with foreign investors like the Public Investment Fund's aims with their Nintendo investment aren't about immediate wealth generation (they already have more of that than they know what to do with). You think it would auto pass because a premium offer would basically have to, I'm telling you that's not necessarily the prevailing investor mindset. And this is before employees really exert influence, if the business plan isn't also appealing they'll kill any merger.
PIF job is to diverse the wealth of Saudi Arabia and provide ROI. Like any fund, the key metric is IRR, which is an annual return metric. Ofcourse, like any investor, they want a return in the shortest time frame. Same applies for most of their institutional investors. Whether they are foreign or domestic. Board members are aware that their job and legal duty is to maximise shareholder value. One of the reasons they have independent board directors is to ensure they are held to that duty.

Mitsubishi might be even a better partner than Toyota but eventually, we are just talking about who is a better fit to marry Tom Cruise: Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse.

Nomura, Softbank, Toyota, Mitsubishi (or hell, even NEC or Kyocera) can help Nintendo's management but they cannot help with nurturing talents. Mind you, the rise of AI might reshuffle the cards but we are still talking about something that's at best two years away.

All in all, it's a fruitless discussion. One of the brightest stars of Nikkei is under no pressure to sell. And they won't. They are about as stable as it gets.

For the most part, I agree that it’s unlikely we will see anyone attempt to buy Nintendo. The premium would be high, would likely require a cash/debt deal (doing a stock deal is a tough sell) and very few domestic companies have the firepower or the appetite for such a deal.

PIF job is to diverse the wealth of Saudi Arabia and provide ROI. Like any fund, the key metric is IRR, which is an annual return metric. Ofcourse, like any investor, they want a return in the shortest time frame. Same applies for most of their institutional investors. Whether they are foreign or domestic. Board members are aware that their job and legal duty is to maximise shareholder value. One of the reasons they have independent board directors is to ensure they are held to that duty.

For the most part, I agree that it’s unlikely we will see anyone attempt to buy Nintendo. The premium would be high, would likely require a cash/debt deal (doing a stock deal is a tough sell) and very few domestic companies have the firepower or the appetite for such a deal.
Who has even close to enough money to buy Nintendo? If Activision is a 69-billion-dollar acquisition, then Nintendo is over 140 billion. Maybe much more. The value of the company is not even measurable at this point. You may as well be asking who had enough money to buy Disney at the height of Frozen and Marvels peak.

Yeah, we can agree that an official buy-in offer should be evaulated and taken into consideration, but at the same time it is out of reach for basically every Japanese company (I mean, looking at Nikkei charts and so on) and could/would also be fight back (within the limits allowed by the law) by Nintendo board for many cultural/identity reasons too

On the other hand more on topic: we are continue seeing small scale/medium scale acquisitions by many companies while Nintendo swems pretty stale under this point of view

Apparently, because they bought Next level games
But also they operate outside the mere videogame landscape qith acquisition and partnership

Do you think that they see themselves strong enough in terms of videogame output (thanks to the unified pipeline, instead of two separated hardwares as before, but also through third party partnerships with Koei or Bandai) and consequently more keen to invest diverging their budgets into the media/crossmedia entertainment landscape?

Yeah, we can agree that an official buy-in offer should be evaulated and taken into consideration, but at the same time it is out of reach for basically every Japanese company (I mean, looking at Nikkei charts and so on) and could/would also be fight back (within the limits allowed by the law) by Nintendo board for many cultural/identity reasons too

On the other hand more on topic: we are continue seeing small scale/medium scale acquisitions by many companies while Nintendo swems pretty stale under this point of view

Apparently, because they bought Next level games
But also they operate outside the mere videogame landscape qith acquisition and partnership

Do you think that they see themselves strong enough in terms of videogame output (thanks to the unified pipeline, instead of two separated hardwares as before, but also through third party partnerships with Koei or Bandai) and consequently more keen to invest diverging their budgets into the media/crossmedia entertainment landscape?
Nintendo has for decades had the strategy of not buying the companies that make their games. Game Freak, HAL, Intelligent Systems, etc. I don't know if I can say if they see them selves strong enough in their output or not, but I don't believe they think acquisition of other developers is the inherent solution to that problem.

Actually, and I know you were trying to change the topic which is commendable, even if someone was to buy Nintendo, what would that look like, since simply buying Nintendo (through hostile take over) does not guarantee access to all of Nintendo's IPs directly.

Nintendo has for decades had the strategy of not buying the companies that make their games. Game Freak, HAL, Intelligent Systems, etc. I don't know if I can say if they see them selves strong enough in their output or not, but I don't believe they think acquisition of other developers is the inherent solution to that problem.

Actually, and I know you were trying to change the topic which is commendable, even if someone was to buy Nintendo, what would that look like, since simply buying Nintendo (through hostile take over) does not guarantee access to all of Nintendo's IPs directly.
A lot of publishers in Japan have at least one major IP like that, where they don't own the rights in full and/or the talent is separate from the company, and it's often the most lucrative ones that are like that. Often enough that it feels like it's by design. Nintendo is by far the most guilty of this.

For Nintendo, it's Pokemon, Kirby and Fire Emblem.
For Square Enix, it's DQ.
For Bandai Namco, it's the Shueisha licenses and From games.

There's other examples but these are the standouts.

People wanting to buy Nintendo are going to want the IP that makes the largest amount of money for them and... surprise, that's Pokemon, by a landslide.

Last edited:

Imagine buiyng Nintendo and not being able to develop a Pokemon game just because of that acquisition lol
Thet would be funny

Btw, I know they prefer not tu buy closer companies like Intelligent System or HAL and that Next level was the exception (being Western, and with CEO and owner wanting to sell/retire) and I wasnt implying the will or should change this

On the contrary

They prefer to defend their IPs as you suggested, but also to keep OPEX under control, partnering with external works for hire in order to avoid uncontrolled growth of internal team members

I wonder if the money they could spend in smalller acquisition are going elsewhere (like Universal) also because they are pretty confident about their man poeer/partner business model for their core business

No, "like any investor" is an assumption you're making. The PIF's aim is diversification but it's a long term growth strategy and there are likely other motivations at play here (Prince's personal interests, whitewashing the crown's image, etc). And this is just one example, again your assumption on an immediate yes is a superficial one based on whatever's the biggest short term ROI and ignores the complexities of these investors (indeed Nintendo's not a stock likely to draw investors chasing a quick flip in the first place). I'm telling you, don't be so sure with many of these holders.

More to the point, this forum (between this thread and the recent MC thread) has given 100 times more consideration to a Nintendo-SIE merger than Sony literally ever will, when their only consideration of it would have ever been "horizontal merger of 2 out of 3 platform holders (and of the only 2 market-relevant platform holders in Japan), why even bother entertaining such a notion?" Would have never left the random shower-thought stage. Literally nothing more needed to be said beyond that; it's not "unlikely" as @Baki has previously suggested, it is nigh-impossible, the likelihood of an attempt succeeding (both in the actual agreement to an M&A AND in getting regulatory approval) being less than the odds of any one of us suffering an injury on the toilet in our lifetime (around 1 in 10,000, so you know). Which is why it hasn't even been suggested by anyone relevant to such a possibility in over 2 decades, not since Microsoft considered it as a vertical acquisition method for entering the console manufacturer space. And we all know how that went down.

This conversation will go on the record as the biggest waste of everyone's time this forum has ever generated, and I shudder to think of anything that could outdo it.

Tencent is ramping up overseas investment in gaming assets, seeking to diversify away from China even as Beijing lifts punishing restrictions on the industry.

China's largest listed company by market capitalisation is aiming to invest in or purchase gaming studios after slowing the pace of new investments towards the end of 2022, according to four people familiar with the matter. European gaming studios are the primary target, they said.

"Martin has been banging the table on the M&A front again," said one person close to Tencent, referring to the group's president Martin Lau, who is in charge of its overseas expansion.

While Tencent has been building up its portfolio of overseas gaming studios for several years, the majority of its investments had still been in China before the crackdown on gaming.

"Prior to 2020, Tencent's gaming investments used to be heavily slanted towards Chinese companies. Now it's getting to the point where the majority of investments are overseas," said Daniel Ahmad, gaming analyst at Niko Partners.

Company insiders fear this trend could provoke regulatory scrutiny, with government officials pressuring companies to focus on bolstering the domestic economy. "It's only a matter of time before regulators begin reviewing and scrutinising overseas investment portfolios," said one Tencent manager.

Tencent faces a new deep-pocketed competitor in snapping up gaming assets. Through its Public Investment Fund, the Saudi Arabian government is investing $38bn to develop and acquire hit games as part of a broader push to become less dependent on oil sales.

Analysts said Tencent's industry expertise made it an attractive investor partner. "Tencent has a far greater ability to work with and help studios it acquires, but the emergence of new bidders could make deals more expensive for Tencent," said Bernstein's Zhu.

The Saudi Arabian fund's entry will not deter the Chinese internet giant, as its domestic empire is being forced to downsize under regulatory pressure.

With Chinese regulators wary of Tencent's large domestic market share, it has no alternative but to go overseas, said one person close to the company's management team.

Antagonizing another user, low effort
More to the point, this forum (between this thread and the recent MC thread) has given 100 times more consideration to a Nintendo-SIE merger than Sony literally ever will, when their only consideration of it would have ever been "horizontal merger of 2 out of 3 platform holders (and of the only 2 market-relevant platform holders in Japan), why even bother entertaining such a notion?" Would have never left the random shower-thought stage. Literally nothing more needed to be said beyond that; it's not "unlikely" as @Baki has previously suggested, it is nigh-impossible, the likelihood of an attempt succeeding (both in the actual agreement to an M&A AND in getting regulatory approval) being less than the odds of any one of us suffering an injury on the toilet in our lifetime (around 1 in 10,000, so you know). Which is why it hasn't even been suggested by anyone relevant to such a possibility in over 2 decades, not since Microsoft considered it as a vertical acquisition method for entering the console manufacturer space. And we all know how that went down.

This conversation will go on the record as the biggest waste of everyone's time this forum has ever generated, and I shudder to think of anything that could outdo it.
Looks like I ruffled your feathers for pointing out some basic facts about corporate governance because I dared to mention your favourite company.

Looks like I ruffled your feathers for pointing out some basic facts about corporate governance because I dared to mention your favourite company.
He's not wrong about it being a shower thought. Having gone back and read the Media Create thread, you only brought it up as seemingly a way to deflect conversation about Sony's failure in Japan. "They've done everything they can, why not just buy Nintendo?" As Ktslime said:
"The only way for Sony to succeed in Japan is if they bought Nintendo" is a ludicrous statement devoid any sort of actual insight or investigation into what the Japanese market values in a video game.

Last edited:
Like i mention before on MC thread. Nintendo at its weaker time during Gamecube era tried to acquire Bandai and immediately get hard stopped by Japanese regulator due to fear of domination of Nintendo toward japanese entertainment business.

Imagine the current Nintendo at its peak popularity and actually dominating japanese gaming market or even entertaintment business like theme park and toursim attraction. To have a merge with Sony Playstation the only company to actually compete with Nintendo in Japan? It is far far more possible for Nintendo to become Saudi Arabia owned company over that Merger to ever happened.

You say this, but how does an M&A that everyone seems to acknowledge will fail generate shareholder value, as you say is Nintendo’s obligation? Acquisition targets rarely ever come out of a failed M&A with a better share price than when they started (the acquirer isn’t out of the woods, either). So… if Sony would recognize that it’s the longest of long shots as to not be worth entertaining, as would Nintendo, there is no shareholder value to be gained in moving forward with such an idea on either side of such a proposed transaction. So even on the premise of corporate governance as you say, it’s antithetical to it. The very basis of your persistence in this discussion does not stand up to the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

And frankly, I was more taken aback by you thinking Sony wouldn’t recognize this as a non-starter long enough to ever entertain the idea. They’re a lot of things, but oblivious? Nah.

No way of knowing how much of that affects SIE aka gaming which is what this thread is about. But if it did, I'm sure it'd miraculously rise again should Microsoft win their appeal and go on to secure ABK.
I sort of doubt it, the M&A Strategies at SIE and MSG seem pretty divergent and not so directly related.

Who has even close to enough money to buy Nintendo? If Activision is a 69-billion-dollar acquisition, then Nintendo is over 140 billion. Maybe much more. The value of the company is not even measurable at this point. You may as well be asking who had enough money to buy Disney at the height of Frozen and Marvels peak.

I'm a week late but why would we assume that because ABK went for 69 billion that Nintendo would go for over 140 billion? The organizations have had comparable enterprise values for the last 5 years. Whatever intrinsic value Nintendo holds in the gaming industry should already be baked into their valuation. Why would they go for such an extremely high premium? Forget who has the money for it. What method are you using to generate a premium here? I can't think of a reason to think that kind of valuation would ever be on the table.

I'm a week late but why would we assume that because ABK went for 69 billion that Nintendo would go for over 140 billion? The organizations have had comparable enterprise values for the last 5 years. Whatever intrinsic value Nintendo holds in the gaming industry should already be baked into their valuation. Why would they go for such an extremely high premium? Forget who has the money for it. What method are you using to generate a premium here? I can't think of a reason to think that kind of valuation would ever be on the table.
They wouldn’t. If it’s a cash/debt deal, the premium would be pretty standard. That said,
only few companies would be able to buy Nintendo because they are a darling of the Japanese Nikkei. Japanese government would likely want to keep it under domestic ownership. Only a handful of companies could afford it and even fewer that would want to buy Nintendo.

Back
Top Bottom